ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Acolyte

Actually, I predicted it first! :cool:

But that's like predicting that the Pirates will stink.
Well I’m sure we all saw it the moment Kennedy put Harvey Weinstein’s personal assistant in charge of something like this.

What they honestly should do is to do what they did with Willow, and pull it from Disney+ and pretend that it never existed.

Which reminds me…Willow…another absolute complete failure for Kennedy and Lucasfilm.

Helps when your majority stockholders are black rock and vanguard. They know the outcome, this isn’t an accident.
Yeah I don’t get it. Just about every Disney project over the last couple of years has bombed. Avatar didn’t bomb but that was something through acquisition and not something they developed and produced. Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t bomb as another example. But just about everything else lost money. And Disney+ has lost billions. As major holders in the company, you’d think Vanguard and BlackRock would want to see performance and profitability? Is Kathleen Kennedy paid based on performance or is she making money for meeting other benchmarks we don’t see? I would love for someone to craft an argument as to how her leadership has been good.

Yeah I don’t get it. Just about every Disney project over the last couple of years has bombed. Avatar didn’t bomb but that was something through acquisition and not something they developed and produced. Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t bomb as another example. But just about everything else lost money. And Disney+ has lost billions. As major holders in the company, you’d think Vanguard and BlackRock would want to see performance and profitability? Is Kathleen Kennedy paid based on performance or is she making money for meeting other benchmarks we don’t see? I would love for someone to craft an argument as to how her leadership has been good.
I know you want to make it a Disney thing, but lots and lots of stuff is bombing right now and it's not just Disney stuff.

I know you want to make it a Disney thing, but lots and lots of stuff is bombing right now and it's not just Disney stuff.
I really don’t though. I’m just asking in the context of this particular issue. Their direct competition in animation (universal) seems to be crushing it right now. That’s from the outside looking in though as I’m not a fan of their IP’s and don’t own stock. A defense for Disney I’ve heard from folks like you is that no one is going to the movies anymore. That’s fine. If theater is dying, why have Universal films performed? Why will Disney’s Deadpool crush it next month (R rated as well)? And if going to the theater is a losing prop these days, why is streaming losing billions? The whole Kennedy thing would compare to Narduzzi trotting out Jurkovic for 4 straight 3-8 seasons. Surely he wouldn’t get an extension and have job security? If that happened would you accept Heather extending him after 4 straight 3-8 seasons and throwing her hands in the air and saying that no one can compete in today’s environment?

To your point, Inside Out 2 (Pixar) and Deadpool & Wolverine (Marvel) will likely rule the summer. Both Disney. Moana 2 is gonna blow up too in the fall.

Inside Out 2 just posted a 13M Thursdau DOM opening. Pixar sequels generally do 10x that Thursday number so likely a 130M~ OW DOM incoming. Early word of mouth is strong.

The "bombs" this summer have been Fall Guy (good time) and Furiosa (loved it). Decidedly not Disney.

Reactions: Ski11585
As you get older....do you find yourself empathetic to the "Empire's" cause?
no but i do side with Michael Douglas moreso in the movie Falling Down. as a teenager watching that, im like "what a psycho." Now, im like "yeah, i get it."

Well I’m sure we all saw it the moment Kennedy put Harvey Weinstein’s personal assistant in charge of something like this.

What they honestly should do is to do what they did with Willow, and pull it from Disney+ and pretend that it never existed.

Which reminds me…Willow…another absolute complete failure for Kennedy and Lucasfilm.

These people are just stupid. And don't forget about Indiana Jones. My God imagine what a person could have done who was actually a GOOD leader at Lucasfilm. Too late now.

These people are just stupid. And don't forget about Indiana Jones. My God imagine what a person could have done who was actually a GOOD leader at Lucasfilm. Too late now.
I didn't like it either but James Mangold is a good creative to choose and he both directed and assisted with the story. Not sure anyone really wanted a 5th Indy film with an 80 year old Ford though. And, it really wasn't all that great. Not to mention Crystal Skull is close to universally disliked. Paid the price a bit for that aging poorly

And who would you blame for Crystal Skull being a misfire? That was a Spielberg/Lucas joint with Ford at least still in his 60s and a long awaited followup to a beloved Last Crusade.

Who do you blame for Fall Guy and Furiosa losing money? They're both decidedly not the type of films you're talking about and have absolutely zero to do with Disney.

I think some here make this far too cut and dry. It's boring when the conversation doesn't include the context of other movies either succeeding or failing that have nothing to with Disney. Disney needs to make better films/series. Period.

Barbie and Across the Spider-verse were huge and have all the symptoms you're railing against. Difference is that they were well made and audiences loved them.

Again, it's just not as simple as some seem to think it is...

There was a post about Dune Part Two being huge... It was certainly a big success. But, yeah, Guardians Vol. 3 grossed considerably more. It released just a year earlier and it's a Disney release.

Last edited:
So who does Kathleen Kennedy have pictures of? As I said over a month ago here, Lesle Hedland does not have one qualification to head a Star Wars show. Not one. She couldn’t even name 5 characters names when she got the gig. So why then did she get the gig? Why did Kennedy hire her?

The only goal for the series was to push social Justice propaganda and show off a diversity quota and highlight the DEI agenda. Who better to do that than Headland? I’m not ripping that agenda or saying anything negative about it. I’m just saying that the agenda is clear. I mean why else hire Hedland? It’s pretty obvious that her LGBTQ activism was what’s most important.

The goal was clear. It was never to tell a good story. It was never to honor George lucas and his IP, and it was never to entertain the audience. And that is why it has an audience score of 28 and it’s the least watched Star Wars show ever.

How does Kennedy keep her job?
All throughout our society....... ...go broke

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was pushed to production by Disney after they acquired 20th Century Fox and, wait for it, it was the most successful blockbuster this summer until now Disney Pixar's Inside Out 2 will take that mantle for the time being.

Was it heroic to blow up a peaceful planet like Alderaan or the Hosnian Prime System killing billions? Lol.
Was Darth Vader wrong for wanting to stop the destruction of the Death Star which consisted of 100’s of thousands loyal empire citizens?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Was Darth Vader wrong for wanting to stop the destruction of the Death Star which consisted of 100’s of thousands loyal empire citizens?
That's like saying was Hitler wrong because 100s of thousands of Nazis would die. The answer's yes. He was wrong.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
So you would want zealots and fanatics from Mos Eisley running the galaxy? Sorry, you need the best people who are trained with law and order. Not DEI Jawas, sand people, and Hoth monsters calling the shots.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was pushed to production by Disney after they acquired 20th Century Fox and, wait for it, it was the most successful blockbuster this summer until now Disney Pixar's Inside Out 2 will take that mantle for the time being.
I think it’s great. If you listen to some people they’ll have you convinced that it’s not possible for movies to succeed these days. Your posts suggest otherwise. So for Kennedy and Lucasfilm there should be no excuses.

I didn't like it either but James Mangold is a good creative to choose and he both directed and assisted with the story. Not sure anyone really wanted a 5th Indy film with an 80 year old Ford though. And, it really wasn't all that great. Not to mention Crystal Skull is close to universally disliked. Paid the price a bit for that aging poorly

And who would you blame for Crystal Skull being a misfire? That was a Spielberg/Lucas joint with Ford at least still in his 60s and a long awaited followup to a beloved Last Crusade.

I would blame George for his stupid alien idea.

Who do you blame for Fall Guy and Furiosa losing money? They're both decidedly not the type of films you're talking about and have absolutely zero to do with Disney.

I blame them for making a "Mad Max" movie without Mad Max.

I think some here make this far too cut and dry. It's boring when the conversation doesn't include the context of other movies either succeeding or failing that have nothing to with Disney. Disney needs to make better films/series. Period.

Barbie and Across the Spider-verse were huge and have all the symptoms you're railing against. Difference is that they were well made and audiences loved them.

Again, it's just not as simple as some seem to think it is...

There was a post about Dune Part Two being huge... It was certainly a big success. But, yeah, Guardians Vol. 3 grossed considerably more. It released just a year earlier and it's a Disney release.

With Star Wars, it pretty clear. Don't mess with what works and give the fans what they are asking for. It reminds me so much of Pitt with dolts like Steve Peterson thinking he knows best and just flat out refused to bring back the Pitt script.

And with Barbie, it was directed by someone who is good at writing and directing and at least one of her previous movies was nominated for best picture. She made sense for that movie. I have zero idea how Disney could have given Leslie Headland $180 million for this tv show? It makes no sense. She is cosplaying. And they also are going to have a director for the new Rey movie who has no experience making movies outside of documentaries. What could possibly go wrong there? There are probably 5000 people with more experience.

Last edited:

With Star Wars, it pretty clear. Don't mess with what works and give the fans what they are asking for. It reminds me so much of Pitt with dolts like Steve Peterson thinking he knows best and just flat out refused to bring back the Pitt script.

And with Barbie, it was directed by someone who is good at writing and directing and at least one of her previous movies was nominated for best picture. She made sense for that movie. I have zero idea how Disney could have given Leslie Headland $180 million for this tv show? It makes no sense. She is cosplaying. And they also are going to have a director for the new Rey movie who has no experience making movies outside of documentaries. What could possibly go wrong there? There are probably 5000 people with more experience.
But like I told @Fk_Pitt, you say don’t mess with what works. But by and large, a lot hasn’t worked. And a lot that was driven by your boy, George.

Who was asking for the terrible politics of the prequel trilogy?

Well that’s the thing. It’s just bad leadership even before movies go into production. As you and Johnny discussed, who asked for a 5th Indy? Why green light that movie? And then why Why spend 300 million to make it and another 300 million to market it? The thing probably lost a half a billion dollars. These are the types of things that get the average person fired, but Kennedy seemingly has carte Blanche. Does she have photos of Iger and Disney Board of Directors on Epstein’s Island?

And on top of it, there are two theatrical movies announced at Lucasfilm. One is a Mando movie that I believe has problems but I can’t think what they are right now. But the other is a Rey movie. Need I say more? Who is asking for that? The numbers showed no one is interested…just as no one asked for Indy. What makes anyone think that a Rey film will make money? The Rey trilogy lost more than 50% of the fandom.

Here’s a theory…it doesn’t matter if the Rey movie makes money or not. Thats not the goal. The goal is to have Rey rebuild the Jedi in her image after Headland destroys everything we know about George’s Jedi. The force right now is lesbian and we have to get it back to simply being female again. And then with Kennedy in charge, maybe headland will get a follow up film to make it lesbian again. It’ll be like space tennis in a galaxy far far away.

Well that’s the thing. It’s just bad leadership even before movies go into production. As you and Johnny discussed, who asked for a 5th Indy? Why green light that movie? And then why Why spend 300 million to make it and another 300 million to market it? The thing probably lost a half a billion dollars. These are the types of things that get the average person fired, but Kennedy seemingly has carte Blanche. Does she have photos of Iger and Disney Board of Directors on Epstein’s Island?

And on top of it, there are two theatrical movies announced at Lucasfilm. One is a Mando movie that I believe has problems but I can’t think what they are right now. But the other is a Rey movie. Need I say more? Who is asking for that? The numbers showed no one is interested…just as no one asked for Indy. What makes anyone think that a Rey film will make money? The Rey trilogy lost more than 50% of the fandom.

Here’s a theory…it doesn’t matter if the Rey movie makes money or not. Thats not the goal. The goal is to have Rey rebuild the Jedi in her image after Headland destroys everything we know about George’s Jedi. The force right now is lesbian and we have to get it back to simply being female again. And then with Kennedy in charge, maybe headland will get a follow up film to make it lesbian again. It’ll be like space tennis in a galaxy far far away.
They lost $143m, including promotion, on Indy 5.

It was awful, just awful.

They lost $143m, including promotion, on Indy 5.

It was awful, just awful.
Actually they lost 300 million and that’s being generous.

People often don’t include the theatrical rentals split and in this case, because they didn’t do much business in China, a 50/50 split is fair to assume. So it made 383 million worldwide and after paying out the theaters it made Disney 192 million dollars.

But hold on…because it was filmed in the UK for tax credit purposes, the Disney lies on production costs eventually come out a year or so later. The filings showed that Disney after receiving its rebates from the UK, lost 159 million on the film.

But hold on again…that doesn’t include marketing costs which typically for a big budget film like a marvel or Star Wars is in the neighborhood of 150 minimum. For Little Mermaid, Disney spent well over 200 million to market. So being conservative in estimating marketing costs, and it’s easy to see that Disney lost 300 million on Indy. And that’s probably low. 325 million is probably a good estimate.

But again, Disney felt like enough people were interested in an 80 year old Indy to make a big budget 5th installment? But really they felt like they’d suck in enough people with Ford, bait and switch and they’d make them care about someone named Phoebe. It didn’t work and Disney now says that Indy is done forever.

But like I told @Fk_Pitt, you say don’t mess with what works. But by and large, a lot hasn’t worked. And a lot that was driven by your boy, George.

Who was asking for the terrible politics of the prequel trilogy?

I don't disagree. But Disney made it worse by an order of magnitude.

Actually they lost 300 million and that’s being generous.

People often don’t include the theatrical rentals split and in this case, because they didn’t do much business in China, a 50/50 split is fair to assume. So it made 383 million worldwide and after paying out the theaters it made Disney 192 million dollars.

But hold on…because it was filmed in the UK for tax credit purposes, the Disney lies on production costs eventually come out a year or so later. The filings showed that Disney after receiving its rebates from the UK, lost 159 million on the film.

But hold on again…that doesn’t include marketing costs which typically for a big budget film like a marvel or Star Wars is in the neighborhood of 150 minimum. For Little Mermaid, Disney spent well over 200 million to market. So being conservative in estimating marketing costs, and it’s easy to see that Disney lost 300 million on Indy. And that’s probably low. 325 million is probably a good estimate.

But again, Disney felt like enough people were interested in an 80 year old Indy to make a big budget 5th installment? But really they felt like they’d suck in enough people with Ford, bait and switch and they’d make them care about someone named Phoebe. It didn’t work and Disney now says that Indy is done forever.
Skull grossed 750? So in fairness to Disney, Lucasfilm and Kennedy, it might not be unreasonable to think Indy 5 would have done that. And if they did they have made a small profit in the neighborhood that Guardians 3 did. So I might give them a bit of slack for green lighting it. But the fact is it didn’t and it’s still an epically bad execution.

I don't disagree. But Disney made it worse by an order of magnitude.
Disagree. But that’s a matter of personal preference. I’ve admittedly not consumed all available SW media, but Attack of the Clones is still the worst SW I’ve seen.

phantom menace and attack of clones were equally painful for me to watch..
I don't know. I'm probably in the minority here, but of the Disney stuff I've seen, it stacks up pretty darn well to what came before. I'd probably rank as follows:

1: Empire
2: Andor
3: A New Hope/Rogue One
4: Return of the Jedi
5: Force Awakens
6: Revenge of the Sith
7: Phantom Menace
8: Last Jedi
9: Attack of the Clones/Rise of Skywalker

I don't know. I'm probably in the minority here, but of the Disney stuff I've seen, it stacks up pretty darn well to what came before. I'd probably rank as follows:

1: Empire
2: Andor
3: A New Hope/Rogue One
4: Return of the Jedi
5: Force Awakens
6: Revenge of the Sith
7: Phantom Menace
8: Last Jedi
9: Attack of the Clones/Rise of Skywalker
im going to probably anger some people on here but return of the jedi is really a bad movie. the ewoks were just silly,

as a kid watching it, yeah cool to see Carrie Fisher in a metal bikini but watching it as an adult, it really doesnt hold up well at all.

Disagree. But that’s a matter of personal preference. I’ve admittedly not consumed all available SW media, but Attack of the Clones is still the worst SW I’ve seen.

Have you watched The Acolyte? And for the most part AotC kept to Star Wars lore and didn't actively attempt to deconstruct or subvert the universe. It's one thing to not be a great movie/show. It another to actively try to push an agenda, hire directors that don't know what they are doing, writers who don't like Star Wars, etc.

phantom menace and attack of clones were equally painful for me to watch..
Phantom menace was bad. From the offensive Asian dialect trade federation dudes, to Jar Jar, to queen amidala (not Padme), to the cheesy federation droids, to the Jewish alien that owned Anakin…it was all so poorly done. But the story was fine. Although the midiclorian conception thing was bad too.

I’m not one to be offended by things and sometimes think people need to get over themselves when trying to play gotcha all the time…but the movie did a good job at least trying to offend Asians, blacks, Jews, and Christian’s. Lol.

All that said, still better than some of this Disney crap.

You can always count on South Park and the Babylon Bee to come up with comedic absurdities that combine at predicting the future. Not even South Park though could come up with something as absurd as lesbian space witches conceiving and carrying black fatherless twins.
We're veering here into a territory I'm not particularly interested in, but I'd love a genuine, serious response to this question.

How is the scenario presented in The Acolyte (lesbian space witches conceiving and carrying fatherless twins) any different from Palpatine manipulating the force so that Shmi carries a fatherless kid?

We're veering here into a territory I'm not particularly interested in, but I'd love a genuine, serious response to this question.

How is the scenario presented in The Acolyte (lesbian space witches conceiving and carrying fatherless twins) any different from Palpatine manipulating the force so that Shmi carries a fatherless kid?
That would make him like Jesus, right?? I dunno...haven't followed this series since the early 80's.

Was it actually part of the movie he Palpy did that? I don't recall that part.

But the fact of that matter is the the prequels made a ton of money. Revenge of the Sith was actually pretty good and tied things together for Episode 4. Disney is going to lose a ton on The Acolyte, and it's because it is not good and pushes their agenda..

Reactions: lilspainishflea

As I acknowledged above, perhaps you missed it, some Christian’s might have found that offensive back in the 90’s. I am an equal opportunity commentator on these boards.

But that never struck me as agenda driven. George Lucas never discussed his agenda. Whereas Headland acknowledged that she didn’t know an Ewok from a Jawa, or a woookie from a Tuscan and was going to model the Acolyte in her queerness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT