ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Summer vacation--where are you headed?

Pine Knoll Shores, NC the 2nd week of August. It's a barrier Island below OBX where the NC coast turns in and the Island is oriented more East/West.....so instead of having the sun rise in front of you, it comes up to your left because you're facing South.......It's disorienting at first. Great area.....Beaufort NC is a fantastic little town water front town.
Typically stay in Emerald, were there last summer. Best strip of beach in NC. We usually extend a few extra days before or after our rental. Enjoy taking the ferry from Beaufort over to Cape Lookout for a day trip, or the ferry at Hammocks Beach State Park over to Bear Island.

If you’re from Pittsburgh and enjoy the beach nothing can beat Myrtle. Jump on a flight and an hour and a half later you’re at the beach. I not a fan of the beach. Nothing exciting about baking in the sun watching water move back and forth but my wife loves it and my son somewhat is into it and I can tolerate the hotel beachfront pool/bar. I guess if I have to hit a beach the flight is around $170 each and it’s only 2 1/2 from leaving my house that makes it tolerable.

Do you do much boating in New Zealand?
Haha. You know what they say about boats. I own 1/2 of one. It sits not entirely seaworthy in my mate's driveway. It's only a 14 footer, and we aren't competent enough to try to take it anywhere too adventurous. (We know guys who take that size boat out into the ocean and we both think they're knucking futs.) We have had it out in Otago Harbour, and in some of the glacial lakes of the south island. The main intention was to get to some fishing spots that are inaccessible by land and to do some lake trolling. But we're both so busy with work and hockey that the upkeep of the boat gets put off. And we are both keenly aware that unless everything is in optimal working order, too dangerous to take her out.

Weather and conditions change rapidly here, and the places we would typically go are not within cell coverage, so pretty much on your own out there, with a GPS beacon helpful in ensuring only that your body gets recovered.

We had an electrical issue a while back while out in the local harbour. Unexpected wind kicked up some waves and the bilge pump wasn't functioning with the electrical failure. Couldn't run the main, with the electrical failure, and really struggled to get the pull start back-up going. We were getting blown to nowhere very quickly with waves coming over. We were within mobile coverage, and I was a few minutes away from calling the Coast Guard. Got the back up started and fought the wind like crazy to get back in. We didn't die, and I don't think we were even that close to that, but it shook us both up that without having time to keep it in top shape, we don't care to accumulate any more interesting stories.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Weddings are the worst these days. They were fun as hell when I was a kid sneaking alcohol at the local fire hall, but those days are long gone. I only agreed to marry my wife if we did it privately on our own. I couldn't ask my family to mount up and travel to go to my wedding, knowing that is honestly a school semester's worth of money down the drain. It is out of control, and young people pay the price.

Yes. I hate weddings at hotels and Country Clubs. I am not going to tell people how to spend their money, but those types of weddings make me laugh. I sit there and think " dude your dad makes $75k with 2 more daughters and you 2 dipsh*ts make less than $50k, why you spending $50k on this."

I much prefer old style Fire Hall/VFW Hall weddings. People seem way more relaxed and less pretentious, and let loose and enjoy them more. The problem is they are rarer and rarer these days.

Yes. I hate weddings at hotels and Country Clubs. I am not going to tell people how to spend their money, but those types of weddings make me laugh. I sit there and think " dude your dad makes $75k with 2 more daughters and you 2 dipsh*ts make less than $50k, why you spending $50k on this."

I much prefer old style Fire Hall/VFW Hall weddings. People seem way more relaxed and less pretentious, and let loose and enjoy them more. The problem is they are rarer and rarer these days.
Yeah....I mean we parrot our nation right? Debt is meaningless to us. It is way too much trying to one up your neighbors and the spoiled kids. Much of this because of social media.

Reactions: Mikefln
Haha. You know what they say about boats. I own 1/2 of one. It sits not entirely seaworthy in my mate's driveway. It's only a 14 footer, and we aren't competent enough to try to take it anywhere too adventurous. (We know guys who take that size boat out into the ocean and we both think they're knucking futs.) We have had it out in Otago Harbour, and in some of the glacial lakes of the south island. The main intention was to get to some fishing spots that are inaccessible by land and to do some lake trolling. But we're both so busy with work and hockey that the upkeep of the boat gets put off. And we are both keenly aware that unless everything is in optimal working order, too dangerous to take her out.

Weather and conditions change rapidly here, and the places we would typically go are not within cell coverage, so pretty much on your own out there, with a GPS beacon helpful in ensuring only that your body gets recovered.

We had an electrical issue a while back while out in the local harbour. Unexpected wind kicked up some waves and the bilge pump wasn't functioning with the electrical failure. Couldn't run the main, with the electrical failure, and really struggled to get the pull start back-up going. We were getting blown to nowhere very quickly with waves coming over. We were within mobile coverage, and I was a few minutes away from calling the Coast Guard. Got the back up started and fought the wind like crazy to get back in. We didn't die, and I don't think we were even that close to that, but it shook us both up that without having time to keep it in top shape, we don't care to accumulate any more interesting stories.
I had a talk with someone in the boating business in NZ today. Seems to be getting back to normal.

I agree with you, I wouldn’t take a boat out very far without knowing everything was perfect. You have some guts, but that experience must be the reason that boat is stuck in the driveway. You need to make friends with someone with a better boat. :)

Reactions: USN_Panther
Bend Oregon in August. Beautiful high desert on the eastern side of the cascades. Kiawha Island in late October. Going to bust open the cookie jar for 4 nights at the Sanctuary.

Bend Oregon in August. Beautiful high desert on the eastern side of the cascades. Kiawha Island in late October. Going to bust open the cookie jar for 4 nights at the Sanctuary.

You can rent some movies at the last blockbuster!

... and bring them back 3 days late and owe $43!

Reactions: bayardstreet
Weddings are the worst these days. They were fun as hell when I was a kid sneaking alcohol at the local fire hall, but those days are long gone. I only agreed to marry my wife if we did it privately on our own. I couldn't ask my family to mount up and travel to go to my wedding, knowing that is honestly a school semester's worth of money down the drain. It is out of control, and young people pay the price.

I'm at the stage in life where we are now going to the weddings of kids for friends who we were at their weddings not that long ago, lol. A lot has changed in 20+ years. Don't mean to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but weddings seem a lot different now. For one thing, three of the ones I went to were totally secular. They actually had their friends "officiate" the service. So that was kind of different and I guess a reflection of the overall lack of religion in society today.

Second was the music...no chicken dance, hokey pokey, or even any line dances. Not really any slow songs either. They all seemed like it was an extension of the frat party. Loud dance music from beginning to end. Also no garter toss.

Just my observations, not passing judgement. Hard not to have fun at an open bar carousing with friends and family so I did enjoy myself. By I think much of the spectacle is now created with Insta in mind.

I notice no international travel mentioned, seems like most are keeping it domestic which is probably wise at least for the remainder of the year. Still considering knoxville for our vacation but I think I may have waited too long to book anything.

Last edited:
EVERYTHING now seems like people are aiming for the SEEN/SOCIETY section of the local paper INSTAGRAM. From grad parties to communion, they all have to be these catered affairs at fancy social halls and banquet facilities. Gone are the garage/backyard parties with the Western Pa staples of bad rigatoni, soggy fried chicken, stuffed cabbage and potato salad along with a couple of kegs of IC Light.

I modernized your post for you 😁

Newport Beach the last week in August for the 17th time in the last 19 years. I may not be much but I definitely am consistent.

I notice no international travel mentioned, seems like most are keeping it domestic which is probably wise at least for the remainder of the year. Still considering knoxville for our vacation but I think I may have waited too long to book anything.
I just started considering Europe since flights are fairly cheap. That, and rental cars are so outrageous here. Wanted to go out west again. We like to fly into one city, hit the road and see stuff, and fly home from another. Can't find a comfortable rental for the family under $2k.... That's nuts.

I just started considering Europe since flights are fairly cheap. That, and rental cars are so outrageous here. Wanted to go out west again. We like to fly into one city, hit the road and see stuff, and fly home from another. Can't find a comfortable rental for the family under $2k.... That's nuts.
Try China. Great prices there

I will go to the last block buster video store in Bend. I have driven past it before on a previous trip out there to see relatives. I might have to go to the Deschutes Brewery first for the free tour and samples. That should make for a great afternoon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT