ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USWNT pool

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Ok this may not interest many, but Chelsea signed two American forwards over the summer. One of course is kat Macario who is thought by some to be the best player in the world. Sadly she wasn’t available for the World Cup due to injury. The other is Mia Fischel, the 22 year old ex UCLA all American. In Chelsea’s opener today she was a starter and scored a goal. So if she’s good enough for one of the top 4 women’s clubs in the world, how does she not get a sniff for the USWNT? Alex Morgan was the only #9 they took to The World Cup. We need an overhaul. One cycle after winning the World Cup, things appear to be broken. Just as they are at Pitt 2 years after an ACC title.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr
Good question. Has she been brought into the pool for the younger age groups before?

I think Mal Pugh’s injury hurt our attack as she has finally started to become the player people had hoped when she was young. I thought Morgan actually played ok at the World Cup but only as a hold up 9 - and there was nobody else putting shots on frame.

Good question. Has she been brought into the pool for the younger age groups before?

I think Mal Pugh’s injury hurt our attack as she has finally started to become the player people had hoped when she was young. I thought Morgan actually played ok at the World Cup but only as a hold up 9 - and there was nobody else putting shots on frame.
Yeah I forgot to mention that. She had won golden boots and player of the tournament awards at international tourneys playing for our U20 and younger ages and has quite an extensive resume playing internationally for the US. She has only 1 senior cap but I don’t know what game it was. A couple years ago she was one of 3 finalists for the USWNT young player of the year award with Girma and Rodman but didn’t win it.

It just has always striken me as odd that they keep going back to the well with Morgan. As you mentioned, her hold up play was good at the World Cup, and I’m sure she’s the best in our pool doing it. But there are other aspects to her game that are so frustrating that I never understood why they never seem to be bringing anyone else along at the same time. It will be interesting to see what they do at her position in the Olympics But in a way, we should already know. But don’t.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
If this is the so called best team they put together this past cup, than I am thinking either the pool isn’t as deep as it should be, they aren’t developing players, or too scared to take a chance on younger players. I know they had a few young in there, but is Morgan the best they had and one injury completely changed everything? Did rapinoe have to be in the lineup, is Rose that valuable when she’s not in there they don’t really have another option?
It’s really time to start developing a better pool and start taking a chance on young girls even if it means taking a step down a few notches in rankings to build experience and even drop some games. I will say the younger ages haven’t faired too well, so maybe the pool isn’t deep. I also know US soccer is very closed minded to really looking beyond the same programs and beyond the same connections. They need more evaluators and more staff. I’ve seen it first hand, they refused to even look at players that were killing it but not on the usual club teams. We are the wealthiest soccer association, can we not expand player pool and development.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT