ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

That was a nice win last night. So is Jarry is on thin ice?

What is the thought of shipping him off via trade in the offseason and giving Ned a chance at the #1? Or is he projected as more of a solid #2?

Yowzers! I thought the old legs were kicking in at 3-1 to NJ. Lots of grit and no quit. For once, the Penguinos are overcoming the 2 goal deficit.
I'm off this week and listening to the Pens radio broadcast today and yesterday as I'm harvesting the hops and pickling and making sauce with bucket loads of jalapenos and chilis.
Mearsie and the 29'er are great. Entertaining, homer but honest broadcast. Really enjoying this, and getting stuff done too.
Got in trouble though. Wife is making work phonecalls and I'm yelling "f yeah baby!". Got sent outside from the kitchen. I'm out in the barn now.

They didn't play great tonight until the 3rd period.

That 3rd period looked like what several teams have done to them this year.
Fair enough. They were gritty enough to keep it close when they could have folded. They killed off some penalties in critical situations in both games. And clutch goaltending.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
And how good is St Ivany playing. Honestly think the Pens are better with the recent roster changes.
I like what St. Ivany has shown so far as well ...... has some size, strong on the battles along the boards, very impressed with his positional play in the defensive zone (always in the right place), makes simple/smart plays on breakouts, very solid skater who has kept up well with the speed of the NHL ...... has been a little hesitant offensively as one might expect at this point but he is gaining more confidence in his overall game every night ...... also like Shea and Ludvig ..... Shea is 27 y/o but overall some solid younger defensemen ....... Puustinen and DOC look like they are young solid NHL players and Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, and Poulin have a chance to stick with the team next year ...... also interested to see how Ponomarvi, Kouvinen, and Yager develop over the next couple years ..... all young forwards ....

What moves will Dubas make over the summer ? ..... will be interesting to see.

Did we see the future Pens goaltenders dressed for the game tonight (Ned and the Kid) ?

Last edited:
Penguins have to go at least 6-1 in last 7 but have to win games against WAS, DET , and NYI , all of which are ahead of the Penguins for the last wild card.

Penguins have to go at least 6-1 in last 7 but have to win games against WAS, DET , and NYI , all of which are ahead of the Penguins for the last wild card.
Might come down to the very last game against the Islanders if they can ride Ned and keep Malkin motivated.

I like what St. Ivany has shown so far as well ...... has some size, strong on the battles along the boards, very impressed with his positional play in the defensive zone (always in the right place), makes simple/smart plays on breakouts, very solid skater who has kept up well with the speed of the NHL ...... has been a little hesitant offensively as one might expect at this point but he is gaining more confidence in his overall game every night ...... also like Shea and Ludvig ..... Shea is 27 y/o but overall some solid younger defensemen ....... Puustinen and DOC look like they are young solid NHL players and Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, and Poulin have a chance to stick with the team next year ...... also interested to see how Ponomarvi, Kouvinen, and Yager develop over the next couple years ..... all young forwards ....

What moves will Dubas make over the summer ? ..... will be interesting to see.

Did we see the future Pens goaltenders dressed for the game tonight (Ned and the Kid) ?
Yeah St. Ivany is looking alot like John Marino when he came to the Pens. Just solid. And what a horrible trade that was. I also really like DOC. I think he is blossoming into a really good player. Pustinen also looks like he is a keeper. I see nothing from Poulin, but will be interested in some of the young guys they got for Jake.

Hey, if they are going to blow the lottery pick, then might as well make the playoffs, right?

Sid looks highly motivated and it is good to see Geno arrive at the party.

Yeah St. Ivany is looking alot like John Marino when he came to the Pens. Just solid. And what a horrible trade that was. I also really like DOC. I think he is blossoming into a really good player. Pustinen also looks like he is a keeper. I see nothing from Poulin, but will be interested in some of the young guys they got for Jake.

Hey, if they are going to blow the lottery pick, then might as well make the playoffs, right?

Sid looks highly motivated and it is good to see Geno arrive at the party.
The "Big Boys" are playing well which is obviously a huge help but in addition ....

- Brian Rust is playing maybe his best hockey ever ...... he has been great.

- Bunting is no Jake but he has given the Pens something they have needed/been missing ...... grit, forecheck, net area presence (getting the dirty goals), solid defensively.

- I wouldn't downplay the contributions Lars Eller is making to the team on and off the ice as well ...... a real pro who is playing very well in his role.

- As far as the goalies, both TJ and Ned played well the 1st half of the season and both overall have played poorly the 2nd half until about 3 weeks ago when Ned started playing well to very well and TJ has continued to play poorly ...... have to ride the hot hand and so have to play Ned and hope he continues his good play and doesn't get that awful GI virus that is running through the team presently ...... no further back to back games so if Ned's play warrants keeping him in the lineup he should be able to comfortably do that ....... question will be what to do about the goalie situation in the off season ...... I and others on here said after last season that it was fine to try and replace Jarry (he was an UFA) if they could get someone better at an affordable price but if they ended up re-signing him that a mild to modest raise with a shorter term contract was advisable ..... it ended up that there really wasn't any other free agent better and they couldn't make a trade for someone better so they re-signed TJ but at a big raise and longer term ...... right now that contract isn't looking so great (I think TJ is somewhere around the 10th to 12th highest paid goalie and is playing for the entire year as a 19th ranked goalie but fading in the 2nd half of the season as usual for him) and I'm not sure how easy it would be to trade him now with his contract ..... in addition , Ned is an UFA and will be due for a raise (and although he is playing very well at present, he is playing like about the 29th ranked goalie for the entire year) ...... Joel Blomqvist is looking more like the long range solution but may need another season at WBS ...... so a lot of variables with the goalies that need to be taken into consideration (what can they get for TJ in a trade, what will it take to re-sign Ned, can Ned outplay TJ for an entire year if he plays starter minutes/games, when will Blomqvist be ready to play in the NHL, what goalies will be available in Free Agency, what goalies can be reasonably be obtained in a trade, salary cap issues must be taken into consideration, etc.) ..... the off season should be an interesting one for Dubas and the Pens and what to do with the goalies will be one of those interesting issues.

- Yeah agree with you, Poulin is going to have to prove himself one way or the other soon ...... he hasn't played a lot of hockey the last two seasons with mental health issues last year and physical injuries causing him to miss 2-2.5 months of this season which has likely delayed his development but in 36 games at WBS this year he has played well ...... he played 3 games recently with the Pens and I thought was at least solid the 1st 2 games and definitely played poorly the 3rd game ...... if he comes into camp next fall in good shape and does well, I'd rather see him get a 20+ game look with the Pittsburgh Pens than guys like Harkins, Nieto, Zohorna, Koppanen, Hinostroza, and maybe even Acciari at 2M/year ...... give him an extended look next year if he earns it in camp before they give up on him (obviously if they make trades this summer, Poulin could be an asset the Pens give away).

- I'm impressed that the Pens haven't given up on the season and have shown no quit but it is still unlikely they make the playoffs ...... right now they are given a 15.1% chance of making the playoffs ...... 7.9% chance of WC2 and 7.2% chance of 3rd place in the Metro ....... the game tomorrow against the Caps is obviously huge and if they can win, their playoff chances will get another significant boost, lose and their playoff chances will plummet.

The length of that Jarry contract is going to be a problem trying to dump him.
I was amazed at them giving him so many years! Huge mistake by the GM in my opinion.
They'll have to eat a significant portion of that contract to get someone to take him off their hands.
It's a shame because he just got us out from under some worthless dead weight, then he goes and piles new dead weight on!

Getting out of the car I'm pretty sure I heard Tyler Kennedy on The Fan say something to the effect of 'the Pens can get many picks for Jarry". Huh? I may have heard wrong and I should have stayed in the car to see if he received any push back or explained that one if I heard him right.
If anyone wants him,the Pens may have to add a pick or more to sweeten the deal depending on how much of that contract they're willing to eat imo.
One of those we'll give you a second with him and you send us a 3rd and 4th and a bag of pucks type of things.

Getting out of the car I'm pretty sure I heard Tyler Kennedy on The Fan say something to the effect of 'the Pens can get many picks for Jarry". Huh? I may have heard wrong and I should have stayed in the car to see if he received any push back or explained that one if I heard him right.
If anyone wants him,the Pens may have to add a pick or more to sweeten the deal depending on how much of that contract they're willing to eat imo.
One of those we'll give you a second with him and you send us a 3rd and 4th and a bag of pucks type of things.
When........Edmonton or Toronto fall short in the playoffs because of goaltending, don't be surprised.

When........Edmonton or Toronto fall short in the playoffs because of goaltending, don't be surprised.

I'm not following the logic.

They'll pony up multiple draft picks for Jarry when Ned is a free agent....
? (And we dont know who else will be on the block over the off season)
Is Jarry any better than Ned period right now,let alone worth giving up picks when not necessary ?
How far has Jarry ever got us in the playoffs ?
He's 2-6 with a GAA of 3 and sv % of .891.

Samsonov is 5-10 with a GAA of 3.06 and sv % .902 playoff lifetime.

I don't consider that an upgrade. And the Edmonton goalie has a similar save % to Jarry at .883 although a 3.68 in the playoffs.

They may need an upgrade but would Jarry be an upgrade ?
Not in my opinion.
Statistically they are the same person pretty much.

I don't think Dubas will trade him right now anyway for a few reasons. Number 1 his value has probably never been lower,and 2,no way does he want on his resume one of his very first signings in Pittsburgh he gave up Jarry for a bunch of nothing unless he gets an offer that would knock his socks off. Who would do that I don't know but I've seen GMs in all sports make what I'd consider bone head moves and usually that's the way it plays out. Maybe Hextall gets another GM job.
He'll keep him and see if next year he can get it together if he gets with a good goaltending coach over the off-season.
Similar to Henry Davis going to Florida with some pitchers and Mike Rabelo working on his receiving skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPKY
The length of that Jarry contract is going to be a problem trying to dump him.
I was amazed at them giving him so many years! Huge mistake by the GM in my opinion.
They'll have to eat a significant portion of that contract to get someone to take him off their hands.
It's a shame because he just got us out from under some worthless dead weight, then he goes and piles new dead weight on!
The lenth was bad enough. Adding a NMC to it makes moving him nearly impossible.

• Angry
Reactions: FreeportPanther
The lenth was bad enough. Adding a NMC to it makes moving him nearly impossible.
Dan ...... agree that the amount and length of Jarry's contract looks like a problem .... but he does not have a no movement clause (NMC), rather he has a modified no trade clause (m-NTC) in his contract which means they can send him to WBS, waive him, and also trade him to any team except 12 teams that he lists that he won't go to (so there are 19 teams they can trade him to).

Dan ...... agree that the amount and length of Jarry's contract looks like a problem .... but he does not have a no movement clause (NMC), rather he has a modified no trade clause (m-NTC) in his contract which means they can send him to WBS, waive him, and also trade him to any team except 12 teams that he lists that he won't go to (so there are 19 teams they can trade him to).
The fact that Dubas A. signed him to that contract and then B. allowed a partial NMC is utterly ridiculous. Jarry is in absolutely no position to be demanding that in contract negotiations. I can see in very rare instances, like he was born in Pittsburgh, grew up bleeding black n gold and says he will never be traded to Philly.

Dubas should have told Jarry to hit the bricks when that topic was even brought up.

Resign Ned, take what you can get for Jarry, sign Fleury for a 1-year farewell contract in a backup role to take some games from Ned, and prep Blom to be the future goalie after 1 more year in WBS.

Dubas should have told Jarry to hit the bricks when that topic was even brought up.

25% of all NHL players have some form of no trade or no movement clauses in their contract, and considering a player has to be in the league seven years or be 27 years old to even be allowed to have one, the percentage of guys who are qualified to have one and do have one surely has to be at least close to 50%, if not more. It's a pretty standard thing in NHL contracts these days.

Anyone on Comcast watching the game? What channel? The pirates are on 843 (Pittsburgh sports net)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT