ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USMNT Soccer....

An absolute cleansing is needed...starting at the top with Sunil Gulati down through Bruce Arena. They played for 1 point tonight and they lost that gamble.

Reactions: Pittfan85
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ronnyp91
They should take the $ budgeted for the mens team and give to the women team, who not only makes the WC but actually wins too!
Women won't be winning too many more. Their head start over the rest of the world has largely disappeared. There are built in rivalries and meaningful competitions in europe that will continue to drive the women's game there and push the teams to the next level. While our US women play in made up tourneys like the She Believes Cup, or whatever it's called, that means nothing whether they win or lose.

So much for soccer overtaking the US.
Yeah right. Who says that? No one I know. And I am in the soccer community. The only people I hear say that are people who hold some kind of weird animosity toward the sport.

It's the craziest thing.

Another things that's crazy are the people who actually get satisfaction out of this terrible happening tonight.

The sport has a foothold in this country and its still growing. It's not going away. Deal with it.

Yeah right. Who says that? No one I know. And I am in the soccer community. The only people I hear say that are people who hold some kind of weird animosity toward the sport.

It's the craziest thing.

Another things that's crazy are the people who actually get satisfaction out of this terrible happening tonight.

The sport has a foothold in this country and its still growing. It's not going away. Deal with it.
Dude it's an elitist sport where kids have to pay to play. It's for the rich. It will never change in this country and to actually think there is any foothold in this country is as embarrassing as this loss

Reactions: _fugazi_
Dude it's an elitist sport where kids have to pay to play. It's for the rich. It will never change in this country and to actually think there is any foothold in this country is as embarrassing as this loss
Huh? It's here. It's not going away. It has its place. That's my point. Do you feel the same about hockey?

It's a small niche sport and will never reach any popularity of note
And if your statement is true, what's your point? What's wrong with another sport that people enjoy in this country? You don't have to watch. It doesn't affect your life.

I just had a great night in Oakland as Pitt beat PSU. There was a great crowd and great atmosphere. What could be wrong with that?

Reactions: paulbl99
I think NASCAR and MMA is boring. I don't jump into forums about those sports to inject my worthless opinion. But anti soccer people can't help themselves. It's bizarre.
Don't worry you can still catch Christian Pulisic playing in Germany. Everything is a-ok. He is the only thing anyone cares,or would care to watch, anyway.

Don't worry you can still catch Christian Pulisic playing in Germany. Everything is a-ok. He is the only thing anyone cares,or would care to watch, anyway.
Ehh. I don't even know where to find Bundislega soccer on tv. But I do watch English Premier Soccer on Saturday/Sunday mornings and as a sports fan, I am better off now that I have developed a liking for the sport. And I'm obviously not alone. This foreign league, with no domestic teams, outperforms many sports in the US by various ratings measures...the NHL being one.

And this is my point. No one is saying that it will overtake football, baseball or basketball. Is it a niche sport? Yeah. But no more or less of a niche than hockey or golf.

Why it bothers people baffles me. Why it threatens people baffles me. It's like people have a financial stake in something that competes directly with soccer. Whether soccer grows or doesn't grow in this country should t mean that much to people. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But if you're a real sports fan, why not embrace another sport? Nothing wrong with doing so.

Reactions: PerchMan
So much for soccer overtaking the US. The men's national team will be watching the world cup along side SMF. On TV.

You are trying to create a narrative. This doesn't change ANY of the following things.

1. WORLD-CLASS soccer is #4 in this country ahead of the NHL in terms of ratings and interest. Nobody is saying its going to overtake the NFL.

2. World Cup interest and ratings will still be very good in the US

3. Nobody ever said the USMNT was any good. Those that follow the team knew this was a possibility. The team has not improved all that much from the mid to late 90s. MLS has improved the talent pool but they still lack top end talent mostly because the top American athletes play basketball, football, and baseball, and this is going to take 25-50 years to fix....if ever. Soccer is getting bigger but in terms of the BEST athletes playing it, American kids are still going to choose the top 3 sports.

The biggest punch in the gut is that MLS players on Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica basically put the US out of the World Cup. You can argue that MLS has helped these clubs more than the USA.

MLS clubs are allowed 8 international spots. The first change I expect is that MLS limits those 8 spots to make those spots more limited to CONCACAF players. MLS does not need these players to make it a more competitive league. They can stop being so lazy and go out and sign 2nd and 3rd rate South Americans who are just as good, if not better.

The biggest punch in the gut is that MLS players on Honduras, Panama, and Costa Rica basically put the US out of the World Cup. You can argue that MLS has helped these clubs more than the USA.

MLS clubs are allowed 8 international spots. The first change I expect is that MLS limits those 8 spots to make those spots more limited to CONCACAF players. MLS does not need these players to make it a more competitive league. They can stop being so lazy and go out and sign 2nd and 3rd rate South Americans who are just as good, if not better.
Interesting. I had wondered if the MLS had played a part in this.

I really find this post interesting and I am still waiting for your reply. Can you please expound?

You are trying to create a narrative. This doesn't change ANY of the following things.

1. WORLD-CLASS soccer is #4 in this country ahead of the NHL in terms of ratings and interest. Nobody is saying its going to overtake the NFL.

3. Nobody ever said the USMNT was any good. Those that follow the team knew this was a possibility. The team has not improved all that much from the mid to late 90s. MLS has improved the talent pool but they still lack top end talent mostly because the top American athletes play basketball, football, and baseball, and this is going to take 25-50 years to fix....if ever. Soccer is getting bigger but in terms of the BEST athletes playing it, American kids are still going to choose the top 3 sports.
BS. We are losing to countries with 1/300 of the talent pool. We don't need our top 0.1% to compete.

The athletic ability of our players isn't the issue. It is the skill and way the game is taught.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
An absolute cleansing is needed...starting at the top with Sunil Gulati down through Bruce Arena. They played for 1 point tonight and they lost that gamble.
All their stars are like 35 years old, it's good that they miss this one and by 2022, they'll be a totally new team.

BS. We are losing to countries with 1/300 of the talent pool. We don't need our top 0.1% to compete.

Yes you do. You are getting 2nd tier American athletes who play their whole lives against other 2nd tier American athletes.

So, they are losing out in 2 ways. They are not as athletic as the kids choosing baseball, basketball, and football and they are playing against other 2nd rate athletes their whole lives. The lack of competition is just as critical.

Ehh. I don't even know where to find Bundislega soccer on tv. But I do watch English Premier Soccer on Saturday/Sunday mornings and as a sports fan, I am better off now that I have developed a liking for the sport. And I'm obviously not alone. This foreign league, with no domestic teams, outperforms many sports in the US by various ratings measures...the NHL being one.

And this is my point. No one is saying that it will overtake football, baseball or basketball. Is it a niche sport? Yeah. But no more or less of a niche than hockey or golf.

Why it bothers people baffles me. Why it threatens people baffles me. It's like people have a financial stake in something that competes directly with soccer. Whether soccer grows or doesn't grow in this country should t mean that much to people. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But if you're a real sports fan, why not embrace another sport? Nothing wrong with doing so.

Why? Because we have been told this and shoved down our throat on how it is going to take over. I don't mind soccer, hell it is a great exercise to play for cardiovascular fitness. I like watching international soccer. But I hate the soccer community as a whole. It is a bunch of sniveling, whiny rich white folks who like a sport and just can't understand why everyone else doesn't like it. Hockey is my favorite sport. I don't care if you like it or not, and in many ways, I am kind of glad it is niche, because I see what the great American commercial machine can do to degrade a sport (see NFL).

I also hate the gay ass soccer terms. A one on one matchup is just that. One on one. In any sport. Except......soccer. It is one V one. Hearing announcers say that is like fingernails up and down the chalkboard. It is a pitch not a field. No, it really is a field. A 0-0 game is zero-zero, not nil-nil. And it is tied, not "level".

It is province of rich white prep schools in this country, which is why they don't get the best athletes. Everyone watches the EPL, no one cares about the MLS, even US soccer fans. I am no way a soccer X's and O's tactician, but I can see talent. I argued about the lack of talent on the US team, that is has regressed from 20 years ago with my avid soccer fan buddy ex college roommate last week and all he can say is "Pulisic" or whatever his name. Ok, what about the rest of the team. Pure hot garbage. Pussies. The only warrior on that team is Clint Dempsey and now he is done, he won't be around in 4 years.

All you rich white guys come over to the dark side, start getting your kids into hockey. There are a better route into the pros with the NHL and guess what, your international team won't be a joke like the US Men's Soccer Team is.

Just an epic fail of the grandest proportion. But hey, the EPL will be on Sunday morning....yay.

How is soccer an elitist sport? Are you telling me that those kids growing up in the favellas in Brazil playing soccer are elitist?

Honestly, I think it is the other way around. Many Americans are elitist when it comes to soccer. They like to think they are better than the rest of the world because they don't like it. Americans hold it as some weird badge of honor to not like soccer. Then we hold onto football as this great Sport but the rest of the world simply doesn't care about it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Why? Because we have been told this and shoved down our throat on how it is going to take over. I don't mind soccer, hell it is a great exercise to play for cardiovascular fitness. I like watching international soccer. But I hate the soccer community as a whole. It is a bunch of sniveling, whiny rich white folks who like a sport and just can't understand why everyone else doesn't like it. Hockey is my favorite sport. I don't care if you like it or not, and in many ways, I am kind of glad it is niche, because I see what the great American commercial machine can do to degrade a sport (see NFL).

I also hate the gay ass soccer terms. A one on one matchup is just that. One on one. In any sport. Except......soccer. It is one V one. Hearing announcers say that is like fingernails up and down the chalkboard. It is a pitch not a field. No, it really is a field. A 0-0 game is zero-zero, not nil-nil. And it is tied, not "level".

It is province of rich white prep schools in this country, which is why they don't get the best athletes. Everyone watches the EPL, no one cares about the MLS, even US soccer fans. I am no way a soccer X's and O's tactician, but I can see talent. I argued about the lack of talent on the US team, that is has regressed from 20 years ago with my avid soccer fan buddy ex college roommate last week and all he can say is "Pulisic" or whatever his name. Ok, what about the rest of the team. Pure hot garbage. Pussies. The only warrior on that team is Clint Dempsey and now he is done, he won't be around in 4 years.

All you rich white guys come over to the dark side, start getting your kids into hockey. There are a better route into the pros with the NHL and guess what, your international team won't be a joke like the US Men's Soccer Team is.

Just an epic fail of the grandest proportion. But hey, the EPL will be on Sunday morning....yay.

Lol. No one is trying to shove it down your throat. Americans just simply hate the fact that the rest of the world is better at it than them so since we suck at soccer, many feel the need to denigrate it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT