ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open Who ya got? Who ya like??

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Always awesome when it is out on the West Coast because we get prime time golf. Really tough call this year. Do you go with the hot Jon Rahm coming out of COVID protocol?? Brooks Koepka? Bryson back to back? Rory making a comeback? Speith capping off his fantastic year? DJ? Or the story of all stories, Phil at 51 going back to back Majors to complete his career Grand Slam?? Or will it be a Schauffle or Cantlay breaking through winning their first??

Really tough to go against Koepka. Who has a 1-1-2 in his last three US Opens and finished 2nd in the PGA. He just turns it on come majors time.

Just have a feeling with DJ.

huge Phil fan but he's not going b2b. looked at the favorites and it's all the big names. Rahm annoys me so bad cause he slams his putter into the green like a baby after he misses every putt.. Gonna say Xander, think this is his home course.

who ever can stay out of the rough the best wins. Yeah yeah, i know, im really going out on a limb with that bold statement on a US open.. Just hope Sunday has some intrigue with some big names in the mix. save the no name cinderella stories for college hoops in march and give me the big names fighting it out on sunday.

huge Phil fan but he's not going b2b. looked at the favorites and it's all the big names. Rahm annoys me so bad cause he slams his putter into the green like a baby after he misses every putt.. Gonna say Xander, think this is his home course.

who ever can stay out of the rough the best wins. Yeah yeah, i know, im really going out on a limb with that bold statement on a US open.. Just hope Sunday has some intrigue with some big names in the mix. save the no name cinderella stories for college hoops in march and give me the big names fighting it out on sunday.
I would love to see Lefty go back to back but the odds are against that. A lot of names mentioned already but don't sleep on Speith.

Yeah....he is in a rut for sure. Surprising for how strong he is overall. Speith had the same issue when he went dark for awhile. It is amazing how putting as much as anything is many guys downfalls.
I don’t think Spieth’s in a good enough spot yet to put 4 rounds together at a US Open. I’m not a bettor but wouldn’t touch him. And his issue with 3-4 footers has returned. That will get mega exposed at an Open if it continues.

And Spieth was mostly off the planet since he won the British until recently. Thomas is slumping compared to his ability but not like Spieth. His putting has cost him at least a couple wins in the last year or so. Thomas won the Players so it hasn’t been that dark. But as I said and I’m sure you are too he’s been way below his ceiling.

I don’t think Spieth’s in a good enough spot yet to put 4 rounds together at a US Open. I’m not a bettor but wouldn’t touch him. And his issue with 3-4 footers has returned. That will get mega exposed at an Open if it continues.

And Spieth was mostly off the planet since he won the British until recently. Thomas is slumping compared to his ability but not like Spieth. His putting has cost him at least a couple wins in the last year or so. Thomas won the Players so it hasn’t been that dark. But as I said and I’m sure you are too he’s been way below his ceiling.
i watched a video where Phil told me how to putt out 3 footers. Well he didnt tell me but everyone. so when you are 3' out, go 25% back and 75% forward. the issues come when you go back too far and screw up your clubface so minimize it going back and push a little harder going forward.

i went out a few times this year and i still suck at putting but this kinda helps.

i watched a video where Phil told me how to putt out 3 footers. Well he didnt tell me but everyone. so when you are 3' out, go 25% back and 75% forward. the issues come when you go back too far and screw up your clubface so minimize it going back and push a little harder going forward.

i went out a few times this year and i still suck at putting but this kinda helps.
Yea the idea there is accelerating thru the putt. Many take big backswings then try and control it. Doesn’t work. Same with chips/pitches and half or 3/4 shots.

Finau plays well here.
Patrick Reed is another to watch.
DJ is Mr. Poa Annua

Outside the box pick - Will Zalatoris

Would love to see it pick - Phil

Finau plays well here.
Patrick Reed is another to watch.
DJ is Mr. Poa Annua

Outside the box pick - Will Zalatoris

Would love to see it pick - Phil
Tyrell Hatton was my outside the box pick. Not sure if he’s completely outside though. The avg fan probably had no clue who he is and he’s not really won anything of note. But his world ranking is pretty high.

Not sure he can keep it together enough upstairs for 4 days of grueling golf.

Surprised at the number of ppl I’ve seen say Finau in different places. Another one who I have doubts about putting for 4 days in the US Open.

Louis Oosthuizen is so enjoyable to watch.

Such a what if guy. As in, what if he cared about golf even a little bit. Dude just loves riding around on his farm and uses golf to subsidize it. Can’t hate him for it, seems way happier than 99% of other Tour guys in any case.

Brooks seems like a decent pick to win it. It’s a USGA setup so you have like 15 guys who can realistically win and his ball striking always seems to play these weeks.

Fairways are too narrow to reward accuracy because nobody hits enough fairways for it to matter, so it’s all about who hits it the farthest and gives themselves the shortest clubs to hit out of the rough with. From there it’ll be who from the 300+ carry guys with decent short games get the best lies out of the kikuyu.

Louis Oosthuizen is so enjoyable to watch.

Such a what if guy. As in, what if he cared about golf even a little bit. Dude just loves riding around on his farm and uses golf to subsidize it. Can’t hate him for it, seems way happier than 99% of other Tour guys in any case.

Brooks seems like a decent pick to win it. It’s a USGA setup so you have like 15 guys who can realistically win and his ball striking always seems to play these weeks.

Fairways are too narrow to reward accuracy because nobody hits enough fairways for it to matter, so it’s all about who hits it the farthest and gives themselves the shortest clubs to hit out of the rough with. From there it’ll be who from the 300+ carry guys with decent short games get the best lies out of the kikuyu.
Yeah at first I used to root against Louie but now I like him because he is just so casual. And good.

After Day 1, alot of the "usual suspects" are right there. Koepka, Rahm, Schauffle, McIlroy, Matsuyama and guys like DJ, Reed, DeChambeau, JT had "meh" rounds but still didn't shoot themselves out of it....

Jordan Speith though at +6.....not so good.

Yeah at first I used to root against Louie but now I like him because he is just so casual. And good.

After Day 1, alot of the "usual suspects" are right there. Koepka, Rahm, Schauffle, McIlroy, Matsuyama and guys like DJ, Reed, DeChambeau, JT had "meh" rounds but still didn't shoot themselves out of it....

Honestly I wrote Spieth off to start the week so hats off to him for at least making the cut. I really pull for him and I think being able to scrape it around at a place that’s totally unsuitable for him is good progress from where he was.

Day 2 not too dissimilar from Day 1, really. Hideki and Reed and Cantlay kind of fell off but Bubba and Morikawa made decent charges.

Just tons of good ballstriking on the leaderboard. Obviously all the aforementioned guys (sans Spieth) and then you have Harris English and Westwood as well.

Always awesome when it is out on the West Coast because we get prime time golf. Really tough call this year. Do you go with the hot Jon Rahm coming out of COVID protocol?? Brooks Koepka? Bryson back to back? Rory making a comeback? Speith capping off his fantastic year? DJ? Or the story of all stories, Phil at 51 going back to back Majors to complete his career Grand Slam?? Or will it be a Schauffle or Cantlay breaking through winning their first??

Really tough to go against Koepka. Who has a 1-1-2 in his last three US Opens and finished 2nd in the PGA. He just turns it on come majors time.

Just have a feeling with DJ.
Xander Schaffelle will be your Champion

I can’t help but love bubba Watson

I put a little coin on JT top 10 at +180 and Scheffler top 20 at +130. Scheffler has been so good in the majors.

Shaping up to be a good leaderboard tomorrow.

Have to be honest, though. I haven’t really enjoyed a US Open since Erin Hills. It’s getting closer to the PGA every year it seems.

Not a fan of bunched, predictable leaderboards like this. Just not any thought put in to rewarding and punishing different shot qualities. It’s all the same.

Last edited:

This video is great. It worked for me right away

It’s helping. Used this yesterday and this strategy is helping. Noticeably less backswing on putter and accelerating thru the putt.
Key thing for me is straightening the face coming through as bringing it back straight was a challenge. I tried stopping in the middle of back to forward and that helped but this is better

Key thing for me is straightening the face coming through as bringing it back straight was a challenge. I tried stopping in the middle of back to forward and that helped but this is better
I’m tryin to implement this basic mindset in my chips too. Go back real slow and accelerate in forward swing. Really dropping a ton of strokes with bad chips where I go back quick and then quit on it coming forward, leaving dunks and dunks.

I’m tryin to implement this basic mindset in my chips too. Go back real slow and accelerate in forward swing. Really dropping a ton of strokes with bad chips where I go back quick and then quit on it coming forward, leaving dunks and dunks.
I used to live in SC, so I golfed a lot then. I rarely golf now, it is not so big anymore in industry which sucks.

In my prime, I could really hit the ball. Not the biggest guy, but I had a lot of club speed and I also hit my irons really high which had its advantages (and sometimes disadvantages). I miss that. But the scoring part of the game is wedge, chip and putting. It is such a "feel". I found the more I played (obviously) the more I felt.

My downfall was always because I could hit the ball, I thought I was Phil Mickelson and when I got in trouble, instead of accepting and just taking my medicine I would try to do something I could maybe pull off 1 in 10 and get in more trouble. I recorded many a snowmen because of this.

I used to live in SC, so I golfed a lot then. I rarely golf now, it is not so big anymore in industry which sucks.

In my prime, I could really hit the ball. Not the biggest guy, but I had a lot of club speed and I also hit my irons really high which had its advantages (and sometimes disadvantages). I miss that. But the scoring part of the game is wedge, chip and putting. It is such a "feel". I found the more I played (obviously) the more I felt.

My downfall was always because I could hit the ball, I thought I was Phil Mickelson and when I got in trouble, instead of accepting and just taking my medicine I would try to do something I could maybe pull off 1 in 10 and get in more trouble. I recorded many a snowmen because of this.
I tell new golfers or guys who shoot in the 90s all the time - take 1 round. Just one. And try to play smart. Don’t do anything stupid. Anything that you don’t think is maybe 65-35 in your favor - don’t try it. For anyone in that zone it’s a quick and possibly easy way to try to knock some strokes off. Even the guys on tv don’t always play hero shots. You hear it all the time and not just in majors - take your medicine.

Rahm’s so good. No real holes in his actual game. The obligatory discussion is always “now that he’s won do you think the floodgates will open” but in Rahm’s case I think that’s more legit than with others.

I hear you. I think your strategy is good. I find that I hit better 1/2 and 3/4 chips because the rest of the body is quiet and concentrating on good contact.

I hear you. I think your strategy is good. I find that I hit better 1/2 and 3/4 chips because the rest of the body is quiet and concentrating on good contact.

The short game is so funny.

I basically use the Pelz clock system for partial swing pitching and then Pete Cowen's tips for chips and short pitches, but it's all so personal.

Some people decelerate into impact, some people are super jabby -- it's really all about what works for you to get everything smoothed out and working together.

Good for Jon Rahm. It was a matter of time when not if he would win a major. He's that good. And good on the new father. And good on the baby, who looking at Rahm's wife, the baby will be well fed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT