ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open at Pinehurst who you got??

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
After seeing these fellas tear up the PGA like it is the John Deere Open, expect this to be much different.

I mean got to go with Scheffler, Morikawa, Schauffle and say Cam Smith.

I am on a fantasy site where you only can pick 1 golfer in 5 flights of 6 based on world golf rankings then 5 "at large". So you can't pick Scheffler, Shauffle and Rory.

Here is my best 10:

Tony Finau
Brooks Koepka
Scottie Scheffler
Tom Kim
Bryson DeChambeau
Collin Morikawa
Matt Fitzpatrick
Cameron Smith
Will Zalatoris
Adam Hadwin

Besides Scottie…

1. Bryson DeChambeau
2. Cameron Smith
3. Viktor Hovland
Dark horse: Ludvig Aberg

brooksie out to an early lead but it's way early. kind of tired of the same 3 or 4 every dang tourney. Scottie, Xavier, morikawa every weekend.. Ready for a new face to win one of these..

One of my regular golfing buddies plays with Cam down in Florida at his home course fairly often. Since he got that LIV money, he focuses even less on golf than before. Simply not the same player.

Parties a bit too often and is always shuttling back and forth on his private plane to watch the Pens up there. Golf may have never been his top personal priority, which is respectable, but it's even less so now. He's Koepka Lite in that regard.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I wouldn't pick against Scottie to win right now.

I have Colin and Bryson top 20 bets.

Sleeper is Jason Day for a nice finish.

Besides Scottie…

1. Bryson DeChambeau
2. Cameron Smith
3. Viktor Hovland
Dark horse: Ludvig Aberg
Aberg is a dark horse in only that he’s pretty new and not won much but he’s one of the best players in the world. I guess he could also be a dark horse for casual fans who may not even or barely know who he is.

Scheffler is dam near in Tiger territory (short term). Not a bettor so don’t know - any Scottie or the field wagers available?

Aberg is a dark horse in only that he’s pretty new and not won much but he’s one of the best players in the world. I guess he could also be a dark horse for casual fans who may not even or barely know who he is.

Scheffler is dam near in Tiger territory (short term). Not a bettor so don’t know - any Scottie or the field wagers available?
think the latest odds of Scottie was +270. so nothing close to Scottie vs the field but you are almost getting 3 bucks to every dollar you bet..

This should be an interesting tournament. In terms of what to look for, I'll start with the obvious; someone who is a great putter. While that's true of virtually any tournament it's particularly true at Pinehurst given the incredible speed (running about 13 on the stimpmeter). We're going to see a bunch of 3 putts, particularly if you can't hit your approach shot close, which brings me to factor #2... iron play. Whoever is going to win is going to have to play very well on approach shots. Need to get your approach within 20 or so feet to have a chance. If you're constantly looking at 35' lag putts on these greens you're going to be in for a long day. This leads to my third obvious factor; driving accuracy. Distance is always nice, but it's going to be super important to be hitting approach shots from the fairway if you're going to put the ball close to the pin.

Adding all that up, obviously Scheffler jumps out. But since we're not able to choose the obvious, I'll go with someone like Victor Hovland.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
This should be an interesting tournament. In terms of what to look for, I'll start with the obvious; someone who is a great putter. While that's true of virtually any tournament it's particularly true at Pinehurst given the incredible speed (running about 13 on the stimpmeter). We're going to see a bunch of 3 putts, particularly if you can't hit your approach shot close, which brings me to factor #2... iron play. Whoever is going to win is going to have to play very well on approach shots. Need to get your approach within 20 or so feet to have a chance. If you're constantly looking at 35' lag putts on these greens you're going to be in for a long day. This leads to my third obvious factor; driving accuracy. Distance is always nice, but it's going to be super important to be hitting approach shots from the fairway if you're going to put the ball close to the pin.

Adding all that up, obviously Scheffler jumps out. But since we're not able to choose the obvious, I'll go with someone like Victor Hovland.
Great analysis.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

If you watched Hovland on the back 9 last Saturday when he was in contention and shot a 42, you wouldn’t be picking him. It was the worst televised short game display that I’ve ever seen and it was brutal because every shot was being shown in prime time, as his collapse came out of seemingly nowhere. He’s got one of the poorest up and down games on tour. Can’t have that at #2.

If you watched Hovland on the back 9 last Saturday when he was in contention and shot a 42, you wouldn’t be picking him. It was the worst televised short game display that I’ve ever seen and it was brutal because every shot was being shown in prime time, as his collapse came out of seemingly nowhere. He’s got one of the poorest up and down games on tour. Can’t have that at #2.
He's due. 😁

This is a brutal layout. Greens are crowned and running 12+. Not all can handle these condition. Look at the big names playing like hackers today.

Going to be super fun to watch this weekend. I think Rory may finally get another one, but Bryson looks tough and Cantlay is probably due (ABC, anyone but Cantlay). Xander lurking and Aberg has the ice water veins.

So I basically banked my whole entries on Scottie, Morakawa, Koepka, Bryson and Cam Smith. Those last 3 were "gimmes" because being outside of the top 30, they were "at large" picks. Only Bryson obviously was worth it.

Glad Bryson won. Cant stand McElroy
Really why? Rory Seems like a fine fellow.

I was pulling for Bryson too though. Golf needs another star.

I’ll never forget being at Oakmont several years ago when the Pens brought the Stanley Cup to the Open. Bryson was like a kid in a candy store with the cup. And well he kinda still was a kid. Next year he returns as the denfending champion.

Last edited:
I am a huge Rory fan. The fact that he has been the biggest star standing up for the PGA tour, I have mad respect for him. But Bryson is the new Mickelson, and probably more genuine and real. It was great drama. And it also showed why that these two tours, they need to have some agreement to have the best play against each other in more than just a few majors, especially the playoffs and international events.

DeChambeau was already one of the biggest stars in the game.

Of course until his recent face turn (to tie in with the WWE thread) he was also one of the most disliked.
I think that’s my point. I think his win yesterday might ingratiate himself with the fans and he gains popularity.

I am a huge Rory fan. The fact that he has been the biggest star standing up for the PGA tour, I have mad respect for him. But Bryson is the new Mickelson, and probably more genuine and real. It was great drama. And it also showed why that these two tours, they need to have some agreement to have the best play against each other in more than just a few majors, especially the playoffs and international events.
I was always a Phil fan but we all know many in the locker room thought he was a fake. Did anything with Bryson come off that way yesterday to you? Did his playing to the fans and the cameras seem genuine to you, or did it come off as a bit of an act?

Really why? Rory Seems like a fine fellow.

I was pulling for Bryson too though. Golf needs another star.

I’ll never forget being at Oakmont several years ago when the Pens brought the Stanley Cup to the Open. Bryson was like a kid in a candy store with the cup. And well he kinda still was a kid. Next year he returns as the denfending champion.
Meh. Hes acted like a little bitch with respect to liv and just strikes me as a punk

Exhibit A

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I was always a Phil fan but we all know many in the locker room thought he was a fake. Did anything with Bryson come off that way yesterday to you? Did his playing to the fans and the cameras seem genuine to you, or did it come off as a bit of an act?
I think it’s an act. My guess as been his team made him go thru some PR stuff. He’s already been caught in a lie about what he said about Payne Stewart. He comes off as a phony in my eyes.

I think it’s an act. My guess as been his team made him go thru some PR stuff. He’s already been caught in a lie about what he said about Payne Stewart. He comes off as a phony in my eyes.
In the video I posted I thought the two quotes were interesting

“He’s really changed over the last 8-9 months”

“[Bryson] is a really good guy now

I’ve been looking for a guy I could root for now that the Phil/Tiger era is over. And I’ve been gravitating toward BD since Oakmont…but I haven’t jump on the bandwagon yet.

Reactions: Pittgolf1971
In the video I posted I thought the two quotes were interesting

“He’s really changed over the last 8-9 months”

“[Bryson] is a really good guy now

I’ve been looking for a guy I could root for now that the Phil/Tiger era is over. And I’ve been gravitating toward BD since Oakmont…but I haven’t jump on the bandwagon yet.
I saw a little of his interview with SVP on sportscenter and it just seemed so unnatural. Almost scripted and it seemed he had a stock answer for some of it. It just feels off. When he came out of college I wanted to root for him but he turned out to be an enormous douche. I read stories where he treated a lot of people poorly. Yelled at marshals, volunteers, camera people, Just a supreme dickhead. And I don’t buy that all the sudden he’s some great dude.

Max Homa is easy to root for. Seems genuine, self depricating, funny and just seems like a good dude.

I saw a little of his interview with SVP on sportscenter and it just seemed so unnatural. Almost scripted and it seemed he had a stock answer for some of it. It just feels off. When he came out of college I wanted to root for him but he turned out to be an enormous douche. I read stories where he treated a lot of people poorly. Yelled at marshals, volunteers, camera people, Just a supreme dickhead. And I don’t buy that all the sudden he’s some great dude.

Max Homa is easy to root for. Seems genuine, self depricating, funny and just seems like a good dude.
Yeah I’m with you on Homa. And that’s the thing with BD…you don’t all of a sudden become a good dude in 8 months if you weren’t your whole life. You are in your core who you are. Take Tiger…I always thought he was a douche and rooting against him because of it. It wasn’t until he was humbled a bit and showed a human side to him that I started to like him. But that happened over decades not months. I would love to see tiger win a major again. But he doesn’t look capable of putting 4 rounds together ever again.

Yeah I’m with you on Homa. And that’s the thing with BD…you don’t all of a sudden become a good dude in 8 months if you weren’t your whole life. You are in your core who you are. Take Tiger…I always thought he was a douche and rooting against him because of it. It wasn’t until he was humbled a bit and showed a human side to him that I started to like him. But that happened over decades not months. I would love to see tiger win a major again. But he doesn’t look capable of putting 4 rounds together ever again.
Tiger is done. He can’t prepare an and get the reps needed. He was so good that perhaps in his prime he could have gotten away with only playing a handful of tournaments. But not now. It’s over.

I agree that on any given day he could post the best score. But over 4 rounds - it’s not happening.

Reactions: Pittgolf1971

I think there is some truth to stating that some of what he did came off as fake. However I would also say that for some of the change may be legitimately due to him growing up and maturing. A lot of these guys who are incredibly talented in sports start out as arrogant horses behinds and life tends to make them more humble over time. I didnt like Tiger much before the ex took a 4 iron to his car but hes a lot more likeable now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT