ADVERTISEMENT

OT.. What would you do if your drafting for the Steelers

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
The Steelers have only a few more years with an aging franchise QB to make a run at the Super Bowl so sitting pat with the 20th pick doesn’t make any sense to me . It’s time to make something
happen !
The weakness at IBL needs addressed , I try to move up only after Bush or White is off the board and hope they both fall down the draft board so the price you have to pay is less .

Last edited:
Being older and jaded, I don't particularly care like I used to, other than the hope that they don't take Miles Sanders and set off a local media circle jerk that he'll replace Conner. So I have high confidence that'll exactly happen.

I would draft a special teams coach. The Steelers ranked last or near the bottom in many statistical categories for special teams. Coach Tomlin made a few staff changes that didn’t really correlate to any specific deficiencies in metrics. However special teams not only are a joke to the casual observer, they suck statistically.

But whatever, as Rooney stated, we don’t have locker room or leadership issues. I guess he didn’t think there were special teams issues.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
DB, LB's, safety, +OL ( Ramon Foster+ Pouncey others how many years left) in that order.

For WR's its better to find a proven commodity.

I remember what Amy Trask former President of Oakland Raiders said " the NFL draft is a crap shoot."
It is so draft well Steelers!

Can you draft a new head coach and GM?? If so do it!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

The Steelers have only a few more years with an aging franchise QB to make a run at the Super Bowl so sitting pat with the 20th pick doesn’t make any sense to me . It’s time to make something
happen !
The weakness at IBL needs addressed , I try to move up only after Bush or White is off the board and hope they both fall down the draft board so the price you have to pay is less .

I think Bush is their pick if he is there at #20, but don't think they will, nor should they, trade up. Bush is a good player, but their D had holes with Shazier and a rookie isn't going to come in and play at that level, let alone fix everything. They need to use those picks to add a pass rusher, corner and a pass catcher at WR or TE.

If anything, I can see Pittsburgh trading back if a QB drops in the draft. The Giants have 12 picks and if they don't take a QB at #6, I can see them leveraging some of those choices to move into the back half of the first to take one.

Edit: Forgot about NYG getting another 1st rounder from the Browns for OBJ. Doubt that they move up for a third.

Last edited:
The dumbest thing they could do would be moving up to take a LB in a year when the LB crop is bad. The two guys being mentioned are only going where they are because there is nobody else.

I like the Dexter Lawrence suggestion, you might be able trade down and still get him. Or, trade down and see who drops as a WR, TE, CB, S, etc..

Reactions: pittdan77
White is likely going top 10 and that would be a ton to give up to make a trade. I don't necessarily think Bush is the answer to fix the defense, so to move up anymore than a few spots seems a bit much.

I would consider:

TE: TJ Hockenson - Terrific prospect who is also probably the safest option in the draft.

WR: Name your favorite receiver. Keep the offense strong without a proven option behind JuJu. AJ Brown is probably my favorite.

DL: Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins - Defensive line is probably the deepest on the team, but I have no problems adding more strength and power to the mix.

EDGE: It's always hard to pass on a good edge defender, especially when one of your starters is Bud Dupree. Rashard Gary and Clelin Ferrell should both be in play.

ILB: It seems like if he's there, Devin Bush will be the pick.

CB: Byron Murphy doesn't have elite size or speed, but he is a playmaker and that's what the Steelers need. Of course, dipping into DB U. and going with the more athletic Greedy Williams isn't the worst option either.

Inside LB has been - and remains - a weakness.

The Steelers used to be a great run-stopping team, but not anymore. It's not possible to stop the run without solving their inside LB problems. If they're serious about making a Super Bowl run, they should make ILB their #1 priority -- either by moving-up in the draft, or making a deal for another team's already proven LB.

The Steelers barring injury are good enough on offense , they need a difference maker on defense who will elevate everyone . I say move up and get that guy while Bens here . White or Bush .

Reactions: Farnox
Get as many picks in rounds 1 through 4 as possible. Those later picks likely won't make the team anyway unless a pick is used on a punter.
If you believe a difference maker is there, then you’ve got to go get him. Troy Polamalu comes to mind. If you aren’t thrilled with your pick, then move back and get additional picks.

Super Bowl run? HA! The Steelers are putting their hopes in a 37 year old QB that led the league in interceptions, a RB that hasn't proven durability yet, and a WR that will doubtless be less effective now that defenses can focus on him. Meanwhile, other teams, such as the Browns, are improving. As Satchel Paige might say, don't look back, they might be gaining on ya!

I want Bush.. (pun intended)..

If not, I fear we go after a CB and our luck of drafting CBs is garbage..

The dumbest thing they could do would be moving up to take a LB in a year when the LB crop is bad. The two guys being mentioned are only going where they are because there is nobody else.

I like the Dexter Lawrence suggestion, you might be able trade down and still get him. Or, trade down and see who drops as a WR, TE, CB, S, etc..

If you look at transformative picks in Steelers history, many were DL.

happen !

1st - TE/ILB
2nd - TE/S/DE/OL
3rd - S/OL/DE
4th - DL/OL/Best athlete LB you can get (develop)
5th - WR
6th plus - best available skill

1st - TE/ILB
2nd - TE/S/DE/OL
3rd - S/OL/DE
4th - DL/OL/Best athlete LB you can get (develop)
5th - WR
6th plus - best available skill
if steelers draft a TE and Safety in the first two rounds, id quit watching the NFL.

This is a terrible year for LBs. People need to understand this. Chasing LBs early is a very bad strategy.

Its deep in defensive and offensive lineman, also TE. Maybe you grab a DE that you convert to OLB. Otherwise, trade down and grab a nose tackle as he'll help alleviate your hole at ILB.

This is a terrible year for LBs. People need to understand this. Chasing LBs early is a very bad strategy.

Its deep in defensive and offensive lineman, also TE. Maybe you grab a DE that you convert to OLB. Otherwise, trade down and grab a nose tackle as he'll help alleviate your hole at ILB.
Then you need to move up to get one of the guys you covet. Never overpay unless that’s your only need .

Anyone trying to downplay Bush or White as lesser options based on an overall weak position is foolish. Look at the tape on both. Its not often you get 1 MLB in the top 10, yet alone 2. A weak position overall isnt going to create hype for a position that typically doesnt get the love of top 10 looks.

The Steelers desperately need an inside linebacker. They also badly need a corner and an edge rusher. There’s just no doubt about it. Any of those choices will be perfectly acceptable.

They also need a receiver who can take the lid off coverage. That too is undeniable. Who is going to do that? I’m not even talking about replacing Brown, because that’s not possible. I’m talking about somebody who is going to threaten defenses down the field to open up all of those intermediate passes for JuJu and the TE’s?

Connor is a good NFL running back, but not an exceptional one. However, they’re not going to take a running back in the first round – and nor should they.

Finally, though it would not be my first choice, if that Hockensmith kid from Iowa is available in the 20s, they have to take him. He’s just too good of a prospect. A tight end in the modern NFL is a huge threat. They are red zone gold and you have to take the elite prospect if he is available. I cannot fathom him being available at that point in the draft, but I have seen a few mock drafts in which he was still available at 20. If that’s true, and assuming the Devon’s are gone, I would not think twice about taking him over potentially reaching for a corner or edge rusher there.

Finally, “Hollywood” Brown is a guy who is getting a lot of hype and for good reason. He was a very explosive player at Oklahoma. However, he weighs just 165 pounds and that is exceptionally small for an NFL receiver. Also, he’s coming off a Lisfranc foot injury and that is a potentially serious injury for a player like Brown, who going to rely on quickness and agility to get open. I’d probably pass on him.

The Steelers desperately need an inside linebacker. They also badly need a corner and an edge rusher. There’s just no doubt about it. Any of those choices will be perfectly acceptable.

They also need a receiver who can take the lid off coverage. That too is undeniable. Who is going to do that? I’m not even talking about replacing Brown, because that’s not possible. I’m talking about somebody who is going to threaten defenses down the field to open up all of those intermediate passes for JuJu and the TE’s?

Connor is a good NFL running back, but not an exceptional one. However, they’re not going to take a running back in the first round – and nor should they.

Finally, though it would not be my first choice, if that Hockensmith kid from Iowa is available in the 20s, they have to take him. He’s just too good of a prospect. A tight end in the modern NFL is a huge threat. They are red zone gold and you have to take the elite prospect if he is available. I cannot fathom him being available at that point in the draft, but I have seen a few mock drafts in which he was still available at 20. If that’s true, and assuming the Devon’s are gone, I would not think twice about taking him over potentially reaching for a corner or edge rusher there.

Finally, “Hollywood” Brown is a guy who is getting a lot of hype and for good reason. He was a very explosive player at Oklahoma. However, he weighs just 165 pounds and that is exceptionally small for an NFL receiver. Also, he’s coming off a Lisfranc foot injury and that is a potentially serious injury for a player like Brown, who going to rely on quickness and agility to get open. I’d probably pass on him.
I don’t know why the Steelers didn’t trade to get DeSean Jackson. He was traded to the Eagles for a 6th Round Pick.

Anyone trying to downplay Bush or White as lesser options based on an overall weak position is foolish. Look at the tape on both. Its not often you get 1 MLB in the top 10, yet alone 2. A weak position overall isnt going to create hype for a position that typically doesnt get the love of top 10 looks.

If they can get either of those guys at #20 that is fine. I just wouldn't spend the assets to move up that high (top 10) to get them. I'd prefer that they take the BPA at 20 and if it isn't an ILB, then target a guy like Wilson from Alabama or Long from WVU in the 2nd or 3rd.

Good players at weak draft positions get overvalued all the time.

Hockenson off the board early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT