ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Yeah. Wouldn't you guess, Hart was great. The Flyers defense, my god the odd man breaks they give up. Yikes.
Yeah that’s what was frustrating... the Pens must have had a dozen odd man breaks. Oh well. Some nights that’s the way it goes. At least Washington and the Islanders didn’t gain points.

Hot goalie but man did the Pens play a great game. At least until the last 5 minutes. They were completely dominant. And you wonder when they are all healthy, lines 1 thru 4 might be the best in the league.

This is for older, and I mean OLDER Pittsburgh fans....but ........I gotta feeling..............

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Hot goalie but man did the Pens play a great game. At least until the last 5 minutes. They were completely dominant. And you wonder when they are all healthy, lines 1 thru 4 might be the best in the league.

This is for older, and I mean OLDER Pittsburgh fans....but ........I gotta feeling..............

Yeah I just finished watching the game and I have to agree there's just something about this team. They're not quite there, but it's certainly still headed in the right direction. Still improving. Still building.

Carter's start has already exceeded my conservative estimate of what a best case would look like. And he fits in well with this group it appears IMO. Well done by the Front Office.

Blueger can make any 4th line Cup caliber IMO. He's a legit high quality #3 Center now, and he's going to be our L4-C if healthy.

Matheson and McCann are streaky players but the talent is just undeniable, and highly noticeable all over the ice yesterday. In reality their still a couple very high ceiling players that haven't got there yet, though McCann is very much building his game up right now. And you can see the good coaching taking hold with Matheson.

I am slowly but surely getting on the Rrod train. Hopefully he doesn't backslide, I love how he continues to build his game, continues to produce, and fills a nitch on his line.

Zoho is still looking good, still looking like he belongs, still looking like a mountain.

You need Brian Rust types to win Cups. He's just become such a great all-around hockey player.

Thought peak-Letang was years ago, but I was wrong. I'm certain now this is the best I've ever seen him play. He's not the athlete he was, he's just a better hockey player now. This happens sometimes with defenseman as they age and continue to improve from coaching.

Jankowski does nothing all night, fails to clear the D-zone twice, then takes a penalty that results in a goal to make it a 1-goal game. What a useless hockey player....

Guys - the team structure exiting our D-zone under pressure and through the neutral zone was just beautiful again for most of the game. It's really been noticeable recently, and something that's always missing when the Pens underachieve IMO.

Can’t imagine having a complaint with the overall performance, this team still has a full L2 out with injuries and they just look so dominant structurally. I'm having to back pedal fast on my dislike for Todd R. Clearly he's making a real difference in some facets of this team, especially how the Defenseman play.

Anywho whenever I see conscientious forward play like this along with structurally sound defense, I start thinking Cup Run. The Pens are listening to their coaches. Hopefully the coaches decide to change up the PK - because I'm still skeptical.

This was not the same Sabres team we’ve seen all year. Not a pretty win, but a good win against a team that is surprisingly still hungry ar this point in the season. They are rebounding big culturally from the Hall trade it appears.

Last edited:
Yeah I just finished watching the game and I have to agree there's just something about this team. They're not quite there, but it's certainly still headed in the right direction. Still improving. Still building.

Carter's start has already exceeded my conservative estimate of what a best case would look like. And he fits in well with this group it appears IMO. Well done by the Front Office.

Blueger can make any 4th line Cup caliber IMO. He's a legit high quality #3 Center now, and he's going to be our L4-C if healthy.

Matheson and McCann are streaky players but the talent is just undeniable, and highly noticeable all over the ice yesterday. In reality their still a couple very high ceiling players that haven't got there yet, though McCann is very much building his game up right now. And you can see the good coaching taking hold with Matheson.

I am slowly but surely getting on the Rrod train. Hopefully he doesn't backslide, I love how he continues to build his game, continues to produce, and fills a nitch on his line.

Zoho is still looking good, still looking like he belongs, still looking like a mountain.

You need Brian Rust types to win Cups. He's just become such a great all-around hockey player.

Thought peak-Letang was years ago, but I was wrong. I'm certain now this is the best I've ever seen him play. He's not the athlete he was, he's just a better hockey player now. This happens sometimes with defenseman as they age and continue to improve from coaching.

Jankowski does nothing all night, fails to clear the D-zone twice, then takes a penalty that results in a goal to make it a 1-goal game. What a useless hockey player....

Guys - the team structure exiting our D-zone under pressure and through the neutral zone was just beautiful again for most of the game. It's really been noticeable recently, and something that's always missing when the Pens underachieve IMO.

Can’t imagine having a complaint with the overall performance, this team still has a full L2 out with injuries and they just look so dominant structurally. I'm having to back pedal fast on my dislike for Todd R. Clearly he's making a real difference in some facets of this team, especially how the Defenseman play.

Anywho whenever I see conscientious forward play like this along with structurally sound defense, I start thinking Cup Run. The Pens are listening to their coaches. Hopefully the coaches decide to change up the PK - because I'm still skeptical.

This was not the same Sabres team we’ve seen all year. Not a pretty win, but a good win against a team that is surprisingly still hungry ar this point in the season. They are rebounding big culturally from the Hall trade it appears.
Buffalo is playing much better, but they are still the worst team in the league so I start with that caveat, BUT, I don’t remember a game where the Pens were so dominant in offensive zone possession as yesterday. Almost every time the puck went into the Sabres zone the Pens produced a sustained attack with excellent cycling. They played well enough to scored 6 or 7 goals, but Tokarski was solid. Again, it was just Buffalo, but the Pens offensive zone structure has been fun to watch for most of the year.

Reactions: CougarClaws

Watching Zahorna yesterday, he does these little things that highly skilled players do. Whether it is the position of his stick on certain plays, anticipation, smart little pass, he is not Pavel Bure skating wise, but he is also not a plugger. I think as Pierre McGuire called him yesterday, "found money" going forward he is someone who is going to have a future.

Also, and we have also seen this go the other way, but everyone talks about the trade acquisitions of Washington, Boston, the Isles, the Leafs but Jeff Carter looks like a great addition. That being said, no team will add the quality of talent as the Pens will when Malkin, Kapanen and Tanev come back. This team will role 4 lines, all of which can possess the puck and score. By not giving up Pettersson or any Dman at the deadline, the Pens bottom D pairing is as good as any and not a colossal failure like last year when they essentially cost the Pens the Habs series.

Really deep team. But...when it comes down to it, the stars have to be stars. They haven't been the past few post seasons.

Watching Zahorna yesterday, he does these little things that highly skilled players do. Whether it is the position of his stick on certain plays, anticipation, smart little pass, he is not Pavel Bure skating wise, but he is also not a plugger. I think as Pierre McGuire called him yesterday, "found money" going forward he is someone who is going to have a future.

Also, and we have also seen this go the other way, but everyone talks about the trade acquisitions of Washington, Boston, the Isles, the Leafs but Jeff Carter looks like a great addition. That being said, no team will add the quality of talent as the Pens will when Malkin, Kapanen and Tanev come back. This team will role 4 lines, all of which can possess the puck and score. By not giving up Pettersson or any Dman at the deadline, the Pens bottom D pairing is as good as any and not a colossal failure like last year when they essentially cost the Pens the Habs series.

Really deep team. But...when it comes down to it, the stars have to be stars. They haven't been the past few post seasons.
Only one problem/concern with your assumption of the Pens improvement upon Malkin, Kapanen and Tanev’s return. We really don’t know when they’ll return and how long thereafter that they’ll be back to peak form.

Kapanen seems the closest to a return so he’ll have time to get back up to speed. No telling when Malkin will return. And I thought they already announced that Tanev won’t be back for any of the remainder of the regular season.

It is really nice that Carter does not look done. He looks like he has more left to give and he fits a role this team needs.

They get some guys healthy and back into the swing of things and they may have a shot at a longer run.

Pens need to take a run or at least get in there and bump Tokarski. This kid is seeing it like a beach ball.
Yeah, surprised he is going back to back. Buffalo has nothing to play for so why? Regardless it really doesn't matter. This division is ridiculous. Every other division, there might be 2-3 good teams, but there is such a difference between those and the teams vying for the 4th slot. Not in the East. Finishing first you still likely will have to play someone like the Bruins. It's a nuts division and I like to thank the NHL for it.

Well..................I have to say I am not overly disappointed in today's game. Why? Buffalo dominated us. That game felt alot like the Habs and Islanders series. I think it is good for the Pens to be reminded about the prize. The Pens were completely blah today. And that's okay, so many games packed tightly, don't want to peak now. Also., don't want to get too overconfident. The Sabres completely outworked the Pens today. I can't believe they went back to Tokarsky. So much for "tanking for...." which is part of the problem, there is no Sid, no Ovy, no McDavid in this draft. So no urgency to try and get Nico Hershier (yinz hockey fans will understand) who is about the equivalent of the top of this year's draft. So, the Pens got slapped around today. They probably needed it.

Well..................I have to say I am not overly disappointed in today's game. Why? Buffalo dominated us. That game felt alot like the Habs and Islanders series. I think it is good for the Pens to be reminded about the prize. The Pens were completely blah today. And that's okay, so many games packed tightly, don't want to peak now. Also., don't want to get too overconfident. The Sabres completely outworked the Pens today. I can't believe they went back to Tokarsky. So much for "tanking for...." which is part of the problem, there is no Sid, no Ovy, no McDavid in this draft. So no urgency to try and get Nico Hershier (yinz hockey fans will understand) who is about the equivalent of the top of this year's draft. So, the Pens got slapped around today. They probably needed it.
They are a case of addition by subtraction-
As soon as they moved on the veterans who quit -staal and hall- they’ve played good hockey the past 10 games

So jonesing for some coastal foraging right now....
My son is on school holidays. He and his friends cleared my fishing rods out to go fish the estuary up on Otago Peninsula. Took my 4wd too, so planning a bit of a mission. Left me here with the dog....

My son is on school holidays. He and his friends cleared my fishing rods out to go fish the estuary up on Otago Peninsula. Took my 4wd too, so planning a bit of a mission. Left me here with the dog....

I'm prepping a super bright 9-year-old right now to get his first good fish this spring, likely Presque Isle or Conemaugh Reservoir. If he can stay focused the kids going to crush it IMO. Right now it's a lot of conversations about thought processes and such. How to study a fish and get inside its head is his homework this week.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I'm prepping a super bright 9-year-old right now to get his first good fish this spring, likely Presque Isle or Conemaugh Reservoir. If he can stay focused the kids going to crush it IMO. Right now it's a lot of conversations about thought processes and such. How to study a fish and get inside its head is his homework this week.
Should come natural for a 9 year old -
“I’m hungry , eat”

OT, but just watched Patrick Marleau pass Gordie Howe for the most games played in NHL history. Unbelievable that he gets there having not missed a game since 2009.

Reactions: USN_Panther
OT, but just watched Patrick Marleau pass Gordie Howe for the most games played in NHL history. Unbelievable that he gets there having not missed a game since 2009.
You forgot “Penguins great” before Marleau :) In all seriousness, it’s an amazing accomplishment. Hard to believe his first game was Oct. 1, 2007.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT