ADVERTISEMENT

OT Steelers Game thread

Only someone who is clueless and a total Tomlin suck up would defend that stupid call.
What made it a stupid call was the distance required for the first down. 4th and 5 is forever in Pro football, especially when you choose to run up the gut. That they came up only a half a yard short is amazing. The field position also made it amazing they tried it, but I suppose that was part of the strategy, no one would expect it!

In the long run it didn't matter. Either way, fake or punt, everyone with a pulse who's been paying attention KNEW the Steelers D would not stop the Saints. Even Tomlin knew this and that's why he took the huge gamble. The D tried their best, and made some good plays, but the refs homered them big time in the beginning and at the end.

Of course the Saints converted two 4th and forever plays late in the game, but that was against Bradley's backfield and was aided by the NFL officials.

Tough loss for sure, feel really bad for JuJu, one of the true good guys.

What made it a stupid call was the distance required for the first down. 4th and 5 is forever in Pro football, especially when you choose to run up the gut. That they came up only a half a yard short is amazing. The field position also made it amazing they tried it, but I suppose that was part of the strategy, no one would expect it!

In the long run it didn't matter. Either way, fake or punt, everyone with a pulse who's been paying attention KNEW the Steelers D would not stop the Saints. Even Tomlin knew this and that's why he took the huge gamble. The D tried their best, and made some good plays, but the refs homered them big time in the beginning and at the end.

Of course the Saints converted two 4th and forever plays late in the game, but that was against Bradley's backfield and was aided by the NFL officials.

It was a stupid call

I like Tomlin and he’s coming back it’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

But people in this town don’t give s flying f at the moon about being above 500....

This yr was Shit and it’s on Tomlin.
He better straighten up with the way he’s coached since his GB SB....and do it quickly

I personally like the fake punt call, just came up 1/2 yard short.

In a nutshell: Steelers are not good, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs, especially after losing to Oakland. For next year, offense needs only very minor tweaking, defense: major overhaul including the DC and position coaches.

It was a stupid call

I like Tomlin and he’s coming back it’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

But people in this town don’t give s flying f at the moon about being above 500....

This yr was Shit and it’s on Tomlin.
He better straighten up with the way he’s coached since his GB SB....and do it quickly
IDK, if the kicker doesn't have his head up his a$$, last night's game doesn't matter.

It's all about the playoffs. If they get in, who knows? If not, it's their own fault.

Leveon soap opera and the Steelers playing hard ball also screwed them. That money could have solved a lot of their problems at LB'er and defensive backfield.

Conner's frailty also hurt them.

Butler has to go, take Bradley with him. The defense is totally unreliable.

Tomlin needs to get with it as well. Needs help from people in the booth about challenges. Not watching these plays in slow motion and making a decision is just plain stupid and pig headed.

Brown and Ben were clicking last night, JuJu playing hurt also had a good night until the last play. Just a tough tough loss.

I'm on the Rams bandwagon now. Aaron Donald is my man from here on out.

As your friend Paul would say...that’s a bingo. Well said.

The distance point you made on 4th down is probably what looms largest to me. I haven’t seen anyone else make that point. But I’m still not going to rip him for that one call though, as the last 6 seasons should be looked at cumulatively when evaluating him. It scares me to say this, as I’m thinking just like Coach T...but giving brees a long field in the two minute drill is a kiss of death. I was ok because I figured giving brees a short field gives Tomlin the chance of putting the ball in his offenses hands at the end of the game.

It was a GREAT game. The last two weeks were awesome entertainment. A 1-1 split of those two games is acceptable. But going 0-3 prior to that was unacceptable. The Steelers need to evaluate and fix this problem. Losing those types of games has been all too common.

So Narduzzi time to go?

First I will say that it is absurd for anyone to talk about Tomlin getting fired. Not only is he NOT going to get fired, he doesn't deserve to at this point either.

But that doesn't mean he is above approach for changes to his staff and how he is running things.

He needs changes to the coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball for one. For two, he needs to be FORCED to hire a Quality Control/Replay Review coach. Freaking Bill Belichick the best coach in league history has one. The Steelers have effed up the clock mgmt and replay reviews way too often in his tenure. It needs addressed.

First I will say that it is absurd for anyone to talk about Tomlin getting fired. Not only is he NOT going to get fired, he doesn't deserve to at this point either.

But that doesn't mean he is above approach for changes to his staff and how he is running things.

He needs changes to the coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball for one. For two, he needs to be FORCED to hire a Quality Control/Replay Review coach. Freaking Bill Belichick the best coach in league history has one. The Steelers have effed up the clock mgmt and replay reviews way too often in his tenure. It needs addressed.
I’m only pointing out that plenty here applauded Narduzzi in a far worse position with less to gain.

I truly didn’t mind the fake - because I can always appreciate playing to win.

And end result- stillers had the ball with plenty of time in saints territory to win.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I’m only pointing out that plenty here applauded Narduzzi in a far worse position with less to gain.

I truly didn’t mind the fake - because I can always appreciate playing to win.

And end result- stillers had the ball with plenty of time in saints territory to win.

I hated the call because at that point the Defense was playing well in the 2nd half. I would rather of made New Orleans drive the whole field.

But I will give Tomlin credit for using his TO's once New Orleans was destined to score giving the Offense a chance to tie it until JuJu's fumble. In the past, he would have let NO's drain the clock.

As for the comparison to Narduzzi... I am not really going to get into that other than to say it is Apples to Oranges comparison overall. Sure you can point to Narduzzi's fake punt call but there is much more that goes into a decision to fire a coach than fake punt calls.

Another bingo!

I have never advocated firing Tomlin, although it’s probably more fashionable to say so now than ever. But I would not be upset if it happened. But if you do, you BETTER upgrade, or you’ll end up with Iron Mike H, Todd Graham, or Kevin Stallings. But it’s not going to happen and nor should it.

Change HAS to be made though. The Steelers need to self reflect in a serious, serious way. My problem with the Steelers is that too often it seems that they have an arrogance and want to do it their own way instead of cherry picking what other successful teams do. An example of this is tagging Bell instead of going with the New England (and Philly) blueprint from the previous Super Bowl. The committee approach to the RB position was needed but they chose to tie up all that money with one injury prone weed head. This season is about more than missed FGs and bad luck with officiating. If that’s their mindset, they won’t improve.

One thing I’d do is consult with a guy like Cowher. The guy wasn’t a great post season coach, but he often had home playoff games because he got it done in the regular season. He seemingly always won the games he was supposed to and split the others. His process in the week leading up to lesser teams needs to be emulated—whatever it is. If I’m Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin, I’d put the arrogance aside and copy the way others do things.

I hated the call because at that point the Defense was playing well in the 2nd half. I would rather of made New Orleans drive the whole field.

But I will give Tomlin credit for using his TO's once New Orleans was destined to score giving the Offense a chance to tie it until JuJu's fumble. In the past, he would have let NO's drain the clock.

As for the comparison to Narduzzi... I am not really going to get into that other than to say it is Apples to Oranges comparison overall. Sure you can point to Narduzzi's fake punt call but there is much more that goes into a decision to fire a coach than fake punt calls.

I don’t mind the agressive nature of the fake Punt but it was inconsistent with how the played the series before. They were rolling on offense and went conservative in the play calling. Also if you want to be agressive in that situation. Putting Ben and the offense out there to pick up 5 yards had a far better chance of working than running Nix up the middle in punt formation.

Reactions: CCHS82
I don’t mind the agressive nature of the fake Punt but it was inconsistent with how the played the series before. They were rolling on offense and went conservative in the play calling. Also if you want to be agressive in that situation. Putting Ben and the offense out there to pick up 5 yards had a far better chance of working than running Nix up the middle in punt formation.
Tomlin and Ben...still think it's 1955...when they have the lead late in the game, they insist on trying to milk the clock instead of trying to score. They should have recognized that so long as NO was within 7, they needed to score....keep the peddle down.

I think this was the last straw

I don't think so! It should be but it won't be Tomlin gets one everytime he goes to McDonalds for a Happy Meal!
800px_COLOURBOX2270046.jpg

IDK, if the kicker doesn't have his head up his a$$, last night's game doesn't matter.

It's all about the playoffs. If they get in, who knows? If not, it's their own fault.

Leveon soap opera and the Steelers playing hard ball also screwed them. That money could have solved a lot of their problems at LB'er and defensive backfield.

Conner's frailty also hurt them.

Butler has to go, take Bradley with him. The defense is totally unreliable.

Tomlin needs to get with it as well. Needs help from people in the booth about challenges. Not watching these plays in slow motion and making a decision is just plain stupid and pig headed.

Brown and Ben were clicking last night, JuJu playing hurt also had a good night until the last play. Just a tough tough loss.

I'm on the Rams bandwagon now. Aaron Donald is my man from here on out.
They played like shit during that losing streak
SOT

Undisciplined and unprepared against dog dirt teams

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Tomlin and Ben...still think it's 1955...when they have the lead late in the game, they insist on trying to milk the clock instead of trying to score. They should have recognized that so long as NO was within 7, they needed to score....keep the peddle down.
It's not 1955 ??? Darn time flies!
When did all that happen no one told me!

Reactions: Delpanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT