ADVERTISEMENT

OT- SCF- Game #6 ..... Pens vs Nashville ......

I think the Pens got fleeced on this Fleury deal. They gave up a 2020 2nd rounder to ensure Vegas took him and might have agreed to that in February. Based on what Calgary just gave up for Mike Smith the Pens could have traded Fleury for at least the 2nd round pick (and a decent prospect) and given Vegas less than that to not take Cole or Rust.

Granted the pay off is way down the line for the pick to Vegas, but there is just no way you can convince me the Penguins wouldn't have been better off getting a 2018 2nd rounder and Brandon Hickey for Fleury and then sending (at worst IMO) the 2020 2nd to Vegas to ensure they don't take Rust or Cole. You'd essentially be getting the better end of a 2nd round pick swap and Brandon Hickey for (at worst) Oscar Sundqvist or Scott Wilson, instead of basically trading a 2020 2nd to keep Oscar Sundqvist or Wilson.

I think the Pens got fleeced on this Fleury deal. They gave up a 2020 2nd rounder to ensure Vegas took him and might have agreed to that in February. Based on what Calgary just gave up for Mike Smith the Pens could have traded Fleury for at least the 2nd round pick (and a decent prospect) and given Vegas less than that to not take Cole or Rust.

Granted the pay off is way down the line for the pick to Vegas, but there is just no way you can convince me the Penguins wouldn't have been better off getting a 2018 2nd rounder and Brandon Hickey for Fleury and then sending (at worst IMO) the 2020 2nd to Vegas to ensure they don't take Rust or Cole. You'd essentially be getting the better end of a 2nd round pick swap and Brandon Hickey for (at worst) Oscar Sundqvist or Scott Wilson, instead of basically trading a 2020 2nd to keep Oscar Sundqvist or Wilson.
Hindsight is 20/20

On the surface you are right but a couple of things factor into this:
1) as you mentioned, I think this deal was agreed upon in Feb when Fleury agreed to waive no trade clause to go to Vegas.At that point I think the deal was essentially made. While technically either side could have gone back on the deal I think both teams were committed to the handshake deal. In Feb, I don't think it was a sure thing you could trade Fleury so easily.
2) Fleury had a limited no Trade clause. He could pick 10(I think that is the number) teams that he could be traded to and block the rest. Maybe Calgary was blocked, maybe the 10 he picked were simply not fits.
3)Lastly, I think the Pens essentially moved Fleury based on his wishes because he has been such a good member of the team for so many years. In a perfect world I don't think teams should factor in player emotions when considering trades but this was not a normal situation with the expansion draft, being in middle of Stanley Cup run season, and so on. Bottom line, they took less, alot less when you compare Smith trade, to make sure Fleury was moving on to a place he was going to be happy at and to ensure he left on good terms.

1) as you mentioned, I think this deal was agreed upon in Feb when Fleury agreed to waive no trade clause to go to Vegas.At that point I think the deal was essentially made. While technically either side could have gone back on the deal I think both teams were committed to the handshake deal. In Feb, I don't think it was a sure thing you could trade Fleury so easily.
2) Fleury had a limited no Trade clause. He could pick 10(I think that is the number) teams that he could be traded to and block the rest. Maybe Calgary was blocked, maybe the 10 he picked were simply not fits.
3)Lastly, I think the Pens essentially moved Fleury based on his wishes because he has been such a good member of the team for so many years. In a perfect world I don't think teams should factor in player emotions when considering trades but this was not a normal situation with the expansion draft, being in middle of Stanley Cup run season, and so on. Bottom line, they took less, alot less when you compare Smith trade, to make sure Fleury was moving on to a place he was going to be happy at and to ensure he left on good terms.
Agree with this likelihood. The Pens had been trying to make a decent deal for Fleury for a year now. They made an informal agreement to convince LV to take Fleury back before the playoffs. If he hadn't played well (or at all) since then, most would not have given yesterday a second thought. But whoa, Fleury rather unexpectedly, played a lot, and quite well, in the playoffs, so now there were suddenly second thoughts among the populace. Right or wrong, the org and coaches didn't waiver though, obviously as shown when they inserted Murray back into the net as soon as he was semi-healthy enough.

I really don't think it is that big of a deal. At all. Did you see what some of the other trades brought?

Kevin Villeux, Shane Endicott, Carl Sneep, Michael Gergen, Ryan Stone, Philip Samuelson, Scott Harrington, Teddy Blueger, Johannes Salmonsson, Ondrej Nemec, Noah Welch. Jeremy Van Hoof, Alexander Zhavakhin. You know who these guys are? These are Penguin 2nd rd picks over the last 20 years. It is that bad. Doesn't matter if they picked in the top 4 or bottom 4 of the round. Doesn't matter. Spanning many GM's and scouting staffs.

I was worried they would have had to come up with a package, like others did including a 1st rounder. They didn't. And why did Vegas take a 2nd over say a Sundquist or Wilson? Well if I am the Pens I am looking at both of those guys to inexpensively fill a role/roster slot next year, but Vegas a 2nd rd draft pick in tow is another chip they have to maneuver. It really was meaningless. Nothing to worry about.

And it is my understanding this was agreed upon early in the spring. So.

Agree with this likelihood. The Pens had been trying to make a decent deal for Fleury for a year now. They made an informal agreement to convince LV to take Fleury back before the playoffs. If he hadn't played well (or at all) since then, most would not have given yesterday a second thought. But whoa, Fleury rather unexpectedly, played a lot, and quite well, in the playoffs, so now there were suddenly second thoughts among the populace. Right or wrong, the org and coaches didn't waiver though, obviously as shown when they inserted Murray back into the net as soon as he was semi-healthy enough.

Yep, agree. Fleury greatly improved his stock with his 9 wins in this years playoffs. Prior to that, he was no sure thing for someone to take on his almost 6 mil salary so trading him was not necessarily an easy task.

Yes. That's exactly correct. Look, the 4 most obvious trade "partners" to receive MAF are/were as follows:
1) Calgary. I heard the Pens tried, but MAF did not want to go there.
2) Dallas. Definitely this was a match, but....Dallas was able to acquire Ben Bishop for essentially nothing, and sign him to a longer term, cheaper deal than MAF. So....
3) Winnipeg. MAF no way had them on his list.
4) Philadelphia. The Pens in no way had any desire to solve Philly's goaltending problems. So they weren't going to trade him to Philly.

Most teams have good to real good to really good goaltending. Perhaps Anaheim, but they think Johnny Whitehall (Gibson) is going to be a great one. So this left Vegas as the best dance partner.

Reactions: pitt2533
I really don't think it is that big of a deal. At all. Did you see what some of the other trades brought?

Kevin Villeux, Shane Endicott, Carl Sneep, Michael Gergen, Ryan Stone, Philip Samuelson, Scott Harrington, Teddy Blueger, Johannes Salmonsson, Ondrej Nemec, Noah Welch. Jeremy Van Hoof, Alexander Zhavakhin. You know who these guys are? These are Penguin 2nd rd picks over the last 20 years. It is that bad. Doesn't matter if they picked in the top 4 or bottom 4 of the round. Doesn't matter. Spanning many GM's and scouting staffs.

I was worried they would have had to come up with a package, like others did including a 1st rounder. They didn't. And why did Vegas take a 2nd over say a Sundquist or Wilson? Well if I am the Pens I am looking at both of those guys to inexpensively fill a role/roster slot next year, but Vegas a 2nd rd draft pick in tow is another chip they have to maneuver. It really was meaningless. Nothing to worry about.

And it is my understanding this was agreed upon early in the spring. So.
I don't disagree this sounds like it was agreed to long ago. That doesn't look very smart imo. What ended up happening was they got fleeced. It won't affect the cup window, which is all that really matters and maybe Flower is even back as a backup by 2020. That would be interesting.

It just is very clear this wasn't a good deal for Pittsburgh. Maybe it was a good deal for MAF and our relationship with him. Cool, but still not great asset management IMO.

I don't disagree this sounds like it was agreed to long ago. That doesn't look very smart imo. What ended up happening was they got fleeced. It won't affect the cup window, which is all that really matters and maybe Flower is even back as a backup by 2020. That would be interesting.

It just is very clear this wasn't a good deal for Pittsburgh. Maybe it was a good deal for MAF and our relationship with him. Cool, but still not great asset management IMO.

I slightly disagree with you because it was a good deal for the Pens back in Feb and frankly it allowed them to win another cup. If they don't make that deal and hang onto Fleury and he never regains his value, they could have been stuck with protecting him and not Murray. That risk made the deal a smart move.

In Feb, Fleury did not have the same value he had today. He was hard to trade at that time due to his salary and his value being at an all time low. But he still had value to the Pens as a good backup so they worked out a deal that allowed them to keep him for one more cup run to provide insurance for Murray. The way I look at it is they made the deal in Feb/March and were allowed to still use Fleury the rest of the year.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Again, I don't think they got "fleeced". As far as Asset Management, MAF wanted to be a starter, the Pens wanted his salary freed up. This left few real options, as I posted in thread above.

The 4 most obvious trade "partners" to receive MAF are/were as follows:
1) Calgary. I heard the Pens tried, but MAF did not want to go there.
2) Dallas. Definitely this was a match, but....Dallas was able to acquire Ben Bishop for essentially nothing, and sign him to a longer term, cheaper deal than MAF. So....
3) Winnipeg. MAF no way had them on his list.
4) Philadelphia. The Pens in no way had any desire to solve Philly's goaltending problems. So they weren't going to trade him to Philly.

Most teams have good to real good to really good goaltending. Perhaps Anaheim, but they think Johnny Whitehall (Gibson) is going to be a great one. So this left Vegas as the best dance partner. The Pens essentially gave a 2nd rd pick to Vegas 3 years from now to take his salary and not take Bryan Rust.

Based on what Calgary just gave up for Mike Smith the Pens could have traded Fleury for at least the 2nd round pick (and a decent prospect) and given Vegas less than that to not take Cole or Rust.

Why on earth would Vegas have taken less than a second round pick to not pick Cole or Rust. Cole and especially Rust are worth a heck of a lot more than a second round draft pick. Owt did a good job listing some of the Pens second round draft picks over the years, and it's not like the Pens are the only team like that. There is a reason that NHL teams put very little value on anything other than a top ten or maybe top half of the first round draft pick. Because the fact of the matter is that those picks are like lottery tickets. Sometimes they cash big, but a lot more often than not they end up being worthless or close to it.

If you asked any team in the NHL right now if they would rather have their second round draft pick this year or they would rather have Bryan Rust every single team would pick Rust. Every one of them. Because when teams make a pick like that they are hoping that the guy turns into the kind of prospect that Rust already is. Even an older guy like Cole will have more value in the NHL for the rest of his career than the large majority of guys taken in the second round of this year's draft will have in their whole careers. For the Penguins to have gotten Vegas to consider not taking Rust or Cole in your scenario the bidding starts at a first round draft pick. And seeing as to how the Penguins are drafting at the end of the first round this year and likely will be in the foreseeable future, the Pens' first round pick this year wouldn't have been nearly enough.

Rip...my thoughts...

Fleury is gone. UFA's.........
Kunitz. Maybe a 1 year deal at $2 mill, he is a bottom 6 winger. Love him come playoff time. BUT....the key is, can Scott Wilson come in and be the next Chris Kunitz? Which I think he can and will be. But Kunitz has 4 rings now.....if some team comes in with a 2-3 year deal at $2.5-3 million per, you have to let him walk.
Bonino. Some team is going to come with a 3-4 year package at $3.5-4 million +. Trust me, I see what alot lesser players get, and this is a guy now with 2 rings and experience, that some lower level team will look for as a 2nd line Center. And he will disappoint in that role. He is a 3rd liner, but again it is a business and Bonino will get paid, and he no longer has to chase rings because he has two.
Cullen: Great story, great romance, possibly if he wants to come back at $1million or so, then yes. But he may not want to come back. He may just want to retire. He also may be back as Dickie Tocchet's replacement behind the bench.
Daley: He will be 34 years. He is going to likely get a 2-3 year deal at around $3 million. The Pens can easily afford that next year, but not in future years. He was a great soldier but this relationship is likely to end.
Ron Hainsey, Mark Streit, thank you for your service.
Chad Ruwhedel. He is a depth guy. If you can sign him for a 2way contract, likely to return.

Of the RFA's, Schultz, Dumolin and Sheary are the likely must signs. Sundquist will be also but he should be cheap and he is needed to step into a 4th line role. You need cheap bottom 6 players.

The Free Agent class is weak (and it seems to be getting weaker each year as teams are getting smarter and preventing players in their primes from getting to free agency.

I can see the Pens making a run a Martin Hanzal, a big, strong Center faceoff guy, who can score 20 goals.
The Pens also could be looking for a big, "tough" winger to have on the roster to help patrol the ice for Sid, Letang and Geno. I can see the Pens making a run at Cody Franson, Roman Polak, Brendan Smith, Jared Cowan, Karl Alzner. Teams can and likely will offer more, the Pens have what few can offer, a legit, LEGIT chance at a ring. Or two.

I can see the Pens also moving a Hagelin, I like him, but he has 2 years left at $4 million per. A 2 time Cup Winner is always attractive for teams. He could be moved for a Dman.

The Pens have the following guys who will make under a million next year. Guentzel, Rust, Kuhnackl, Wilson, Rowney, Sundquist, in fact most of them will be under $750,000. That gives you alot of flexibility. This is what Chicago has been doing, except Chicago really started getting themselves in a bind for getting too many high priced players they needed to purge guys like Saad, Bolland, etc...

Oh in goal, I know they like Jarry, but I would expect the Pens to sign a Mike Condon like backup, so Jarry can play and be the guy in the AHL instead of sitting behind Murray. I think Daniel Sprong will start the season in the AHL, seeing how he does against men, learning other parts of the game. He no doubt looks like the role of a goal scorer. Oh and Guentzel is the real deal. He has "it". He has speed, one helluva shot, willingness to go to the net, and really high hockey IQ. I think Sheary is great too, I just think that having both he and Guentzel on Sid's line really gives them a lack of size and physical presence that can allow teams to take runs at Sid and Guentzel.

Amazing. After the 2015 season, this team looked dead. Their run over. Too cap strung. A curious trade for Phil Kessel. Their farms system prospects were rated amongst the worst in the NHL. Looked like the Sid/Geno run was over and a disappointment. Bloated. Tired. Then they fired Johnston, all of a sudden these middling prospects started to trickle in one by one and be real, legit players, Rust, Sheary, Kuhnackl, Guentzel. And Matt Murray happened. All of a sudden the Pens had the best young goalie in the world. Just an amazing transformation as they have won back to back cups, still have their core under contract and are favorites for next year. The NHL hasn't see a franchise like this since the Pre Cap era Red Wings.
Great post Recruits! Let's not forget to add that the Pens also have the best HC in the League too. What did NTOP use as his signature for a while? "These are the good old days." Applicable for sure.

Why on earth would Vegas have taken less than a second round pick to not pick Cole or Rust. Cole and especially Rust are worth a heck of a lot more than a second round draft pick. Owt did a good job listing some of the Pens second round draft picks over the years, and it's not like the Pens are the only team like that. There is a reason that NHL teams put very little value on anything other than a top ten or maybe top half of the first round draft pick. Because the fact of the matter is that those picks are like lottery tickets. Sometimes they cash big, but a lot more often than not they end up being worthless or close to it.

If you asked any team in the NHL right now if they would rather have their second round draft pick this year or they would rather have Bryan Rust every single team would pick Rust. Every one of them. Because when teams make a pick like that they are hoping that the guy turns into the kind of prospect that Rust already is. Even an older guy like Cole will have more value in the NHL for the rest of his career than the large majority of guys taken in the second round of this year's draft will have in their whole careers. For the Penguins to have gotten Vegas to consider not taking Rust or Cole in your scenario the bidding starts at a first round draft pick. And seeing as to how the Penguins are drafting at the end of the first round this year and likely will be in the foreseeable future, the Pens' first round pick this year wouldn't have been nearly enough.
I completely disagree that teams would give up more than a 2nd round pick for 1 year of Ian Cole or 1 year and 1 rfa year of Bryan Rust. Rust is unbelievably overvalued by Penguins fans. This is especially true for a franchise like Vegas who could get an end of roster player AND a 2nd. Your argument equates to you thinking 1 year of Ian Cole (or 1+RFA of Rust, who is worth less than Cole) is worth more than the 30th pick, as well as more than Carter Rowney AND a 2nd round pick. That is crazy.

So, essentially, I couldn't disagree with you more. And I think you would be hard pressed to find a deal that would justify your position.

Last edited:
And I think you would be hard pressed to find a deal that would justify your position.

In exchange for Vegas taking their backup goalie and essentially getting salary cap relief for Mikhail Grabovski (which means Vegas merely keeps him on their injured list until his contract runs out and is essentially meaningless) the Islanders also gave Vegas a mediocre prospect and a second round draft pick and a first round pick in this year's draft that is the 15th pick in the draft.

So that trade is the same as the Islanders trading a mediocre prospect and their backup goalie and the 15th pick in this year's draft and a second round pick in two years just so they could protect who, Ryan Strome? Well no, probably not him since they just traded him. Brock Nelson? Probably better than Rust but also a free agent in one more year. Who then? Who on the Islanders that was available in the expansion draft is worth so much more than Bryan Rust than in addition to the second pick that you don't even think Rust is worth they are also worth a backup goalie and a first round pick too?

By the way, if you want a slightly different but perhaps more relevant example to those of who are Penguins fans, it was what, four months ago that the Penguins traded a second round draft pick for six weeks, what turned out to be 16 regular season games, of Ron Hainsey. Brian Rust is worth a hell of a lot more to a team right now than six weeks of Ron Hainsey.

In short, my position is easy to justify by anyone who pays any attention to NHL trades. NHL teams put almost no value on anything other than high first round draft picks. Second round draft picks are worth six weeks of a guy that if all of your defensemen were healthy wouldn't even have made your top six.

-The cap got raised and Fleury is probably headed to Vegas. We have a ton to work with. The only player Im not crazy about is Olli Maata injury or no injury this year, we can trade him away.

-Resign Cullen and Hainsey on the the cheap. Kunitz takes a paycut. Sheary, Dumo, Bonino, and Shultz get raises. Daley stays about the same as he is aging. That's the bulk of the lineup already done and try to make each contract 1 or 2 years max.

-Should be an easy off-season unless we are adding more, not less. I dont see the difficulty in this at all.

Daley just I formed the pens he is going to sign elsewhere next year. Prelim feelers have him getting a big raise. Not easy to keep everyone when you win.

Bonino likely getting huge raise too. Pens may not be able to match.
I'd much rather spend on Hanzal or find a way to get Duchene (although I worry about chasing that kind of setup with someone who isn't really the guy you'd want to assume PK duties) and not give in too much on the blue line.

Nor should they. That is the byproduct of success. Other teams will overpay for your role players.
It took them years to find a guy like nick bonino. It's gonna be very hard to replace him. But ultimately I agree, at a certain point you just can't get into a bidding war over the guy when it gets to the point you know he's not worth what he's about to sign for.

Daley just I formed the pens he is going to sign elsewhere next year. Prelim feelers have him getting a big raise. Not easy to keep everyone when you win.

Anyone who thought/thinks that the Pens were going to be able to resign Daley and Bonino for nothing more than small raises over what they got last year is completely clueless. Which is why steel posted it.

It took them years to find a guy like nick bonino. It's gonna be very hard to replace him. But ultimately I agree, at a certain point you just can't get into a bidding war over the guy when it gets to the point you know he's not worth what he's about to sign for.

Bonino did also get to play with Phil Kessel. That certainly helped his cause. I'd imagine whichever 3rd line center is brought in will fare pretty well too.

Bonino did also get to play with Phil Kessel. That certainly helped his cause. I'd imagine whichever 3rd line center is brought in will fare pretty well too.
They very well could, he didn't always play with kessel, but when he did they usually played well. I'll just never get over when they got rid of Staal I kept hearing, "oh don't worry, sutter will step in, he might even be better." Well sutter finally left and we saw how much better we were when bonino took over that role.

They absolutely should not get into a bidding war over nick bonino. But I would not be surprised if they struggle this year to find someone to replace him in the lineup. The good thing is if that's the case, I have faith within a couple months into the season Rutherford would address that as a need and acquire someone to center the third line (that is if they can't sign someone the next few days.) It's kinda hard to question anything Rutherford does right now.

Daley's deal is for three years, $9.5 million. Bonino's is for four years, $16.4 million. His old contract was three years, $5.7 million.

Justin Schultz resigns for three years, $16.5 million. He made $1.4 million last season.

Chris Kunitz signs with Tampa for 1 year, $2 million.

I was hoping we could at least keep Schultz at $5M, not $5.5M. And not sure if I'd rather have Daley at $3.16M vs. Hunwick at $2.25M.

I thought Hanzal got a very reasonable deal that would have made sense for us at $4.75M vs what we will likely pay anyone we trade for, plus give up assets.

I am just thankful we has some good years with MAF, and who would have thought when MAF left one day , the position would be upgraded. Positive for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT