ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Bengals

This was the best the OL played all year. Next week will be a much bigger challenge. Props to Rudolph for playing well today.
This. Rudy had all day to pass on most plays. I could have gained 4 yards on most of the running plays

I want to see Rudy play next week. I suspect we’ won’t be seeing anywhere near the same level of performance from the offense

I suspect we’ won’t be seeing anywhere near the same level of performance from the offense
Time will tell, but you have to admit, rudolph's play without the advantage of weeks of playing and practice of actually getting reps should improve with another week of running with the 1's

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Time will tell, but you have to admit, rudolph's play without the advantage of weeks of playing and practice of actually getting reps should improve with another week of running with the 1's
Rudolph play correlates directly with the performance of the OL He rarely had anyone in his face and had a ground game that kept the defense honest

Not taking anything away from Rudy as he made some really good throws and played well. Almost passed for as many yards against Cinci as KP did He missed a number of wide open receivers as well

What we know for sure is that Mitch is terrible and likely be moving on with his life’s work after this year.

Rudolph play correlates directly with the performance of the OL He rarely had anyone in his face and had a ground game that kept the defense honest

Not taking anything away from Rudy as he made some really good throws and played well. Almost passed for as many yards against Cinci as KP did He missed a number of wide open receivers as well

What we know for sure is that Mitch is terrible and likely be moving on with his life’s work after this year.
Rudolph needs some more credit than that. We've seen good OL play over the past couple of seasons without that type of QB performance.

Helps when the qb doesn’t run in to sacks.
Yeah it’s amazing how we have a QB in Pickett that turns the wrong way into sacks and a one cut RB in Harris that usually seems to make that cut to the wrong side. Both still have periods of effectiveness but would be a lot better if they could fix that one issue.

• Haha
It’s funny how Steeler fans don’t want to give him credit. You bought into the propaganda of the Pittsburgh sports media that he was garbage and you should give up on him and now all of a sudden you say that the line played better. ROFL. The line played just the same. The difference was that their quarterback changed his protections And he threw the ball on time. We still saw the same free runners when they blitzed that we’ve been seeing all season long. The difference was that Mason had a plan that was a veteran. Experienced plan that the other two just don’t have composure to do. Which is to either step up throw it away or just take a sack. Mason has been a pretty good passer since 2020. He just never was given a chance to be a full-time starter for a full season. Otherwise this guy would be going to pro bowl every year and we wouldn’t have had the waste draft picks on stuff like running backs and quarterbacks SMH. I told you guys about how guys make bad evaluations, and when you don’t have a real scheme, you make bad evaluations, because at the NFL level when all the athletes are equal when your scheme is worse it’s significantly shows up . When I saw Mason throw for 300 yards under Randy Fichner scheme, I said this guy figured out the NFL game. But Mike Tomlin is obsessed with mobile quarterbacks so he never give him a chance.

I sure hope Rudolph didn’t ruin your Christmas. Between this and the other thread you sure have a number of posts that make it seem you’re mad that Rudy had a decent game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt GOR
It’s funny how Steeler fans don’t want to give him credit. You bought into the propaganda of the Pittsburgh sports media that he was garbage and you should give up on him and now all of a sudden you say that the line played better. ROFL. The line played just the same. The difference was that their quarterback changed his protections And he threw the ball on time. We still saw the same free runners when they blitzed that we’ve been seeing all season long. The difference was that Mason had a plan that was a veteran. Experienced plan that the other two just don’t have composure to do. Which is to either step up throw it away or just take a sack. Mason has been a pretty good passer since 2020. He just never was given a chance to be a full-time starter for a full season. Otherwise this guy would be going to pro bowl every year and we wouldn’t have had the waste draft picks on stuff like running backs and quarterbacks SMH. I told you guys about how guys make bad evaluations, and when you don’t have a real scheme, you make bad evaluations, because at the NFL level when all the athletes are equal when your scheme is worse it’s significantly shows up . When I saw Mason throw for 300 yards under Randy Fichner scheme, I said this guy figured out the NFL game. But Mike Tomlin is obsessed with mobile quarterbacks so he never give him a chance.
Rudolph would be going to the Pro Bowl every year. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Rudolph needs some more credit than that. We've seen good OL play over the past couple of seasons without that type of QB performance.
You must be watching a different game. Invariably there are as many jail breaks as there is good protection. KP put up similar numbers to Rudy against a bad Cinci team without Canada (in the first week after Canada was gone).

Let’s revisit Rudy after next week

I sure hope Rudolph didn’t ruin your Christmas. Between this and the other thread you sure have a number of posts that make it seem you’re mad that Rudy had a decent game?
Not at all. I’m happy for him. He seems like a good guy. He played well. I’m just not going to go over board on his play given that KP had similar stats against the bengals in the first game after Canada was canned. Let’s revisit Rudy after next week

You must be watching a different game. Invariably there are as many jail breaks as there is good protection. KP put up similar numbers to Rudy against a bad Cinci team without Canada (in the first week after Canada was gone).

Let’s revisit Rudy after next week
Every single week? No.

Not at all. I’m happy for him. He seems like a good guy. He played well. I’m just not going to go over board on his play given that KP had similar stats against the bengals in the first game after Canada was canned. Let’s revisit Rudy after next week
That’s the 1st time the Steelers won a game scoring 30+ pts in 3 years. I’ll take it regardless who the QB was although we do know who it wasn’t 😏.

You lost me when you claimed in multiple posts that Mason had all day to throw. We were watching different games.

It’s understandable since this is a Pitt message board but yesterday sure did demonstrate we have a lot of KP fans posing as Steelers fans. Sheesh, we sure don’t have to go overboard announcing Mason as the next great Steelers QB but it’s amazing how so many can’t bring themselves to give him even the slightest credit for yesterday.

But Mike Tomlin is obsessed with mobile quarterbacks so he never give him a chance.

Rudolph was a free agent this past off season, and literally no other team in the NFL offered him a chance to even be their backup. Which is why he came back to Pittsburgh to be third string. Third string in Pittsburgh is better than sitting at home hoping that someone, somewhere, will give you a chance.

Is it possible that Mike Tomlin completely blew the way he handled Rudolph? Yeah, sure, a chance. But literally no one else in the NFL thought that he was good enough to give a chance to, so if that's the case there are a lot of people who completely blew it.

That’s the 1st time the Steelers won a game scoring 30+ pts in 3 years. I’ll take it regardless who the QB was although we do know who it wasn’t 😏.

You lost me when you claimed in multiple posts that Mason had all day to throw. We were watching different games.

It’s understandable since this is a Pitt message board but yesterday sure did demonstrate we have a lot of KP fans posing as Steelers fans. Sheesh, we sure don’t have to go overboard announcing Mason as the next great Steelers QB but it’s amazing how so many can’t bring themselves to give him even the slightest credit for yesterday.
I give him a lot of credit. But yesterday’s game is fools gold in terms of how well Rudy played against a defense that is terrible. Kps and Rudy’s stats were similar. Again I’ll be happy to eat crow if Rudy lights it up again next week Im willing to bet the offense regresses to the mean next week

Rudolph was a free agent this past off season, and literally no other team in the NFL offered him a chance to even be their backup. Which is why he came back to Pittsburgh to be third string. Third string in Pittsburgh is better than sitting at home hoping that someone, somewhere, will give you a chance.

Is it possible that Mike Tomlin completely blew the way he handled Rudolph? Yeah, sure, a chance. But literally no one else in the NFL thought that he was good enough to give a chance to, so if that's the case there are a lot of people who completely blew it.
That explanation that no other team offered them anything means crap to me. Half the leagues, GM’s and coaches get fired because they’re incompetent at their job. I seem to remember a lot of guys who had to go to the CFL and XFL and world league Europe just to get a chance to play who weren’t given spots on rosters. Why don’t you just admit that there was the possibility that the front office and the fans made a bad evaluation Based on not enough data? It’s OK to admit you made a bad evaluation. We all do it. The issue with Mike Tomlin is that he allows his ego to come before the team very often and it kept the team from being as good as they could’ve been, even over the course of the last six or seven years . I can micro through decisions that were based on nepotism and not actual data and good football sense. And just remember scouts are very lazy. GM’s don’t look at the full picture often times because they don’t have enough information. And what a tragedy is that they have the ability to get more information, and they choose not to . If you’re one of the guys who wrote off Mason Rudolph after 10 starts and said he just wasn’t a good NFL quarterback, then you would’ve wrote off a ton of Hall of Famers.

That explanation that no other team offered them anything means crap to me. Half the leagues, GM’s and coaches get fired because they’re incompetent at their job. I seem to remember a lot of guys who had to go to the CFL and XFL and world league Europe just to get a chance to play who weren’t given spots on rosters. Why don’t you just admit that there was the possibility that the front office and the fans made a bad evaluation Based on not enough data? It’s OK to admit you made a bad evaluation. We all do it. The issue with Mike Tomlin is that he allows his ego to come before the team very often and it kept the team from being as good as they could’ve been, even over the course of the last six or seven years . I can micro through decisions that were based on nepotism and not actual data and good football sense. And just remember scouts are very lazy. GM’s don’t look at the full picture often times because they don’t have enough information. And what a tragedy is that they have the ability to get more information, and they choose not to . If you’re one of the guys who wrote off Mason Rudolph after 10 starts and said he just wasn’t a good NFL quarterback, then you would’ve wrote off a ton of Hall of Famers.
Did you think Mason had it figured out after he led Steelers to a 16-16 tie against an 0-8 lions team?
Mason is more Scott Mitchell/Mike White than he is future hall of famer

Kenny has been judged and determined to be better than Rudolph. Think most will agree to that although I doubt you do which is fine. Question remaining is can Kenny get better? He will have one more season to show improvement under a new OC otherwise back into the QB roulette the Steelers will enter.

Did you think Mason had it figured out after he led Steelers to a 16-16 tie against an 0-8 lions team?
Mason is more Scott Mitchell/Mike White than he is future hall of famer
I did actually. When I saw Dan Campbell call plays for the first time, and come out in formations they had never come out in and were effective. I knew that that was gonna be a tough game. Also knew that Dan Campbell would eventually take the lions to division title and the playoffs. And that he will be a top five coach in the league, because he knows what he’s doing. Mason did everything he was supposed to do to win that game. You can’t count for receivers fumbling the ball when you’re on your way to score game-winning drives. This is the NFL. Just because the team is 0-8 doesn’t mean that they don’t have the ability to beat you that week.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Kenny has been judged and determined to be better than Rudolph. Think most will agree to that although I doubt you do which is fine. Question remaining is can Kenny get better? He will have one more season to show improvement under a new OC otherwise back into the QB roulette the Steelers will enter.
Based on what?

GPCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG
QB1

QB2

QB3

Who do you start?

So, if Rudolph is the second coming of the QB gods in PGH, does that mean Tomlin should be fired on the spot this morning for holding him back or did Tomlin do a masterful job of rallying his team to win? Which narrative do we prefer? Quick, before the bottom drops out again.

• Haha
Reactions: pittbb80
Why don’t you just admit that there was the possibility that the front office and the fans made a bad evaluation Based on not enough data?
Is it possible that Mike Tomlin completely blew the way he handled Rudolph? Yeah, sure, a chance.

It's almost as if your reading comprehension is as bad as everyone across the NFL thinks that Mason Rudolph's quarterback play is.

QB1

QB2

QB3

Who do you start?
I'll play. QB1

QB2 doesn't throw TDs, Q3 throws too many INTs. QB1 is where I expected Pickett to be in year 2 in terms of TDs and INTs, just low in terms of yardage.

Reactions: boseman7
QB1

QB2

QB3

Who do you start?
How many of these are GS ( games started ) vs GP ( games played )??? QB’s can “play in a game due to injury or blowouts or a benching and it will dictate a lot of numbers…..line it up
11 starts
24 starts
46 ( give or take ) starts…..
Try Again. We can manipulate #’s to fit a narrative.

Let’s just get to the heart of the matter. You and the rest of the people who think you know quarterback play think you can evaluate a quarterback, and who he is based on 10 starts. To me that shows me that you don’t know what you’re talking about if you can evaluate a quarterback, and tell me he’s not it based on 10 starts. Well, I do agree that you can probably see that a guy isn’t an NFL quarterback within a game or two. I don’t believe that you can tell what a guys ceiling is if he is an average quarterback until 25 to 34 starts. And I don’t believe that you can say that he’s a franchise quarterback until 51 starts. They are tiers to quarterback play. There is a such thing as having a guy who is just a capable NFL starter versus a guy who is a franchise Quarterback. If you want me to pull out a post, I made years ago about step-by-step how to tell if somebody is a franchise quarterback, I can do that.

So, if Rudolph is the second coming of the QB gods in PGH, does that mean Tomlin should be fired on the spot this morning for holding him back or did Tomlin do a masterful job of rallying his team to win? Which narrative do we prefer? Quick, before the bottom drops out again.
I’ve said Mike Tomlin should’ve been fired two years ago for his negligence in a lot of things so yes. I thought Mike Thomas should’ve probably been fired after the Jacksonville playoff loss when they decided to keep Keith Butler, but somehow fire Todd Haley. I knew that it would be downhill from there. Then he drives a quarterback with an oppose first round grade. . Then he drives a quarterback with an oppose first round grade, but doesn’t give him a quarterback coach, his first two years in the league. In addition, his offensive coordinators have no NFL experience calling plays, so you don’t even know if there scheme works. my Tolland then goes on to hire some of the worse, assistant coaches, who miss handle draft picks like Kevin Dotson by moving him to an off position from the original one that he was scouted to play. Then him and Kevin Colbert go out and sign Mitch Trubisky. Then they proceeded to have a quarterback, competition and training camp two years ago, in which Mason Rudolph out plays both Mitch and Kenny, but then doesn’t win the starting job. I wanted him fired after Jacksonville but then I really wanted him fired after that. But you’re probably talking to the wrong guy because I don’t go with the Pittsburgh sports narrative.

How many of these are GS ( games started ) vs GP ( games played )??? QB’s can “play in a game due to injury or blowouts or a benching and it will dictate a lot of numbers…..line it up
11 starts
24 starts
46 ( give or take ) starts…..
Try Again. We can manipulate #’s to fit a narrative.

Let’s just get to the heart of the matter. You and the rest of the people who think you know quarterback play think you can evaluate a quarterback, and who he is based on 10 starts. To me that shows me that you don’t know what you’re talking about if you can evaluate a quarterback, and tell me he’s not it based on 10 starts. Well, I do agree that you can probably see that a guy isn’t an NFL quarterback within a game or two. I don’t believe that you can tell what a guys ceiling is if he is an average quarterback until 25 to 34 starts. And I don’t believe that you can say that he’s a franchise quarterback until 51 starts. They are tiers to quarterback play. There is a such thing as having a guy who is just a capable NFL starter versus a guy who is a franchise Quarterback. If you want me to pull out a post, I made years ago about step-by-step how to tell if somebody is a franchise quarterback, I can do that
It's obvious to me that GP is games played. QB1 is Rudolph, QB2 is Pickett and QB3 is Trevor Lawrence. I think if you look at the year by year stats, there was plenty not to like about Lawrence after 2 years and especially after 1. There's a curve to becoming a steady NFL QB, and personally, I think it takes more than three years to know what you have in a young QB. They're still learning the position. But coaches don't have that luxury and fans don't have the patience to allow a QB to develop. I haven't really weighed in on the whole Pickett discussion. We'll see what he becomes. I was just really surprised to see the QBR for all of them was so close and wanted to get others' opinion.

Reactions: pittmeister
It's obvious to me that GP is games played. QB1 is Rudolph, QB2 is Pickett and QB3 is Trevor Lawrence. I think if you look at the year by year stats, there was plenty not to like about Lawrence after 2 years and especially after 1. There's a curve to becoming a steady NFL QB, and personally, I think it takes more than three years to know what you have in a young QB. They're still learning the position. But coaches don't have that luxury and fans don't have the patience to allow a QB to develop. I haven't really weighed in on the whole Pickett discussion. We'll see what he becomes. I was just really surprised to see the QBR for all of them was so close and wanted to get others' opinion.
Hmm. Ok. I agree. So your NOT a guy who like the rest of yinzer nation writes off a qb after 10 starts?? Or says 8 starts is giving him a chance?? Well said then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT