ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Mandalorian

I think the first two seasons were good (enough for me to keep watching) with a great payoff at the end of season 2. This season has been meandering along. I think putting Lizzo and Jack Black in that one episode was almost trolling. Just weird, but whatever. The episode this past week was decent. At least the story progressed. I would like to see more of the new villian they introduced, but she has hardly been around since her introduction. Bad pacing and writing. Hopefully the rest of this seaon and then next is an improvement.

And the Rey movie is certainly something nobody has been asking for. It won't do well. Fans are upset because it's clearly a Disney woke driven film, which means that quality will be sacrificed (i.e. the hired a director who doesn't direct movies).
Kathleen Kennedy is destroying Star Wars. I dont think that they got the message, that no one is really excited about a Rey movie. It seems like the last couple episodes of the Mandalorian, are setting up Ahsoka and Thrawn.

I think life support is some hyperbole.

Andor is the best piece of SW media since Empire.
I don’t think it is hyperbole. I mean, if they don’t get this right, who is going to be stupid enough to green light another movie after it?

Kathleen Kennedy is destroying Star Wars. I dont think that they got the message, that no one is really excited about a Rey movie. It seems like the last couple episodes of the Mandalorian, are setting up Ahsoka and Thrawn.
Kennedy has been a train wreck. She had fired Director after director, and in the case of Solo, fired them when 80% of the film was already done. And then the movie lost money. How does a Star Wars movie lose money? I’m surprised she’s still in charge. I don’t get it. If she doesn’t leave sooner, her job is on the line with the next film. Has to be.

I don't disagree with a progressive agenda with more representation. I have a problem with doing so at the expense of the story, which is what Disney has done.... and will continue to do.

Look at who Disney has chosen as the director for the next Rey movie. Why did they choose that person?
There’s representation and then there’s agenda, and level headed people can make the distinction. Representation is fine. Everybody understands that. Every movie is a worldwide project and the studio wants to appeal to the masses all over the world. Look at Rogue One. It was representation on steroids. But it was a good film. If the film was bad, people would be wondering if the studio should have focused more on quality film making instead.

In the case of Rey, they are digging in and shoving a vanilla character down our throat and it might cost them. Unless it’s more of a supporting role to provide linkage to the previous films and then introduce new characters that people will care about.

Stories with heroes work best when following Campbell's hero archetypal pattern...meaning the heros journey stories resonate the best with the audience.

Reactions: HailtoPitt

People really need to ask themselves what is she trying to do? I mean ALMOST NOBODY is asking for a Rey movie. It will likely lose money in a time when Disney is having financial issues. So why??? And then they are giving the movie to a director who is simply not qualified to direct a major motion picture. Why???

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
There’s representation and then there’s agenda, and level headed people can make the distinction. Representation is fine. Everybody understands that. Every movie is a worldwide project and the studio wants to appeal to the masses all over the world. Look at Rogue One. It was representation on steroids. But it was a good film. If the film was bad, people would be wondering if the studio should have focused more on quality film making instead.

In the case of Rey, they are digging in and shoving a vanilla character down our throat and it might cost them. Unless it’s more of a supporting role to provide linkage to the previous films and then introduce new characters that people will care about.

Yes, and the thing is when we call them out for it... then we are considered racists! The truth is almost nobody cares if Star Wars has more female or black or asian or hispanic characters. What people care about is a good stroy and characters who make sense. When they add in an asian chacter who is annoying and "saves" another character in a completely non sensical way, then people are going to criticise that character and the writers, independent of their race.

Disney seems to be trying too hard to 'fix' the issue of representation in film, both on screen and in prominent roles like the Directors chair. That's fine, but they should have respoect for those actors by giving them quality characters, instead of using them as a political prop.

Yes, and the thing is when we call them out for it... then we are considered racists! The truth is almost nobody cares if Star Wars has more female or black or asian or hispanic characters. What people care about is a good stroy and characters who make sense. When they add in an asian chacter who is annoying and "saves" another character in a completely non sensical way, then people are going to criticise that character and the writers, independent of their race.

Disney seems to be trying too hard to 'fix' the issue of representation in film, both on screen and in prominent roles like the Directors chair. That's fine, but they should have respoect for those actors by giving them quality characters, instead of using them as a political prop.
I did not like the “Asian” character you referenced, but it had nothing to do with being racist.

However when you imply they only added an Asian character due to wokeness then yes, you are kind of racist

I don't disagree with a progressive agenda with more representation. I have a problem with doing so at the expense of the story, which is what Disney has done.... and will continue to do.

Look at who Disney has chosen as the director for the next Rey movie. Why did they choose that person?
This is a typically lazy stupid argument from a Rogan fanboy

There is not a minute of the story affected by casting

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I did not like the “Asian” character you referenced, but it had nothing to do with being racist.

However when you imply they only added an Asian character due to wokeness then yes, you are kind of racist

They likely added her character to tick a box, which is fine, but in doing so they should have given the actress a quality character. I think it was more important for Disney to tick boxes then to make a quality product.

Exactly. Daisey is a fine actress. Adam driver is an EXCELLENT actor. The writers dropped the ball but it had nothing to do with being woke

I never said they weren't good actors. What I said is that it was more important for Disney to focus on ticking boxes then it was to hire writers who could create a good product. Want prooof? Look at the recent announcement made by Kathleen Kennedy of the new Rey film. Why did they choose Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy as the director??? Can you answer? Is it becaue she is the most talented directed we've never heard of who has never directed a major movie before, Or....?

They likely added her character to tick a box, which is fine, but in doing so they should have given the actress a quality character. I think it was more important for Disney to tick boxes then to make a quality product.
This is racist. If you don’t understand why I don’t know what to say

In what world, Alderran?

Solo lost money at a time when the brand wasn’t in decline. Marvel movies are barely making money lately. Did Ant Man break even? It was close.

These movies HAVE to make a billion minimum, and with this next one they have to execute.

Since it’ll make a mint - probably anyone

This is racist. If you don’t understand why I don’t know what to say
It is racist. If they aren’t hiring the best person for the job because they want to check a box, it’s absolutely racist.

It is racist. If they aren’t hiring the best person for the job because they want to check a box, it’s absolutely racist.
But why are you and @HailtoPitt assuming they’re checking boxes and not making decisions based on the story they want to tell? Where is @HailtoPitt with this same energy for the dozens and dozens of bad movies made annually with a bunch of white dudes.

It’s no different than the stupid posts here after the new chancellor was hired about “I hope they were the best candidate.” Nobody would post that if it was a white guy hired.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
But why are you and @HailtoPitt assuming they’re checking boxes and not making decisions based on the story they want to tell? Where is @HailtoPitt with this same energy for the dozens and dozens of bad movies made annually with a bunch of white dudes.

It’s no different than the stupid posts here after the new chancellor was hired about “I hope they were the best candidate.” Nobody would post that if it was a white guy hired.

Of course they are checking boxes. Why do you think Kathleen Kennedy hired Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy to direct the new Rey movie? And here's the kicker. I am not against adding diversity. I am more liberal then most here politically. My criticism is that Disney's 'wokeness' appears to be more important then making an actualy good product.

Last edited:

You may have noticed that I was visibly absent from those threads because coming from where she was, I assumed it wasn’t checking a box. She was and is qualified to lead our university. At the same time, I didn’t know how the people at Minnesota felt about losing her, so I couldn’t speak to it and chose to only observe the many threads.

I think HailtoPitt’s point is whoever this person is they put in charge of the next film isn’t exactly qualified to take on such an important job.

Done what with Marvel movies?
The is a Star Wars discussion thread so I won’t take it in a completely different direction of films but if you havent seen the same Disney agenda spilling into the last handful of marvel movies and series then you haven’t paid attention at all.

The is a Star Wars discussion thread so I won’t take it in a completely different direction of films but if you havent seen the same Disney agenda spilling into the last handful of marvel movies and series then you haven’t paid attention at all.
I’d love for some specific examples.

He trained for like a week lol
Vader was absolutely toying with Luke in Empire. Testing him and trying to capture and turn him. Look how he is fighting with one hand, effortlessly parries, and disarms Luke with no effort and is absolutely in control the whole time. Luke is naive and hopelessly outmatched. Not until the end where Luke lands the glancing blow does Vader become serious and then Luke looses a hand 2 seconds later.

The most disappointing thing about Dis Wars is the terrible squandering of all the actors portraying classic characters: from the sequel trilogy to cringe worthy lost opportunities in Boba Fett and Obi Wan. Completely wasted opportunities. The sequel trilogy was done in by a rush to make back their investment, idiotically not waiting until a coherent, sensible, and compelling story arch could be developed, and creating a slew of unmemorable characters that had no on-screen comradery or chemistry and weren't developed enough to care about. While many of what has been churned out has had flashes of potential, Rogue One and Andor are the only completely decent things they've made.

Last edited:
Vader was absolutely toying with Luke in Empire. Look how he is fighting with one hand, effortlessly parries, and disarms him with no effort. Luke is naive and hopelessly outmatched. Vader is trying to capture and turn him, not defeat him.

The most disappointing thing about Dis Wars is the terrible squandering of all the actors portraying classic characters: from the sequel trilogy to cringe worthy lost opportunities in Boba Fett and Obi Wan. Completely wasted opportunities. The sequel trilogy was done in by a rush to make back their investment, idiotically did not wait until a coherent, sensical, and compelling story arch could be developed, and creating a slew of unmemorable characters that had no on-screen comradery or chemistry and weren't developed enough to care about. While many of what has been churned out has had flashes of potential, Rogue One and Andor are the only completely decent things they've made.

I mean, I could probably sit down with writers and in about 5 minutes come up with a general outline for a coherent and sensical story arc. The question is... why didn't happen? What was Kathleen Kennedy busy doing instead?

Vader was absolutely toying with Luke in Empire. Testing him and trying to capture and turn him. Look how he is fighting with one hand, effortlessly parries, and disarms Luke with no effort and is absolutely in control the whole time. Luke is naive and hopelessly outmatched. Not until the end where Luke lands the glancing blow does Vader become serious and then Luke looses a hand 2 seconds later.

The most disappointing thing about Dis Wars is the terrible squandering of all the actors portraying classic characters: from the sequel trilogy to cringe worthy lost opportunities in Boba Fett and Obi Wan. Completely wasted opportunities. The sequel trilogy was done in by a rush to make back their investment, idiotically not waiting until a coherent, sensible, and compelling story arch could be developed, and creating a slew of unmemorable characters that had no on-screen comradery or chemistry and weren't developed enough to care about. While many of what has been churned out has had flashes of potential, Rogue One and Andor are the only completely decent things they've made.
Have you watched clone wars?

I mean, I could probably sit down with writers and in about 5 minutes come up with a general outline for a coherent and sensical story arc. The question is... why didn't happen? What was Kathleen Kennedy busy doing instead?
th

I have no problem with her wearing that shirt. I'm not even sure why it's been criticised so often. It's fine with me if, as the producer, she wants to have a main female character to the trilogy. The issue is that it seems more important for her to do that, then to take a very short amount of time and make sure that the story made sense. She is probably a good producer, in terms of making sure things get done and moving forward (athought this is questionable considering the third move and with Indiana Jones and with other LucasFilm clusters), but she has proven to be a horrendous choice to lead the Star Wars / LucasFilms universe.

You may have noticed that I was visibly absent from those threads because coming from where she was, I assumed it wasn’t checking a box. She was and is qualified to lead our university. At the same time, I didn’t know how the people at Minnesota felt about losing her, so I couldn’t speak to it and chose to only observe the many threads.

I think HailtoPitt’s point is whoever this person is they put in charge of the next film isn’t exactly qualified to take on such an important job.
Who's to say they aren't qualified to be in charge of the next film? Seems like a completely subjective assessment.

Anyone who watched Abrams' hack job Star Trek films knew he wasn't qualified for Ep. 7. But there was nothing woke about that hire.

What r u talking about. When stallings got hired there was plenty of people asking if he was the best candidate. We do that with every hire pitt makes.

What r u talking about. When stallings got hired there was plenty of people asking if he was the best candidate. We do that with every hire pitt makes.
We would have preferred Pat Summit. And I’m not even sure she was still alive then.

Reactions: Millerton24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT