ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: what's the deal Pittsburgh?

Aspinwall might be worth a look. We looked there and my wife fell in love with a couple old homes with "character". It's walkable for Pittsburgh and has some charm. I'm not sure about schools.

Your commute to Bloomfield wouldn't be bad.
Shadyside is kind of nice, I used to live there when I was going to Pitt for awhile.

Its demographics and DNA, not teacher quality or education quality. If you took Mt. Lebanon's teachers and curriculum and had them go to Westinghouse and then took Westinghouse's teachers and curriculum and had them go teach at Mt. Lebo, Mt. Lebo kids would still test much higher than Westinghouse kids. Eveybody knows this yet some people rely on those test score rankings to determine the type of education their child will receive when they only measure demographics, not education quality.

If you want your kid to go to school with kids whose parents have graduate degrees, make six figures, etc, that is fantastic, I know I do but I also am not naive to think the teachers, curriculum, or overall education is any better than any random school.
I agree with this to a point. I do, however, believe that Mt. Lebo has outstanding teachers as well. Lived there from age 4 to 13 (1964 - 1973) ... Howe school (K - 6) best school I ever attended. If raising a family is priority one- Mt. Lebo is tough to beat. Been in Chicago ever since... will always be loyal to all things Pittsburgh. Screw the Blackhawks:mad:

Last edited:
I recall Souf giving us a big lecture about living in a diverse neighborhood and rejecting plain, suburban whiteness...glad to see you joined the club.

The lack of diversity is a given in most any neighborhood, especially suburbs of Pittsburgh.
We went with a completely open mind about every part of the city and even the burbs.
Hell, we checked out Mexican War Streets and the Manchester section of the North Side.
Highland Park is a nice area- just the schools are shit.

Still hoping for some unicorn house in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside.

In otherwords, the plain suburban whiteness is a big part of why we stopped looking in the burbs. That and because they are all isolated from society.

The lack of diversity is a given in most any neighborhood, especially suburbs of Pittsburgh.
We went with a completely open mind about every part of the city and even the burbs.
Hell, we checked out Mexican War Streets and the Manchester section of the North Side.

In otherwords, the plain suburban whiteness is a big part of why we stopped looking in the burbs. That and because they are all isolated from society.

I want diversity and I want my kid to go to all white suburban schools, but I need to be walking distance to the florist, shoe shiner, and local bar.

lived in lebo for years, down below the saloon.. walked up to Washington rd a few times to grab sushi and a beer or a pizza at il pizzaiola, it's over rated.. They used to have a outside music thingy, right on Washington rd.. would close it down last Saturday of the month in june/july and august. that was cool, drink outside with a band.. Any time I can drink outside while pushing my little one in a stroller and not get CYS involved, im for it..

But the "walk to a shopping plaza" thing gets old. Walk to a shopping center to get a starbucks coffee is so cliché, be better than that.. Regarding walking as a form of exercise, cant imagine many suburbs are prohibitive of this.. Plenty of sidewalks and side roads in suburbia, trails thru the woods all over the place, Montour trail nice in the south hills.. If you don't like nature, local high schools have tracks, they allow tax payers access... Think outside the box Soufie
It's not me who is the problem..
Wife will be working from home, and she wants to not feel isolated from society. So, if she wants to stroll with her laptop to get a coffee, that's what where we'll live.

Problem with the suburb sidewalks is they all end in the neighborhoods, is what we've seen. So, then you're walking down a winding hilly road to some place.

I agree with this to a point. I do, however, believe that Mt. Lebo has outstanding teachers as well. Lived there from age 4 to 13 (1964 - 1973) ... Howe school (K - 6) best school I ever attended. If raising a family is priority one- Mt. Lebo is tough to beat. Been in Chicago ever since... will always be loyal to all things Pittsburgh. Screw the Blackhawks:mad:

I am sure they do but how do we know for sure? Because their students score higher?

How do we really know that that 4th grade teacher in Mt. Lebo is really better than that 4th grade teacher in Homewood. The answer is we dont. Its pretty much impossible. You cant rely on test scores because the demographics are too different, yet every year we see a list of "best school districts." I wished they would call it a list of the top average household incomes bu school district because there is a direct correlation.

Reactions: vietvet1
Wife will be working from home, and she wants to not feel isolated from society. So, if she wants to stroll with her laptop to get a coffee, that's what where we'll live.

Problem with the suburb sidewalks is they all end in the neighborhoods, is what we've seen. So, then you're walking down a winding hilly road to some place.
Fair point. The original settlers should have torn down the hills.

sounds like you need to live in the city.. good luck in your search..

I got ya. You like Highland Park but you don't want your kid going to school with "those" kids....

Reactions: pittmeister
That is all of suburbia. If he is looking for an upper middle class liberal area, it would have to be Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.

No way. He went on a big tangent about how Oakland wasn't diverse and the only people who think it is diverse are white people who live in suburbs.

I think Squirrel Hill is probably less diverse than Oakland, so take that off the list.

He wants a diverse suburb with good schools where he can walk to a coffee shop that's an easy commute to work, and is flat

I am sure they do but how do we know for sure? Because their students score higher?

How do we really know that that 4th grade teacher in Mt. Lebo is really better than that 4th grade teacher in Homewood. The answer is we dont. Its pretty much impossible. You cant rely on test scores because the demographics are too different, yet every year we see a list of "best school districts." I wished they would call it a list of the top average household incomes bu school district because there is a direct correlation.
I get your point, but a communities reputation for having good schools isn't solely based on test scores. Word-of-mouth also puts Lebo up there. My father was transferred to Pittsburgh in 1964, he had no idea where to look for a house. The advice from other employees (and realtors) even 52 YEARS AGO was to check out Mt. Lebo. The reputation dates back to the 1930's... highly unlikely they were relying on test scores back then. I have first hand knowledge, so do many others here. That is a nice starting point, don't you think?

No way. He went on a big tangent about how Oakland wasn't diverse and the only people who think it is diverse are white people who live in suburbs.

I think Squirrel Hill is probably less diverse than Oakland, so take that off the list.

He wants a diverse suburb with good schools where he can walk to a coffee shop that's an easy commute to work, and is flat
squirrel hill is predominantly jewish of course but there has been an influx in Asian and Hispanics the last 5 years. You're not getting much more diverse than squirrel hill, in Pittsburgh at least..

Reactions: bobfree
I got ya. You like Highland Park but you don't want your kid going to school with "those" kids....
You're inventing a narrative, but that's okay.
It's more a matter of school performance in aggregate. As noted previously, Colfax is diverse and well performing. Allderice and PSM as well. No issues with my kid going to either of those schools.

We've simply struck out so far on finding a house in Shadyside/Squirrel Hill in those districts. I'm not terribly interested in a $600k fixer upper.

squirrel hill is predominantly jewish of course but there has been an influx in Asian and Hispanics the last 5 years. You're not getting much more diverse than squirrel hill, in Pittsburgh at least..
Which is precisely why it's appealing to us.
And because Colfax is a good performing school in Pittsburgh Public.

Which is precisely why it's appealing to us.
And because Colfax is a good performing school in Pittsburgh Public.

You want to live somewhere diverse but you want good schools. Unfortunately the best schools are largely not diverse at all. This is an American issue not a Pittsburgh issue.

You want a diverse appearance so you can pay your humanity and worldliness on the back but you don't want real or actual diversity.

Then you find a place you like and can't afford it. I guess you should change your parameters of get off of your diversity high horse.

We chose Crafton and couldn't be happier. We are close to anywhere in town, south, or west with multiple ways to beat traffic even during rush hour. You've got the busway which can get you downtown or to the airport within 15 minutes. Schools are good and the neighborhood is very walkable and safe. Home prices are still very affordable, though they are starting to rise a bit as people start finding out about the area. Before I lived here I knew of the name but had no idea where it was.

You're inventing a narrative, but that's okay.
It's more a matter of school performance in aggregate. As noted previously, Colfax is diverse and well performing. Allderice and PSM as well. No issues with my kid going to either of those schools.

We've simply struck out so far on finding a house in Shadyside/Squirrel Hill in those districts. I'm not terribly interested in a $600k fixer upper.

OK, so you want a diverse neighborhood with good schools but not expensive homes, that is walkable and close to retail/restaurants.

I want diversity on Saturdays when I am going out to eat.. There isn't sh*t as far as options in the south hills, I mean nothing.. we need some indian or Mexicans in the south hills to open up some restaurants..

Soufie, I got the town for you. Braddock.

Braddock's Mayor is a rising Democratic star. Ran for State Senate. Progressive. Tattooed. Ironic hipster goatee. He also is a Harvard grad, so you guys can talk Progressive politics at the highest intellect levels to satisfy your cravings for intelligent discussion. You're tall, he is about 6'8", so yinz can bond over this also. Braddock gives you the diversity that you crave. Your children will also be exposed to one of the most ethnically integrated School Districts in Woodland Hills. It is the perfect match.

There ya go.

You just have to be willing to overlook some things in exchange for all of the benefits that Pittsburgh has to offer!

For example, probably the most "unique" beltway system in the country (or maybe the world?)!!!!

Soufie, I got the town for you. Braddock.

Braddock's Mayor is a rising Democratic star. Ran for State Senate. Progressive. Tattooed. Ironic hipster goatee. He also is a Harvard grad, so you guys can talk Progressive politics at the highest intellect levels to satisfy your cravings for intelligent discussion. You're tall, he is about 6'8", so yinz can bond over this also. Braddock gives you the diversity that you crave. Your children will also be exposed to one of the most ethnically integrated School Districts in Woodland Hills. It is the perfect match.

There ya go.
I'll check it out

FWIW, I can't imagine a more diverse HS in the country than Allderdice. Its almost unheard of to have super rich white kids going to the same school as poverty-stricken inner-city black kids. Add in the population of Jewish and Asian kids (not sure if there is a big Latino population yet) and its pretty neat, to borrow a word from HCPC.

FWIW, I can't imagine a more diverse HS in the country than Allderdice. Its almost unheard of to have super rich white kids going to the same school as poverty-stricken inner-city black kids. Add in the population of Jewish and Asian kids (not sure if there is a big Latino population yet) and its pretty neat, to borrow a word from HCPC.
And it's a STEM magnet school to boot .

why are all the suburbs completely detached from each other and require 2 miles of winding hilly roads to access with nothing attached?

Seriously, does nobody walk to do things outside of the east end?
No sidewalks out of neighborhoods into plazas ?

My wife and I literally spent 4 days looking for a neighborhood we could live in with our son, and became despondent . Realtors looked at us like we were speaking Japanese .

Very frustrated and starting to think staying in Dixie is better option.

Any advice ?
Hmmmmm
It is

We chose Crafton and couldn't be happier. We are close to anywhere in town, south, or west with multiple ways to beat traffic even during rush hour. You've got the busway which can get you downtown or to the airport within 15 minutes. Schools are good and the neighborhood is very walkable and safe. Home prices are still very affordable, though they are starting to rise a bit as people start finding out about the area. Before I lived here I knew of the name but had no idea where it was.
Thanks .
I'll check it out

You want to live somewhere diverse but you want good schools. Unfortunately the best schools are largely not diverse at all. This is an American issue not a Pittsburgh issue.

You want a diverse appearance so you can pay your humanity and worldliness on the back but you don't want real or actual diversity.

Then you find a place you like and can't afford it. I guess you should change your parameters of get off of your diversity high horse.
What high horse?

The best system of parks and recreation for kids is located in the Cranberry Area. You have Graham Park. An incredible complex that is still expanding. It is state of the art, and nothing in the Pittsburgh area will come close to it. You have the Cranberry Waterpark that continues to expand. They just built a new community playground, and there are 5 other nice playgrounds within a 5 minute drive of our house.
Haven't ruled it out .
Ultimately the wife is the driver.
There's a new neighborhood I found in Wexford with sidewalks out into some stores and a giant eagle .
May fit the bill .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT