ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

Not for nothing, but over the last decade, more Pittsburgh kids have been chosen in the high rounds of the NHL draft than NFL draft.
That's all due to Mario and Sid and the 5 Cups. Personally, growing up in the 60s & 70s football was GOD, I never knew anyone that played hockey or any place near where I lived where hockey was even played. I know it was played somewhere in the area, but nowhere that I was aware of, I never even watched a Pens game until the late 80s.

It’s really not great. They had horrible attendance in those years before Sid. They’ve been very fortunate to have all time great players and winning teams for as long as they have.

The interest just isn’t there for hockey. I never hear people talk about what’s going on in the rest of the league like I do for the NFL or college football.

They did a great job capturing young fans when Sid came on the scene. But now those fans have a “wake me up when they win in the playoffs attitude”.

We have very passionate fans here but they only care when the team is winning, regardless of the sport.
Define "horrible attendance years before Sid?" Here are the numbers (3years prior and Sid's first year) in a decrepit Mellon Arena that seated 16,958:

2001-02 15,650
2002-03 14,755
2003-04 11,877
2005-06 15,804

They had one bad year, and it wasn't even that bad all things considered. You're going to find a common theme among teams that are doormats. Nobody is going to accuse Chicago of being a bad hockey town, but look at their attendance over that same period.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Define "horrible attendance years before Sid?" Here are the numbers (3years prior and Sid's first year) in a decrepit Mellon Arena that seated 16,958:

2001-02 15,650
2002-03 14,755
2003-04 11,877
2005-06 15,804

They had one bad year, and it wasn't even that bad all things considered. You're going to find a common theme among teams that are doormats. Nobody is going to accuse Chicago of being a bad hockey town, but look at their attendance over that same period.
I’m surprised the attendance was that high. Although 05-06 had Sid. I suspect we would have seen numbers more like 03-04 if we didn’t get him.

2001-02 15,650
2002-03 14,755
2003-04 11,877
2005-06 15,804

I'm just a Pens fan, not a hockey fan in general, I have never watched an entire NHL game that doesn't include the Pens and quit watching the playoffs every year the day they are eliminated, so it is harder to watch when they are bad, but I still do watch games, i watched the loss to Florida the other night.

I'm just a Pens fan, not a hockey fan in general, I have never watched an entire NHL game that doesn't include the Pens and quit watching the playoffs every year the day they are eliminated, so it is harder to watch when they are bad, but I still do watch games, i watched the loss to Florida the other night.
I think this sums up at least 80% of penguin fans. Myself included.

I think this sums up at least 80% of penguin fans. Myself included.
Hockey takes so much "stuff" like pads, sticks, helmets, skates, a goal, an ice rink, unless your parents are really into it, you're not likely to play. i grew up playing basketball and football on the playground, even in the street, you can play baseball or wiffle ball in a back yard, my parents where non-sports fan immigrants, my dad only knew soccer and that didn't even exist where I grew up in the 60s-70s, so I just learned whatever the other kids played outside so there was no chance I'd ever try hockey and part of liking the other sports better is that I actually played them.

Hockey takes so much "stuff" like pads, sticks, helmets, skates, a goal, an ice rink, unless your parents are really into it, you're not likely to play. i grew up playing basketball and football on the playground, even in the street, you can play baseball or wiffle ball in a back yard, my parents where non-sports fan immigrants, my dad only knew soccer and that didn't even exist where I grew up in the 60s-70s, so I just learned whatever the other kids played outside so there was no chance I'd ever try hockey and part of liking the other sports better is that I actually played them.
It is expensive. And time commitments. I played hockey since I was a kid, followed the penguins before Mario (I'm old) was completely jazzed up watching the 1980 Olympics unfold.....not just the Russian game. So it has been with me. Like I told some guys last night, a 12 year old me had a letter to the editor published in the Hockey Digest.

Even at the bustops, we would play like versions of street hockey/soccer with used snuff cans. LOL

But kids today, I mean you have a generation that grew up with Mario and Jagr, and then Sid and Geno. So it is now almost a full 2 generations of kids when the Pens were relatively and mostly good.

Will there be a drop off in attendance? Of course. Like someone mentioned, look at Chicago cup years then the past few years. And they have 7 million people to draw from.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
It is expensive. And time commitments. I played hockey since I was a kid, followed the penguins before Mario (I'm old) was completely jazzed up watching the 1980 Olympics unfold.....not just the Russian game. So it has been with me. Like I told some guys last night, a 12 year old me had a letter to the editor published in the Hockey Digest.

Even at the bustops, we would play like versions of street hockey/soccer with used snuff cans. LOL

But kids today, I mean you have a generation that grew up with Mario and Jagr, and then Sid and Geno. So it is now almost a full 2 generations of kids when the Pens were relatively and mostly good.

Will there be a drop off in attendance? Of course. Like someone mentioned, look at Chicago cup years then the past few years. And they have 7 million people to draw from.
I 'm a little older, hockey was not at all on my radar as a kid, it didn't seem popular and in all honesty, the first hockey game I ever watched was the 1980 USA vs USSR Gold Medal game at a college party, 20 years old, so I was also excited buy that, but never really got into it until the 1990 playoffs when the Pens won, have been a Pens fan since, but not exactly my favorite sport. still like it, Pens and the Olympics usually.

My sister-in-law’s kids all play hockey year round. With travel teams, travel, hotels, tournament, equipment, we figure they’re spending a minimum of $20k a year for the three boys. They hire private coaches for 1-on-1 coaching, etc. they (parents) have good jobs but complain they’re broke.

My sister-in-law’s kids all play hockey year round. With travel teams, travel, hotels, tournament, equipment, we figure they’re spending a minimum of $20k a year for the three boys. They hire private coaches for 1-on-1 coaching, etc. they (parents) have good jobs but complain they’re broke.
People got crazy in the age of the helicopter parents, thinking that they need to train their kids to be the best and try for scholarships and for the vast majority it's a waste, their kids could be beaten out by other kids who didn't play on the best travel teams and didn't get special training. And a lot of the time they spend $20k a year for a decade and the kid gets a partial scholarship worth $1000 in the end.

People got crazy in the age of the helicopter parents, thinking that they need to train their kids to be the best and try for scholarships and for the vast majority it's a waste, their kids could be beaten out by other kids who didn't play on the best travel teams and didn't get special training. And a lot of the time they spend $20k a year for a decade and the kid gets a partial scholarship worth $1000 in the end.
I have to agree with Pitt79 here.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I 'm a little older, hockey was not at all on my radar as a kid, it didn't seem popular and in all honesty, the first hockey game I ever watched was the 1980 USA vs USSR Gold Medal game at a college party, 20 years old, so I was also excited buy that, but never really got into it until the 1990 playoffs when the Pens won, have been a Pens fan since, but not exactly my favorite sport. still like it, Pens and the Olympics usually.
The game against the USSR was the semi-final. The Gold Medal game in 1980 was against Finland.
Not busting balls, well yeah, I'm busting balls. Can't help it!

I so get this. My youngest son has played a lot of ice hockey, and still does. We never expected any financial return on investment for all of the equipment and ice time fees spent over the years. The ROI is with the experiences. He has traveled the world to play. And if Covid hadn't happened, he would have played in three more IIHF tournaments but these were either cancelled or NZ pulled out due to Covid. (Saved me some serious coin, but we had planned to take the entire family to Europe in 2020 to see him play in U18s in Luxembourg. That would have been an amazing trip.)

He has scored goals in 4 different countries. Has penalties in 5 LOL. We joke that we have spent more on his ice hockey than university education for all three children. He did get a scholarship called a performance scholarship, which are awarded to artists, performers or athletes who have excelled and performed at a national or international level. It wasn't a full ride, but it was certainly a nice sum to subtract off that bill each year.

I think the personal development and experiences they have from learning the joy and the disappointment of high level team sport is very valuable. He has developed leadership skills from this, and learned that success only comes with hard work. And he has traveled quite a bit to play and this has been very enriching for him.

I was on the coaching staff for a NZ U14 team that we brought to Minnesota for a tournament about 7 years ago. We structured the trip around winning hockey games, but also to give the kids a memorable trip where they learned and just something that they will remember forever. These kids are all in their 20s now. I occasionally see one of them, and they talk about that trip. We did see a carjacking happen in Houston up close and personal, and on our return trip back we stayed in Anaheim. It was some national champs for high school and jr high school cheerleading. The accommodation we were in was also housing some of the cheer teams, so they were around the pool a lot. The boys were a bit young to be able to close the deal at that point, but the boys with the accents were very popular with the girls. So yeah, those parts were certainly memorable.

Reactions: mike412 and CCHS82
The game against the USSR was the semi-final. The Gold Medal game in 1980 was against Finland.

Well if you are going to bust balls, the game against the Russians wasn't a semi-final either. The top two teams in their groups qualified for the medal round. The game that the teams played against the other team from their group counted in the medal round table, and then the teams played the two teams from the other group. So it was a round robin, not a semi-final, final thing.

The US and Sweden advanced from their group, and when they played each other they tied. The Russians and Fins advanced from their group, and the Russians beat the Fins. So going into the last two rounds of games it was Russia - 2, US - 1, Sweden - 1, Finland - 0.

Then the US beat Russia while Finland and Sweden played to a draw. So going into the last games it was US - 3, Russia - 2, Sweden - 2, Finland - 1.

Then in the last set of games the US beat Finland and the Russians beat the Swedes, so the final round robin standing were:

US - 5
Russia - 4
Sweden - 2
Finland - 1

US gold, Russia silver, Sweden bronze, Finland nothing.

Well if you are going to bust balls, the game against the Russians wasn't a semi-final either. The top two teams in their groups qualified for the medal round. The game that the teams played against the other team from their group counted in the medal round table, and then the teams played the two teams from the other group. So it was a round robin, not a semi-final, final thing.

The US and Sweden advanced from their group, and when they played each other they tied. The Russians and Fins advanced from their group, and the Russians beat the Fins. So going into the last two rounds of games it was Russia - 2, US - 1, Sweden - 1, Finland - 0.

Then the US beat Russia while Finland and Sweden played to a draw. So going into the last games it was US - 3, Russia - 2, Sweden - 2, Finland - 1.

Then in the last set of games the US beat Finland and the Russians beat the Swedes, so the final round robin standing were:

US - 5
Russia - 4
Sweden - 2
Finland - 1

I consider my balls busted.

Yep. I was also going to post unless he went to college that pulled in CBC (Canadian TV) that he, like this JR High kid, watched it on tape delay at 8:00 EST, even though it was played actually at 5:00EST.

US - 5
Russia - 4
Sweden - 2
Finland - 1

Well in today's vernacular it would be almost considered a "semifinal". The point is, it was not for the gold medal that is often now mistaken. "We won the greatest game in history and now are going to lose the gold to a bunch of friggin Finns" is the greatest line describing the feeling of going into the 3rd period of the game against Finland down 2-1.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Well in today's vernacular it would be almost considered a "semifinal". The point is, it was not for the gold medal that is often now mistaken. "We won the greatest game in history and now are going to lose the gold to a bunch of friggin Finns" is the greatest line describing the feeling of going into the 3rd period of the game against Finland down 2-1.
Do you still play hockey?

Maybe almost, but not really? I mean the US could have tied the Russians and still won gold, or silver, or bronze, or nothing at all. So that's not really a semi-final in the way that anyone would consider a semi-final today.

"If you lose this game you'll take it to your grave."

"Your ****in' grave."

I have to agree with Pitt79 here.
My daughter was a soccer player 12 years, and also a ballet dancer. she played mostly rec league and high school, only 2 years did she actually play on a travel team, and she hated it, because the coach acted like it was life and death and you should be thinking about soccer all the time and even quit dancing, after 10th grade she quit travel and just played for her high school and rec in the spring, ironically she beat out a lot of elite travel team kids in high school, and even played one year of college. no, she wasn't elite and never in line for a full scholarship anywhere, she actually was more concerned about having fun and being on a team with friendly girls, but really I doubt she would have gained anything by being serious and intense trying to play on the highest level travel, there was a girl on her high school team that played the same position as her and they were about equal and her mom would come to the games and cuss the rest of the team out for not being any good, because her daughter who played for a team called Maryland United which was some sort of higher level team, in the end though, that girl also played one year of small college and quit. There was only one girl in the league they were in at the time that ended up getting a partial scholarship to U of Maryland, and she was the type that scored like 30 goals every year in high school.

When anyone discusses the best hockey ever played as far as an event, I always reference the 1987 Canada Cup finals. Best of 3 game series between the Soviets and Canadians. It was Mario Lemieux's coming out party in some respects. He was only 22.

3 games. Russia won the first. Canada the next two. All 3 games ended 6-5. Mario scored the game winner in double OT in Game 2, Then the winner in Game 3 with like 1:26 left (accuracy needed because Joe panther would correct if it wasnt)

But it was spectacular hockey. The Soviets had Fetisov, Kasatonov, Larionov, Makarov, Krutov, Kamensky, Kravchuk et al, all in their primes. Canada had Gretzy, Lemieux, Messier, Coffey, Bourque, Hawerchuk, Gartner, Goulet. Murphy and Fuhr all in their primes.
The greatest set up man in history with the greatest goal scorer in history on a 3 on 1 break. Murph along for the ride.

Royalty!!!
427873293_25461708916753325_6335997904800616835_n.jpg

First Canada USSR series was pretty awesome as well. Final game (8?) in USSR was brutal. Players just about went after referees. Eagleson flipped bird to Russian crowd...

2001-02 15,650
2002-03 14,755
2003-04 11,877
2005-06 15,804

Student rush was awesome in the late 90s to early 2000s
Regularly got great seats cheap

Reactions: razzaba
Before Dubas does anything he should fire that bumbling jackass Sulivan. There is zero accountability for bad hockey, and no physicality whatsoever. It is pointless to retool this roster with a coach who's time has passed him by. I think the players tuned him out about 4 years ago.

Another pathetic OT performance. Firing Sullivan won’t change anything for this season. This team is sunk.

Before Dubas does anything he should fire that bumbling jackass Sulivan. There is zero accountability for bad hockey, and no physicality whatsoever. It is pointless to retool this roster with a coach who's time has passed him by. I think the players tuned him out about 4 years ago.
I’m cool with firing Sully. But I honestly don’t think that will change a thing. Will it make Mulkin and Letang 5 years younger Their best days are behind them. Will it make Karlson a better defender ?

The only plus players on this team are Sid and Jake. Rust is a streaky player and has not been good. Overal this team is mediocre at best it’s time to start selling and getting as much as you can for Rust Jake Letang and Karlson Not sure anyone would take Malkin

I doubt Sid is going to want to stick around for a rebuild for the last 3-5 years of his career so he may need to be moved as well

This team might have had a chance to bed good with Sid had Hextal not totally screwed them over

I’m cool with firing Sully. But I honestly don’t think that will change a thing. Will it make Mulkin and Letang 5 years younger Their best days are behind them. Will it make Karlson a better defender ?

The only plus players on this team are Sid and Jake. Rust is a streaky player and has not been good. Overal this team is mediocre at best it’s time to start selling and getting as much as you can for Rust Jake Letang and Karlson Not sure anyone would take Malkin

I doubt Sid is going to want to stick around for a rebuild for the last 3-5 years of his career so he may need to be moved as well

This team might have had a chance to bed good with Sid had Hextal not totally screwed them over
It's well past its expiration date.

Again and again, I say the problem isn't now, it was 2019-23 when they won zero playoff series despite placating the stars and Sullivan for one more run. It never happened. The bill for 15 years of contending came due in 2020 and the Pens never paid. Now it is past due and collecting interest.

IT AINT HAPPENING!! AND IF YOU CANT TRADE THE CORE, THEN YOU HAVE TO FIRE SULLIVAN!!! Just doing the same thing....it reminds me of the Steelers and Pirates and their content to be mediocre. They need to play a different way (trap) and they need someone who stop valuing 5'9 165lb guys over guys who can deliver a check and go to the net occasionally or clear the net on defense. My god, this franchise is the definition of insanity!!!!

Reactions: Pittisit4me
It's well past its expiration date.

Again and again, I say the problem isn't now, it was 2019-23 when they won zero playoff series despite placating the stars and Sullivan for one more run. It never happened. The bill for 15 years of contending came due in 2020 and the Pens never paid. Now it is past due and collecting interest.

IT AINT HAPPENING!! AND IF YOU CANT TRADE THE CORE, THEN YOU HAVE TO FIRE SULLIVAN!!! Just doing the same thing....it reminds me of the Steelers and Pirates and their content to be mediocre. They need to play a different way (trap) and they need someone who stop valuing 5'9 165lb guys over guys who can deliver a check and go to the net occasionally or clear the net on defense. My god, this franchise is the definition of insanity!!!!
Man aint that the truth. Heres another one, how about plunking carter in front of the net on the PP and let him screen the goalie and use his great hands to tip pucks and get rebounds. Hes done that on the second unit at times but put him with the first unit. Drop Malkin off the PP. Go with Sid, Letang, Karlson, Carter and Jake or Rust.

But even those changes including dumping Sully is not going to make this team a playoff team. They are too old slow and soft. Its time to build for the future.

Man aint that the truth. Heres another one, how about plunking carter in front of the net on the PP and let him screen the goalie and use his great hands to tip pucks and get rebounds. Hes done that on the second unit at times but put him with the first unit. Drop Malkin off the PP. Go with Sid, Letang, Karlson, Carter and Jake or Rust.

But even those changes including dumping Sully is not going to make this team a playoff team. They are too old slow and soft. Its time to build for the future.
I have been saying this all year. Carter is on the roster. He can't skate. But neither could Hornquist (not well) or Johan Franzen or going all the way back to Tim Kerr. Get his big butt out there, he has goal scorer pedigree. I can't believe they won't do this. Oh sure, he gets 20 seconds of mopup 2nd PP role. But take off whoever I don't care from PP1 and put Carter in front of the net.

It is coaching malfeasance of the highest order.

I have been saying this all year. Carter is on the roster. He can't skate. But neither could Hornquist (not well) or Johan Franzen or going all the way back to Tim Kerr. Get his big butt out there, he has goal scorer pedigree. I can't believe they won't do this. Oh sure, he gets 20 seconds of mopup 2nd PP role. But take off whoever I don't care from PP1 and put Carter in front of the net.

I think we know why they wont do it...........his initials are IM.

Here is an article discussing GM Dubas's press conference today regarding a myriad of Penguin issues ...... a video of the 25+ minute press conference plus a synopsis is on there ....... take a look ..... have to run but I'll give some opinions later, will be interested in what you guys think ....

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/2/21...-nhl-rumors-penguins-power-play-mike-sullivan

Here is an article discussing GM Dubas's press conference today regarding a myriad of Penguin issues ...... a video of the 25+ minute press conference plus a synopsis is on there ....... take a look ..... have to run but I'll give some opinions later, will be interested in what you guys think ....

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/2/21...-nhl-rumors-penguins-power-play-mike-sullivan
This organization right now seems half like the Steelers with their staleness and unwilling to change direction and the Pirates with abject incompetency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT