ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Acolyte

They wanted female lead. That's fine. Except their agenda was for her to be the most amazing character without flaws. Which was stupid and boring. And if you are going to accuse me of bad faith I can just stop responding.

And aside from the Mary Sue, they tore down the two biggest male heroes in the process. One was depicted as a deadbeat Dad and the other as a crazy old fool who got a lot of people killed and even wanted to kill his own nephew. But that’s fine, it happens all the time in Hollywood and literature. But pretty convenient that in tearing them down, they make Leia and Rey the two biggest heroes in the Star Wars universe. And in case we weren’t sure, they made sure we understood through the Obi Wan series that Leia was the real hero and now Rey will redeem and save the Jedi order in her upcoming movie….because the force is female.

For me it’s all fine. I love women. Most of us do. But you’d have to be blinded by whatever to not see what Disney is doing.
If you both are arguing that having Rey as the protagonist of the new trilogy is agenda driven (She's no more a Mary Sue than Luke. There are plenty of flaws that play out over the three films) then you both are absolutely debating in bad faith.

If you both are arguing that having Rey as the protagonist of the new trilogy is agenda driven (She's no more a Mary Sue than Luke. There are plenty of flaws that play out over the three films) then you both are absolutely debating in bad faith.
Come on Ski. Like I said, if the movies were good, things would take care of themselves. But if you deny that Disney and Lucasfilm don’t have an ideological agenda, then you are not acting g in good faith. It’s ok. And it’s a free world. They can do what they want.

I don't even like those films but this is silly. She absolutely has flaws. Just not as many as the usual Star Wars hero. Mind you, countless films, novels, etc. have lead males, females, etc. that are close to of not without many flaws and overpowered and too quick to learn. It's not some new phenomena. It's been a thing for a long time. And, yes, each time it's done it generally makes the hero less interesting. So, yeah, kinda just a boring story/character choice than anything else.

It's not silly. The OT had Luke, who had to learn and train to become a Jedi Knight to have any chance of battling Vader. The PT had Anakin, who had to learn to become a Jedi and ultimately his character gave into the temptations of the dark side. You would think that any competent person would give Rey an arc where she has to actually become a strong Jedi, but magically being amazing from the beginning. As you said, it made her far less interesting, but they didn't care.

Reactions: Tucker99

So you think Luke is a Mary Sure? The same Luke who got his arse handed to him by Vader and had to continue training to become a strong Jedi? He was a dorky kid and needed a Jedi Master to watch over him.

Come on Ski. Like I said, if the movies were good, things would take care of themselves. But if you deny that Disney and Lucasfilm don’t have an ideological agenda, then you are not acting g in good faith. It’s ok. And it’s a free world. They can do what they want.
I think the way you presented your argument, that the fact that the sequel trilogy had a female protagonist as pushing an agenda, speaks to bad faith arguments. If the starting position is female protagonist = agenda, we won't get very far.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
And aside from the Mary Sue, they tore down the two biggest male heroes in the process. One was depicted as a deadbeat Dad and the other as a crazy old fool who got a lot of people killed and even wanted to kill his own nephew. But that’s fine, it happens all the time in Hollywood and literature. But pretty convenient that in tearing them down, they make Leia and Rey the two biggest heroes in the Star Wars universe. And in case we weren’t sure, they made sure we understood through the Obi Wan series that Leia was the real hero and now Rey will redeem and save the Jedi order in her upcoming movie….because the force is female.

For me it’s all fine. I love women. Most of us do. But you’d have to be blinded by whatever to not see what Disney is doing.
Yoda started getting torn down in Episode 1 to 3 by Lucas when it was obvious his motives weren't all that pure.

Han was always kinda a debonair deadbeat in the OT. No reason think he'd be some ideal father. He was a smuggler, gambler and shot first.

Again I'm not a huge fan of the ST but these reasons for it not working are the boring ones. There are a lot if reasons it doesn't work. Mostly due to the creative decisions nit being all that compelling.

I think the way you presented your argument, that the fact that the sequel trilogy had a female protagonist as pushing an agenda, speaks to bad faith arguments. If the starting position is female protagonist = agenda, we won't get very far.
Yoda started getting torn down in Episode 1 to 3 by Lucas when it was obvious his motives weren't all that pure.

Han was always kinda a debonair deadbeat in the OT. No reason think he'd be some ideal father. He was a smuggler, gambler and shot first.

Again I'm not a huge fan of the ST but these reasons for it not working are the boring ones. There are a lot if reasons it doesn't work. Mostly due to the creative decisions nit being all that compelling.
I appreciate the civil discourse guys. But if there was an argument, there isn’t anymore. The Leslye Headland hire put it to bed.

I appreciate the civil discourse guys. But if there was an argument, there isn’t anymore. The Leslye Headland hire put it to bed.
I don’t know who that is
My question is - why do you ?

Edit- seems she ‘s done mostly R rated movies
So what’s the supposed agenda other than being a women?

I don’t know who that is
My question is - why do you ?

Edit- seems she ‘s done mostly R rated movies
So what’s the supposed agenda other than being a women?
The said agenda was to make a queer Star Wars. Congratulations mission accomplished.

But the world agrees that it’s a hot pile of garbage.

I mean, it should be pretty clear. Headland has little qualification for her helming such a large budget production.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The said agenda was to make a queer Star Wars. Congratulations mission accomplished.

But the world agrees that it’s a hot pile of garbage.
It’s not
You’re mental about anything a female does with your beloved star wars

Star Wars has always been queer .

I mean, it should be pretty clear. Headland has little qualification for her helming such a large budget production.
Other than Russian dolls and directing and producing movies and tv series .

What qualifications is required for a Star Wars series ?

The book of boba fett sucked - is it because Fauvreau wasn’t qualified ?

Obi wan kenobu was meh - did Deborah Chow forget how to direct after the mandalorian ?

You guys sound like a bunch of Joe Rogan Incels with This stuff

Other than Russian dolls and directing and producing movies and tv series .

What qualifications is required for a Star Wars series ?

The book of boba fett sucked - is it because Fauvreau wasn’t qualified ?

Obi wan kenobu was meh - did Deborah Chow forget how to direct after the mandalorian ?

You guys sound like a bunch of Joe Rogan Incels with This stuff
Buddy, Headland literally said that she was going to make Star Wars in her queerness. She also said didn’t know a thing about the source material. Source material is pretty important to fans. I would think you know, but maybe it’s Ski who certainly has a bone to pick with show runners taking creative liberties with things.

I couldn’t pick out Joe Rogan if he were sitting next to me at this bar I’m in. But if we sound like “incels”, then count us as part of the 85% of viewers who see it for what it is.

Buddy, Headland literally said that she was going to make Star Wars in her queerness. She also said didn’t know a thing about the source material. Source material is pretty important to fans. I would think you know, but maybe it’s Ski who certainly has a bone to pick with show runners taking creative liberties with things.

I couldn’t pick out Joe Rogan if he were sitting next to me at this bar I’m in. But if we sound like “incels”, then count us as part of the 85% of viewers who see it for what it is.
You have an absolute hardon for women in Star Wars
Much like this lady and Kennedy - I never ever heard of their names before

I’m sorry for your loss as a weird sci-fi fanboy

I could list the women of Star Wars and discuss my admiration for them, but I’d be playing into your hands. I’ll only mention Chow since you brought her up. She’s good. She’s directed a bunch of very good episodes. Some of the better ones were hers. But you’re the only one who spoke negatively of her. You must have a hardon for Asian women (using your logic). I won’t discuss Jeffrey Epstein’s personal assistant because her Acolyte performance speaks for its self. And Since you brought up Kennedy, please sell me on her. Is Star Wars healthier today than when she took over? Tell me where I’m wrong. Be specific.
You have an absolute hardon for women in Star Wars
Much like this lady and Kennedy - I never ever heard of their names before

I’m sorry for your loss as a weird sci-fi fanboy

It could be worse.

They could be making a Space Balls sequel with a bunch of hack tv writers and a director whose last movie was about talking dogs.

So was that alien a he or a they?
You’re still watching? Let me take a wild guess and try to crack the code of your post. …, pronouns have been introduced in a galaxy far far away?

Here’s what the other guys in this thread don’t understand. If there’s an on screen agenda, are we to believe the agenda stops there? Of course not. It’s in the writers room, it’s in production, it’s backstage and it’s throughout all the different departments and aspects of a film. In other words, their goal is checking boxes and therefore the results are crap. So when people are disagreeing and saying “hire better people and make better films”…we agree. Hire the most talented people for the job. If an NFL team placed more emphasis on drafting players who only fit into a certain box, they’d be 0-17 every single year.

You’re still watching? Let me take a wild guess and try to crack the code of your post. …, pronouns have been introduced in a galaxy far far away?

Here’s what the other guys in this thread don’t understand. If there’s an on screen agenda, are we to believe the agenda stops there? Of course not. It’s in the writers room, it’s in production, it’s backstage and it’s throughout all the different departments and aspects of a film. In other words, their goal is checking boxes and therefore the results are crap. So when people are disagreeing and saying “hire better people and make better films”…we agree. Hire the most talented people for the job. If an NFL team placed more emphasis on drafting players who only fit into a certain box, they’d be 0-17 every single year.
Well here you go, so you don't have to watch it.

The following scene happens immediately after the protagonists meets a rodent-like tracker, Bazil, for the first time.

Bazil looks like this:
the-acolyte-creature-feature-bazil-featured_17dde8c4.jpeg

This scene takes place on board a Jedi ship while traveling to find another Jedi, with only other individuals onboard involved in the search for said Jedi.

Here's the dialogue mentioned in the post above above. As far as I know, it is the first time gender non-specific pronouns have been used in a Star War live action show. However, I believe "they" was also used in a recently released (last month or two) 15 min long animation short:

So judge for yourself about this scene that was written, probably survived rewrites, filmed, and survived the general editing process. Is this necessary or warranted dialogue in the context of the Star Wars universe that serves to move the plot or character development forward or improve any understanding of the plot or motivations of the characters, or is it more apropos for US Culture Wars virtue signaling circa 2020s?

Last edited:
If you are going to do that, at least have the courage to make character human.

And again, if it didn't suck so bad most people wouldn't care. I was falling asleep during episode 4. It was soooo boring. The only exciting thing was the final 15 seconds. To think this show was $180 million plus promotion to make.

And again, if it didn't suck so bad most people wouldn't care. I was falling asleep during episode 4. It was soooo boring. The only exciting thing was the final 15 seconds. To think this show was $180 million plus promotion to make.
If it sux so bad, why are you watching?

^^^And now there’s the expose that came out two days ago that Disney is discriminating against white men. I’m batting .1000 in this thread.

^^^And now there’s the expose that came out two days ago that Disney is discriminating against white men. I’m batting .1000 in this thread.

That's apparent from 5 seconds of watching this series. I mean, you've got to try pretty hard to have a room full a Jedi younglings and none of them being white males. What are the odds of that?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That's apparent from 5 seconds of watching this series. I mean, you've got to try pretty hard to have a room full a Jedi younglings and none of them being white males. What are the odds of that?

Episode 5 was a definite improvement from 3 and 4, though it's still average and the dialogue is still terrible. Probably back to boredom until the finale.

If you watched the last two episodes of this show and didn't think it was prime.Star Wars, you're just hating to hate imo.

Amazing lore, humor (well I did wear a mask) and light saber fights.

Episode 5 was a definite improvement from 3 and 4, though it's still average and the dialogue is still terrible. Probably back to boredom until the finale.
Average with terrible dialogue? Sounds like it's about what to expect from 90% of SW content!

If you watched the last two episodes of this show and didn't think it was prime.Star Wars, you're just hating to hate imo.

Amazing lore, humor (well I did wear a mask) and light saber fights.
Well you could be on to something. The audience score went from 13% before those episodes up to 14% after. Too little too late I suppose. But hey maybe that’ll be enough for BlackRock to greenlight another season of bullshit.

Disney's new Alien movie doing well especially given the 80M budget. They've had a strong summer with Apes, Inside Out, Deadpool and Alien.

May it rest in peace. It’s over.

It's for the best. Hedland would have completely screwed up the Darth Plagueis story.

And it's hilarious that this tweet is accusing Disney of catering to the "toxic" fans. If Disney would cater to the so called toxic fans, it would be earning a lot more revenue from the Star Wars franchise.

Not hard. Hire directors and creators who actually have experience making movies and telling good stories that weren't only documentaries and in a way not intended to subvert expectations.

I gave it a fair shot. Waited to see where it went through the final, excruciating episode.

Like everything else in recent Star Wars, outside of Rogue One/Andor and some bits of the Madalorian, it ended up being another exercise in frustration due to sloppy, rushed writing, unexplained and inexplicable meandering from core tenants of what made the Star Wars franchise popular to begin with, and horrible execution of parts that showed the promise of potential if they were only given the care, time, editing, and proper talent to flesh them out. In the end, the Acolyte was just absolutely terrible on nearly every level.

There has been much wasted potential all over Disney's Star Wars, from the sequel movies squandering talent that will never again be reunited, to the snoozefest of Book of Boba Fett that just completely undermined what made the character interesting in the first place, to the massively disappointing and cannon wrecking of Obi Wan. But the Acolyte just took failure to appropriately nurture a property to a whole new level. Each project has had flashes that just made them all very frustrating...moments where you can say to yourself, "that could have been an awesome idea if"...."if" being the operative word.

I can't imagine there is much interest outside the most diehard core of the fanbase for the newly planned movies. Outside of Andor, Disney has largely wrecked the stature of the property.

In space ? Don’t Know
What color are aliens usually ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT