ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates Ke'Bryan Hayes a bust?

No. It definitely wasn’t Gonzalez. I know that for a fact because I am not a guy who follows the farm system that closely but I always knew who Gonzalez was/is. They even interviewed him during the game and showed video of him talking to Cutch from the stands.
Yeah, I remember the interview.
Just don't remember the player for sure.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah, I remember the interview.
Just don't remember the player for sure.
Could have been an Indy guy too but I’m pretty sure he made the drive from Altoona. He was a middle infielder as I recall. I just thought it was cool to be there supporting his friends and he said he couldn’t wait until it was his turn. If it was Peguero, it makes the story even cooler.

Could have been an Indy guy too but I’m pretty sure he made the drive from Altoona. He was a middle infielder as I recall. I just thought it was cool to be there supporting his friends and he said he couldn’t wait until it was his turn. If it was Peguero, it makes the story even cooler.
Definitely Altoona player.
Very well could have been Peguero.
The Pirates sure have a lot of middle infielders!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I have to ask you or other pirate fans here as I’ve been wondering…

Earlier in the year, it might have been when Davis was called up…an Altoona infielder came to the ballpark and seemingly bought a ticket and sat in the box seats beside the dugout to watch and support his friends. Does anyone remember this? Was it Peguero?

It was 100% Peguero

He obviously has figured it out
I know you’re infatuated with boomers so I’ll put it like this. This isn’t your boomers MLB anymore. Case in point, Hayes has the 61st best average in MLB and there are only 9 guys batting .300 or better. So I don’t know what the 2023’s version of .300 is. Is it now .280? I don’t know. Hayes is batting .267 which puts him 8 points behind the top 3B hitter in the league.

But maybe with the changes in hitting philosophy, batting average is an antiquated stat these days. Is OBS the stat we should look at? There he’s middle of the pack among mLB 3rd basemen.

You say he’s figured it out. I hope you’re right. If you take away his slow start ant the plate and he does what he’s doing for an entire year, say next year, he’s a star. Time will tell. And I don’t think there’s a coincidence that as he’s been productive, the Pirates have been playing at a .500 level.

Btw…
In 2023, 9 players are .300 or better.
In 2010, there were 23 guys .300 or better. In 2000, 53 guys hit .300 or better
In 1990, 22 hit .300 or better
In 1980, it was 33 players .300 or better.

I'm curious, does anyone know what the Pirates overall record is this year with Hayes in the line-up versus Hayes not in the line-up? Is it much of a difference?

I'm curious, does anyone know what the Pirates overall record is this year with Hayes in the line-up versus Hayes not in the line-up? Is it much of a difference?

If I counted them right in the games that Hayes has started the Pirates are 46-53, .464. Which would make them 18-21, .462 in the games that he has not started.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Because your question doesn't really make any sense, so I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at?
You posted the Pirates record with and without Hayes in the lineup as essentially being the same, .462 vs .464. So I was just making a lighthearted joke, his ‘Wins above Replacement’ must be zero since the record is the same with or without him.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
You posted the Pirates record with and without Hayes in the lineup as essentially being the same, .462 vs .464. So I was just making a lighthearted joke, his ‘Wins above Replacement’ must be zero since the record is the same with or without him.

And that was the question, if you were joking or if you were serious.

Does that mean his WAR is a wash?
for me it feels like the Pirates are about 5 wins better with him in the lineup. And I just looked it up and his WAR is 3.4. So even with his rough start at the plate to start the year, he’s certainly been a plus player.

Interested in hearing what people think about Peguero? Anyone comfortable, or even intrigued about him being the starting SS next season? Not being a baseball prospects guy, I don’t know what kind of pedigree he has. But on every visit to the daily box scores, I’m looking to see what he did the night before. It’s a shame we lost an entire year of development for Cruz and we are no closer to knowing what’s in his future.

for me it feels like the Pirates are about 5 wins better with him in the lineup. And I just looked it up and his WAR is 3.4. So even with his rough start at the plate to start the year, he’s certainly been a plus player.

Interested in hearing what people think about Peguero? Anyone comfortable, or even intrigued about him being the starting SS next season? Not being a baseball prospects guy, I don’t know what kind of pedigree he has. But on every visit to the daily box scores, I’m looking to see what he did the night before. It’s a shame we lost an entire year of development for Cruz and we are no closer to knowing what’s in his future.
I hope (and think) Peguero gets the opportunity to be the full-time 2B next season because I believe Cruz will be back at SS.

The question, in my opinion, becomes what does the middle infield look like once Temarr Johnson reaches the majors? Does Peguero move elsewhere? Cruz? I think that’s a good problem to have, but they’ll need to make a decision at some point.

I hope (and think) Peguero gets the opportunity to be the full-time 2B next season because I believe Cruz will be back at SS.

The question, in my opinion, becomes what does the middle infield look like once Temarr Johnson reaches the majors? Does Peguero move elsewhere? Cruz? I think that’s a good problem to have, but they’ll need to make a decision at some point.
Are we writing off Gonzalez at 2B?

So…Hayes has figured it out thanks to his pirate AA hitting coach and Shelton said Haines is 100% coming back? Gotta love the Pirates.

• Sad
Reactions: FreeportPanther
I hope they don’t because he showed some flashes in June, but it sure seems like they are for the time being. Wonder if/when he returns to the majors.
The way Termarr Johnson is flying up the Pirate's system, having success at each level, it probably won't matter long term for either one of these guys.
Something will have to give because you don't need 3 quality 2nd basemen in Pittsburgh, so more than likely two of these three will be traded for a quality player of need.

Have to think Cruz will stay at SS unless he has a road to Damascus moment and decides he's better suited in RF or less likely 1B.

The Pirates are getting some moments from some unlikely places, but you'd have to think not all of these guys are going to pan out as starters here.
Endy Rodriguez has struggled a bit lately and Henry Davis's problem with the breaking stuff is obvious. Those two HAVE to figure it out because there is no way the Pirates compete soon without those two being big pieces.

The team needs productive and steady play from RF and 1B for next year, as well as a couple of the SP's to "get it". More than likely they'll have to sign a few guys with pulses this winter (Insert Nutting sarcastic digs here),
They're holding the fort right now with a patchwork lineup/rotation but it seems to be a bit of an illusion. The lineup and pitching staff can't scare anyone too much as currently constructed.

Something will have to give because you don't need 3 quality 2nd basemen in Pittsburgh, so more than likely two of these three will be traded for a quality player of need.
Kind of like way back in the '60s, they could afford to deal Julian Javier, and later Don Money, for pitching, because they were set at 2B with Mazeroski.

I hope they don’t because he showed some flashes in June, but it sure seems like they are for the time being. Wonder if/when he returns to the majors.

I think that Gonzales is fine in AAA for now, he's red hot but I think that he needs some time to dominate his level for a bit. He's followed the same pattern every year through the organization, starts the year cold with too many K's before he heats up in the second half and then finishes the year with solid but not great numbers. Then he moves up a level in the offseason and the cycle starts over again.

I think that letting him finish strong in AAA and then start there again with a midseason MLB target next year if he can start well probably gives him the best foundation for major league success. I think that he really just needs to see the ball hit his bat for a bit.

For as much doom and gloom there’s been surrounding this season, the Pirates have officially surpassed their O/U wins total (67.5) for 2023 and, barring a complete meltdown, will finish with 70+ wins for the first time since 2018. There’s also a good chance they finish 10+ games better than last season, and that’s without Oneil Cruz for the majority of it.

In the end, I think this season will have met my expectations. The ‘Young Bucs’ are up, they’ve identified who will (and likely won’t) be part of the team’s next playoff core, and have positioned themselves to take a big leap in 2024. I’ll take it.

Mash mash mash.

BA is currently over .270. Second best on the team. League average is .249.
18th best OBP out of 20 qualified 2rd Basemen.
15th best OPS out of 20.
18th most HRs out of 20.
1st in caught stealing out of 20.
20th in walks out of 20.

He's still one of the worst offensive weapons among the everyday starters. But he is also the 15th highest paid 3rd baseman, so he's playing to his salary.

18th best OBP out of 20 qualified 2rd Basemen.
15th best OPS out of 20.
18th most HRs out of 20.
1st in caught stealing out of 20.
20th in walks out of 20.

He's still one of the worst offensive weapons among the everyday starters. But he is also the 15th highest paid 3rd baseman, so he's playing to his salary.
How are his defensive stats???
I'd say #1 in all categories, without looking of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT