ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

If the caps lose in OT and the pens win, Pens would win tiebreaker vs them (RW’s)?

And wings score with 7 seconds left.
Unreal......
Flyers going empty net against Caps.

This isn't our year

Detroit scores with 3 seconds left. (Perrone). Ref gave them an icing call that I didn’t agree with. Gave them a face off and a goal.

Reactions: bwh05 and CCHS82
They knew they had to win out, they just didn't play smart against Boston or get the goaltending to win that game.

So, what do they do next year in goal?
Sign Ned? How much???
Bring up the kid?
Who wants Jarry with that albatross contract??

This team is locked into a miserable position with aging stars with no movement clauses, a millstone goalie, and no cap space.

Sign Ned? How much???
Bring up the kid?

This team is locked into a miserable position with aging stars with no movement clauses, a millstone goalie, and no cap space.
Sully needed to go. I was listening to a talk show today and if I didn’t know better I would have thought they were talking about any of the Steelers last several seasons. If they weren’t so bad in OT or on the PP they’d have clinched a playoff birth 3 weeks ago. That’s coaching.

Reactions: pittbb80
I will never understand the thought process of having your top 2 RD that will probably average 40-50 minutes a night knowing they can turn into human turnover machines at any time.
That may have worked 10-15 years ago when the core had the ability to run and gun to offset it.
This will be an interesting off season.
Dubas is not for retaining salary so I don't think you're moving Karlsson at this point.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Sully needed to go. I was listening to a talk show today and if I didn’t know better I would have thought they were talking about any of the Steelers last several seasons. If they weren’t so bad ind OT or on the PP they’d have clinched a playoff birth 3 weeks ago. That’s coaching.
They should bring back Michael Tierren. That would shake them up!!
Old guys filing retirement papers in a hurry!

Sign Ned? How much???
Bring up the kid?

Everyone says that we should trade Jarry.
Good luck with that! Sure you can trade him, but it will cost plenty. We will have to agree to pay part of his salary each year, and also include either a high draft pick (which we have little of) or a good young prospect (which we have little of.) And I think he has a NTC also. We should probably assume he’ll be here next year.

Reactions: ONGB
They should bring back Michael Tierren. That would shake them up!!
Old guys filing retirement papers in a hurry!

I had an interesting bathroom conversation with Therrien and Shero when the Pens practiced at Jay's Sportsbar re Angelo Esposito since I don't know the meaning of the word "shy".

The Pens had just drafted Esposito after he fell like a rock in the draft.
So I asked Shero,Ray,can Esposito play wing since we have Crosby, Malkin,and Staal up the middle for the foreseeable future.
Shero looks to Therrien and says,hey Mike,give Patrick (Roy,his junior coach for the Remparts ) a call and see if he'll give him some time on the wing lol.

It still didn't help him but EJ came in and for a brief moment in time I felt like I was in the Player Development Department for the Pens lol.

Everyone says that we should trade Jarry.
Good luck with that! Sure you can trade him, but it will cost plenty. We will have to agree to pay part of his salary each year, and also include either a high draft pick (which we have little of) or a good young prospect (which we have little of.) And I think he has a NTC also. We should probably assume he’ll be here next year.

This is the age old quandary of everyone wants to trade their poo for the other teams gold. You're 100% right. At some point you either sell extremely low with all kinds of sweeteners or hold your nose another year to see if you can catch lightning in a bottle.
Unfortunately our main guys are staring down 40,not 30. Are Malkin and Letang going to be better a year older ?
It's pretty much Sid,Rust,DOC,Bunting and maybe get lucky with a few of Pulijojarvi,Bemstrom,Puustinen,and Rakell.

I think it's a similar theme with Karlsson.

It's amazing to think that maybe one or two less turnovers or OT losses is the difference between last years 91 and this years 88,89,or 90.

Just a few less pucks being fished out of our net after cross ice pass attempts gone awry in our own end. Plays that I would have been flipping out on if my high school JV kids tried to make when I was coaching.

Crowley laid it out monday morning. I don't remember off the top of my head but he dropped about 10 games in which the Pens either let a 2 goal lead go and/or performed miserably on the PP. Off the top of my head,

losing @ Calgary with a 2 goal lead.
losing @ Colorado in OT with a 4 goal lead
losing @ Columbus in OT
losing @ Ottawa in OT
losing @ Toronto in OT

These are all recent games. This is an ok team that got hot too late in the season.

Dubas has some serious work this off season.

Notable UFA's:

Carter off the books will give us $3 million
Ned, $1.5 mil
Shea, $775 mil
and a few other guys in the $500-$850 range

Have to sign Ned and Shea.

St. Ivany is an RFA, would like to see them tie him up. P.O. and Puustinen are RFA's. Not sure if I'd work to hard to keep P.O. as he's been just meh. Puustined was decent.

The real work is gunna be how to handle Jarry. Like a few of you good people have said, I would ship him off. He's owed $20 over the next 4 years which could be a steal but could be an anchor. I wasn't a fan of the deal last year, I woulda been ok with a 1 year $5 mil show me deal.

I think there is no way Dubas deals Karlsson, maybe, he can convince him to restructure?

I think Geno rides his out, no way they resign him. 2 years left
Letang, woof on his deal. That should have been a Geno like deal in terms of length. Maybe he'll want to go home to Les Habitants to finish out? Of course would have to waive that NMC.
Graves, give him 1 more season to see if he can find it, then start looking for suitors just to dump salary for little return.
Rakell, woof. Probably nothing can be done there
Reilly Smith has 1 more season left, Dubas can probably move him.

I really like the Shea and St. Ivany duo. Would love to see them here for a few more years. In fact I would love to see 5 of 6 dman just like them.

Good thing is Sid will resign and a good chance from what is being reported he will extend at a team friendly rate.

It's gunna be very interesting

Based on all of these contacts, I think bargain bin shopping could be on the agenda for FA signings. There are some tantalizing and realistic options in terms of salary but Dubas would have to be magic man to create the space.

I found this link that helped me put this post together.

And I guess the final thing is buyouts. I'm not sure how exactly they work, I would assume if done, completely cuts all ties to include salary cap obligations? FSG has oodles of money, possibly Dubas could be given a blank check for 1 player to buyout?

Crowley laid it out monday morning. I don't remember off the top of my head but he dropped about 10 games in which the Pens either let a 2 goal lead go and/or performed miserably on the PP. Off the top of my head,

losing @ Calgary with a 2 goal lead.
losing @ Colorado in OT with a 4 goal lead
losing @ Columbus in OT
losing @ Ottawa in OT
losing @ Toronto in OT

These are all recent games. This is an ok team that got hot too late in the season.

Dubas has some serious work this off season.

Notable UFA's:

Carter off the books will give us $3 million
Ned, $1.5 mil
Shea, $775 mil
and a few other guys in the $500-$850 range

Have to sign Ned and Shea.

St. Ivany is an RFA, would like to see them tie him up. P.O. and Puustinen are RFA's. Not sure if I'd work to hard to keep P.O. as he's been just meh. Puustined was decent.

The real work is gunna be how to handle Jarry. Like a few of you good people have said, I would ship him off. He's owed $20 over the next 4 years which could be a steal but could be an anchor. I wasn't a fan of the deal last year, I woulda been ok with a 1 year $5 mil show me deal.

I think there is no way Dubas deals Karlsson, maybe, he can convince him to restructure?

I think Geno rides his out, no way they resign him. 2 years left
Letang, woof on his deal. That should have been a Geno like deal in terms of length. Maybe he'll want to go home to Les Habitants to finish out? Of course would have to waive that NMC.
Graves, give him 1 more season to see if he can find it, then start looking for suitors just to dump salary for little return.
Rakell, woof. Probably nothing can be done there
Reilly Smith has 1 more season left, Dubas can probably move him.

I really like the Shea and St. Ivany duo. Would love to see them here for a few more years. In fact I would love to see 5 of 6 dman just like them.

Good thing is Sid will resign and a good chance from what is being reported he will extend at a team friendly rate.

It's gunna be very interesting

Based on all of these contacts, I think bargain bin shopping could be on the agenda for FA signings. There are some tantalizing and realistic options in terms of salary but Dubas would have to be magic man to create the space.

I found this link that helped me put this post together.

And I guess the final thing is buyouts. I'm not sure how exactly they work, I would assume if done, completely cuts all ties to include salary cap obligations? FSG has oodles of money, possibly Dubas could be given a blank check for 1 player to buyout?
Not to beat a dead horse but when you look at the losses a lot of the problems comes back to coaching. Undisciplined sloppy play ? Coaching. Poor power play ? Coaching. Crappy OT performance. Coaching

Either these guys have tuned sully out and or the style of play he has them playing only works when you have Uber talented offensive players who can out score the other team and a goalie who can help make up for many of the mistakes. Clearly they are not as skilled as they once were and the goalie performance is not at the level they need to steal games

I think these guys have a lot of pride and have to be tired of losing. Bring in a new coach and maybe they start listening and correct those areas. Shore up those issues and this team is easily a 100 point team. Maybe not a cup contender but for sure a dark horse.

Not to beat a dead horse but when you look at the losses a lot of the problems comes back to coaching. Undisciplined sloppy play ? Coaching. Poor power play ? Coaching. Crappy OT performance. Coaching

Either these guys have tuned sully out and or the style of play he has them playing only works when you have Uber talented offensive players who can out score the other team and a goalie who can help make up for many of the mistakes. Clearly they are not as skilled as they once were and the goalie performance is not at the level they need to steal games

I think these guys have a lot of pride and have to be tired of losing. Bring in a new coach and maybe they start listening and correct those areas. Shore up those issues and this team is easily a 100 point team. Maybe not a cup contender but for sure a dark horse.
I wish Dubas and FSG hadn’t committed to him mid season. Plus he has that extension that starts offer next season. Maybe FSG can give Dubas 2 blank checks for a buyout of Sullivan.

At the least, his whole bench should not be retained.

I love how everyone blames the Goalie. I can remember the Pens losing alot of games scoring 0,1 or 2 goals, and their PP going 0fer.

If the Pens even had an average PP they would have been safely in the playoffs. If the Pens even focused on 3 on 3 OT, they likely would have 4-5 more points.

It's the same team. A year older. And we think Sullivan is going to have the answer? This wasn't a "this year" problem, it has been a problem for years.

My favorite, and damn he is still great and one of the best of all time, but after the Boston game, Sid says "we have to learn from this". How many times has he said that after a bad loss? The problem is, they aren't willing to learn. The coach isn't willing to "play a different way" instead of "playing the right way". The "right way" is what works. What they do is not working and hasn't worked. And it will not work with another year of age.

Reactions: pittbb80
I love how everyone blames the Goalie. I can remember the Pens losing alot of games scoring 0,1 or 2 goals, and their PP going 0fer.

If the Pens even had an average PP they would have been safely in the playoffs. If the Pens even focused on 3 on 3 OT, they likely would have 4-5 more points.

It's the same team. A year older. And we think Sullivan is going to have the answer? This wasn't a "this year" problem, it has been a problem for years.

My favorite, and damn he is still great and one of the best of all time, but after the Boston game, Sid says "we have to learn from this". How many times has he said that after a bad loss? The problem is, they aren't willing to learn. The coach isn't willing to "play a different way" instead of "playing the right way". The "right way" is what works. What they do is not working and hasn't worked. And it will not work with another year of age.
to be fair to Sid, what else to you expect him to say......we have a bunch of clowns who make horrible decisions and would rather make a pretty pass than take a shot or make a simple safe play...........

But here is the dilemma as long as Sid is around there's no way they blow the thing up. Theres no way at this point in his career hes going to want to play for a team that is rebuilding. So if you truly want to start over, you need to trade Sid who would get a kings ransom. Then you trade whoever else you can get something for and buy out guys like Geno. Clearly that is not going to happen.

The alternative is to say if we can get these guys to play to their strengths, stop trying to make high risk highlight reel passes that lead to TOs and goals, simplify the game, shoot more etc. and add a few guys in Free agency maybe they can get to 100 points and win a series or two. But that doesnt happen with Sully on board. However if Sully is still leading the charge, no matter what personnel changes they make, we'll see the same result next year.

to be fair to Sid, what else to you expect him to say......we have a bunch of clowns who make horrible decisions and would rather make a pretty pass than take a shot or make a simple safe play...........

But here is the dilemma as long as Sid is around there's no way they blow the thing up. Theres no way at this point in his career hes going to want to play for a team that is rebuilding. So if you truly want to start over, you need to trade Sid who would get a kings ransom. Then you trade whoever else you can get something for and buy out guys like Geno. Clearly that is not going to happen.

The alternative is to say if we can get these guys to play to their strengths, stop trying to make high risk highlight reel passes that lead to TOs and goals, simplify the game, shoot more etc. and add a few guys in Free agency maybe they can get to 100 points and win a series or two. But that doesnt happen with Sully on board. However if Sully is still leading the charge, no matter what personnel changes they make, we'll see the same result next year.
Sid is obviously a lead by example guy. And obviously I am not privvy to behind closed doors, but I kind of wished he would just unload on some of his "buddies".

What is scary, this is two seasons in a row where Sid has been healthy all year. And they blew those years.

And Sid, who has that kind of cache, should be going to management and say "hey this is not working".

Penguins should consider buying out Jarry's contract but I don't know if Dubas will die on that sword this quickly, a decision he made.
You don't have to resign Ned , if they can get someone else in here but if he stays under 3 million I guess keep him.

Penguins should consider buying out Jarry's contract but I don't know if Dubas will die on that sword this quickly, a decision he made.
Starkey, this morning, made a credible argument that someone will be interested in Jarry. He has good career numbers, led the league in shutouts this year and played behind a defense that everyone knows can be a sieve. No need to buy his contract out. There are better candidates for a buyout on the team and, if I'm not mistaken, buyouts are limited.

I saw a tweet from Jesse Marshall last night where he said if the PP was league average, they would've scored 14 more goals, which translates to 4 more wins based on standard metrics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT