ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Questions:

A minute and a half left to win the cup, up one goal, opponent has pulled their goalie:

everyone is equally rested. Who does Sullivan send out?

Who would you send out?

Who are our best defensive players?

Last edited:
Questions:

A minute and a half left to win the cup, up one goal, opponent has pulled their goalie:

Who would you send out?

Blueger because of his faceoff ability and Dumo would be definites. Otherwise, it’s not clear cut.

Questions:

Who would you send out?

The petterson- ruhwledyl pairing has been best

Who sully would send ?
Letang - doumilib

Questions:

Who would you send out?

Change the time to 30 seconds left - No need for changes

Sullivan for sure would have Crosby and Letang.

My 5 - Dumolin, Marino, Rust, Tanev and Jankowski if I believed he as advertised, if not, Bluegger

Questions:

Who would you send out?

Don’t overthink this one. If your list does not include Crosby, who is one of the ten best players to ever play the game in the NHL and is still a top five player in the league, your list probably is a little off ...

Reactions: goalieman
Oh I hear you. I am not happy if I am not being somewhat critical! They have been a joy to watch for the most part from Lemieux right through the Crosby and Geno years. I can see the end is near tho, and can't help being down on them. That said, they are working hard today and putting in a pretty nice effort. They haven't quit on Sully yet, but, it might not be that far away if they don't get some good results soon.

I think you’re right on the mark with Sullivan. He’s a good coach but there are enough top end guys tuning him out that a change is probably warranted at this point. That would go a long way to fixing some of the issues.

Don’t overthink this one. If your list does not include Crosby, who is one of the ten best players to ever play the game in the NHL and is still a top five player in the league, your list probably is a little off ...
Yeah I was going to go back and edit mine. You need Sid out there. Good on faceoffs and more and more it seems teams are willing to shoot for the net from their own end and take the icing if it misses. Who would be better to shoot from 175 feet than Sid.

Yeah I was going to go back and edit mine. You need Sid out there. Good on faceoffs and more and more it seems teams are willing to shoot for the net from their own end and take the icing if it misses. Who would be better to shoot from 175 feet than Sid.
Crosby believes in his skill.Letang believes in his skill.

Both are very likely to try something risky to end it with any empty net goal.

Neither should see the ice. Defense not offense is what is needed. people who will make the safe, smart play, No need for ego driven players who inherently are risk takers.

There is a place for that, just not here.

Neither should see the ice. Defense not offense is what is needed. people who will make the safe, smart play, No need for ego driven players who inherently are risk takers.

You are really overthinking this one. Sidney Crosby would be on the ice in that scenario for Pittsburgh as long as he were not injured or exhausted from the prior shift. You do not sit maybe still the most complete player in hockey because you are worried he may try to dump the puck into the net (which is not a legitimate worry). He takes the faceoff and you go from there. Very simple.

You are really overthinking this one. Sidney Crosby would be on the ice in that scenario for Pittsburgh as long as he were not injured or exhausted from the prior shift. You do not sit maybe still the most complete player in hockey because you are worried he may try to dump the puck into the net (which is not a legitimate worry). He takes the faceoff and you go from there. Very simple.
I have seen Crosby lose or nearly lose many games because of supreme belief in his own abilities.

Players of this type refuse to concede and make the safe, smart play. It is not in their DNA.

I don’t think you understand what you’re watching
You have never seen Crosby attempt to Protect the puck skating parallel to the offensive zone blue line, only to get stripped and give up a breakaway when the smart play was to dump the puck?

Never seen that?

You have never seen Crosby attempt to Protect the puck skating parallel to the offensive zone blue line, only to get stripped and give up a breakaway when the smart play was to dump the puck?

Never seen that?
Maybe once or twice, but it can’t be very often in his career.

Maybe once or twice, but it can’t be very often in his career.
How about taking an ill advised risk playing 4 on 4 in OT?

How about an unnecessary icing going for the empty net?

How about the too fancy pass or the dangerous drop passes?

Yeah, great players make great plays. He sure has made a shit load of great plays throughout his career.

BUT...when you don’t need a great play,give me someone more likely to make the safe, smart plater.

A coach needs to worry more about winning than appearing to slight his star.

I have seen Crosby lose or nearly lose many games because of supreme belief in his own abilities.

Players of this type refuse to concede and make the safe, smart play. It is not in their DNA.
I have seen Crosby win three cups, two conn smythes, three ted lindsay's, two hart memorial, two art ross, two maurice richard, and one mark messier award. You need your head examined if you have a problem with Crosby's game. Maybe you should of been an NHL superstar with your insane hockey IQ.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Let’s make it simple. Who wants Crosby on the ice with 30 seconds to go up one?

Who wants 5 players more risk avoiding?

He’s a good, borderline elite faceoff man, he can dig in the corners and be physical and if he pins the puck along the wall you aren’t getting it off of him. I’d say that qualifies him to be on the ice in the situation you laid out.

For real?! Or are you trolling? If you like watching safe players I suggest following the Minnesota Wild. They have a lot of the players who employ the style you seem to enjoy.

He’s a good, borderline elite faceoff man, he can dig in the corners and be physical and if he pins the puck along the wall you aren’t getting it off of him. I’d say that qualifies him to be on the ice in the situation you laid out.
Fair enough, Factually correct.

For real?! Or are you trolling? If you like watching safe players I suggest following the Minnesota Wild. They have a lot of the players who employ the style you seem to enjoy.
I could be wrong, but in today’s game at 3-3; I believe Crosby made an unsound decision that afforded Ovechkin a great chance.

I could be wrong, but in today’s game at 3-3; I believe Crosby made an unsound decision that afforded Ovechkin a great chance.

You’re not wrong but considering the general effectiveness of his play in OT it’s absolutely forgivable.

If Oli scored, would there necessarily have been an OT?

And if Malkin buries the breakaway there’s No OT either. If these two points today are the difference between making the playoffs or not then we can revisit it.

How long before someone says “Malkin sucks, he has no points in three games, he’s paid a ton, and he’s 34 years old. Trade him for two 1st round picks, and two top prospects.”

How long before someone says “Malkin sucks, he has no points in three games, he’s paid a ton, and he’s 34 years old. Trade him for two 1st round picks, and two top prospects.”
I think the trade part has already been said about he and Letang (not Sid of course).

I think you are being optimistic on the return. Two #1s and 2 prospects? 4 for 1?

Lemieux would be in that category of supreme belief. And when he wanted to be he was as good defensively as anyone for a forward. Go back and watch some of the playoff games. He was unreal. He just didn’t do it frequently - nor should he have.

Neither would give 2 bleeps about an empty net goal in the situation you described. There’s no question they’ve both made untold high risk moves thru the years but in that situation I want them both out there. And it’s a no brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT