ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Acolyte

Was it actually part of the movie he Palpy did that? I don't recall that part.

But the fact of that matter is the the prequels made a ton of money. Revenge of the Sith was actually pretty good and tied things together for Episode 4. Disney is going to lose a ton on The Acolyte, and it's because it is not good and pushes their agenda..
I believe technically the information that Palps did it came out in a later canonical comic, but the idea that a child can be created through the force is consistent with Lucas’s world.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Well, apparently Disney Pixar can still open sequel. Inside Out 2 likely come in just above/below Barbie's opening weekend domestic with 160M~. Could go higher. Walk ups business - for this era at least - is insane.

So as bad as last year was for Disney, this year - Apes, Inside Out, Deadpool & Wolverine, Moana - is looking extremely strong. They could potentially have #1, #2 and #3 grossers domestic/overseas/worldwide.

Well, apparently Disney Pixar can still open sequel. Inside Out 2 likely come in just above/below Barbie's opening weekend domestic with 160M~. Could go higher. Walk ups business - for this era at least - is insane.

So as bad as last year was for Disney, this year - Apes, Inside Out, Deadpool & Wolverine, Moana - is looking extremely strong. They could potentially have #1, #2 and #3 grossers domestic/overseas/worldwide.

Yeah, they figure they can take the company profit to enact social change through franchises like Star Wars. I'm actually fine with some of that, but it can not be more important than the quality of the story and writing. Look at The Last of Us. They had that gay centered episode and it was good. Not a lot of pushback there.

Yeah, they figure they can take the company profit to enact social change through franchises like Star Wars. I'm actually fine with some of that, but it can not be more important than the quality of the story and writing. Look at The Last of Us. They had that gay centered episode and it was good. Not a lot of pushback there.
Last of Us is HBO and very mych aimed at adults. Of course there was little to no push back. Why would there be?

Last of Us is HBO and very mych aimed at adults. Of course there was little to no push back. Why would there be?

Because some say that people are hating on Disney Star Wars because they hate gays, or women, or African Americans, etc. But those folks mostly like The Last of Us, and The Mandolorian season 1 and 2, and Andor, and Rogue One. So the theory people are using goes out the window.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Because some say that people are hating on Disney Star Wars because they hate gays, or women, or African Americans, etc. But those folks mostly like The Last of Us, and The Mandolorian season 1 and 2, and Andor, and Rogue One. So the theory people are using goes out the window.
Most hate on the new Star Wars because the writing sucks and it's oversaturated with too much content. With better writing, casting, acting, etc. the concepts in Acolyte are just fine. Nothing special but fine. But that's not the case. It's boring. It could be all lesbians and trans in the cast, if the writing was good and the acting was good it would be a good show. Yeah. It's bad. It's one of countless bland movies or series Disney or non Disney out there. But not because there are lesbians witches though.

This isn't you. I only defend Disney - trust me I'm no shill for Disney - because people act stupid. Like because they had a down year at box office they're dome after lording over it for 10 years. Studio success is cyclical. Disney was down last year and they're up this year. WB might up next year. Who knows.

was there someone gay in Rogue One? Damn, i missed that but i miss alot. that is one of my favorite ones to be honest..

i must be watching these movies incorrectly, i watched mandalorian too and damned if i dont recall any gay people in that one too.

Are you guys on acid when you watch this? Like a Pink Floyd album going on during Wizard of Oz thing and maybe i am not aware of? Cause mandalorian, i just remember a mandalorian dude and the little green mini yoda baby kicking everyone's ass.

There was the hot asian chick from mt. lebo in season 2 i think. the chick from "ER", i was ok with that though. she was a cool character.

was there someone gay in Rogue One? Damn, i missed that but i miss alot. that is one of my favorite ones to be honest..

i must be watching these movies incorrectly, i watched mandalorian too and damned if i dont recall any gay people in that one too.

Are you guys on acid when you watch this? Like a Pink Floyd album going on during Wizard of Oz thing and maybe i am not aware of? Cause mandalorian, i just remember a mandalorian dude and the little green mini yoda baby kicking everyone's ass.

There was the hot asian chick from mt. lebo in season 2 i think. the chick from "ER", i was ok with that though. she was a cool character.
On either side, you gotta reach to find it. Donnie Yen would be my guess. People on either side will reach to either champion or lament the decision.

That's why this is goofy. 95% of the people that saw it are like you... Didn't even register and don't care even if it did.

On either side, you gotta reach to find it. Donnie Yen would be my guess. People on either side will reach to either champion or lament the decision.

That's why this is goofy. 95% of the people that saw it are like you... Didn't even register and don't care even if it did.
I occasionally check out a couple influencers who hate the gratuitous and agenda filled stuff and when they saw Barbie, they acknowledged the themes but didn’t mind because it didn’t get in the way of a well done movie. In other words, when a project is good, it gets overlooked. When it’s overt, intentional and bad, it gets 17% viewer scores like the acolyte.

I occasionally check out a couple influencers who hate the gratuitous and agenda filled stuff and when they saw Barbie, they acknowledged the themes but didn’t mind because it didn’t get in the way of a well done movie. In other words, when a project is good, it gets overlooked. When it’s overt, intentional and bad, it gets 17% viewer scores like the acolyte.
This. Exactly this. It's also why people don't reference Rogue One with the go broke stuff. Like Barbie... It was well made and made a TON of money.

Everyone picks and chooses. Both sides. It's exhausting.

This. Exactly this. It's also why people don't reference Rogue One with the go broke stuff. Like Barbie... It was well made and made a TON of money.

Everyone picks and chooses. Both sides. It's exhausting.
But you gotta admit, the subject of this thread was destined to fail the minute Kennedy and Iger signed off on Headland. There’s no excuse for it. There’s no explanation for hiring her. Except agenda. No bones about it. As H2P said above, they’re using their established and popular IP to push identity politics thinking that it’s too big to fail. Well I think we see that nothing is too big to fail.

Rogue One had a female lead and diverse cast and I don't recall one single complaint about that movie. Could it be because it was petty good? Contrast that to the characters of the sequel trilogy.

Same thing with Andor. Pretty diverse casting. No complaints. Why not?

But you gotta admit, the subject of this thread was destined to fail the minute Kennedy and Iger signed off on Headland. There’s no excuse for it. There’s no explanation for hiring her. Except agenda. No bones about it. As H2P said above, they’re using their established and popular IP to push identity politics thinking that it’s too big to fail. Well I think we see that nothing is too big to fail.
Uh. None of that matters. Just hire more talented people and essentially the same thing could be great.

Again, could say Barbie, Spider-verse, etc. are agenda driven. But they're huge successes. Inside Out 2 is agenda driven. Huge success. Pretty every movie or series is agenda driven. Yellow Jackets has all this stuff... Huge success. List is endless of failures and successes that are agenda driven.

Rogue One had a female lead and diverse cast and I don't recall one single complaint about that movie. Could it be because it was petty good? Contrast that to the characters of the sequel trilogy.

So why even even reference the agenda. It's simply not a good series because it's not a series.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Uh. None of that matters. Just hire more talented people and essentially the same thing could be great.

Again, could say Barbie, Spider-verse, etc. are agenda driven. But they're huge successes. Inside Out 2 is agenda driven. Huge success. Pretty every movie or series is agenda driven. Yellow Jackets has all this stuff... Huge success. List is endless of failures and successes that are agenda driven.
Barbie was going to be a huge success no matter what because nostalgic women were getting together with friends and going to see it…or taking their daughters and all of their friends and going. Throw in a few cucks going and well it’s going to be a success. Not as big as it could have been but still a slam dunk to succeed. People were able to overlook the premise because everyone knows the patriarchy theme was fiction and no one hates strong women. Now, if they would have race swapped Barbie with a black male, say Billy Porter, it would have bombed.

Oh and Headland is talented. She’s been nominated for awards. Her gay dark comedies that garnered praise from critics simply wasn’t a fit for Star Wars. Who couldn’t have guessed??

Oh and Headland is talented. She’s been nominated for awards. Her gay dark comedies that garnered praise from critics simply wasn’t a fit for Star Wars. Who couldn’t have guessed??

Mainstream success that appeals to (ideally) both critics and generally audiences is what matters most. Hire people who can make good content that lots of people like. And who respect the source material and won't attempt to subvert expectations because they can't do anything else noteworthy.

Because that's the reason it isn't good. Placing the agenda ahead of actual important stuff like writing and directing.
The reason it isn't good is because they picked the wrong talent shepherd it through to life. That's it. It's very simple. They could've had 300 people that identify as squirreks and they were talented, it would be good.

If Spider-verse or Barbie bombed, you could say the same. People werecsaying Barbie wouldn't be good becauseof its agendaleading up releasethen they got super quiet after it blew up. If Fury Road with Theron as the true lead and strong feminist lean wasn't good, you say "because er agenda" but George Miller is great so it was great. List goes on and on.

Reactions: Tucker99
Then it's a misfire. Mangold is talented too but Dial of Destiny was not. Happens. Spielberg is talented but 1941 was a piece of rubbish.

What was agenda driven in the sequel trilogy? Cmon now. Maybe they just weren’t that good.

The reason it isn't good is because they picked the wrong talent shepherd it through to life. That's it. It's very simple. They could've had 300 people that identify as squirreks and they were talented, it would be good.

If Spider-verse or Barbie bombed, you could say the same. People werecsaying Barbie wouldn't be good becauseof its agendaleading up releasethen they got super quiet after it blew up. If Fury Road with Theron as the true lead and strong feminist lean wasn't good, you say "because er agenda" but George Miller is great so it was great. List goes on and on.
Why did they pick the wrong talent though? I mean we could see this disaster coming from a mile away.

The Barbie director has a proven track record.

Actually they lost 300 million and that’s being generous.

People often don’t include the theatrical rentals split and in this case, because they didn’t do much business in China, a 50/50 split is fair to assume. So it made 383 million worldwide and after paying out the theaters it made Disney 192 million dollars.

But hold on…because it was filmed in the UK for tax credit purposes, the Disney lies on production costs eventually come out a year or so later. The filings showed that Disney after receiving its rebates from the UK, lost 159 million on the film.

But hold on again…that doesn’t include marketing costs which typically for a big budget film like a marvel or Star Wars is in the neighborhood of 150 minimum. For Little Mermaid, Disney spent well over 200 million to market. So being conservative in estimating marketing costs, and it’s easy to see that Disney lost 300 million on Indy. And that’s probably low. 325 million is probably a good estimate.

But again, Disney felt like enough people were interested in an 80 year old Indy to make a big budget 5th installment? But really they felt like they’d suck in enough people with Ford, bait and switch and they’d make them care about someone named Phoebe. It didn’t work and Disney now says that Indy is done forever.
It includes all that. The 25% reimbursement from the UK helped.

Hey at least this project has united Star Wars fans once and for all.

What’s allegedly agenda driven about Inside Out 2? I’m seeing nothing but praise for it, even from the people most critical of todays Disney. These are the same people who liked Barbie and films like Rogue One.

What’s allegedly agenda driven about Inside Out 2? I’m seeing nothing but praise for it, even from the people most critical of todays Disney. These are the same people who liked Barbie and films like Rogue One.
You can read into her relationship with her friends just as folks did with Luca and Turning Red if you wanna.

Agenda would be mental health and how best to handle it.

You can read into her relationship with her friends just as folks did with Luca and Turning Red if you wanna.

Agenda would be mental health and how best to handle it.
Yeah. I think there’s a difference that you might not understand. People can knit pick anything and there are things in that movie that some people will. That’s just life in general. Just like Rogue One with the gay characters. Most people didn’t care and the movie did well. I just saw a guy who plenty of people think is toxic (he’s not really, he just calls balls and strikes) and he said Inside Out 2 was very good and family friendly. It has a 95% audience score and that score alone shows there’s nothing divisive about it.

It’s the overt shameless highly agenda driven stuff that people have a problem with and, well, results in a 15% audience score and lack of viewership like the acolyte.

Reactions: Zepley09
Yeah. I think there’s a difference that you might not understand. People can knit pick anything and there are things in that movie that some people will. That’s just life in general. Just like Rogue One with the gay characters. Most people didn’t care and the movie did well. I just saw a guy who plenty of people think is toxic (he’s not really, he just calls balls and strikes) and he said Inside Out 2 was very good and family friendly. It has a 95% audience score and that score alone shows there’s nothing divisive about it.

It’s the overt shameless highly agenda driven stuff that people have a problem with and, well, results in a 15% audience score and lack of viewership like the acolyte.
For a hyper geek property like Star Wars, it's likely to always be more divisive. Inside Out is not Star Wars. Star Wars is maybe one of if not the most toxic fan base out there.

For a hyper geek property like Star Wars, it's likely to always be more divisive. Inside Out is not Star Wars. Star Wars is maybe one of if not the most toxic fan base out there.
Yup. To my point to @Fk_Pitt about nerds not being accepting, let’s not forget that Star Wars fans nearly drove Ahmed Best to commit suicide.

Yup. To my point to @Fk_Pitt about nerds not being accepting, let’s not forget that Star Wars fans nearly drove Ahmed Best to commit suicide.
well at least Headland has unified the entire fanbase for the first time since The Force Awakens.

Watched the House of the Dragon premiere. That show is leaps an bounds better than The Acolyte. The writing is probably the most notable difference. Much better dialogue.

But HOTD's success brings up a good question. Many of the same people who have been criticizing Star Wars like the Game of Thrones spinoff. It has leading female characters and a good amount of diversity. So the idea that they hate Star Wars out of misogyny or racism goes out the window. They don't like The Acolyte because it's boring and it sucks. They like HotD because it's interesting and fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
Plenty of RW influencers feigned outrage over Barbie -
Because grievance is the only thing that sells
Because that's the reason it isn't good. Placing the agenda ahead of actual important stuff like writing and directing.
joe Rogan broke your brain

Watched the House of the Dragon premiere. That show is leaps an bounds better than The Acolyte. The writing is probably the most notable difference. Much better dialogue.

But HOTD's success brings up a good question. Many of the same people who have been criticizing Star Wars like the Game of Thrones spinoff. It has leading female characters and a good amount of diversity. So the idea that they hate Star Wars out of misogyny or racism goes out the window. They don't like The Acolyte because it's boring and it sucks. They like HotD because it's interesting and fun to watch.
Still waiting for your explanation of what was agenda driven in the sequel trilogy. Or maybe, just maybe, you’re coming to this discussion in bad faith.

Plenty of RW influencers feigned outrage over Barbie -
Because grievance is the only thing that sells

joe Rogan broke your brain
Yah like I said, it’s human nature. You’ll always have people who find a problem or try to make money and get clicks. That’s just how it goes in todays world. But those “plenty of influencers” really did a good job of influencing huh, considering the movie was such a success? The influencers with millions and millions of subscribers and followers all seemed to have minimal problem with the film from a political standpoint.

Maybe people don't want diversity and inclusivity?

You don't always have to find a reason. Is that wrong?

Still waiting for your explanation of what was agenda driven in the sequel trilogy. Or maybe, just maybe, you’re coming to this discussion in bad faith.

They wanted female lead. That's fine. Except their agenda was for her to be the most amazing character without flaws. Which was stupid and boring. And if you are going to accuse me of bad faith I can just stop responding.

They wanted female lead. That's fine. Except their agenda was for her to be the most amazing character without flaws. Which was stupid and boring. And if you are going to accuse me of bad faith I can just stop responding.
I don't even like those films but this is silly. She absolutely has flaws. Just not as many as the usual Star Wars hero. Mind you, countless films, novels, etc. have lead males, females, etc. that are close to of not without many flaws and overpowered and too quick to learn. It's not some new phenomena. It's been a thing for a long time. And, yes, each time it's done it generally makes the hero less interesting. So, yeah, kinda just a boring story/character choice than anything else.

And aside from the Mary Sue, they tore down the two biggest male heroes in the process. One was depicted as a deadbeat Dad and the other as a crazy old fool who got a lot of people killed and even wanted to kill his own nephew. But that’s fine, it happens all the time in Hollywood and literature. But pretty convenient that in tearing them down, they make Leia and Rey the two biggest heroes in the Star Wars universe. And in case we weren’t sure, they made sure we understood through the Obi Wan series that Leia was the real hero and now Rey will redeem and save the Jedi order in her upcoming movie….because the force is female.

For me it’s all fine. I love women. Most of us do. But you’d have to be blinded by whatever to not see what Disney is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT