ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Serious question. As sports fans what marketing would attract you to an event?

USN_Panther

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2001
Doing some thinking about the upcoming NZ Ice Hockey season, and wanting to kick in some additional donation to the team to help market the local team. The goal being not necessarily to get back the money plus in tickets, but to grow the fanbase, improve the game atmosphere for the players, and to grow the local club player base by attracting youth and adult beginner players.

So not looking to attract one off fans with a gimmick, but trying to draw people who might have interest in playing or become an ongoing fan.

NZ's big spectator sports are rugby and cricket. I would think that the rugby fans would be most likely to meet this definition of desired outcome. Would also want to attract the university students to attend. One of the main revenue sources is the bar at the rink. We have the local brewery as a sponsor and they provide us free beer to sell at the games.

Some of my brainstorming came up with these ideas:
Ad in Friday newspaper sports circular on game weekend (Friday/Saturday games). This is a separate special sports section that I notice many sports fans get the actual print version to read.

Radio ads a few days prior to game day. Target the rock stations.

Social media, perhaps a paid targeted "boosted" post to those locals who like sports related content.

A free van that shuttles back and forth to the university campus before and after the game. Maybe the odd trip has a free box of Speights in the van for consumption on the trip to prime the pump.

Tailgating with food trucks so all one needs to bring is the beer. I am surprised that tailgating doesn't catch on here for rugby. We've done it a few times on the fly for ice hockey and it has worked well, but with the usual crowd not really an attraction for new fans.

So my question is this: as sports fans, what marketing would reach you and make you consider buying tickets and going to the game with a few work mates? (We tried free tickets and those tickets usually end up in the hands of people who would go anyway, or those who go just because it is free and don't come back). The usual crowd is 300-400 paying customers. Ticket price is cheap ($15 NZD...about $10 US). Rink capacity is up to 1200. I would like to target 500-600 attendance as a realistic goal, and attract 15 new players to the club.

How would you suggest going about this on a low budget?

I remember the past head of the Oakland Zoo used to post here. Is he still around? He would probably have some ideas.

You can take the piss out of me if you want, just be funny about it. I am also looking for serious replies.

Thanks in advance.

How about $1 student tickets, just to try a and get young people in the seats?
Yeah, good idea. With a van. Most students here do not have cars, and bus to the rink from campus is sketchy. I thought about student entry with a student ticket gets you a free beer, but I can envision a student getting a hold of a pile of student tickets and just standing at the bar all night!

Thanks for the input. Appreciate the good idea.

Also, a goal song? Preferably original. Not unhappy with the current one- which is "Right back where we started from" by Maxine Nightingale. That is a great song that gets people clapping and dancing. The previous one was "Thunderstruck" and it just got stale.

Yeah, that's tough. Obviously different markets have different issues. For example "free tickets" which has been bantied about alot on these forums, but the fact is, going to a Pitt game is not unaffordable, especially on the secondary market, and people who would go for free tickets are people who would go anyways.

I think in your case, exposure. So social media highlights, with cool music, showing the best goals, saves, hits, etc...showcasing the sport would be the best "marketing" for the sport itself. Obviously creating a fun and festive atmosphere would add to that. But you got to get people curious as to what they are missing. IMO

Reactions: USN_Panther
Three things that get me to games that I usually don’t attend are:

1. Affordable tickets - I think $20 or less.
2. Cheap concessions - Have you seen the prices the Falcons offer at their stadium for traditional concession items?
3. Great fan atmosphere - It doesn’t need to be the entire stadium, but an example would be the “supporters section” or whatever they call it at Riverhounds games. It’s for the hardcore fans of the team. I don’t sit there yet love the energy they bring to the game.

Doing some thinking about the upcoming NZ Ice Hockey season, and wanting to kick in some additional donation to the team to help market the local team. The goal being not necessarily to get back the money plus in tickets, but to grow the fanbase, improve the game atmosphere for the players, and to grow the local club player base by attracting youth and adult beginner players.

So not looking to attract one off fans with a gimmick, but trying to draw people who might have interest in playing or become an ongoing fan.

NZ's big spectator sports are rugby and cricket. I would think that the rugby fans would be most likely to meet this definition of desired outcome. Would also want to attract the university students to attend. One of the main revenue sources is the bar at the rink. We have the local brewery as a sponsor and they provide us free beer to sell at the games.

Ad in Friday newspaper sports circular on game weekend (Friday/Saturday games). This is a separate special sports section that I notice many sports fans get the actual print version to read.

Social media, perhaps a paid targeted "boosted" post to those locals who like sports related content.

A free van that shuttles back and forth to the university campus before and after the game. Maybe the odd trip has a free box of Speights in the van for consumption on the trip to prime the pump.

Tailgating with food trucks so all one needs to bring is the beer. I am surprised that tailgating doesn't catch on here for rugby. We've done it a few times on the fly for ice hockey and it has worked well, but with the usual crowd not really an attraction for new fans.

So my question is this: as sports fans, what marketing would reach you and make you consider buying tickets and going to the game with a few work mates? (We tried free tickets and those tickets usually end up in the hands of people who would go anyway, or those who go just because it is free and don't come back). The usual crowd is 300-400 paying customers. Ticket price is cheap ($15 NZD...about $10 US). Rink capacity is up to 1200. I would like to target 500-600 attendance as a realistic goal, and attract 15 new players to the club.

I remember the past head of the Oakland Zoo used to post here. Is he still around? He would probably have some ideas.

You can take the piss out of me if you want, just be funny about it. I am also looking for serious replies.

Thanks in advance.
How about we are going to let you in to watch a game!

1. Family friendly sections- cheap tickets for children. No foul language or drinking.

2. student section with cheap seats.

3. Games, fun atmosphere. The Washington Wild things have something fun for the spectators after every half inning. Shirts shot into the crowd, discounted beer. Milk n cookies for kids. Beer tastings, free giveaways, races, songs. Great atmosphere. More fun to be in the stands there than a pirates or Steelers
game. This organization FIGHTS for your loyalty. They very much “get it. “ we catch a game every summer when we’re in town. Catch a Pirates game live? No.

cheap food options. Screw you$10 burger platter.

Locally the Pens do a great job of attracting young fans. Course it doesn’t hurt to have Crosby and Malkin.

But they have college rush tickets that are a huge discount from the regular prices, I believe they had open practices though not sure on that, their players delivered your season tickets.

Maybe have the players meet the fans as much as possible. Part of the community

Have some “chalk talks” where people can meet the coaches and some of the players. Create a personal connection with the fans.

The Pittsburgh Spirit used to do high-energy pre-game introductions of their players with music and moving spotlights. My kids loved those...

Three things that get me to games that I usually don’t attend are:

1. Affordable tickets - I think $20 or less.
2. Cheap concessions - Have you seen the prices the Falcons offer at their stadium for traditional concession items?
3. Great fan atmosphere - It doesn’t need to be the entire stadium, but an example would be the “supporters section” or whatever they call it at Riverhounds games. It’s for the hardcore fans of the team. I don’t sit there yet love the energy they bring to the game.

Maybe it’s just a Georgia thing, but the bare bottom concession prices at The Masters are legendary and borderline ridiculous. If you’re so inclined you can walk the course all day and stuff yourself with food and guzzle beer for next to nothing.

Have some “chalk talks” where people can meet the coaches and some of the players. Create a personal connection with the fans.

The Pittsburgh Spirit used to do high-energy pre-game introductions of their players with music and moving spotlights. My kids loved those...
womens basketball does do that a few times during year.

Thanks in advance.
At the risk of stating the obvious I would develop a social network that would include but not limited to the all the big boys. Somehow have direct interaction between the team and the fans, a mid week social hour. As far as recruiting more players I would set up a series measurement to players in North America and Europe such as slap shot puck speed skating speed etc. Finally, team apparel in the hands of the fans t shirts are cheap.

Maybe it’s just a Georgia thing, but the bare bottom concession prices at The Masters are legendary and borderline ridiculous. If you’re so inclined you can walk the course all day and stuff yourself with food and guzzle beer for next to nothing.
Patrons.

I think your team should hire Steve Peterson, as his name isn't tarnished yet in NZ. Have him make all the necessary changes, like new uni design.

Yes, you can eat all day for 15 bucks, as I have done the three times there. I would also add the parking at Augusta is free, when they clearly could make money.

However, the almost free eats and free parking is offset by the merchandise tent where the patrons get killed.

But, nothing at all wrong with that, and attendance at this event shows no signs of letting up.

Just to be a wiseass, I would have a couple of seat sections that are all you can eat.

Of course, I would be sure that the venue didnt run out of hot dog buns. I still laugh out loud when I remember this story.

Is there a more perfect anecdote to describe the ineptitude of the Pirates?

Are there kids hockey teams who would participate in ”team night” events?

If so, target them with a ‘Family special‘ season ticket price. A special ticket price which includes a dog and a Coke for each per game.

Yes, you can eat all day for 15 bucks, as I have done the three times there. I would also add the parking at Augusta is free, when they clearly could make money.

However, the almost free eats and free parking is offset by the merchandise tent where the patrons get killed.

But, nothing at all wrong with that, and attendance at this event shows no signs of letting up.

Ive been there 3 times as well and am always amazed at how well run the Masters is. I’ve never been to any other event where going to the bathroom is an experience in itself.

Half-jokingly, I say to offer the COVID vaccine to everyone in attendance.

But more seriously, I’ll maintain that Pitt fans are like Pirates fans: everyone talks about the team, but attendance at their games is a disappointment. But just like the Pirates, when the fans appeared when the team started winning and making the playoffs, I think that we’d see more Pitt fans in attendance if Pitt started winning regularly, too.

Would they sell-out? No, not regularly. Certain opponents/games would, but most wouldn’t. But over the past few seasons, this wasn’t just a “Pitt issue”. Many other teams not named Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Notre Dame, etc have been reporting diminishing attendance, too.

Just to be a wiseass, I would have a couple of seat sections that are all you can eat.

Of course, I would be sure that the venue didnt run out of hot dog buns. I still laugh out loud when I remember this story.

Is there a more perfect anecdote to describe the ineptitude of the Pirates?

I never heard that story? The Succos ran out of buns?

I never heard that story? The Succos ran out of buns?

Half-jokingly, I say to offer the COVID vaccine to everyone in attendance.

But more seriously, I’ll maintain that Pitt fans are like Pirates fans: everyone talks about the team, but attendance at their games is a disappointment. But just like the Pirates, when the fans appeared when the team started winning and making the playoffs, I think that we’d see more Pitt fans in attendance if Pitt started winning regularly, too.

Would they sell-out? No, not regularly. Certain opponents/games would, but most wouldn’t. But over the past few seasons, this wasn’t just a “Pitt issue”. Many other teams not named Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Notre Dame, etc have been reporting diminishing attendance, too.
You joke about the vaccine angle....the local health board produces public health service announcements on health related topics, and they did a promotional campaign for measles vaccination using the local ice hockey players who are in the NZ national teams. My son was in it, with a non-speaking role of just standing there. The club was supportive of this as it increases visibility of the sport.

The just-win formula is part of the plan, but our league does have an "Alabama". There is a team in the winter resort town and they attract good import talent, and then some of that talent stays in NZ and qualifies as a resident player. (League allows 4 import players per team.) They were tough even this year in a season without being able to bring in imports, as their imports were still here (most other teams they come play the season and leave). So our team develops more of our top players from our youth club and the other team develops some, but imports and retains their stars. They also found Liam Stewart, the son of Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunter. He is a NZ citizen by having a Kiwi mother, so did not count as an import. He was the best player I had seen play in this league, and amazingly he play in 18 games (with a lot of ice time) and did not have a single penalty. Stewart had played for the Great Britain national team in IIHF competitions, and in the WHL.

My son was barely 16 years old and got to play against Stewart (he was a development player and got a couple of shifts each game) . He told me before the game that if he got on the ice at the same time as Stewart, that he was going hit him. Sure enough, he took a run at him and just completely bounced off onto his rear end. He did take the puck off him while seated, so I guess mission was accomplished LOL.

Thing is, Thunder was winning a few years back and played in the finals in back-to-back years. It didn't really affect attendance much. That was a lost opportunity...

My goal of this isn't to necessarily make more money (team manager may disagree LOL). And any increase in profit would hopefully be re-invested by trying to attract better import players in the future. I think the long-play is the way to go by getting a sustainable increase in fan interest, and by attracting and growing the youth leagues to develop more home-grown talent. What I really want to achieve is to get a big and lively crowd where it makes it more fun for the players (and the fans). The players pay to play in this league. I think their experience should be a top priority. And I mean that even for players on visiting teams. It is fun to play in front of a boisterous crowd. And if that becomes the reputation of our rink, we can use that to attract players to want to come play here (imports and also domestic players from other parts of NZ who are looking to study at university). We really underutilise the presence of a good university here also, now that I think about it.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Are there kids hockey teams who would participate in ”team night” events?

If so, target them with a ‘Family special‘ season ticket price. A special ticket price which includes a dog and a Coke for each per game.
We involve the youth teams, sometimes an intermission cross-ice game, etc. We have youth players as puck-kids and moving the nets between periods for the groom, etc. They represent a big part of our current fanbase. We have done "school night" with free tickets to one of the primary schools. That ties at least one parent to buying a ticket...

At the risk of stating the obvious I would develop a social network that would include but not limited to the all the big boys. Somehow have direct interaction between the team and the fans, a mid week social hour. As far as recruiting more players I would set up a series measurement to players in North America and Europe such as slap shot puck speed skating speed etc. Finally, team apparel in the hands of the fans t shirts are cheap.
These are good ideas. Players looking to play and coaches recruiting players have access to some good comparative information. Elite Prospects website show stats for players in all of the various different leagues. We get some guys from the non-elite leagues in Europe or North America and they expect to absolutely light it up here. Not all of them do! But someone who puts up a point per game in the WHL, or the "Q" is going to light it up here.

Reactions: TFBaum

Good idea. The coach is a really personable guy who would be great at this. It would also be a good way to assist a sponsor by hosting it at their venue.

We have some local music talent in the hockey club who have played pregame and intermissions before. Working on getting a big video scoreboard that will help the fan experience (and sponsor interaction).

Thanks for the ideas.

We involve the youth teams, sometimes an intermission cross-ice game, etc. We have youth players as puck-kids and moving the nets between periods for the groom, etc. They represent a big part of our current fanbase. We have done "school night" with free tickets to one of the primary schools. That ties at least one parent to buying a ticket...
That’s what I was thinking. If the spawn want to go, the parents are more likely to be regular attendees. Plus, the little ones have a good chance of being life-long fans.

Thanks in advance.
I would have 2 players pretend to fight, then have one pull a beer out of his sweater and drink it while on the ice. Oh, forgot, they did that in New Zealand already.😁

That’s what I was thinking. If the spawn want to go, the parents are more likely to be regular attendees. Plus, the little ones have a good chance of being life-long fans.
When we first moved here, our first NZIHL game was a preseason game against Christchurch. Adam's peewee coach (Adam was 7) was playing and was in a brutal brawl. Scrape the blood off the ice type brawl. Adam says to me "that's my coach". Haven't seen anything like it since, as fighting here now gets you suspended for a few games. Adam grew up wanting to play for Thunder, and he is going to university here so he can keep playing.

I would have 2 players pretend to fight, then have one pull a beer out of his sweater and drink it while on the ice. Oh, forgot, they did that in New Zealand already.😁
Haha. That happened in the US actually, but that guy played in CHCH for a year. He is from Pittsburgh IIRC. His name is Puntereri.
It is what I would expect from CHCH imports lol.

These are good ideas. Players looking to play and coaches recruiting players have access to some good comparative information. Elite Prospects website show stats for players in all of the various different leagues. We get some guys from the non-elite leagues in Europe or North America and they expect to absolutely light it up here. Not all of them do! But someone who puts up a point per game in the WHL, or the "Q" is going to light it up here.
One other thing you might want to explore is putting together highlight videos with cool music much like the old NFL films and This Week in Baseball. You are probably to young to remember This Week in Baseball.

Hockey, like any other game, is not something you can mold and shape depending on people's preferences, so in this case, the only marketing strategy you can apply is the promotion and advertising of this sport. When you have a business, like me, then you can apply different marketing strategies, from developing a product or a service depending on the customer's preferences to promoting the products or the services on the market. Usually, I collaborate with a company that helps me to test business ideas, in order to avoid investing in unworthy projects.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
three simple words.... Disco Demolition Night

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT