ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PGA Championshipzzzzzzzzz

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
If you didn't know, golf's "fourth major" is going on right now. Kevin Kisner is leading. Yawn. If yinza also didn't know, in 2 years, the PGA Championship is going to be moved from August to May. Which is a great thing in my mind, because it gets buried now, people are tired of golf, and it even seems like the best players are bored.

Here are some of the former winners of this event:
Jimmy Walker won it last year (how many of you knew that?) But others....Keegan Bradley, Jason Dufner, YA Yang (not making this up), Shaun McKeel, Rich Beem, David Toms, Steve Elkington, Wayne Grady, Mark Brooks, Jeff Sluman, Bob Tway, etc.....if there is a list of single major champs, I would guess the PGA leads the list. Of course Tiger, Phil, Jack, Gary Player, Rory have won it.

But usually the winner is some uninspiring mediocre hack who has a good week because this "major" feels more like the RBC or John Deere Championship.

So moving it to May has to help this thing. I can't imagine the ratings being really good. Spieth out. Rory's out. Phil didn't make the cut. Kevin Kisner is leading. The very good, talented and non English speaking Hideki Matsyuma is tied (he will be the best Asian born golfer when it is all said and done) Chris Stroud is right there. Who? Exactly. Chris Stroud meet Shaun McKeel. Jason Day and Rickie Fowler are not too far behind, they give the tourney hope. But this tourney needs saved and what a brilliant idea to move back to May in 2019.

The PGA is the golfers club tourney with lots of club pro's, club GM's, college coaches playing in qualifiers to see if they can earn a spot in the big event.

Golf is going thru a change with lots of former "no names" showing up on leadboards over the course of the 2017 tournament season.

Phil should get ready for the senior tour ( stick a fork in him) he'll never be a factor from this point on as is the case with Tiger.

Lots of top players are struggling with their games changing caddies, coaches, equipment, in addition to medical problems which may take years to work through.

IMO the "no names" who have been popping up on the leaderboard over the past weeks are getting a prime opportunity to break into the top group and begin to get some experience and maybe win some tournaments.

Soon we'll be seeing new names winning more big tournaments mixed in with the Dustins, Jordans, Rory's, etc.

Golf is in a rebuilding phase which is good for the game!

The PGA is the golfers club tourney with lots of club pro's, club GM's, college coaches playing in qualifiers to see if they can earn a spot in the big event.

Golf is going thru a change with lots of former "no names" showing up on leadboards over the course of the 2017 tournament season.

Phil should get ready for the senior tour ( stick a fork in him) he'll never be a factor from this point on as is the case with Tiger.

Lots of top players are struggling with their games changing caddies, coaches, equipment, in addition to medical problems which may take years to work through.

IMO the "no names" who have been popping up on the leaderboard over the past weeks are getting a prime opportunity to break into the top group and begin to get some experience and maybe win some tournaments.

Soon we'll be seeing new names winning more big tournaments mixed in with the Dustins, Jordans, Rory's, etc.

Golf is in a rebuilding phase which is good for the game!

Well I know this, the size, athleticism and equipment are certainly starting to outpace many of these courses. Jack and Arnie were hitting alot of 3 irons into the same Par 4's that these guys are hitting 9 irons and wedges.

Well I know this, the size, athleticism and equipment are certainly starting to outpace many of these courses. Jack and Arnie were hitting alot of 3 irons into the same Par 4's that these guys are hitting 9 irons and wedges.
The distance these guys hit is eye popping.
Someone yesterday I think it was Koepka hit a three iron 259 after a drive that carried a sandtrap at 320 not sure how far the drive was after the roll.
???
Build bigger golf courses for these guys! Or go back to the tree lined dogleg style courses once in a while.

The US Open is where they play qualifiers.

There area about 20 spots reserved for PGA club pros. That have an event about a month or 2 prior that is televised on the golf channel. Each section across the country is allocated so many spots (around 300 in total). Not sure how those are earned. Cuts every day but at the end the top 20 get in to the PGA.

This is great!

The current golf "superstars" have " parked it" so we now get to watch a champion emerge from the next group of golfers.

Some of these guys like McElroy should keep their eye on the ball since its easy to get lost for years out there once you lose focus!
If he's not careful he'll be starring in Sonic restaurant commercials soon!

The PGA should lower the age to move to the senior circuit to 45 to clear out some of the senior guys that continue play on the main tour like Phil, VJ, Stricker etc. Make some room for some new players and new names!

The age 45 idea is interesting. It's rare that anyone that old is a factor in general and especially in the majors. However even being 50 now doesn't preclude them from playing the "regular" tour. If eligible via whatever criteria a particular tourney uses they can play. Vijay is 54. He's played a few Senior events - probably their majors. But he's continued to grind primarily on the regular tour.

Those veteran players have EARNED the right to play. The young players have earned nothing.
Noone has a right to play anything when it comes to PGA golf tournaments.
More entitlements huh!

In golf players earn the right to play in a tournament by qualifying.
Some senior and other players who don't quality for a tourney receive special exemptions granted by the tournament sponsors who want them in the field for some reason.

If the senior tour age was lowered to 45 older players who still have their tour card could quality or receive exemptions for the main PGA tourney regardless of age.

My suggestion was to lower the senior tour age so players can move off the regular tour as their choice to the senior tour where they can be "stars" again!

Kisner is a top 25 player in the world and is top 10 on the tour this year, he's pretty legit. Fantastic all around game, rather than having one super sexy part of his game. Probably the most well rounded player on tour this year.

You have Kisner, Matsuyama, Thomas, and Oosthuizen as 4 of your top 5 -- that's a pretty legit top 5 for any tournament.

The separation in golf between the top and bottom just isn't that large with peak-Tiger dead and gone. The Web.com tour is even ridiculously strong these days.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
This is great!

The current golf "superstars" have " parked it" so we now get to watch a champion emerge from the next group of golfers.

Some of these guys like McElroy should keep their eye on the ball since its easy to get lost for years out there once you lose focus!
If he's not careful he'll be starring in Sonic restaurant commercials soon!

The PGA should lower the age to move to the senior circuit to 45 to clear out some of the senior guys that continue play on the main tour like Phil, VJ, Stricker etc. Make some room for some new players and new names!

I really don't think they are standing in their way. You have some really odd views of things.

I really don't think they are standing in their way. You have some really odd views of things.

Agreed. When it comes to the PGA tour the ONLY thing standing in anyone's way is themselves. If you're good enough you'll have a spot. There are of course some sponsors exemptions but no way you can make a living that way.

One of the reasons I like golf is there are no guarantees. Not only do you not cash checks if you don't play good - if bad play keeps up you'll be in the next tier down.

Vijay has 34 tour victories.. I think he has earned the right to play in anything he chooses to..

I agree he was a great player. I mostly rout for US golfers but I liked him since in his early days playing golf ( the lean years) he moonlighted as a bouncer in strip and other clubs. Big tough guy based on reputation. Plus he was suspended for taking a supplement to gain strength that was deer antler extract.

While he maintained in his statement that he was "shocked" to learn deer-antler spray might contain a banned substance, such a defense should have no bearing.

But that doesn't entitle him to play in anything today. Today he has to earn a spot just like everyone else unless he gets a sponsor exemption.

Soon he'll be on the senior tour, slowly fading away, he'll try to get a network job, and after that he'll be in golf history books!

Bring in the new guys!

Last edited:
Agreed. When it comes to the PGA tour the ONLY thing standing in anyone's way is themselves. If you're good enough you'll have a spot. There are of course some sponsors exemptions but no way you can make a living that way.

One of the reasons I like golf is there are no guarantees. Not only do you not cash checks if you don't play good - if bad play keeps up you'll be in the next tier down.

Yeah, it is not like Phil Mickelson was keeping some young phenom out of the PGA championship this week.

My point was that with a 45 yr old cut-off for the senior tour some 45+ers ( not the great ones ) would move up sooner which would free up spots for up and comers from the lower level tour.
I agree that the bueaty of golf is you have to go out and earn your place on the tour and your money!

Just as a point of clarification, when it comes to exemptions there are exemptions for past champions of a tournament, all-time money list standings, # of tour wins, etc..

Point being, some of these guys ARE entitled to some of the bigger tournaments and they aren't necessarily taking a sponsor's exemption away from a younger guy. They're in because of a different type of exemption that they've earned.

Even if it did.. Even though I do not like Phil in the least, there is no young phenom that moves the needle more than Phil at a major.. golf is where it's at now because of Tiger, Phil and other Vets..
Agreed but you don't see many Vets doing anything on the main tour. Tiger and Phil are done. VJ, Furik, Styker, etc.are doing nothing but keeping in golf shape and waiting to move to the senior tour when they turn 50. That's my point if the senior tour age limit was lower they would be playing that tour now!

Fyi its expensive for these guys to move week in and week out to each tourney only to not qualify or finish way down the standing. They usually take their wives, have to foot the bill for caddy, swing coach, first class accomodations/travel, etc. Each year except maybe for Phil they lose some sponsor money since they're not as visible on TV in the last groups to finish.

They can be honored in many ways including continuing their great careers as seniors!

Last edited:
Just as a point of clarification, when it comes to exemptions there are exemptions for past champions of a tournament, all-time money list standings, # of tour wins, etc..

Point being, some of these guys ARE entitled to some of the bigger tournaments and they aren't necessarily taking a sponsor's exemption away from a younger guy. They're in because of a different type of exemption that they've earned.
Good point!
Of course whatever the exemption is it is and yes the player rookie, Vet, or in between is entitled to play that tournament!

That benefits all players not just senior players!

The sponsors exemption mostly benefits the senior player who hasnt won, or isnt high on the money list.

Last edited:
I realize all you Lair "fair weather " golf fans arent interested in this tournament but the announcer just gave all of us a great putting tip.

" pick a line, hit the ball, and let the hole get in the way"

You people are missing one great golf tournament!

Last edited:
Justin Thomas won. Another of the young guard that is taking over golf. I am happy with the win. He is legit. He shot a 63 in the US Open and could have won it. He is considered a peer of Speith and Fowler.

What I dont like to see is some of these every week hacks who have a great weekend (hi Rich Beem) and win a major only to never be heard from a gain. It is like having Seton Hall win the NCAA Championship. I am sure the PGA and Quail Hollow are more than happy with a Justin Thomas win there. It is his 4th win this year, he is only 24, he is going to win alot of golf tourneys. That was my original point of the PGA and why it has been the distinctly behind "4th major".

Justin Thomas won. Another of the young guard that is taking over golf. I am happy with the win. He is legit. He shot a 63 in the US Open and could have won it. He is considered a peer of Speith and Fowler.

What I dont like to see is some of these every week hacks who have a great weekend (hi Rich Beem) and win a major only to never be heard from a gain. It is like having Seton Hall win the NCAA Championship. I am sure the PGA and Quail Hollow are more than happy with a Justin Thomas win there. It is his 4th win this year, he is only 24, he is going to win alot of golf tourneys. That was my original point of the PGA and why it has been the distinctly behind "4th major".
Yep

JT is another young guy who can win some future bigs....they're starting to stack up and that's a good thing.

VJ, Furik, Styker, etc.are doing nothing but keeping in golf shape and waiting to move to the senior tour when they turn 50.

Singh and Stricker are already over 50, so it's obvious that they don't play on the regular tour simply while bidding time until they are eligible for the senior tour.

One of the most exciting tournaments that I ever watched!
USA golf is alive and well stocked with young future champions!

Remember the Ryder Cup!

Johnson
Speith - British Open
Fowler
Walker - suffering form Lyme disease now
Koepka - US Open
Thomas - PGA
Reed
Kuchar
Kisner
etc it can go on and on!

As Justin Thomas said if I cant win I rout for the other guys if they cant win they rout for me. Just look at the guys Spieth, Fowler, Koepka, etc waiting in the gallery for Thomas to win!
When Phil or Tiger was out of it and finished all you could see was the rear end of their limo as they left the property!

The USA guys are on top of the world, the best in the world, just like the rest of the country Go USA.

I'll say the USA women let their sport golf get away from them and they need to take a page for the USA men's golf book and reclaim their sport!

I will say Hideki is on the path to being a big star! He's learning English, and at the end of the tourney distributed some signed golf balls. I give him alot of credit compared to the Euro / Australian's who let every little thing bother them. Not to mention they dont play tough golf courses unless they play in the USA! The fading Garcia is their star?

Go USA Golf!

Quite frequently the sponsors exemption is used for a young local guy who is trying to make it on the tour.

Indeed. Or a guy like John Daly who could draw fans/tv viewers and generate some buzz. Which is why Steph Curry got a spot on the Web.com which stupidly wasn't even televised.

Daly got quite a few exemptions over the course of a few years but of course wore out his welcome several times over.

Good point!
Of course whatever the exemption is it is and yes the player rookie, Vet, or in between is entitled to play that tournament!

That benefits all players not just senior players!

The sponsors exemption mostly benefits the senior player who hasnt won, or isnt high on the money list.

Actually usually the sponsors exemptions go to younger NCAA guys who just turned pro and are hoping to qualify out of the Web.com. Guys like Beau Hossler, Wyndham Clark, Jon Rahm, etc.. You also sometimes get a sideshow like Jamie Sadlowski but that tends to get the old guard mad. Sadlowski is also a Web guy, but is mostly famous because he's an ex-Long Drive champion.

Furyk is valid, he earned his tour card through a victory on the PGA Tour. Same with Stricker. Those will expire within a year or two, but as of this season they still had an exemption because of a recent PGA Tour victory (most carry a 2-year exemption, some come with 3). Vijay doesn't get a sponsor's exemption either, he's qualified as a Lifetime Member due to being a guy who had 15 years on the PGA Tour and 20+ career victories.

The PGA Tour is pretty cutthroat, the old guys don't get too many bones thrown their way via sponsor exemptions.

Phil will still get in next year despite being well past his prime because he's going to finish in the Top 125 in the FedEx Cup standings, so he won't require a sponsor's exemption.

Last edited:
One of the most exciting tournaments that I ever watched!
USA golf is alive and well stocked with young future champions!

Remember the Ryder Cup!

Johnson
Speith - British Open
Fowler
Walker - suffering form Lyme disease now
Koepka - US Open
Thomas - PGA
Reed
Kuchar
Kisner
etc it can go on and on!

As Justin Thomas said if I cant win I rout for the other guys if they cant win they rout for me. Just look at the guys Spieth, Fowler, Koepka, etc waiting in the gallery for Thomas to win!
When Phil or Tiger was out of it and finished all you could see was the rear end of their limo as they left the property!

The USA guys are on top of the world, the best in the world, just like the rest of the country Go USA.

I'll say the USA women let their sport golf get away from them and they need to take a page for the USA men's golf book and reclaim their sport!

I will say Hideki is on the path to being a big star! He's learning English, and at the end of the tourney distributed some signed golf balls. I give him alot of credit compared to the Euro / Australian's who let every little thing bother them. Not to mention they dont play tough golf courses unless they play in the USA! The fading Garcia is their star?

Go USA Golf!

Patrick Cantlay looking promising, too. He was in the Spieth/Thomas wave on the junior circuit and was more well regarded than both of them.

Had some injury issues and then his best friend/caddy was killed by a drunk driver in a hit-and-run but he's back this year and showing well.

The talent under 25 is pretty solid for the US, there's no doubt.

Cantlay article:

http://www.friedegg.co/blog/patrick-cantlay-return

Singh and Stricker are already over 50, so it's obvious that they don't play on the regular tour simply while bidding time until they are eligible for the senior tour.

Plus there's that whole Vijay suing the PGA thing. Companies usually don't throw a lot of work your way when you do that.

Alabama is a golf school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT