ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MASTERS WEEK!!! Who ya got??

Scottie Scheffler is a machine. I can't see him blowing up, but he also hasn't been in this position. man, I thought this was a perfect day for JT to make a move. Conditions toughening, and he did exactly that. Just who know Scheffler was going to match having a 7 stroke advantage.

Tomorrow is going to be tough. Conditions, windy, dry, cool........
Was shocked you could still bet him to win at +115 after yesterday's rounds closed. Jumped all over that. I don't see him collapsing either. Dude is as cool as a cucumber and has an amazing short game. If JT made that putt on 18...maybe...

So far my Monday picks look pretty good:

I'm going with 3 "kids":

Scheffler - leading at -8
Thomas - tied for 10th @ -1
Zalatoris - tied for 10th @ -1

Sam Burns to contend as well as Xander Schauffele.- m

Long shot pick: Tony Finau - probably out of it at +2

Top foreigner: Cam Smith - tied for 6th but if the conditions are as poor as predicted, Shane Lowry - tied for 2nd

Moe knows golf!! 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️
Well if we are patting ourselves on the back with half the tournament yet to be played, I picked # 34 in the OGWR Lowry who is T-2, and # 20 Niemann who is T-10. Niemann was also T-2 at one point yesterday, but must have blown up on the last few holes. I should have posted this at 5 PM yesterday.

I like Scheffler, our footwork is similar. The only place our swings differ is from the ankles up.

• Haha
Reactions: pitt-girl
Final standings:

I'm going with 3 "kids":

Scheffler - leading at -8 - WON
Thomas - tied for 10th @ -1 - TIED 8th
Zalatoris - tied for 10th @ -1 - TIED 6th

Sam Burns to contend as well as Xander Schauffele.- they both missed the cut

Long shot pick: Tony Finau - probably out of it at +2 - TIED 35th

Top foreigner: Cam Smith - tied for 6th - TIED 3rd but if the conditions are as poor as predicted, Shane Lowry - tied for 2nd - TIED 3rd

A magnificent 63 final round by Rory McIlroy squeaked out 2nd, and top foreigner.

An uncharacteristic 4-jack on 18 by Scottie yet still won by three

Moe knows golf!! 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️Somewhat ...

Final standings:

I'm going with 3 "kids":

Scheffler - leading at -8 - WON
Thomas - tied for 10th @ -1 - TIED 8th
Zalatoris - tied for 10th @ -1 - TIED 6th

Sam Burns to contend as well as Xander Schauffele.- they both missed the cut

Long shot pick: Tony Finau - probably out of it at +2 - TIED 35th

Top foreigner: Cam Smith - tied for 6th - TIED 3rd but if the conditions are as poor as predicted, Shane Lowry - tied for 2nd - TIED 3rd

A magnificent 63 final round by Rory McIlroy squeaked out 2nd, and top foreigner.

An uncharacteristic 4-jack on 18 by Scottie yet still won by three

Moe knows golf!! 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️Somewhat ...
Just 1 correction: Rory had a 64. ;)

Reactions: Chairman Moe
Scottie Scheffler played today with Cameron Smith. Scheffler uses a Scotty Cameron putter. Coincidence? It was their first time being paired together in a tournament round.

That vague coincidence reminded me of when our basketball team played Bradley Univ in an NCAAT game and the scoreboard had the abbr BRAD PITT

Reactions: bayardstreet
Well he is old enough to be most of these golfers father and was in a horrific accident not long ago! Tiger rules!
It was great Tiger came back for this tournament. Kudos to him and his team.

My only complaint is that I do not want to watch every hole Tiger is at - every once and a while, ok. But there were golfers ahead of him Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday that I would have liked watching. (They did not show him nearly as much today.)

I get the guy is a legend and he brings viewers. But enough. It's fine if he's in contention. Are we going to go through this every time he golf's going forward?

JMO.

I am not defending his actions but he was in a car accident and came back at 45+ yrs old to compete in the Masters! Enrage
Never said you defended him, just putting your comment in proper context. And not directed at you. More a general comment as lot of talk of tigers return from accident. Little or no talk about why he was in the accident.

Reactions: FireballZ
Never said you defended him, just putting your comment in proper context. And not directed at you. More a general comment as lot of talk of tigers return from accident. Little or no talk about why he was in the accident.
The reason for the accident is not today's story. The comeback from the accident is the story of the weekend.

Tiger was 23 strokes behind the winner.

Tiger made the cut over a lot of guys who were supposedly part of “golf being deeper” compared to when he played. Scheffler was awesome all week but he was well within striking distance of T-10 before the weather turned cold.

Is he a shadow of himself? Sure. Would 2000 Tiger still be as dominant now as he was then? Absolutely yes.

Spieth is lost, DeChambeau can’t play Augusta and is falling apart, Koepka is breaking down, JT can’t putt, Rahm might not be able to putt, Scheffler basically plays a Tiger game, etc..

He’ll hopefully get better weather and a favorable side of the draw at St. Andrews. That’s another course where he can compete.

I am not one of those people who bets Tiger no matter what in Tournaments but there are very few credible holes to poke in the CV, I think.

A 30% Tiger (compared to 2000) will still compete at places like Augusta and St. Andrews better than a lot of the modern golfers at 100%, and there’s something to that.

Last edited:
Scottie Scheffler took most of the drama out of this Masters finish, so much so that missing two 2-3 ft putts on the last hole didn’t matter.

But there still was some pretty good excitement on the 18th green a few groups before the finish. Rory holing out from a bunker to cap off a nice 64-round to put him in 2nd 3 back from Scottie at the time.

And to add right to that Colin Morikawa follows up right after Rory and holes out from the bunker as well. Pretty cool.

Scottie Scheffler took most of the drama out of this Masters finish, so much so that missing two 2-3 ft putts on the last hole didn’t matter.

But there still was some pretty good excitement on the 18th green a few groups before the finish. Rory holing out from a bunker to cap off a nice 64-round to put him in 2nd 3 back from Scottie at the time.

And to add right to that Colin Morikawa follows up right after Rory and holes out from the bunker as well. Pretty cool.
Those two bunker hole outs on 18 were pretty cool. Scheffler's pitch in on 3 turned his round. The 4-jack on 18 showed that Scottie is human.
I wonder if, when the President Cup happens, Scottie and Cam Smith will get re-matched? That head-to-head was entertaining

A 30% Tiger (compared to 2000) will still compete at places like Augusta and St. Andrews better than a lot of the modern golfers at 100%, and there’s something to that.

Yep. And you've got to think he's eventually better than 30%, maybe as good as 60-70%. Surprised he isn't taking more time off to recuperate and get his leg in a better position (if that is possible). But maybe his plan is to pretty much only play the Masters and Open going forward.

Yep. And you've got to think he's eventually better than 30%, maybe as good as 60-70%. Surprised he isn't taking more time off to recuperate and get his leg in a better position (if that is possible). But maybe his plan is to pretty much only play the Masters and Open going forward.
I’m sure Tiger’s play off the tee and in the fairway was impacted a good bit by his leg, especially as the rounds wore on. But I think putting killed him a good bit as well, which shouldn’t have been impacted as much by his leg.

It's rare when the two golfers playing the best are paired in the last grouping of a major and that is what happened in the Masters. I don't know why I discounted Scheffler going into this week. He was obviously playing the best I guess he was too hot, that I just figured no one named Jack or Tiger can maintain that streak.

Anyways.....one of the problems the PGA has is there are just too many good players, but not one standout figure to take over the mantle from Tiger. Whether it was Rory or Jordan Speith or Justin Thomas, now Cam Smith, Scottie Scheffler, Colin Morikawa, DJ, Jon Rahm, all of these guys are legit talents and all have or will win multiple majors.

But what golf needs is 2-3 of them to separate themselves like Jack and Tom Watson did, or Arnie, Jack and Gary Player. Even Phil who has been around a long time, when Tiger hit a bit of a lull, he went on his terror of winning like 5 majors over a few year span. I just think there are too many players who are really really good, but there are none a cut above the others.

I'm in the minority, but I hated seeing him there. He was walking with a stiff gait, trying to hide his limp. As soon as he was past the crowd and headed in to sign his card he was limping badly. I don't understand the point of doing this, he should rehabilitate and come back when healthier. He's not Ben Hogan wrapping his legs in the 50s, when golfers had to play and win to make a nice living. He's one of the wealthiest athletes in the world. That seemed more stupid than heroic to me, no matter how he played.

He's always done weird stuff in regards to his conditioning, though. He tore his body up training with Navy Seals and then trying to hit 1000 balls a day in practice. I never understood what he was trying to prove. If he really wanted to be a Seal like Haney says, go and try to become a Seal. Otherwise, train like a professional golfer should. He seems to have some kind of obsession with proving his fitness.

I’m sure Tiger’s play off the tee and in the fairway was impacted a good bit by his leg, especially as the rounds wore on. But I think putting killed him a good bit as well, which shouldn’t have been impacted as much by his leg.

His putting wasn't too bad until day three. And by that point, I think he was dealing with more pain which probably impacted everything. In reality, it was a huge accomplishment for him to be hanging around contention and above the cut line after day two. He even seemed really happy with just finishing the weekend.

I'm in the minority, but I hated seeing him there. He was walking with a stiff gait, trying to hide his limp. As soon as he was past the crowd and headed in to sign his card he was limping badly. I don't understand the point of doing this, he should rehabilitate and come back when healthier. He's not Ben Hogan wrapping his legs in the 50s, when golfers had to play and win to make a nice living. He's one of the wealthiest athletes in the world. That seemed more stupid than heroic to me, no matter how he played.

He's always done weird stuff in regards to his conditioning, though. He tore his body up training with Navy Seals and then trying to hit 1000 balls a day in practice. I never understood what he was trying to prove. If he really wanted to be a Seal like Haney says, go and try to become a Seal. Otherwise, train like a professional golfer should. He seems to have some kind of obsession with proving his fitness.
I thought it was a valiant effort. I am also kind of glad by Sunday he faded so far back that he did not take away from the rest of the field and the leaders. So it was a win for him to play all 4 rounds and it was not a distraction for the leaders.

I thought it was a valiant effort. I am also kind of glad by Sunday he faded so far back that he did not take away from the rest of the field and the leaders. So it was a win for him to play all 4 rounds and it was not a distraction for the leaders.
Indeed it was a valiant effort. I just didn't see the need for it. It's not like he was Kerri Strug or Kirk Gibson. Or even a guy who was in contention, then got injured and tried to gut it out. Just seemed like more of a publicity seeking, ego satisfying thing.

It's rare when the two golfers playing the best are paired in the last grouping of a major and that is what happened in the Masters. I don't know why I discounted Scheffler going into this week. He was obviously playing the best I guess he was too hot, that I just figured no one named Jack or Tiger can maintain that streak.

Anyways.....one of the problems the PGA has is there are just too many good players, but not one standout figure to take over the mantle from Tiger. Whether it was Rory or Jordan Speith or Justin Thomas, now Cam Smith, Scottie Scheffler, Colin Morikawa, DJ, Jon Rahm, all of these guys are legit talents and all have or will win multiple majors.

But what golf needs is 2-3 of them to separate themselves like Jack and Tom Watson did, or Arnie, Jack and Gary Player. Even Phil who has been around a long time, when Tiger hit a bit of a lull, he went on his terror of winning like 5 majors over a few year span. I just think there are too many players who are really really good, but there are none a cut above the others.
it does seem like none of these guys can stay on top. dating back even 20 years. it's a young man's game, 9 of the top 10 players are in their 20s and the one guy who isnt, is 30.

but back to your point, as soon as we think we've found the next Jack or Tiger, they kind of get over taken. Everyone thought Rory was gonna be that guy, then it was Spieth, now the flavor of the week is Scheffler. you dont see that guy being on top for years and years like the greats in the past have. im sure that has a lot to do with the talent being so much deeper than before..

i said it in another thread, i watch some of these older tournaments on the golf channel, circa mid-late 90's and man you just shake your head at the lack of talent back then. guys like Couples, DL3, elkington, hale irwin lol, lee janzen, els, duval, pavin. I mean these were the decades' best outside of tiger and it's pretty easy to see why he was so dominant.. the talent pool sucked.

it does seem like none of these guys can stay on top. dating back even 20 years. it's a young man's game, 9 of the top 10 players are in their 20s and the one guy who isnt, is 30.

but back to your point, as soon as we think we've found the next Jack or Tiger, they kind of get over taken. Everyone thought Rory was gonna be that guy, then it was Spieth, now the flavor of the week is Scheffler. you dont see that guy being on top for years and years like the greats in the past have. im sure that has a lot to do with the talent being so much deeper than before..

i said it in another thread, i watch some of these older tournaments on the golf channel, circa mid-late 90's and man you just shake your head at the lack of talent back then. guys like Couples, DL3, elkington, hale irwin lol, lee janzen, els, duval, pavin. I mean these were the decades' best outside of tiger and it's pretty easy to see why he was so dominant.. the talent pool sucked.
Duval did not suck. He was actually the one guy Tiger felt a threat from. Even more than Phil. And that came from Steve Williams’ mouth. He was derailed by injury and then he kinda turned indifferent. But the point still stands that the pool is way deeper today.

I wouldn’t say Els sucked either.

But prime Tiger still may have been near as dominant today. Everyone probably remembers him winning the US Open by 15. He then followed that up by winning the British by 8. All these young guys are very good but none can even approach Tiger.

I wish I could find the article I read a few years ago. Some of the stats are even hard to believe.

Rory is the most puzzling person I’ve seen in sports. That you’d yesterday was spectacular and could have been even better. But his wedge game of all things stinks and his putter is shaky. I still think he’s the most talented player right now but doesn’t get nearly enough out of it.

Edit - Holy hell - just looked. There are 209 guys listed for proximity to the hole from 50-125 yards. Rory is 208.

Last edited:

Yeah. People forget in many cases, the field was so weak then, that some of the guys who challenged Tiger or won some majors were: Bob May. (who?) YE Yang. Rich Beem. Shaun Micheel. Ben Curtis. Justin Leonard. Chris DiMarco. Woody Austin. Even our own Rocco Mediate.

There is a reason why during this stretch the US performed so poorly in the Ryder Cup.

Interesting, in Tiger's last victory, the 2019 Masters, he beat out DJ and Koepka.

Those listed above, none of them are even considered for the Golf Hall of Fame.

Actually, guys never have really stayed on top for years and years. Arnie was done winning majors at 34, Tom Watson at 33, Seve at 31. Not many hall of famers won a major after 35. On the other hand, Hogan and Phil didn't start winning them until that age. Even Jack and Tiger's last major wins were kind of aberrations. There were pretty big gaps between their next to last and last. I think what the lesser depth in the past did was keep the good players famous for longer. They always seemed to be in contention when there were fewer name players. If Rory wins another major, it will be the longest gap between majors of anyone in history. That tells me that unless a guy won a lot of majors like Jack and Tiger, most guys weren't at the top for very long. Obviously some guys have been very good for a long time, but I don't know if that is necessarily being "on top".

Last edited:
Th

There are definitely a lot of good young golfers out there. I personally like that but, yeah, a lot of casual fans are more attracted when there are 2 or 3 very recognizable names at the top.

What they need is Brooks and DeChambeau to get back on the top of their games. Not everyone likes DeChambeau but that fact attracts fans as well, not too mention how far he hits it. And of course, anytime there’s a fued going on between a couple guys that the media will exaggerate, that will attract fans as well.

Actually, guys never have really stayed on top for years and years. Arnie was done winning majors at 34, Tom Watson at 33, Seve at 31. Not many hall of famers won a major after 35. On the other hand, Hogan and Phil didn't start winning them until that age. Even Jack and Tiger's last major wins were kind of aberrations. There were pretty big gaps between their next to last and last. I think what the lesser depth in the past did was keep the good players famous for longer. They always seemed to be in contention when there were fewer name players. If Rory wins another major, it will be the longest gap between majors of anyone in history. That tells me that unless a guy won a lot of majors like Jack and Tiger, most guys weren't at the top for very long. Obviously some guys have been very good for a long time, but I don't know if that is necessarily being "on top".

That's not accurate, depending on when/if he wins again.

That's not accurate, depending on when/if he wins again.
You're right. Someone said it on Golf Channel this morning. I was surprised, but I should have looked it up before posting. He last won in 2014, the biggest gap was 11 years.

Pretty boring Masters to watch. It was pretty much a given who would win as early as Friday. Although I thought he might 10 putt on 18. Golf is in a bit of a lull right now. I posted earlier this year that so many of the winners this year are names very few casual viewers ever heard of.

I loved seeing Tiger play but it was sad at the same time. His pain just kept increasing as the week went on. A year from now may be different but he will also be a year older.

Pretty boring Masters to watch. It was pretty much a given who would win as early as Friday. Although I thought he might 10 putt on 18. Golf is in a bit of a lull right now. I posted earlier this year that so many of the winners this year are names very few casual viewers ever heard of.

I loved seeing Tiger play but it was sad at the same time. His pain just kept increasing as the week went on. A year from now may be different but he will also be a year older.
Yep between the weather, Tiger's putting and anticlimactic ending

I’ve just figured that the guys playing golf now are probably more famous that I thought because, like many other sports,

I’ve personally stopped paying as much attention as I got older. When i was in my teens and twenties, of course I knew all the local pro teams and Pitt players, but I also used to know most of the relevant pro golfers, pro tennis players, NBA stars, most non-Pirates MLB rosters, non-Penguins rosters and non-NFL Steelers rosters (and I do mean rosters, perhaps not every single coach and player but most, even the scrubs on most teams, particularly if rivals of the Pgh teams).

Entering my thirties, children started coming and “work” became “career” and much of the time and brain matter I had reserved for such things got pushed out. By my forties, I’m lucky to know most of the local pro and college teams, and barely at that.

So I watched some of the Masters this weekend and while I barely knew many names, I didn’t give that much regard. But judging from these posts it is sounding like it might no longer a star-dominated tour any longer?

It is fantastic watching just how far these guys can bang their drives and for the most part how straight they hit. The iron play and putting now is what separates them. Most of these guys regularly knock it out there 320.

Back in the 80's, the average drive distance leader averaged around 275 yards.
When John Daly came around 290 and remained the average driving distance leader for over a decade, at ~300 yards. (And remember folks, they only count in the fairway)

Dechambeau led last year at 325 yards. Of course equipment has helped and so has fitness. Rory and Justin Thomas are only 5'9" and regularly bomb it out there over 325 yards.

It is fantastic watching just how far these guys can bang their drives and for the most part how straight they hit. The iron play and putting now is what separates them. Most of these guys regularly knock it out there 320.

Back in the 80's, the average drive distance leader averaged around 275 yards.
When John Daly came around 290 and remained the average driving distance leader for over a decade, at ~300 yards. (And remember folks, they only count in the fairway)

Dechambeau led last year at 325 yards. Of course equipment has helped and so has fitness. Rory and Justin Thomas are only 5'9" and regularly bomb it out there over 325 yards.
recruits, don't forget their ability to hit pitch shots, chip shots, and sand shots. I was more amazed and awed and impressed by Scheffler (and the other top finishers) to execute the finesse shots under pressure on almost each and every hole when they had to

And what we don't realize - even with the advent of so many additional cameras and camera angles - is how undulating and uneven Augusta National golf course is. I've been there.

On Scheffler's hole out of his third shot on three, he wouldn't have been able to see the top of the flagstick from where he hit it, let alone see it go in. His margin for error was quite small, yet he executed it about as well as he could. Luck may have played a small role in the shot, as he had to hit the pin dead center to go in. That shot would've gone at least 10-15' further had he not hit or touched any part of the flagstick. But his execution to even get it to hit dead center was off the charts

As to the comments about the game "needing another standout player" - a la Tiger - I don't think we're necessarily there yet. Tiger's influence on the game created the vast number of high quality players. This entire new generation of superstar golfers cut their teeth watching him play (on TV) and win. And that includes all of the top international players. Look at the final leaderboard at the Masters. Rory, Lowry, Smith, Im, Conners. All top international pro golfers. And don't forget Matsuyama last year.

The list of top level, high quality golfers is endless right now

The golf world will again have a player a la Tiger, or Nicklaus, who is so dominant as to be intimidating. I'm not seeing one at this moment. It was about 35-40 years between Jack and Eldrick. If I'm still around in 2035-2040, maybe I'll personally witness another ... until then, I'll enjoy watching whomever is playing good golf.

Scheffler is on a hot streak for sure. Not sure he's the next superstar/intimidator. If you recall, Scheffler was the only player to be paired with Bryson DeChambeau at the Ryder Cup; and it was primarily due to his easy-going manner and personality. He doesn't come off as an intimidator.

Not sure that any of the current top pro golfers are, or are capable of being that ...

recruits, don't forget their ability to hit pitch shots, chip shots, and sand shots. I was more amazed and awed and impressed by Scheffler (and the other top finishers) to execute the finesse shots under pressure on almost each and every hole when they had to

And what we don't realize - even with the advent of so many additional cameras and camera angles - is how undulating and uneven Augusta National golf course is. I've been there.

On Scheffler's hole out of his third shot on three, he wouldn't have been able to see the top of the flagstick from where he hit it, let alone see it go in. His margin for error was quite small, yet he executed it about as well as he could. Luck may have played a small role in the shot, as he had to hit the pin dead center to go in. That shot would've gone at least 10-15' further had he not hit or touched any part of the flagstick. But his execution to even get it to hit dead center was off the charts

As to the comments about the game "needing another standout player" - a la Tiger - I don't think we're necessarily there yet. Tiger's influence on the game created the vast number of high quality players. This entire new generation of superstar golfers cut their teeth watching him play (on TV) and win. And that includes all of the top international players. Look at the final leaderboard at the Masters. Rory, Lowry, Smith, Im, Conners. All top international pro golfers. And don't forget Matsuyama last year.

The list of top level, high quality golfers is endless right now

The golf world will again have a player a la Tiger, or Nicklaus, who is so dominant as to be intimidating. I'm not seeing one at this moment. It was about 35-40 years between Jack and Eldrick. If I'm still around in 2035-2040, maybe I'll personally witness another ... until then, I'll enjoy watching whomever is playing good golf.

Scheffler is on a hot streak for sure. Not sure he's the next superstar/intimidator. If you recall, Scheffler was the only player to be paired with Bryson DeChambeau at the Ryder Cup; and it was primarily due to his easy-going manner and personality. He doesn't come off as an intimidator.

Not sure that any of the current top pro golfers are, or are capable of being that ...
I have to admit I do like personalities which is why I was a Mickelson fan, and I really like almost all of these guys, how can you not? But they also aren't that exciting outside how they hit a golf ball. I mean DJ has his crazy hot wife and her outfits, the Dechambeau/Koepke feud has died down, but honestly that was great for golf. You need rivalries. Even the international guys, I mean they are so personable now, there aren't the Seve's, Faldo's, Monty's of the past. It is hard to root against Rory, I like Justin Rose, always have liked Sergio, how can you hate Cam Smith? Even Matsuyama, who while not being exciting and speaking English (he can) he and Sunjang Im, genuinely seem to be personable and well liked on the tour.

I have to admit I do like personalities which is why I was a Mickelson fan, and I really like almost all of these guys, how can you not? But they also aren't that exciting outside how they hit a golf ball. I mean DJ has his crazy hot wife and her outfits, the Dechambeau/Koepke feud has died down, but honestly that was great for golf. You need rivalries. Even the international guys, I mean they are so personable now, there aren't the Seve's, Faldo's, Monty's of the past. It is hard to root against Rory, I like Justin Rose, always have liked Sergio, how can you hate Cam Smith? Even Matsuyama, who while not being exciting and speaking English (he can) he and Sunjang Im, genuinely seem to be personable and well liked on the tour.
DeChambeau said he is gonna play augusta like par is 67. lol, that didnt age well but give him something for saying it, putting himself out there, and well ultimately looking foolish. i am not a fan, he's a hard guy to not root against but he does have some character, or he is a character. and not like 99% of these vanilla cookie cutter personalities.

I always liked Bubba, think he gets a bad rap for his very dry humor. Also i believe he berated his caddie a few times on national tv too.

DeChambeau said he is gonna play augusta like par is 67. lol, that didnt age well but give him something for saying it, putting himself out there, and well ultimately looking foolish. i am not a fan, he's a hard guy to not root against but he does have some character, or he is a character. and not like 99% of these vanilla cookie cutter personalities.

I always liked Bubba, think he gets a bad rap for his very dry humor. Also i believe he berated his caddie a few times on national tv too.
I remember when they did an anonymous survey of the golfers on tour a few years back and Bubba clearly bubbled (no pun) to the top of most disliked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT