ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Serious question. As sports fans what marketing would attract you to an event?

I'll be honest, I've never once made a decision to attend a sporting event based on any marketing. As a kid, it was always cool to get the free Pitt tassel hat at games or a cool cup but that's as far as it went. I would have gone anyway.
the only game promotion that got me as an adult was the Ironhead head on a paint stirrer stick night...damn shame I did not save it for the Antiques Roadshow...

Maybe have the players meet the fans as much as possible. Part of the community

Have some “chalk talks” where people can meet the coaches and some of the players. Create a personal connection with the fans.

I agree with this ... I think people with a personal connection can become more than just a casual fan. Also have the players/coaches do as much recruiting of fans as possible -- tell their friends about the games, encourage them to come with their other friends, etc.

Reactions: USN_Panther
One other thing you might want to explore is putting together highlight videos with cool music much like the old NFL films and This Week in Baseball. You are probably to young to remember This Week in Baseball.
The NZIHF has some guys they work with who do this for the league. They pick a goal of the week, hit of the week, save of the week etc. What we will need to do is get that more widely distributed on social media. We are working on getting a video scoreboard, and content like that would be great to show at the games.

I am old enough to remember This Week in Baseball. My concern on a self-produced video set to music is what is the deal with copyright and rights to use music for something like this?

Reactions: TFBaum
The NZIHF has some guys they work with who do this for the league. They pick a goal of the week, hit of the week, save of the week etc. What we will need to do is get that more widely distributed on social media. We are working on getting a video scoreboard, and content like that would be great to show at the games.

I am old enough to remember This Week in Baseball. My concern on a self-produced video set to music is what is the deal with copyright and rights to use music for something like this?
If you were in the USA and you were a 501(c) Organization getting music waivers are pretty easy we did it with my children’s water polo team. Not sure about NZ. Would other leagues NHL KHL help? My view is the more exposure hockey can get globally they better. Good luck.

If you were in the USA and you were a 501(c) Organization getting music waivers are pretty easy we did it with my children’s water polo team. Not sure about NZ. Would other leagues NHL KHL help? My view is the more exposure hockey can get globally they better. Good luck.
What is the process for getting a music waiver?

What is the process for getting a music waiver?

The royalty free site actually has really good music. Good luck. Also make sure the NZIHL copyrights everything. All you need to do is apply the copyright sign. One other thing you might want to think about is marketing the teams jerseys in the US. My son collects international team hockey jerseys, he has all of the European national teams and as you know the Kiwi rugby jerseys are very popular in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther

The royalty free site actually has really good music. Good luck. Also make sure the NZIHL copyrights everything. All you need to do is apply the copyright sign. One other thing you might want to think about is marketing the teams jerseys in the US. My son collects international team hockey jerseys, he has all of the European national teams and as you know the Kiwi rugby jerseys are very popular in the US.
Do you want a Dunedin Thunder jersey for your son? Let me know. I'll get you one for him this season.

OK, a follow-up on this. Dunedin Thunder is now the "Phoenix Thunder" as they attracted a naming sponsor for what would be considered big money for this league. Phoenix is an organic cola company in NZ that caters mostly to cafes.

The local craft brewery (New New New) is a new sponsor and the team is going to their brew pub post-game. I went last Saturday and both teams and coaching staffs and a good number of fans of both teams were there. It was pretty much a complete ice hockey take over of their pub. They probably made back their sponsorship in one weekend!

The crowds for these first two games (basically exhibitions against the NZ U23 development team plus some senior mentor players) were as big as I have seen for any Thunder games. Pretty loud too.

So what worked: posters placed on the main thoroughfares around town. Newspaper articles on the team leading into the game. Online ads on the newspaper website that targeted sports content. Paid ads with the paper assisted in getting them to cover. There were good postgame articles with photos too. Our local paper is a good media partner. A local radio station was paid to run ads, and they went further by having a big presence at the game. A number of fans at the game told me they heard about it on the radio and decided to go.

What really helped was a few weeks ago, the NZIHF held the training camps for the Ice Blacks senior men's team, and the U20s and U18s all together here over 4 days. On the Saturday night of the camp they held a 4-period game with the U18s playing U20s for 2 periods, then a split squad game of the Ice Blacks. NZIHF marketed this heavily with posters, social media, radio and newspaper. We had a huge crowd for that game, and it carried over to the Thunder.

The games were entertaining. Very close games through 2 periods both nights, then the Thunder came through with big 3rd periods to win comfortably. Some really amazing goals at the end of the rink with the crowd, and the players did their cellie in front of the crowd end. The players really responded to the crowd and it is synergistic.

Intermission entertainment was a shot at net with Woodie to win $200 for one period, and then recliner races where someone sits in a recliner and gets pushed down ice and back. The second night there was a brief cross-ice game of the U10s.

Team social media is on fire this week, and people are organising van trips to go to Christchurch next week (and future away games) to support the boys at their away games.

Adam told me that after the Saturday game, all those kids from the youth game were in the change room after game high fiving and getting their jerseys signed by the Thunder players. Adam said he had never seen anything like it, like they were rock stars and had fans!

I will disclose that I had little to nothing to do with this (I passed on these ideas to the marketing team for the Thunder). I donated some money to help kick-start it, but this all feels very organic. I think that coming off of Covid that people really want to see live sport and to feel a part of it. That and the local pro rugby team has sucked this year, and the coached bailed mid-season to go coach in Japan. Thunder is the home team that has the best chances to win this year.

Oh yeah, and they made tickets cheap, and the sponsors are happy as they are selling heaps of cola and beer at the games.

Adam played defence and had 1 assist, and was plus 3 and was not on ice for any goals (including killing a 5 on 3). Thunder rolled 4 lines of F and D in these development games. This will get cut down to 3 D lines for the regular season starting in 10 days.

DJ3U-W2WkAEtVjr

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT