ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett Steelers divorce

Here we go again letting the Steelers hijack the message board again with Pitt's spring game 2 days away. The people who blame Kenny will not listen to logic, reasoning, or acknowledge context clues. We've argued about on like 4-5 separate threads to the same conclusions. One thing that can't be argued is the media took every swing possible at chopping Kenny's character down. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that members of national and local media tried like hell to make this man look like the biggest jerk in NFL history isn't being honest or objective. Anyone unbias person can admit the way Kenny's name was dragged through the mud was excessive, targeted, and malicious. Are the clowns on here talking about "poor little Kenny" what if that was your son, or your nephew, or just your friend. I'm glad Kenny is a strong person because I don't give a 💩 what people say...words hurt. Even when you're a millionaire.

He must have feared Tommy devito more than lil kenny
No he didn't fear devito. Dabol wouldn't offer him the starting job. This is the only reason he didn't go to New York.

The Steelers gave KP the prestige of being a first round pick.
They anointed him their starting QB.
They made him a multi millionaire!

After 2 years, it didn't work out. KP is still a first round pick and a multi millionaire.
If he's good enough, he'll be a starting QB again somewhere else.

Time will tell what his career will ultimately look like.
He could have been better here, and then this sad situation would have been totally unnecessary.
The Pittsburgh Media are mostly low IQ shock Jocks who always go for the low hanging fruit to gain attention. Paying attention to them or valuing their opinions is a worthless exercise.

Actually, one of the three guys you sited as wanting Wilson as the starter absolutely defended him.
terrell owens images GIF

where were the receivers in all of this?

As Tomlin says, "I’ll admit it: I didn’t treat everybody equally. Sometimes I enforced the rules subjectively."
oh wait...that was Bill Cowher.

Maybe it was, “I treat everyone the same – differently.”
ohh wait...that was Jimmy Johnson.

I got it. Tomlin said this "I have no interest in being consistent. That's not what my objective is. My objective is to be right, and to have it turn out right — first for the Dallas Cowboys and secondly sometimes, hopefully, for the individual involved."
or was the Bill Parcells?

But Tomlin definitely said, "I need to treat everybody fairly, but fair doesn't always mean equal."
Nope, I was wrong. That was Tony Dungy.

Well anyway, what do any of them know about coaching?
I know you think those quotes helped you make your point but they didn't. Tomlin(for example ) is a double standard coach. That destroys think inner fabric of any team. You think players should be able to get away with things that others get fined for? I am all for equity over equality, but flat out fining or disciplining one player for things that other players get a pass for sends a terrible message and is toxic. In fact I followed the Steelers football back when I was a fan well enough to know Tomlin wasn't always like this. I remember Super Bowl 43 hero Santonio Holmes was sent packing after he got caught a second time smoking the magic dragon. Tomlin used to actually be a "the standard is the standard" coach who practiced what he preached and held everyone accountable equally. He doesn't anymore. I don't know why, but I think it makes him look bad and it's part of the reason guys like Bell, Bryant, Brown, Blunt, Gordon, Johnson, just to name a few felt comfortable undermining his authority and creating the spectacles they have over the last 10 or so seasons.

Reactions: boseman7
held everyone accountable equally. He doesn't anymore. I don't know why
I can only say the obvious. In today's society holding people accountable is difficult. Many of us had high school coaches who we really liked and respected, but they would be fired or in jail for their actions if they coached the same way today. In schools, at work, our government, most places, influential people are not to be held accountable. Sad but true, the noble are attacked from every angle if justice is dealt fairly, IMHO

Reactions: FireballZ
I know you think those quotes helped you make your point but they didn't. Tomlin(for example ) is a double standard coach. That destroys think inner fabric of any team. You think players should be able to get away with things that others get fined for? I am all for equity over equality, but flat out fining or disciplining one player for things that other players get a pass for sends a terrible message and is toxic. In fact I followed the Steelers football back when I was a fan well enough to know Tomlin wasn't always like this. I remember Super Bowl 43 hero Santonio Holmes was sent packing after he got caught a second time smoking the magic dragon. Tomlin used to actually be a "the standard is the standard" coach who practiced what he preached and held everyone accountable equally. He doesn't anymore. I don't know why, but I think it makes him look bad and it's part of the reason guys like Bell, Bryant, Brown, Blunt, Gordon, Johnson, just to name a few felt comfortable undermining his authority and creating the spectacles they have over the last 10 or so seasons.
Santonio Holmes was not sent packing for smoking pot. He was traded because a woman filed a battery and assault lawsuit over an incident in a night club. This was his 2nd such offense after he was arrested for domestic assault a few years earlier. Big Ben also received his 2nd accusation of sexual assault that year, so the Steelers had a major violence against women problem.

Holmes got traded 2 weeks after the lawsuit was filed but Ben remained while being paid the largest contract in team history. Please, tell me again how everyone was treated equally by Tomlin early in his career.

Reactions: boseman7
Probably in the nursery playing with the toys.
If you are pro-Pickett, you have about three arguments with his time on the Steelers. (1) His OC sucked; (2) his OL had a ton of "look out" blocks; and (3) he had an incredibly inconsistent group of WRs.

To the third point and your point (I believe), I do not think citing WRs not defending or ever having issues with Pickett is a positive argument to say he had any issues as a leader or with the team.

His WRs were a group of guys that the Steelers have went out of their way to get rid of (they dumped Claypool for value ASAP, they gave away Johnson really, they did not resign Robinson and cut Gunner), except for Pickens who is one of the most talented players you will ever see but somehow was a second round pick.

I would guess that Pickett could have handled some stuff better this offseason but the assassination by some in the Pittsburgh media of his character is puzzling and feels more like a set of vendettas than anything else. Interestingly, others have reported that the Steeler organization openly admits that they do not put him in a great position to succeed even though they decided to move in another direction.

That's laughable. The Steelers had one of the most prolific offenses for years and didn't win 💩. Mediocre Mike has been greatly outperformed by his arch nemesis John Harbaugh. By the way they got Lamar at the end of the first round so spare me the he couldn't get a good QB. They traded up to the 10th pic to get Devin Bush🤣🤣🤣🤣. Y'all crack me up man for real. I get it Mike Tomlin is a nice guy. I heard him share his story at a religious event. I respect him as a person, but don't respect him as a leader. Any leader who has different rules for different players instantly loses credibility for me.

“outperformed”…Ravens have lost 7 out of 8 to the Steelers in this “down period”. And that’s despite getting lucky and getting their QB late in the first round.

Overall? Maybe in a short sample with selective endpoints. But the Rats still haven’t had any playoff success recently.

Regarding the last part for sure being antsy in the pocket was a problem earlier in his career at Pitt. But that also was when he didn’t have the talent to throw to and the Ol was a mess.

My point is qbs look overmatched and anxious when they can’t trust their OL and get earholed frequently. What’s intersting is that when the game was on the line he had the composure to hang in there and didn’t look over matched. It may also have been when they (Tomlin and Canada) took the training wheels off and allowed him to be more aggressive. Bens stats were significantly better in the fourth quarter as well indicating a trend

I don’t think he can be a “franchise” qb who can carry a team like Ben (those are few and far between) I do think he can win championships if he has the talent around him I think he can be a cousins type qb But we’ll have to wait to find out

I also think Canada was a huge wet blanket on his performance. He improved significantly in the first game without him and was playing well in the arizona game

Small sample size for sure but combined with his late game performance it indicates there is some upside

I agree with most of this. It’s both. He struggled, but there were a lot of variables and hardly a perfect situation.

It’s why it’s a divisive topic. There are still signs that he can be competent in the league. Nothing I wanted more than for him to be a franchise QB for the Steelers. But also the production was what it was.

So I don’t hate taking a swing, and I don’t think KP was wronged outside of just being a tough business sometimes. If they went in with Mason and KP and went 10-7 with a wild card loss, then the Tomlin haters back out.

If you are pro-Pickett, you have about three arguments with his time on the Steelers. (1) His OC sucked; (2) his OL had a ton of "look out" blocks; and (3) he had an incredibly inconsistent group of WRs.

To the third point and your point (I believe), I do not think citing WRs not defending or ever having issues with Pickett is a positive argument to say he had any issues as a leader or with the team.

His WRs were a group of guys that the Steelers have went out of their way to get rid of (they dumped Claypool for value ASAP, they gave away Johnson really, they did not resign Robinson and cut Gunner), except for Pickens who is one of the most talented players you will ever see but somehow was a second round pick.

I would guess that Pickett could have handled some stuff better this offseason but the assassination by some in the Pittsburgh media of his character is puzzling and feels more like a set of vendettas than anything else. Interestingly, others have reported that the Steeler organization openly admits that they do not put him in a great position to succeed even though they decided to move in another direction.

Link some big Pgh media folks who are “assassinating his character”. I am plugged in daily to that and I just don’t see it. Saying that he “asked to be traded” or “didn’t want to try to overtake Wilson” isn’t assassinating his character.

Maybe some people filled in their own blanks in the Seattle no dress drama. Bit I didn’t see him talked down on much in this situation, outside of just reporting he would rather be out

Bottom line. Pitt put a rookie QB (and also a veteran who isn't good) behind a developing turnstyle OL, coached by a first time OC, throwing to diva bitch WRs who took plays off, and a starting RB who hasn't matched his hype and has battled an injury. Compare that to what they have now. A more experienced and improved (assuming) OL, an OC who has been in the NFL for more than a minute and and been an OC and HC, and likely an improved attitude for the WRs now that the head Clown was sent packing.

It would be easier to evaluate Pickett if he was brought in under the current circumstances, instead of trying to make a dumpster fire successful.

Link some big Pgh media folks who are “assassinating his character”. I am plugged in daily to that and I just don’t see it. Saying that he “asked to be traded” or “didn’t want to try to overtake Wilson” isn’t assassinating his character.

Maybe some people filled in their own blanks in the Seattle no dress drama. Bit I didn’t see him talked down on much in this situation, outside of just reporting he would rather be out
Benz and fat boy for starters

Santonio Holmes was not sent packing for smoking pot. He was traded because a woman filed a battery and assault lawsuit over an incident in a night club. This was his 2nd such offense after he was arrested for domestic assault a few years earlier. Big Ben also received his 2nd accusation of sexual assault that year, so the Steelers had a major violence against women problem.

Holmes got traded 2 weeks after the lawsuit was filed but Ben remained while being paid the largest contract in team history. Please, tell me again how everyone was treated equally by Tomlin early in his career.
Holmes won't make his Jets regular-season debut until Week 5 of the regular season after the NFL suspended him earlier in the day without pay for the first four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"We understood that was part of it, but we just felt like even with that, it was worth it," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "Obviously, a guy with his production and at 26 years old, he would not have been available if these indiscretions didn't happen, and obviously the suspension"

Some people think they knew w every F'ing thing 🤣🤣🤣💩dummy.

How about this…..https://triblive.com/sports/mark-maddens-hot-take-kenny-pickett-failed-and-got-what-he-deserved/

Where was he supposed to compete? There would have been ZERO competition once wilson signed. Just like there will be no competition between wilson and fields. Why exactly did wilson sign here and not the New York Giants?
Because he compared Pickett to Jones and thought it would be easier to beat out Kenny. It’s pretty simple.

Because he compared Pickett to Jones and thought it would be easier to beat out Kenny. It’s pretty simple.
Apparently he didn't have to "beat out" anyone. In what world does the incumbent not have a chance to start from "Pole" position? That would be like your boss hiring someone to compete with you for your job then telling they have the inside track over you who have been there 2 years. If he is better than you it will show, but to give him Pole position "even though we've been told numerous times there was not going to be a competition". If they thought it should be a competition it should have been a clear open competition not the brand new dude getting placed in the 1 spot automatically. Either way they made it clear Kenny had an uphill battle to get his job back. Tomlin talked out of both sides of his neck. Just be honest with people and if they can't handle the truth that is there fault but constantly lying or telling half truth and saying things like "well technically" are poor habits. No e of you would work for a boss like that.

I’m done with the KP aspect of the story . Good luck to him in his new backup role . He’ll make plenty of money holding a clipboard .
If there’s any truth to the story the guy I feel for is Mason Rudolph, who should’ve been the player in the “pole position “.

Holmes won't make his Jets regular-season debut until Week 5 of the regular season after the NFL suspended him earlier in the day without pay for the first four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"We understood that was part of it, but we just felt like even with that, it was worth it," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "Obviously, a guy with his production and at 26 years old, he would not have been available if these indiscretions didn't happen, and obviously the suspension"

Some people think they knew w every F'ing thing 🤣🤣🤣💩dummy.
The Steelers don't care about marijuana infractions. Look at Martavis Bryant, he got suspended for 4 games then an entire season the next year for marijuana. The Steelers kept him for another season even while he was skipping meetings and publicly asking to be traded.

On the other hand, Chris Rainey was charged with a domestic violence battery and got released the day the charges were filed in 2013.

Cedrick Wilson was charged with a domestic violence-related complaint in in 2008 and released the next day, a few weeks after James Harrison was also charged with something similar (Harrison was not kicked off the team as we all know).

Maybe the suspension broke the camel's back, but the Steelers aren't getting rid of an MVP for some weed.

Might want to check your electrical outlet, don't think it is working. Read anything by Steeler "insider" Dulac. And then the usual cast of characters; Madden, Yohe, Mueller. And the fringe guys like nitters Hagman and Adamski. You can't really be that blind to the local media can you?

The Steelers don't care about marijuana infractions. Look at Martavis Bryant, he got suspended for 4 games then an entire season the next year for marijuana. The Steelers kept him for another season even while he was skipping meetings and publicly asking to be traded.

On the other hand, Chris Rainey was charged with a domestic violence battery and got released the day the charges were filed in 2013.

Cedrick Wilson was charged with a domestic violence-related complaint in in 2008 and released the next day, a few weeks after James Harrison was also charged with something similar (Harrison was not kicked off the team as we all know).

Maybe the suspension broke the camel's back, but the Steelers aren't getting rid of an MVP for some weed.
Did ya read the article I posted at all. It literally spells out for you the reason he was traded and a direct quote from the GM that traded for him. Try to keep up Skippy.

They try really really hard to look the other way for star players …. how surprising. So does every other team .

Apparently he didn't have to "beat out" anyone. In what world does the incumbent not have a chance to start from "Pole" position? That would be like your boss hiring someone to compete with you for your job then telling they have the inside track over you who have been there 2 years. If he is better than you it will show, but to give him Pole position "even though we've been told numerous times there was not going to be a competition". If they thought it should be a competition it should have been a clear open competition not the brand new dude getting placed in the 1 spot automatically. Either way they made it clear Kenny had an uphill battle to get his job back. Tomlin talked out of both sides of his neck. Just be honest with people and if they can't handle the truth that is there fault but constantly lying or telling half truth and saying things like "well technically" are poor habits. No e of you would work for a boss like that.
I really don’t have a problem with tomlin and the Steelers guaranteeing him the position. Their job is on the line so they can do anything they want I really don’t have a problem not being straight up witb KP. They clearly decided he wasn’t the answer and decided to move on

My issue is with the yinzers and the media trashing KP for not wanting to play second fiddle when it was clear the organization soured on him In fact it appears they preferred fields to compete with Wilson so KP did them a favor It’s funny how the same follks who said he was a bust are butt hurt that he decided he wanted to play for another team

Finally IF the Steelers fed the media the bullshit rumors then that is pretty shitty

Might want to check your electrical outlet, don't think it is working. Read anything by Steeler "insider" Dulac. And then the usual cast of characters; Madden, Yohe, Mueller. And the fringe guys like nitters Hagman and Adamski. You can't really be that blind to the local media can you?

I think Dulac did misreport Seattle. Fair. I haven’t heard him crush him on this situation. Madden is a moron. I do listen to Mueller and haven’t heard it. The other guys are definitely B list type guys.

My point is I’m sure you can find more on twitter especially as you go off mainstream. But it just hasn’t been that prevalent on local news and the Fan.

I think Dulac did misreport Seattle. Fair. I haven’t heard him crush him on this situation. Madden is a moron. I do listen to Mueller and haven’t heard it. The other guys are definitely B list type guys.

My point is I’m sure you can find more on twitter especially as you go off mainstream. But it just hasn’t been that prevalent on local news and the Fan.

check out some of Dulac's chats

Gerry Dulac: Kenny Pickett said himself it was "time to move on." He wanted out. Not a good decision, not a good attitude. Did it to himself. Dumb

Gerry Dulac: Don't blame them for Pickett. His departure was all about him and his unprofessional attitude. As for Rudolph, he developed over five years. Fair to say their failure to believe in that was on them

Adamski is the Steelers beat writer for the Trib. Not a fringe guy, but a huge nitter like Dulac. I could post some of his stuff too.

Do you live in Omaha? Which local are you referring to?

Just throwing this out there . Pitt tells its heir apparent QB that he’s the man next yr and then bring in a far more accomplished Qb in the portal , are all of you bad mouthing the Steelers badmouthing the Panthers ?

Teams and businesses at every level need to do what they think is best for their organization and if hurts someone’s feelings that’s just too bad .

Just throwing this out there . Pitt tells its heir apparent QB that he’s the man next yr and then bring in a far more accomplished Qb in the portal , are all of you bad mouthing the Steelers badmouthing the Panthers ?

Teams and businesses at every level need to do what they think is best for their organization and if hurts someone’s feelings that’s just too bad .

Apples to Oranges comparison, but I have a strong feeling Pitt wouldn't leak to the media that Yarnell was a bad teammate, had a bad attitude, etc.

You still can't see why Pickens was a 2nd round pick despite his talent when he decides he wants to play any given week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT