ADVERTISEMENT

OT:: the Johnson dropped touchdown and missed coaches challenge

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Tomlin brought an interesting angle that wasn’t discussed. That was a scoring play and knowing that, he felt the refs were certain it wasn’t a catch, otherwise they could have called it a TD and had it go to automatic review.

That should be a directive for all officials. They should always call a play like that a TD so that it gets reviewed.

They do this in soccer. If ref sees a play as offside, he lets the play go in case a goal is scored or the play ends. That way a missed call doesn’t ruin a good play and VAR can correct it.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
time to hire someone to sit in the coaches box and tell tomlin when to and when not too throw the red flag..

this is a no-brainer yet we dont do it. Tomlin has a worse success percentage on challenges than i had of pulling wool out of a bar in my college days yet they wont hire someone to watch replays in the coach's booth.

there are enough stoppages and replays in the game as is, we dont need to add more.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
time to hire someone to sit in the coaches box and tell tomlin when to and when not too throw the red flag..

this is a no-brainer yet we dont do it. Tomlin has a worse success percentage on challenges than i had of pulling wool out of a bar in my college days yet they wont hire someone to watch replays in the coach's booth.

there are enough stoppages and replays in the game as is, we dont need to add more.
There are always 3-4 guys in the booth watching- in general, do they not notice? Do they have to be tasked with only that?

There are always 3-4 guys in the booth watching- in general, do they not notice? Do they have to be tasked with only that?
well the 3-4 guys apparently missed this one and tomlin is about 1 for 85 over the last few years on challenges so whatever they are doing, it's not working..

and yes, believe it or not, nfl teams have dudes that solely do this. Talk about a dream freakin job. i think the former OSU coach did it for a year. Tressel did it for colts. They call it a "Consultant" but only thing they are consulting is if the guy caught the ball or got his 2nd foot down.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I also had flashbacks to the Jesse James "drop" vs. NE in 2017, they changed the rule because of that, and this was kind of the same play, 2-3 steps and in the end zone with the ball, then it pops out.

well the 3-4 guys apparently missed this one and tomlin is about 1 for 85 over the last few years on challenges so whatever they are doing, it's not working..

and yes, believe it or not, nfl teams have dudes that solely do this. Talk about a dream freakin job. i think the former OSU dude did it for a year.
I looked it up, 38 for 91 on his career.

I agree, what does it take to have one guy looking at this every play?

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

wow, im shocked it's that high, no kidding. i thought it would be way worse. i wish i was 38 for 91 in my college days, that analogy seems silly now in hindsight..

It’s definitely a no brainer, any and every team should have a guy in the booth with one of his specific duties being to watch replays for challenges. And for those that constantly say that Rooney is cheap and has one of the smallest staffs, that’s still not an excuse for not having someone in that role.

The same articles that talked about Tomlin’s reason for not challenging also said that Flores and one other were the guys that did that last year but with Flores gone this year, there wasn’t someone else that Tomlin trusted in that role.

The above has got to be one of the stupidest excuses I’ve heard, can’t find someone on your staff that you can trust to make those reviews??

Tomlin brought an interesting angle that wasn’t discussed. That was a scoring play and knowing that, he felt the refs were certain it wasn’t a catch, otherwise they could have called it a TD and had it go to automatic review.

That should be a directive for all officials. They should always call a play like that a TD so that it gets reviewed.

They do this in soccer. If ref sees a play as offside, he lets the play go in case a goal is scored or the play ends. That way a missed call doesn’t ruin a good play and VAR can correct it.
agreed...just like the 'sure looks like he was down whistle swallow' fumble play on, which as it turns out reared its head the very next play...

That was a scoring play and knowing that, he felt the refs were certain it wasn’t a catch, otherwise they could have called it a TD and had it go to automatic review... Sounds a lot like a SMF response when he is utterly unable to say he was incorrect about something but instead doubles down..

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Exactly. In spite of what Tomlin says, doesn’t change the fact that he is 38/91. During the presser it was the first thing I thought of as a response one of those jabronis in the media could have followed up with. Tomlin says he has a guy in the booth and it’s not always the same guy. Well, whatever the case, it’s not working.

how does 38/91 compare to all other teams over the past 15 years? I would love to see that stat.

Exactly. In spite of what Tomlin says, doesn’t change the fact that he is 38/91. During the presser it was the first thing I thought of as a response one of those jabronis in the media could have followed up with. Tomlin says he has a guy in the booth and it’s not always the same guy. Well, whatever the case, it’s not working.

how does 38/91 compare to all other teams over the past 15 years? I would love to see that stat.
It's pretty easy, fans see it watching the TV! Often just watching the network broadcast you can even get the opinion of the ''rules expert" in time to challenge as well. Not that they're always right, but they are a resource you could use for free.

That wasn’t even close to being a non TD.

really? Man, i thought there was little chance if any that this call would be reversed if we challenged..
Yeah me too. In spite of what Mean Gene Steratore said, I wouldn’t have trusted them to reverse it. Maybe they would have but it wasn’t a guarantee.

really? Man, i thought there was little chance if any that this call would be reversed if we challenged..
By RULE when his second foot was down with CONTROL, in the end zone, it was a TD and there was no need to survive the ground. That rule had no effect after he took 3 steps with control IN THE END ZONE. That ref should know that.

By RULE when his second foot was down with CONTROL, in the end zone, it was a TD and there was no need to survive the ground. That rule had no effect after he took 3 steps with control IN THE END ZONE. That ref should know that.
Wasn’t it real similar to the Browns TD against the Steelers the week before, where the Steeler defender knocked the ball out but only after the WR took a couple steps so it was ruled a TD.

That was really really bad by Tomlin. You're on offense! You have the entire play clock to review that play and challenge. Horrible coaching that will be forgotten because the team won

Is Tomlin allowed to see the stadium jumbo screen (sarcasm)? Maybe, they didnt replay it?

Different sport but the Pens have one guy watching replay for offsides calls. They’ve been amazingly good at challenging goals as where the play was offsides. Hockey is a much faster sport and offsides calls can be really hard to see.

Yet Mikey T thinks his judgment is better than a dude in the booth who has technology to replay the play and check it pretty quick. Arrogance. Similar to his coaching hires

Is Tomlin allowed to see the stadium jumbo screen (sarcasm)? Maybe, they didnt replay it?
He addressed that in his explanation, said they never showed a good replay on the stadium screen from which to decide whether to challenge and further said that’s not unusual when you’re the visiting team.

Reactions: FireballZ
He addressed that in his explanation, said they never showed a good replay on the stadium screen from which to decide whether to challenge and further said that’s not unusual when you’re the visiting team.
There was zero chance they were going to see it on the screen. There had to be a guy in the booth seeing the feed to make the call. Austin used to be the designated coach watching replays, it was one of the reasons they brought him in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT