ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tracy Chapman at the Grammy’s

I saw her open for Sting, basically her and a guitar, she was outstanding, good to see her performing, hope it leads to more concerts

Reactions: DruidTM
It’s a great song. YouTube it. I remember when it debut in 1989. Timeless classic. She hadn’t performed in 9 years. I am not much of a country fan, but I appreciate Combs version of it, which is a rare good remake. Better still that they had a duet. She is the most underrated female musician of the 90s.

I put Fast Car on a jukebox once in 2010 and just killed the vibe of a bar in Ft. Lauderdale. Used to love it. But why is she playing a 36-year-old song at the Grammy's?
Because Luke Combs covered it '23, it hit number 1 on a few different charts, and it won/was nominated for several awards. They sang it as a duet.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
It crossed over everywhere when she first did the song. It’s amazing you’ve never heard it.

It's not my cup of tea, but Chapman did win a Grammy for it when it originally came out. It also got a ton of "airplay" on MTV when it came out, back when the "M" in MTV actually stood for Music, as opposed to Mush like it does today.

It’s amazing the absolutely tunnel vision so
Many have and readily admit to.

I was probably 10-11 when the song came out and I remember it because it got a ton of airplay

i like Chapman's version better, and im a country music fan.. when artists re-make a song, they need to change it somehow, someway. he basically just "covered" it, not remade it, if that makes sense. Like he was at a karaoke bar just trying to completely imitate Chapman..

Not complaining, it's a good song and luke has a good voice, just think he could have added something or tried something with it.

but hey, he made a killing off of it so what do i know.

can anyone name 3 songs that tracy chapman sang? I know of 2, fast car and the "give me one reason to stay here, and i'll turn right back around" song. that's it.

WIthout cheating, can anyone name a 3rd?

EDIT: i just cheated, talking about a revolution was a good one. that's 3. she actually re-did "Stand by me" that i liked too.

Because they’re lying or are having a senior moment, that song was everywhere in 1988.
I would have been 9 then so my music tastes were limited. Never heard her before. I am a huge music fan so when I hear people talking about this amazing Grammy performance I was surprised to know nothing about her while all of my friends clearly know her music. Probably never crossed my genre when I was older getting into music.

id' be curious to know how much Royalties or whatever you call it, Tracy has received from Luke's version of Fast car being so popular..

I'd imagine she gets a nice chunk of change since this song is played every 15 minutes on every country radio station for the last year..

Reactions: Millerton24
id' be curious to know how much Royalties or whatever you call it, Tracy has received from Luke's version of Fast car being so popular..

I'd imagine she gets a nice chunk of change since this song is played every 15 minutes on every country radio station for the last year..
She wrote the song so she gets a large amount from that alone.

I read somewhere this week that she got around $500,000 in royalties since the country version started hitting the charts.

Because they’re lying or are having a senior moment, that song was everywhere in 1988.
I'm feeling both old AND clueless right now; I was in my mid-'30's in 1988 with two kids and a house in the suburbs. I can't recall what I was listening to back then, but am guessing it was "oldies" ('60's-early '70's pre-disco). I just now listened to the link that @DruidTM posted, and I recognized the song. It's one of my partner's favorites and she asked if there was a Grammy's version on YouTube ... guess I will be googling that in a moment!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT