ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pitt / Dr. Starzl

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
http://triblive.com/local/regional/...omas-starzl-with-statue-near-the-cathedral-of

In life, pioneering transplant surgeon Dr. Thomas E. Starzl was a giant at the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine.

Now, the revered surgeon, who died on March 4, 2017, will occupy a permanent spot at Pitt when family members, colleagues and Pitt officials gather to unveil a life-size bronze sculpture of the man known as the “father of transplantation” near the Fifth Avenue entrance to the Cathedral of Learning.

Pittsburgh sculptor Susan Wagner spent nearly a year studying photos and films of the renowned surgeon to create the lifelike bronze in her studio in the garage of her Friendship home.

Wagner is best known locally for her three 12-foot-tall bronze statues of Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell and Bill Mazeroski at PNC Park and of the Gulf War Memorial at the 14th Quartermaster headquarters in Greensburg.

She said Starzl's widow, Joy, first approached her about the commission about a year ago.

Joy Starzl said she selected Wagner after seeing her at work in her studio on a local TV show and then seeing her statues of the champions at PNC Park.

“And I thought it would be wonderful to have a statue of Tom as one of the champions. We're not from Pittsburgh, but he was one of the city's biggest champions,” she said.

Wagner said she gets know her subjects as she works on her creations.

“I met (Starzl) a couple of times and got to speak with him a couple of times, but he had already passed when I sculpted him so I worked from photos and videos,” Wagner said. “He was a wonderful man.”

Her sculpting is time intensive and personal.

“It's kind of like giving birth,” Wagner said. “I don't get to keep the work, but I get to put it out there for the world to see.”

Pitt officials said the bronze likeness will serve “as a permanent tribute from Pitt to the physician and his innovations in surgery and immunology that changed the face of modern medicine.”

Starzl's wife is thrilled with the statue.

“I cried when I saw it. It was so real,” Joy Starzl said. “And it was like she captured his essence. She captured that love, that genius — that champion. She captured it all. I knew then I'd made the right decision.”

In his early years, Starzl faced staunch opposition from many leading figures in medical circles who maintained successful liver transplants would never become a reality. Nevertheless, he persevered.

“Tom was determined and I'm a Christian. And I just believe God had him doing this,” Joy Starzl said.

The unveiling will follow the Pittsburgh premier of a private screening of a documentary “Burden of Genius.”

The film, co-produced by Carl Kurlander and Laura Davis and directed by Tjardus Greidanus, details Starzl's early struggles and ultimate triumphs in the field of transplantation.

http://triblive.com/local/regional/...omas-starzl-with-statue-near-the-cathedral-of

In life, pioneering transplant surgeon Dr. Thomas E. Starzl was a giant at the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine.

Now, the revered surgeon, who died on March 4, 2017, will occupy a permanent spot at Pitt when family members, colleagues and Pitt officials gather to unveil a life-size bronze sculpture of the man known as the “father of transplantation” near the Fifth Avenue entrance to the Cathedral of Learning.

Pittsburgh sculptor Susan Wagner spent nearly a year studying photos and films of the renowned surgeon to create the lifelike bronze in her studio in the garage of her Friendship home.

Wagner is best known locally for her three 12-foot-tall bronze statues of Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell and Bill Mazeroski at PNC Park and of the Gulf War Memorial at the 14th Quartermaster headquarters in Greensburg.

She said Starzl's widow, Joy, first approached her about the commission about a year ago.

Joy Starzl said she selected Wagner after seeing her at work in her studio on a local TV show and then seeing her statues of the champions at PNC Park.

“And I thought it would be wonderful to have a statue of Tom as one of the champions. We're not from Pittsburgh, but he was one of the city's biggest champions,” she said.

“I met (Starzl) a couple of times and got to speak with him a couple of times, but he had already passed when I sculpted him so I worked from photos and videos,” Wagner said. “He was a wonderful man.”

“It's kind of like giving birth,” Wagner said. “I don't get to keep the work, but I get to put it out there for the world to see.”

Pitt officials said the bronze likeness will serve “as a permanent tribute from Pitt to the physician and his innovations in surgery and immunology that changed the face of modern medicine.”

“I cried when I saw it. It was so real,” Joy Starzl said. “And it was like she captured his essence. She captured that love, that genius — that champion. She captured it all. I knew then I'd made the right decision.”

In his early years, Starzl faced staunch opposition from many leading figures in medical circles who maintained successful liver transplants would never become a reality. Nevertheless, he persevered.

“Tom was determined and I'm a Christian. And I just believe God had him doing this,” Joy Starzl said.

The unveiling will follow the Pittsburgh premier of a private screening of a documentary “Burden of Genius.”

The film, co-produced by Carl Kurlander and Laura Davis and directed by Tjardus Greidanus, details Starzl's early struggles and ultimate triumphs in the field of transplantation.

Here's the new Starzl statue:

thomas-starzl-statue.jpg

http://triblive.com/news/healthnow/...tatute-unveiled-outside-cathedral-of-learning

Last edited:
Reactions: jtbuba
Interestingly, other than the Panther statues, I can think of only one other full statue that Pitt has honoring a person. Anyone know?

There are a couple of depictions of others, including the relief of Henry Clay Frick on the outside of the Frick Fine Arts Building and the busts of George and Yolanda Barco and Edward Sell in the Barco Law Building, but there just aren't any full statues depicting individuals except for this older one and the new Starzl one.

This also raises the question of which other (deceased) Pitt faculty and/or alumni that should have statues on campus if one is to go down that route:
Hugh Henry Brackenridge
Samuel Langley
William Jacob Holland
Andrew Mellon
Reginald Fessenden
Validimr Zworkykin
Joe Thompson
Pop Warner
Jock Sutherland
Doc Carlson
Gene Kelly
Jonas Salk
Maud Menten
Peter Safar
Paul Lauterbur
K. Leroy Irvis
Wangari Maathai
Fred Rogers

Pitt's history is really underappreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtbuba

Can the Big Ten continue to take credit for him and feature him in their commercials?

What does a sculptor make off of something like this?

Can’t be many sculptors who really make these kinds of things.

Interestingly, other than the Panther statues, I can think of only one other full statue that Pitt has honoring a person. Anyone know?

There are a couple of depictions of others, including the relief of Henry Clay Frick on the outside of the Frick Fine Arts Building and the busts of George and Yolanda Barco and Edward Sell in the Barco Law Building, but there just aren't any full statues depicting individuals except for this older one and the new Starzl one.

This also raises the question of which other (deceased) Pitt faculty and/or alumni that should have statues on campus if one is to go down that route:
Hugh Henry Brackenridge
Samuel Langley
William Jacob Holland
Andrew Mellon
Reginald Fessenden
Validimr Zworkykin
Joe Thompson
Pop Warner
Jock Sutherland
Doc Carlson
Gene Kelly
Jonas Salk
Maud Menten
Peter Safar
Paul Lauterbur
K. Leroy Irvis
Wangari Maathai
Fred Rogers

Salk of course jumps out at me.. am I losing my mind but didn't pitt have something with gene Kelly on a lamppost (singing in the rain theme of course) near the union at one time? wasn't a statue, maybe a plaque?

Pitt football should recognize Pop Warner more IMO. that's a heck of a name to be associated with.

Salk of course jumps out at me.. am I losing my mind but didn't pitt have something with gene Kelly on a lamppost (singing in the rain theme of course) near the union at one time? wasn't a statue, maybe a plaque?

Pitt football should recognize Pop Warner more IMO. that's a heck of a name to be associated with.
Good call on Pop.....

He goes to the roots of the game itself
Wasn’t he another Pitt lost to Stanford......but regardless he was at Pitt so honor it

Very publicly

Good call on Pop.....

He goes to the roots of the game itself
Wasn’t he another Pitt lost to Stanford......but regardless he was at Pitt so honor it

Very publicly
left us for Stanford, former player took over, Sutherland of course. Warner gets credit for a lot with football including the screen pass, the spiral punt, single wing, and the use of shoulder and thigh pads. Now I don't know if any of that is true but if so, that's some pretty important things.

Please don't ask me how one invents the Spiral punt, maybe he was one of the first ones to teach that technique maybe? I don't know.

In 1914, Warner was hired by the University of Pittsburgh, where he coached his teams to 33 straight major wins and has been credited with three national championships, in 1915, 1916 and 1918.[6] He coached Pittsburgh from 1915 to 1923, compiling a record of 60–12–4.[7] One of Warner's players, Jock Sutherland, would succeed him as the head coach at Pitt.

left us for Stanford, former player took over, Sutherland of course. Warner gets credit for a lot with football including the screen pass, the spiral punt, single wing, and the use of shoulder and thigh pads. Now I don't know if any of that is true but if so, that's some pretty important things.

Please don't ask me how one invents the Spiral punt, maybe he was one of the first ones to teach that technique maybe? I don't know.

In 1914, Warner was hired by the University of Pittsburgh, where he coached his teams to 33 straight major wins and has been credited with three national championships, in 1915, 1916 and 1918.[6] He coached Pittsburgh from 1915 to 1923, compiling a record of 60–12–4.[7] One of Warner's players, Jock Sutherland, would succeed him as the head coach at Pitt.
Probably as opposed to the drop kick. ???
Maybe

Probably as opposed to the drop kick. ???
Maybe
I couldn't remember who our starting QB was in '86 without looking it up, I surely cant remember what punters were doing pre WW1. and no I wont quit calling you Shirley.

Hugh Henry Brackenridge
Samuel Langley
William Jacob Holland
Andrew Mellon
Reginald Fessenden
Validimr Zworkykin
Joe Thompson
Pop Warner
Jock Sutherland
Doc Carlson
Gene Kelly
Jonas Salk
Maud Menten
Peter Safar
Paul Lauterbur
K. Leroy Irvis
Wangari Maathai
Fred Rogers

you can scratch Dr. Parran's name of any future lists, that's for sure..

The Gene Kelly plaque is embedded in the sidewalk outside of the union I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT