ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

Exactly, like Tomlin someone else will hire him, doesn't mean his current team doesn't need real change, JUST LIKE THE STEELERS DO, and especially the Pens I think 3 of their last 4 Cups were won after firing a coach mid-season, am I wrong? At least 2009 and 2016 for sure.
Not allowed to say that about Tomlin though.

Not allowed to say that about Tomlin though.
I find it so weird that the same Yinzers that think the Steelers firing a head coach is so horrifying think nothing of firing the Pens head coach at any time.

Reactions: Dan1911
I find it so weird that the same Yinzers that think the Steelers firing a head coach is so horrifying think nothing of firing the Pens head coach at any time.
Either coach....my favorite rebuttal by fans are: "well who are you going to get that is better?"
Easy answers:
1) It is not my job and I am not paid to seek the next coach.
2) Ain't a single Penguins fan was clamoring for a Mike Sullivan or Dan Bylsma to be Penguins coach.
3) Ain't a single Steelers fan were clamoring for Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin when they were hired.

Point being, there are alot of really good coaches. Not that Sullivan or Tomlin aren't, but they have become extremely stale. And here is a shocker to some, if I would have to keep one over the other, I would keep Tomlin and fire Sullivan. Because Tomlin has at last admitted he needed to go into a different direction offensively and Mike Sullivan has done zero things different since 2017. He won't.

Just like tonight. Ottawa. You got some injuries. Why would you not call up Samuel Poulin and see what he got the next few games? What is the worst thing that would happen, you lose a hockey game??

Either coach....my favorite rebuttal by fans are: "well who are you going to get that is better?"
Easy answers:
2) Ain't a single Penguins fan was clamoring for a Mike Sullivan or Dan Bylsma to be Penguins coach.
3) Ain't a single Steelers fan were clamoring for Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin when they were hired.

Point being, there are alot of really good coaches. Not that Sullivan or Tomlin aren't, but they have become extremely stale. And here is a shocker to some, if I would have to keep one over the other, I would keep Tomlin and fire Sullivan. Because Tomlin has at last admitted he needed to go into a different direction offensively and Mike Sullivan has done zero things different since 2017. He won't.

Just like tonight. Ottawa. You got some injuries. Why would you not call up Samuel Poulin and see what he got the next few games? What is the worst thing that would happen, you lose a hockey game??
My response to "who are you going to get?" is simple, SOMEONE ELSE. Sometimes you just need a change, and especially the way the Steelers have done business it's not like they ever hired an established coach that anyone has heard of, so what's the difference, TRY SOMETHING NEW.

Well Rust is smallish, predicated on speed. Sure he has tenacity. But the Pens just had too many guys of this size. I do think when they signed Rust, they should have then traded Jake, and gotten some bigger dudes.

The whole thing though, Rust, Sid, Geno, Letang, Jake, etc.....is not just they were getting older and to a varying degree, lessoning of their skills, but they were/are getting stale. The messages stale. This includes coaching. It seems like they don't hold each other accountable. They miss big personalities like a Dupuis, a Talbot, a Guerin and a Robert, an Orpik, this group just seems to lack the "heat" and passion to get on things when things aren't right.

Karlson is a talent, but he certainly is not a warrior type. And changing the bottom 6 is essentially rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, with this group. The big problem is the talent that has led this team to 16 straight playoff years are on the back nine, and some very back nine.
I agree with most of your points and we all know the team is terribly flawed at present with a rebuild on the way ...... hockey experts more knowledgable than me said at the time, the Rust resigning was a good value deal for the Pens and most comparable players got more than Rust in their deals at the time ...... the cap space was a problem for the Pens and basically Rust gave up salary to stay with the Pens ...... if there was some really good deal on the table for Rust, then by all means I would have traded him , but if you didn't resign him, what return are you going to get on a player with an expiring contract who would be an UFA ? ....I think it's easy for us as fans to say trade this player or that player but what is the return being offered, what are the cap implications, etc. ? ...we usually don't take that into consideration as we don't know it ....... I've already given my thoughts on Rust as a player and won't reiterate other than to say he is a good to very good all around player that makes the team better ........ as for your suggestion of trading Jake when they resigned Rust, did you really want GM Ron Hextall trading Jake back then ...... based on the multiple terrible moves he made as GM, I can only imagine the return we would have gotten for Jake ......

I'm much more interested now with what the Pens GM does going forward around the draft and this summer in trying to reshape the team, and if the team continues it's present slide down the stretch, I have to believe there will be a new coaching staff for next year ..... wonder who that would be ?

I agree with most of your points and we all know the team is terribly flawed at present with a rebuild on the way ...... hockey experts more knowledgable than me said at the time, the Rust resigning was a good value deal for the Pens and most comparable players got more than Rust in their deals at the time ...... the cap space was a problem for the Pens and basically Rust gave up salary to stay with the Pens ...... if there was some really good deal on the table for Rust, then by all means I would have traded him , but if you didn't resign him, what return are you going to get on a player with an expiring contract who would be an UFA ? ....I think it's easy for us as fans to say trade this player or that player but what is the return being offered, what are the cap implications, etc. ? ...we usually don't take that into consideration as we don't know it ....... I've already given my thoughts on Rust as a player and won't reiterate other than to say he is a good to very good all around player that makes the team better ........ as for your suggestion of trading Jake when they resigned Rust, did you really want GM Ron Hextall trading Jake back then ...... based on the multiple terrible moves he made as GM, I can only imagine the return we would have gotten for Jake ......

I'm much more interested now with what the Pens GM does going forward around the draft and this summer in trying to reshape the team, and if the team continues it's present slide down the stretch, I have to believe there will be a new coaching staff for next year ..... wonder who that would be ?
I meant trade Jake this past offseason. I didn't want Hextall to touch anything.

Maybe that is because NHL coaches are fired at the drop of a hat, whereas NFL coaches are not. And the last time the Steelers fired a coach was Bill Austin, in 1968. Since then, they have had 3 head coaches, while the Pens have had 22. Obviously, the Pens themselves think nothing of firing a head coach.

Maybe that is because NHL coaches are fired at the drop of a hat, whereas NFL coaches are not. And the last time the Steelers fired a coach was Bill Austin, in 1968. Since then, they have had 3 head coaches, while the Pens have had 22. Obviously, the Pens themselves think nothing of firing a head coach.

NHL players, more than in any other sport, completely tune out their coach when the going gets tough. Hell, they named the NHL leadership award after a guy who helped get his coach fired because he didn't like him. Because in the NHL, that's what leaders do.

I wish the Pens thought nothing of firing a head coach. Sully is a one trick pony who blows! If I hear that dumb ass say we have to get to our game or say we have to play the right way one more time, I am going to throw a brick through my TV.

NHL players, more than in any other sport, completely tune out their coach when the going gets tough. Hell, they named the NHL leadership award after a guy who helped get his coach fired because he didn't like him. Because in the NHL, that's what leaders do.
NBA is the second
Both have guaranteed contracts

I was thinking, wow what an OT performance for Jarry....then....that.

2 goals in 12 periods of hockey.

Well I know this....this is the most disinterested a Penguin team looks since they did their silent but needed mutiny on Mike Johnson.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I'm talking about the fans, I'm not talking about the teams, why don't the fans look at this as weird, because it is, the Steelers Way is now bordering on comical, they never change a coach just because granddaddy never did at this point, just to brag they only have 3 coaches in the last 1000 years, it's become a farce.

Reactions: 303vND
I'm talking about the fans, I'm not talking about the teams, why don't the fans look at this as weird, because it is, the Steelers Way is now bordering on comical, they never change a coach just because granddaddy never did at this point, just to brag they only have 3 coaches in the last 1000 years, it's become a farce.
Regarding the Steelers, you say this constantly but on this point, you are absolutely correct. They seem to be married to this "never fire a coach thing" moreso than they are the on the field results.

Reactions: 303vND and Pitt79
Regarding the Steelers, you say this constantly but on this point, you are absolutely correct. They seem to be married to this "never fire a coach thing" moreso than they are the on the field results.
One funny thing about it is the constant revolving door of coordinators, they fire those every other year, though sometimes they try to pretend they resigned or retired for some reason, like they did with Bruce Arians.

Easy answers:

A little reminder this was also the sentiment for replacing Dixon

That name was “idiot” when they said it 10 years in a row
Even dumber when he kept winning
It was idiotic when people did it 10 years ago when they said he only won with Cowhers players. And it was idiotic when Cowher was accused of winning with Noll’s players.

But idiot wasn’t the word that was used when Tomlin bashers were being called out, as you well know.

Reactions: CCHS82
It was idiotic when people did it 10 years ago when they said he only won with Cowhers players. And it was idiotic when Cowher was accused of winning with Noll’s players.

But idiot wasn’t the word that was used when Tomlin bashers were being called out, as you well know.
Tomlin was hated for Cowher like results (who is revered by yinzers )
And there was one very clear reason for it
Since it alway went with “Rooney rule “ in their idiotic ranting
But - sure - assume it was about his coaching

Honest question. Do you think there are people who don’t think Tomlin is a good coach, that aren’t racist?

Sad to say, tonight's game against San Jose is going to be very telling. And did I hear Paul Zeise correctly last night, they are only 3 points out of a wildcard spot?

Sad to say, tonight's game against San Jose is going to be very telling. And did I hear Paul Zeise correctly last night, they are only 3 points out of a wildcard spot?
They are 7 points outside of a wildcard spot with a bunch of teams in front of them. But what has anyone seen from this team that makes them think they will be making a run? We aren’t even tanking correctly this season. Feel bad for Sid.

They are 7 points outside of a wildcard spot with a bunch of teams in front of them. But what has anyone seen from this team that makes them think they will be making a run? We aren’t even tanking correctly this season. Feel bad for Sid.
I figured Zeise had to have been mistaken in that 3 point quote.

I kinda hope they lose tonight but hope to see Bunting play well.

If you needed a sign that this isn't the Pens’ season, here you go…
I mean.....this franchise has done everything almost perfectly. Then Covid 2020 hit. And not using that as any excuse but a demarcation line. Since then, they have made poor decision after poor decision. People can say it changed when Mario sold, but Mario hired Hextall. So it predated that. But it doesn't seem like this franchise can get out of its own way. It's become, well like the other two franchises and college FB team in town.

If you needed a sign that this isn't the Pens’ season, here you go…
But don’t worry, the thieves were kind enough to sell them on eBay!

I mean.....this franchise has done everything almost perfectly. Then Covid 2020 hit. And not using that as any excuse but a demarcation line. Since then, they have made poor decision after poor decision. People can say it changed when Mario sold, but Mario hired Hextall. So it predated that. But it doesn't seem like this franchise can get out of its own way. It's become, well like the other two franchises and college FB team in town.
agree 1000%
It actually seems like they are trying to be bad.
No idea what they have been thinking on many fronts.

Rutherford left/forced out because he wanted to make "actual " moves and he was denied by someone and ever since then the free fall began.

agree 1000%
It actually seems like they are trying to be bad.
No idea what they have been thinking on many fronts.

Rutherford left/forced out because he wanted to make "actual " moves and he was denied by someone and ever since then the free fall began.
With hindsight, I firmly believe that Rutherford left because not only was he denied to make a trade, but he found out the real reason was Mario/Burkle had the team up for sale, and they didn't want to get rid of any of their core assets prior to sale.

That's revisionist history. There were people screaming for Cowher to be fired after three bad season. That and Tomlin has rarely had Cowher like results in the post season.
There is one HUUUUUUUGE advantage in favor of Tomlin that people who defend him never bring up. He was hand delivered a in his prime, 1st ballot HOF QB. That cures alot of ills. Cowher never had that until the very end of his tenure, and even then he was still in development. I think Cowher's record would be much more favorable if he had Ben say 1993-2003.

Your post doesn’t deserve any reply other than saying it’s stupid and completely unnecessary for it to be posted.

But considering who posted it, predictable.

Losing 2-1 at the end of the 1st. Please lose. Lose and lose some more. This team has pretty much mailed it in and started practicing their golf game.

Honest question. Do you think there are people who don’t think Tomlin is a good coach, that aren’t racist?
The last 5 years or so -
No
Before that - yes

Even when the team is garbage he wins .
He’s a master motivator - there is no denying it
His coordinator hires have been his worst quality

That's revisionist history. There were people screaming for Cowher to be fired after three bad season. That and Tomlin has rarely had Cowher like results in the post season.
They both made two superbowls and won 1
Which is the on my metric in the post season that matters
Tomlin screwed up by not having really bad seasons like Cowher to get better draft picks

But back on topic -
I think Sullivan is a helluva coach and a very good hockey mind
With a talented roster I trust his lines decisions .

He’s also tuned out by the team and with 2 of the “core “ being totally liabilities -
It’s time to make a change

As Joe noted above - the NHL and NBA are very different than the NFL- because they have actual players unions and players - especially stars - have all the leverage .

Hopefully PSG mercy flushes this roster and coaching staff end of the season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT