ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

Maybe the old guys were holding back and saving it for now??
If they get in and play like this, they could win a series.

Didn't see this coming!

Reactions: Allan McMurray
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My heart is racing. Haven't had this kind of feeling watching a Pens game in years.

I am telling you, Guentzel is a great player, but Bunting is a really good player and a different player. Trade reminds me of James Neal for Hornquist.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My heart is racing. Haven't had this kind of feeling watching a Pens game in years.

I am telling you, Guentzel is a great player, but Bunting is a really good player and a different player. Trade reminds me of James Neal for Hornquist.
I said in a post 2 days ago that it was tough losing Jake but Bunting brings an element that this team really needed !

Clowns. There is zero reason why the Pens PP can’t look like this.

In fact they should show the video of the Tampa power play to the players, and they should tell guys, you are going to play this role, watch this guy and do what he does. And if they either don't or can't or won't, then you sit their ass down and put in someone else who will play that way.

Tampa almost always has two guys in the middle of the ice from the bottom of the circles to the goal line. That forces the defensemen to stay at home, and it makes the forwards have to move down to cut off the passing lanes, which opens up huge amounts of space for the other three guys who are up high or in the circles.

Tampa plays with two guys in those low middle spots more often than the Penguins have one guy there on the PP. And it shows in the results.

In fact they should show the video of the Tampa power play to the players, and they should tell guys, you are going to play this role, watch this guy and do what he does. And if they either don't or can't or won't, then you sit their ass down and put in someone else who will play that way.

Tampa almost always has two guys in the middle of the ice from the bottom of the circles to the goal line. That forces the defensemen to stay at home, and it makes the forwards have to move down to cut off the passing lanes, which opens up huge amounts of space for the other three guys who are up high or in the circles.

Tampa plays with two guys in those low middle spots more often than the Penguins have one guy there on the PP. And it shows in the results.
Plus, their passing is so crisp and fast. No lingering or skating with the puck or circling. Just boom, boom, boom moving the puck as fast as possible, then when the shot is there BOOM!

The shame of it is..........if the Pens even had a below average PP, say around 22nd in the league, they would be comfortably in the playoffs.

Plus, their passing is so crisp and fast. No lingering or skating with the puck or circling. Just boom, boom, boom moving the puck as fast as possible, then when the shot is there BOOM!
One thing I have noticed, is the Pens dmen are starting to shoot and get the puck through and on net. It is resulting in goals. Now why they can't do that on the PP is beyond me.

During the 3rd period, I found myself wondering if I should be careful what I wish for. I was so nervous during this game and it wasn’t even the playoffs! As a kid and young adult there was nothing better than playoff hockey. But now as an older adult who is now getting AARP solicitations, I’m not sure my heart is strong enough.

Tampa Bay uses a 1-3-1 power play strategy which actually is a common formation in the NHL ...... the strategy creates 4 triangles on the ice to pass the puck around and hopefully create one timers ...... it causes the defense to favor the middle portion of the ice and thus the PK tends to shrink in ..... you can QB this PP from either side wall, the point, or down low ...... the down side to this formation is there is only one point man so you can be susceptible to odd man breaks against ..... to be most successful using this PP formation you need very skilled players at every position who can pass quickly, take one timers, elite attackers who can pressure the puck in the offensive zone and very good back-checkers to defend against odd man breaks ...... Tampa Bay has it all ...... IMO the player that makes this TB power play go is Nikita Kucherov who is a magician on the PP ....... a great passer who QB's their PP and who can also score goals ...... Kucherov leads the NHL in PP points with 51 so far this season (13 goals and 38 assists) ...... I've seen the Pens use the 1-3-1 and also the umbrella formation but don't execute anywhere near as well as TB.

Below is a condensed version of the game today ..... there is brief video of the 2 TB power play goals today and you can notice the 1-3-1 formation and triangles created and the defense formation condensed inward ..... look at the video from the 1:15 to 1:21 mark and then starting at the 4:04 mark ......

https://www.nhl.com/news/tampa-bay-lightning-pittsburgh-penguins-game-recap-april-6

Just watching the 3rd period. That collision with the ref was scary.
Really good example of safe removal from ice using a Ferno scoop stretcher.
A good mate of mine is chief medical officer for NZ ice hockey. He is at a rugby medic course this weekend. I'm sending this video to him as an example.

Reactions: goalieman
Just watching the 3rd period. That collision with the ref was scary.
Really good example of safe removal from ice using a Ferno scoop stretcher.
A good mate of mine is chief medical officer for NZ ice hockey. He is at a rugby medic course this weekend. I'm sending this video to him as an example.
He was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital ..... update on ref said that he is awake, alert, moving all extremities and seems to be doing well ... expected to make a full recovery ...... looks like concussion.

He was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital ..... update on ref said that he is awake, alert, moving all extremities and seems to be doing well ... expected to make a full recovery ...... looks like concussion.
The medical team did well.
With such an injury on grass, you can take your time when immobilising the spine and moving the injured person. On ice, they get hypothermic quickly so have to move deliberately but efficiently. A really good job there.
And they didn't play music. The attendants need to be able to communicate well so noise is unhelpful.

Oh boy, Flyers. Losing 0-2 at the end of the 1st at Columbus. They lose this, Torts could be quite entertaining post game. Caufield and Kennedy were spot on. Both kept saying it's only a matter of time before they implode.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Oh boy, Flyers. Losing 0-2 at the end of the 1st at Columbus. They lose this, Torts could be quite entertaining post game. Caufield and Kennedy were spot on. Both kept saying it's only a matter of time before they implode.
Torts did a masterful job to get them to this point. That roster is just not that good. It is now becoming apparent after they overachieved much of the season.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
Tampa Bay uses a 1-3-1 power play strategy which actually is a common formation in the NHL ...... the strategy creates 4 triangles on the ice to pass the puck around and hopefully create one timers ...... it causes the defense to favor the middle portion of the ice and thus the PK tends to shrink in ..... you can QB this PP from either side wall, the point, or down low ...... the down side to this formation is there is only one point man so you can be susceptible to odd man breaks against ..... to be most successful using this PP formation you need very skilled players at every position who can pass quickly, take one timers, elite attackers who can pressure the puck in the offensive zone and very good back-checkers to defend against odd man breaks ...... Tampa Bay has it all ...... IMO the player that makes this TB power play go is Nikita Kucherov who is a magician on the PP ....... a great passer who QB's their PP and who can also score goals ...... Kucherov leads the NHL in PP points with 51 so far this season (13 goals and 38 assists) ...... I've seen the Pens use the 1-3-1 and also the umbrella formation but don't execute anywhere near as well as TB.

Below is a condensed version of the game today ..... there is brief video of the 2 TB power play goals today and you can notice the 1-3-1 formation and triangles created and the defense formation condensed inward ..... look at the video from the 1:15 to 1:21 mark and then starting at the 4:04 mark ......

https://www.nhl.com/news/tampa-bay-lightning-pittsburgh-penguins-game-recap-april-6
Also.......Tampa has 3 sure fire HOFers on the PP and one in net. (Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman).

to be most successful using this PP formation you need very skilled players at every position who can pass quickly, take one timers, elite attackers who can pressure the puck in the offensive zone and very good back-checkers to defend against odd man breaks

And the Penguins actually have that kind of talent. Well, OK, maybe not the backchecking part with Malkin on the ice. But you could play Karlson or Letang up at the point, Malkin and Crosby on the two wings, Rust in the middle position, and with the way he has played since he got here, Bunting in the down low pester the goalie spot. You'd be relying on Crosby to be your main back checker, because you are unlikely to get that out of Malkin, but Crosby is very responsible defensively, so he'd make it work.

Now your second power play couldn't play that way. You'd have to do something different with them than you do with your top PP. But so what? It's not unusual for teams to have their second PP play differently than their first unit.

Also.......Tampa has 3 sure fire HOFers on the PP and one in net. (Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman).

Right but the Pens could have 4 future HOFer's out there although not an elite goalie ...... Tampa Bay runs their PP to perfection, the Pens have the talent to have a much better PP and should have a better one ..... if we don't make the Playoffs, the poor PP will be a significant reason.

I actually think that really soon you are going to have to give Ned a game off. He's played a lot of games in a short amount of time. Goalies just don't do that any more.

You're probably right, Ned looked a little less sharp overall against TB and may be wearing down some and need a little break ..... if he feels OK tomorrow, I think Ned will likely start against Toronto, then the next game is not for 3 days after which the last 3 games are every other day ..... they may need to work Jarry in somewhere for a game depending on how results go and how Ned holds up.

Last edited:
My fear is Jarry comes in. Makes some good saves, but let's a complete head scratcher or 2 in and crushes our hearts.

Detroit turned it on today, NYI last night. Pens back on the outside looking in.

The only thing they can do at this point is grab as many points as they can and see what happens.
They put themselves in this situation.
Too bad they waited so long to figure things out a bit.
The zombie like streak a few weeks ago was baffling and inexcusable.
Probably too little too late now, but we'll see.

Reactions: goalieman
The only thing they can do at this point is grab as many points as they can and see what happens.
They put themselves in this situation.
Too bad they waited so long to figure things out a bit.
The zombie like streak a few weeks ago was baffling and inexcusable.
Probably too little too late now, but we'll see.
Which was my biggest fear is to make a run and then fall short.

Can’t believe Pens coaching can’t draw up ways to stop one-timer sniping. Someone is not listening to the coaches. In BB you coach to take away the 3 pointer’s favorite spot.

Can’t believe Pens coaching can’t draw up ways to stop one-timer sniping. Someone is not listening to the coaches. In BB you coach to take away the 3 pointer’s favorite spot.
If someone had figured this out already, OV would have like 100 fewer goals. How many times has he scored from the top of the left circle on a one-timer in the PP? You know it’s coming, but yet he still keeps scoring from there.

Which was my biggest fear is to make a run and then fall short.
The question is, is this spurt fools gold? If they fall short there's a line of reasoning that it would have been better for the wheels to totally fall of to force the rebuilding process to start. This run may do the opposite and convince Dubas et all to continue to try to tinker around the edges and prolong the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT