ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates Ke'Bryan Hayes a bust?

Thanks for dragging me into the 2020's. I don't pay that much attention to other team's stats, but you just made my point.

In fact it would be much easier to assemble a starting 5 with the kind of win totals you're describing. Much easier!

Well if your point is that the Pirates should just go out and assemble the best pitching staff that baseball has seen in at least the past several decades then yeah, sure, absolutely they should.

If you think they are going to do that by just going out and signing a couple of number two or three starters then you are simply wrong. A pitching staff like that would be made up of several number ones. And we all know that Bob Nutting isn't ever going to pay for even one of those guys, let alone three or four.

Well if your point is that the Pirates should just go out and assemble the best pitching staff that baseball has seen in at least the past several decades then yeah, sure, absolutely they should.

If you think they are going to do that by just going out and signing a couple of number two or three starters then you are simply wrong. A pitching staff like that would be made up of several number ones. And we all know that Bob Nutting isn't ever going to pay for even one of those guys, let alone three or four.
A couple of sites I follow has listed 6 or 8 FA SP's the Pirates could target to round out their staff. They need 2.
These aren't high price tag guys, but guys who will be reasonable.
Nutting needs to allow the GM to sign a couple of these guys.

This recent push they're making against desperate teams trying to make the playoffs, they're doing with only 2 bonafide SP's.

We all know Nutting isn't going to sign the big dogs in FA. Hell, he may not even be able to sign Keller!

A couple of sites I follow has listed 6 or 8 FA SP's the Pirates could target to round out their staff. They need 2.
These aren't high price tag guys, but guys who will be reasonable.
Nutting needs to allow the GM to sign a couple of these guys.

This recent push they're making against desperate teams trying to make the playoffs, they're doing with only 2 bonafide SP's.

We all know Nutting isn't going to sign the big dogs in FA. Hell, he may not even be able to sign Keller!

I agree that's what they should do. And I agree that that's probably not what they are going to do.

But those kinds of guys are not the kinds of guys who are going to come in and win 15 games. There are only seven pitchers so far this year with 15 wins. There are only four with 14. And their are six more with 13. So that's only 17 pitchers with 13 or more wins in all of baseball. You can absolutely hope that someone they sign pitches that well, but you certainly shouldn't expect it.

I have no idea when the last time a pitching staff had four starter at or even close to 15 wins each, but I'll bet it's been a long time.
What? You mean accomplishing something that has only been done once in the past 90 years wouldn't be easy? The 1998 Braves were the only team to do it over that timeframe; and their entire staff did it with 16+ wins.

It only took 3 future Hall of Famers in their primes too!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
So I think based on the recent trend, we will get good Keller tonight? Although he blew up in the 5th inning last game after rolling through the first four innings. Headed into the 5th inning now with no hits surrendered.

Figured I’d put this here instead of starting a new thread…

I’m not opposed to expanded interleague play, but these games should NOT be played in the final days of the regular season. IMO, the MLB should take a page out of the NFL’s book and make the final 3-4 series of the year exclusively division games, or at the very least games in your own league. I want to see games against the teams that are fighting each other for playoff spots, not a random Yankees-DBacks series.

IMO, the MLB should take a page out of the NFL’s book and make the final 3-4 series of the year exclusively division games, or at the very least games in your own league.

But they can't. There are an odd number of teams in each division, so everyone in the division can't be playing each other. And there are an odd number of teams in each league, so there always has to be at least one interleague series.

It looks like 10 of the 15 series this weekend are interdivision series. The most there theoretically could be is 12. This midweek there are 11. Last weekend there were 7 and last midweek there were 9. So they could do a little better, and I agree they should make that a priority. But they have done a pretty good job with it.

But they can't. There are an odd number of teams in each division, so everyone in the division can't be playing each other. And there are an odd number of teams in each league, so there always has to be at least one interleague series.

It looks like 10 of the 15 series this weekend are interdivision series. The most there theoretically could be is 12. This midweek there are 11. Last weekend there were 7 and last midweek there were 9. So they could do a little better, and I agree they should make that a priority. But they have done a pretty good job with it.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted it… whoops. Good call on the correction. I guess they’ll have an opportunity to do that if/when they expand (bring back the Expos!).

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Heard the pirate beat writer today mention a few nuggets:

Santana will probably train with O’Neill Cruz in Florida in the off-season. No Arizona Fall league for him but perhaps a small chance he plays in the DR. Better than average chance that Santana is a Pirate next year and the pirates spend money on a middle rotation guy and a reclamation project pitcher for the rotation. Skenes will start in AAA and be called up by June. Cutch will be brought back. Gonzalez and Peguero will be given equal chance to win the 2B job. Triolo will backup Santana at 1st. Henry Davis will not be the backup catcher (or the starter).

Heard the pirate beat writer today mention a few nuggets:

Santana will probably train with O’Neill Cruz in Florida in the off-season. No Arizona Fall league for him but perhaps a small chance he plays in the DR. Better than average chance that Santana is a Pirate next year and the pirates spend money on a middle rotation guy and a reclamation project pitcher for the rotation. Skenes will start in AAA and be called up by June. Cutch will be brought back. Gonzalez and Peguero will be given equal chance to win the 2B job. Triolo will backup Santana at 1st. Henry Davis will not be the backup catcher (or the starter).
As a Phillies fan, I like Cutch. I enjoyed him here after his prime, but it's crazy to me that he'd stay in the burgh and not chase a ring. He can't have more than 2 years left.

Henry Davis will not be the backup catcher (or the starter).

That's just dumb. Not that he's not going to be the starter, because at this point you have to give Rodriguez that chance. But you make Davis the backup catcher and put him back there once or twice a week and play him a couple other days in right field and you essentially "save" a roster spot for someone who can contribute at a different position.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Man if the pirates were in a pennant race, last nights loss would be dissected over and over again. That was hard to swallow.

yeah it would be, I’m not so sure if Shelton is good enough when we get to that point cause why you would take out borucki when he was unhittable is beyond me. I guess 170days of rest isn’t enough once the season is over.

I really hate to resurrect this thread again because it seemed like it finally died……..but….

I just got this email from MLB saying that KeBryan Hayes was named Fielding Bible defensive Player of the year.

I don’t know how prestigious the “fielding bible” is but, nonetheless, not a bad turnaround from strongly trending towards ‘Bust’ territory at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
I really hate to resurrect this thread again because it seemed like it finally died……..but….

I just got this email from MLB saying that KeBryan Hayes was named Fielding Bible defensive Player of the year.

I don’t know how prestigious the “fielding bible” is but, nonetheless, not a bad turnaround from strongly trending towards ‘Bust’ territory at the beginning of the year.
One of the smoothest fielders I’ve ever seen.

Pie Traynor , Pirate HOF third basemen was widely considered the best 3rd baseman of his era(look it up Wikipedia), 1920-1937, no GG award until 1957.....

15 pages strong. Might as well get it to 30 by years end.

Who would have thought that a baseball thread on a basketball board would get so many clicks?
I would have thought that a baseball thread on a basketball board would be a BUST!

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT