ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open Who ya got? Who ya like??

Always awesome when it is out on the West Coast because we get prime time golf. Really tough call this year. Do you go with the hot Jon Rahm coming out of COVID protocol?? Brooks Koepka? Bryson back to back? Rory making a comeback? Speith capping off his fantastic year? DJ? Or the story of all stories, Phil at 51 going back to back Majors to complete his career Grand Slam?? Or will it be a Schauffle or Cantlay breaking through winning their first??

Really tough to go against Koepka. Who has a 1-1-2 in his last three US Opens and finished 2nd in the PGA. He just turns it on come majors time.

Just have a feeling with DJ.
You knock soccer but watch golf? It is illegal for anyone that watches golf to say anything bad about soccer.

Good for Jon Rahm. It was a matter of time when not if he would win a major. He's that good. And good on the new father. And good on the baby, who looking at Rahm's wife, the baby will be well fed.
shakes my head reading this and then immediately google images Rahm's wife. yep..

You knock soccer but watch golf? It is illegal for anyone that watches golf to say anything bad about soccer.
then im an outlaw. JK, i dont like people who go on soccer threads and knock it. to each his own, just dont be that guy that does that please..

then im an outlaw. JK, i dont like people who go on soccer threads and knock it. to each his own, just dont be that guy that does that please..
Yes you are.

The laws state that anyone who watches the following sports, cannot criticize these other sports:

soccer
baseball
golf
auto racing

All 4 can be viewed as being excruciatingly boring.

That said, I am an outlaw too because I cannot fathom how one can watch other people play golf, which is a hobby, on TV. I cant stand how people watching others play video games is a thing and to me this is similar. Not a fan of televised hobbies.

Yes you are.

The laws state that anyone who watches the following sports, cannot criticize these other sports:

soccer
baseball
golf
auto racing

auto racing, nascar is flat out painful. i went to a daytona 500 in 2000 i think and even being there is cool for about 15 minutes then gets bad. i just dont get it, i know we all like different things but that ones a head scratcher to me..

here is a weird take. the evolution of HD on tvs has probably helped Golf popularity more than any other sport.. now they have that red line tracker that shows the aerial view of the drives, that's great.. all this gimmicky crap sucked for the NHL when nbc tried it but it works for golf.

with soccer, the skill is pretty ridiculous, even a non soccer guy like myself can acknowledge this..

Yes you are.

soccer
baseball
golf
auto racing

That said, I am an outlaw too because I cannot fathom how one can watch other people play golf, which is a hobby, on TV. I cant stand how people watching others play video games is a thing and to me this is similar. Not a fan of televised hobbies.
I cant fathom how you can love soccer and hate hockey. Which within much of the same tenets of the sport as far as controlling possession, freeform plays, goaltending, etc....

And for the 100th time, I am not a soccer hater. I have watched some of the Euro Cup games, and now as they start to proceed into the knockout rounds, will watch even more intently. I watched USA/Mexico and the USWNT. I just like poking fun at the "soccer will take over the US" folks, because I am now in my 50's and I heard that since an over the hill Pele came and played here.

I cant fathom how you can love soccer and hate hockey. Which within much of the same tenets of the sport as far as controlling possession, freeform plays, goaltending, etc....

And for the 100th time, I am not a soccer hater. I have watched some of the Euro Cup games, and now as they start to proceed into the knockout rounds, will watch even more intently. I watched USA/Mexico and the USWNT. I just like poking fun at the "soccer will take over the US" folks, because I am now in my 50's and I heard that since an over the hill Pele came and played here.
soccer and hockey fans need to accept their a "niche" sport. it's not an insult, just accept it and move on.

I dont hate hockey. Its a fine sport. Similar to soccer in a lot of ways. I just cant watch the NHL because the regular season is meaningless. 84 exhibition games. I tried just watching the Pens in the playoffs during their 2010s heyday but just couldn't get into it because, ironically, I missed the regular season. It kinda felt like you had to watch the regular season to know the players and stuff but watching regular season hockey has to be the worst thing imaginable. 84 games that mean very very little. Just can't do it.

I love watching Olympic hockey. I have a team to root for and its a short tournament.

I wished the NBA and NHL had much shorter seasons. Those leagues have to do something to make the regular season mean more. The NBA is taking some steps, introducing 1st Round byes for the Top 6 in each division.

I'd like to see something like promotion/relegation but not in the way you think:

Using the NHL as an example:

2 conferences. 2 8-team divisions in each conference

Lets use the Eastern Conference as an example:

1st Division (top 8 teams from prior year)
- Top 5 teams make SC playoffs
- Bottom 2 teams relegated to 2nd Division

2nd Division (bottom 8 teams from prior year)
- Top 2 teams make Playoffs and gain promotion to 1st Division next season

1st Division #5 plays 2nd Division #3 in a winner take all game for a SC playoff berth and 1st Division spot for the next season

soccer and hockey fans need to accept their a "niche" sport. it's not an insult, just accept it and move on.
I know. I am fine with it. I see what also happens to the other sports when it is over commercialized. It scares me that now the ESPN and TNT is going to get their hands on the NHL. Maybe they will force the league to have the referees to enforce the rules so they can market the stars. Maybe. Doubt it.

I dont hate hockey. Its a fine sport. Similar to soccer in a lot of ways. I just cant watch the NHL because the regular season is meaningless. 84 exhibition games. I tried just watching the Pens in the playoffs during their 2010s heyday but just couldn't get into it because, ironically, I missed the regular season. It kinda felt like you had to watch the regular season to know the players and stuff but watching regular season hockey has to be the worst thing imaginable. 84 games that mean very very little. Just can't do it.

I love watching Olympic hockey. I have a team to root for and its a short tournament.

I wished the NBA and NHL had much shorter seasons. Those leagues have to do something to make the regular season mean more. The NBA is taking some steps, introducing 1st Round byes for the Top 6 in each division.

I'd like to see something like promotion/relegation but not in the way you think:

Using the NHL as an example:

2 conferences. 2 8-team divisions in each conference

Lets use the Eastern Conference as an example:

1st Division (top 8 teams from prior year)
- Top 5 teams make SC playoffs
- Bottom 2 teams relegated to 2nd Division

2nd Division (bottom 8 teams from prior year)
- Top 2 teams make Playoffs and gain promotion to 1st Division next season

1st Division #5 plays 2nd Division #3 in a winner take all game for a SC playoff berth and 1st Division spot for the next season
You try to apply the EPL to all sports leagues.

I just like poking fun at the "soccer will take over the US" folks, because I am now in my 50's and I heard that since an over the hill Pele came and played here.
I think there's like 7 people in the US who truly believe soccer will "take over" the US. That's not even a thing.

What some believe (and its probably true) is that IF MLS was a world-class league with the best players in the world playing, it would overtake MLB and challenge with the NBA for #2 behind the NFL eventually

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT