ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

The question is, is this spurt fools gold? If they fall short there's a line of reasoning that it would have been better for the wheels to totally fall of to force the rebuilding process to start. This run may do the opposite and convince Dubas et all to continue to try to tinker around the edges and prolong the process.
Well, they unloaded Guentzel.
The 3 or 4 guys they need to unload the most have no movement clauses.
Jarry has a limited one, and a huge millstone of a contract around his neck.
The rest of the crew are younger but mediocre talents.
Crosby won't be moved.

What can they do until these guys hang up their skates??

The Pens power play is so weak it isn't even funny.
You hold your breath that they don't give up a shorty.
Just no pressure, slow motion passing, no one crashing net, predictable shots.

It shouldn't be this bad with the star power they have available.

Reactions: Dan1911
Crosby getting the worst of things in this second period.
Rammed into net, hit in the face with puck/stick, then shoulder checked down.
Can't lose him during this stretch run.

Crosby getting the worst of things in this second period.
Rammed into net, hit in the face with puck/stick, then shoulder checked down.
Can't lose him during this stretch run.
He will need the ice bath.

I don’t even think they spend much time practicing the PP

Gift PP to Leafs who cash in off the faceoff.
The way our offense is tonight, that's probably it.

I think that was a bad goal Ned just let in. Wasn't screened and it was from distance. Toronto is buzzing right now.

I still wish to not see Jarry again the rest of the season. That save Ned just made, sorry, Jarry doesn't make it. Ned is really doing well, well enough to stay #1

When you get the backchecking overly aggressive Malkin, you know the game means a ton …

1 point but it really is ****ing embarrassing how terrible they are in OT. Why is 87 not out there to start?

Tough loss !!! ...... Pens couldn't get a change in OT and Toronto changed twice !

Now tomorrow night, it doesn't matter who wins, detroit or Wash, Pens will still be #9 at the end of the night. I blame this OT loss on Sullivan.

I'll root for the Caps to beat Detroit in regulation tonight, they have 1 less point than the Wings and still have BOS and TB left on the schedule.
Needless to say Thursday is huge against Detroit.
May have to go 4-0 or at least 3-0-1 to make the playoffs.

The question is, is this spurt fools gold? If they fall short there's a line of reasoning that it would have been better for the wheels to totally fall of to force the rebuilding process to start. This run may do the opposite and convince Dubas et all to continue to try to tinker around the edges and prolong the process.
That is exactly what is worrisome. I mean Karlsson is playing now like we all hoped. DOC looks for real. POJ has finally rounded out his game. St. Ivalny looks like a really solid bottom Dman. Bunting is exactly what we need. But...this is a small sample size.

But they are showing a pulse. The OT was an unfortunate end, but to be honest, I was just hoping for a point last night and they got it. Thursday night is the season. They need to win, and win in regulation.

I’m 100% convinced this staff places very little investment in working on the PP and 3 on 3. There really is no other reasoning for how pathetic they are.
Well the PP was really good last night. It looked like they have actually instituted some changes with Bunting in the bumper role and their point man actually getting shots through.

Well the PP was really good last night. It looked like they have actually instituted some changes with Bunting in the bumper role and their point man actually getting shots through.
You are right in that we made some design changes in the PP, made quicker passes, and got some shots through but the end result was that we were 0/5 on the PP which is terrible and was a big reason we didn't get 2 points last night (that an the inability to understand how to play in OT) ........ on the one hand, it is encouraging that the PP execution and design looked better and if it continues hopefully some goals will start to go in ...... on the other hand, we were still 0 for 5 on the PP which is bad and helped cost us a very important 2nd point, Toronto is not a very good PK'ing team (20th in the league), and teams now have film to study the changes we made on the PP and they have a chance to make adjustments against us going forward ...... we have to hope that the newly designed PP produces more goals as that, in the end, is how you determine whether your PP is good or bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeportPanther
I’m 100% convinced this staff places very little investment in working on the PP and 3 on 3. There really is no other reasoning for how pathetic they are.
Just heard the Pens don't practice 3 on 3 at all...and it shows! And that lineup to start OT was just a headscratcher.

• Angry
Reactions: Allan McMurray
Just heard the Pens don't practice 3 on 3 at all...and it shows! And that lineup to start OT was just a headscratcher.
The Pens wanted to start Crosby in OT but he apparently had a skate problem and couldn't go in .... and we were never able to make a change in OT while Toronto made 2 changes and ended up with fresh players on the ice against our worn out players ..... I've also heard we don't really practice OT which is stupid if true ..... they only watch film on it supposedly.

• Angry
The Pens wanted to start Crosby in OT but he apparently had a skate problem and couldn't go in .... and we were never able to make a change in OT while Toronto made 2 changes and ended up with fresh players on the ice against our worn out players ..... I've also heard we don't really practice OT which is stupid if true ..... they only watch film on it supposedly.
That is completely derelict of duty as a coaching staff

Reactions: Dan1911 and 303vND
That is completely derelict of duty as a coaching staff
You can't always believe what you hear ..... they probably practice it some but it apparently has not been a priority ..... up until recently they mostly have done film study on OT and not much actual practice is what I heard .... but you are right, OT is a big problem and they need to emphasize it more in practice if what has been said above is true.

At this point it is desperation time. Just grab as many points as possible and keep going forward until it is over.
Nothing is certain, except you need as many points as you can get.
Thankfully they grabbed 1 last night when it didn't look likely.
Yes, they didn't get the extra one, but take what you can get and move forward.

The PP needs to click. As it sits now, it is worthless where it should be a huge asset!
At some point the goalie is going to have an off night, or just plain wear down. Need goals to bail him out.

The schedule going forward isn't daunting, but no pushover either. A lot depends on what other teams do, but the constant is Pens need points! 90 or 91 minimum I'd say.

At this point it is desperation time. Just grab as many points as possible and keep going forward until it is over.
Nothing is certain, except you need as many points as you can get.
Thankfully they grabbed 1 last night when it didn't look likely.
Yes, they didn't get the extra one, but take what you can get and move forward.

The PP needs to click. As it sits now, it is worthless where it should be a huge asset!
At some point the goalie is going to have an off night, or just plain wear down. Need goals to bail him out.

The schedule going forward isn't daunting, but no pushover either. A lot depends on what other teams do, but the constant is Pens need points! 90 or 91 minimum I'd say.
Don’t quite get the schedule going forward not being daunting. While the next 3 are all at home, it is still the Red Wings, Bruins and Predators. And then finish at the Isles. Those all sounds like tough games and/ir games against your direct competitors for the last couple playoff spots.

I guess that’s a good thing having matchups against your playoff spot competition but doesn’t make it easy. Only other good thing is if the Bruins and Predators playoff positions are locked in and they don’t have much to play for.

Reactions: USN_Panther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT