ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: what's the deal Pittsburgh?

Haven't ruled it out .
Ultimately the wife is the driver.
There's a new neighborhood I found in Wexford with sidewalks out into some stores and a giant eagle .
May fit the bill .
Is it the one in Pine? There are a few of these new type communities connected to shopping/stores etc. popping up all over up here. Great public schools too which cannot be discounted.

only speaking in aggregates, obviously. Glad to hear that about Highland Park. Gives us an option.
Souf, IMHO, if I was looking to move back to the area, I'd start with one question in mind: who has the best schools? Maybe this is an over-generalization, but it seems that when an area has great schools, everything else seems to take care of itself.

People who insist on a great school district will also be concerned about the other aspects that make a community great.

The exception is if you're willing to absorb the cost of sending the young'uns to a private school. That could make your options a bit more diverse.

Souf, IMHO, if I was looking to move back to the area, I'd start with one question in mind: who has the best schools? Maybe this is an over-generalization, but it seems that when an area has great schools, everything else seems to take care of itself.

People who insist on a great school district will also be concerned about the other aspects that make a community great.

The exception is if you're willing to absorb the cost of sending the young'uns to a private school. That could make your options a bit more diverse.
I tend to think the same thing.

we are really spoiled down here. We have a really nice house and a great neighborhood, with good schools and we're convenient to most everything even though we live away from town. (20-30 minute drive to any restaurant /store/ and our work).

So I'm having a hard time going back from that concept.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead

we are really spoiled down here. We have a really nice house and a great neighborhood, with good schools and we're convenient to most everything even though we live away from town. (20-30 minute drive to any restaurant /store/ and our work).

My son lived in Cary, NC and loved it. It was everything that you say that your place is.

His job necessitated a transfer to Texas; he'd love to be back in Cary.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Souf....

I will throw out a couple of suggestions......

Given that Bloomfield is the place of employment I would consider Allison Park......specifically Hampton Township. The commute to Bloomfield is far less than from Wexford....and at rush hour.....the exit off of 79 to route 910 (Wexford Exit) is a bitch.....

Hampton HS has a pretty good rep. Smaller.......your son does not have to be an all pro to play football there, as an example. But I can vouch that they take academics seriously. There are also several plans where 500K will get you a very nice home

The downside from your posts...is no walkability. Dont know about sidewalks. I think all can agree that you never get everything you want.....but being in a well received school district should allow you to sleep at night in terms of resell

The other option......is the townhomes on Herr's island. i havent paid attention if you have kids...but if just you and the wife....this place will meet many of your needs. Convenient as hell......strong demand and very nice homes.

good luck in your search. I would also agree with Aspinwall....though that market is always tight

Souf....

Given that Bloomfield is the place of employment I would consider Allison Park......specifically Hampton Township. The commute to Bloomfield is far less than from Wexford....and at rush hour.....the exit off of 79 to route 910 (Wexford Exit) is a bitch.....

Hampton HS has a pretty good rep. Smaller.......your son does not have to be an all pro to play football there, as an example. But I can vouch that they take academics seriously. There are also several plans where 500K will get you a very nice home

The downside from your posts...is no walkability. Dont know about sidewalks. I think all can agree that you never get everything you want.....but being in a well received school district should allow you to sleep at night in terms of resell

The other option......is the townhomes on Herr's island. i havent paid attention if you have kids...but if just you and the wife....this place will meet many of your needs. Convenient as hell......strong demand and very nice homes.

good luck in your search. I would also agree with Aspinwall....though that market is always tight
I too can vouch for Hampton. You will get plenty of house. The schools are great and it has an awesome pool/ gym/ soccer/ baseball/ picnic park. If I were to move, it would be to Hampton. I left it out due to the lack of walkability.

If you consider Cranberry, make sure you get a feel for the vibe and attitude of its residents. It is different.

Souf....

Hampton School District has become one of the highest rated in the Pittsburgh area.

Souf - I've lived in every direction from the city. I grew up in the South Hills. Lived in Robinson Township for a while and then Monroeville for a very short stint. We chose the North Hills for 2 very specific reasons - no tunnels and great schools. There is the HOV lane headed into the city and very simple to get to the airport (we both travel/traveled extensively for work). We have never regretted the decision and with the absolute explosion of commercial development in McCandless the last few years, we are not farther than 5-10 minutes from most stores. Once a group of residents exhaust their legal options to stop the construction, Wal-Mart will be no less than 10 minutes from our home too.

I can't help with the desire for walkability to stores, but keep in mind Narduzzi, Dixon and Barnes all chose to live up here. There's a reason.

Souf - I've lived in every direction from the city. I grew up in the South Hills. Lived in Robinson Township for a while and then Monroeville for a very short stint. We chose the North Hills for 2 very specific reasons - no tunnels and great schools. There is the HOV lane headed into the city and very simple to get to the airport (we both travel/traveled extensively for work). We have never regretted the decision and with the absolute explosion of commercial development in McCandless the last few years, we are not farther than 5-10 minutes from most stores. Once a group of residents exhaust their legal options to stop the construction, Wal-Mart will be no less than 10 minutes from our home too.

I can't help with the desire for walkability to stores, but keep in mind Narduzzi, Dixon and Barnes all chose to live up here. There's a reason.
Trust me, it's the wife who is making things complicated.

The whole thing is giving me an ulcer and making regret every coming up for interviews.

Potter county.

Which is why she's against anything remotely isolated .
I live in Richland Township and we are very please with the Pine-Richland School District. We are within a five minute drive of groceries, shopping, and the State Store (very important). Great neighborhood....can make lots of friends or be left alone if you choose. Pitt fans surprisingly far outnumber Penn State fans!!!

Trust me, it's the wife who is making things complicated.

The whole thing is giving me an ulcer and making regret every coming up for interviews.
I wouldn't fret too much. These things have a way of playing themselves out.

The suburbs were designed for cars, not for walking. Strip malls and big-box retail. That's America. Older cities and towns were designed for walking.
Street design in the suburbs in America is more diverse than that. Sidewalks, bike paths, room to pull over if you get a flat vary from ubiquitous to non-existent. Suburbs that are newer tend to have those things, older one'd tend not to.
But that's not a rule either. In places like Houston, I'm not sure they even know what a sidewalk is; of course the weather is so awful so much of the year, no one can stand to walk anywhere, so what's the point. In Raleigh where I live, sidewalks are everywhere, on major and minor roads alike.
Pittsburgh is particularly bad because the suburban roads are hilly and windy and were built eons ago when no one expected them to be built. Not only are there few sidewalks, there usually isn't even what you might call "the side of the road", just an immediate cliff, or the occasional ditch, with a telephone poll inches off the asphalt. Even if you don't require the luxury of a sidewalk, its dangerous to even try to walk along the road on most Pittsburgh suburban connecting roads.

I wonder how many people here knew that the original American beltway system was developed here as part of suburban growth for soldiers coming back from WWII and korea.....

And while every big city has beltways such as 295 in Baltimore or 375 around Atlanta or 395 around miami.......

The city where this concept was created is stuck with the orange belt through gibsonia.....and the green belt through north park....or the red belt through tarentum . .....

Last edited:
lived in lebo for years, down below the saloon.. walked up to Washington rd a few times to grab sushi and a beer or a pizza at il pizzaiola, it's over rated.. They used to have a outside music thingy, right on Washington rd.. would close it down last Saturday of the month in june/july and august. that was cool, drink outside with a band.. Any time I can drink outside while pushing my little one in a stroller and not get CYS involved, im for it..

But the "walk to a shopping plaza" thing gets old. Walk to a shopping center to get a starbucks coffee is so cliché, be better than that.. Regarding walking as a form of exercise, cant imagine many suburbs are prohibitive of this.. Plenty of sidewalks and side roads in suburbia, trails thru the woods all over the place, Montour trail nice in the south hills.. If you don't like nature, local high schools have tracks, they allow tax payers access... Think outside the box Soufie

I like Mt. Lebanon a lot - lived there for years - but, given its tax and property values situation, it's definitely overrated.

I lived on Shady Ln and on Overlook and they were fine but nothing special. The "walkable community" thing that they sell HARD sounds better on paper than it is in practice - at least in my experience.

Nowadays, if I want to go shopping, I usually hop in the car and drive for 5 mins. It's not a big deal...at all.

I was able to build a brand new home in a neighboring community for about the same cost as I was paying for my much older and smaller home in Lebo. Honestly, it was a no-brainier at the time and in retrospect, it was very clearly the right decision.

The MLSD is great but, like everywhere else, I think that is a byproduct of demographics as much as anything else. I still think it's a great neighborhood with many more positives than negatives. However, I think the "walkable community" aspect of it is a sales pitch and ultimately, wildly overrated.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people here knew that the original American beltway system was developed here as part of suburban growth for soldiers coming back from WWII and korea.....

And while every big city has beltways such as 295 in Baltimore or 375 around Atlanta or 395 around miami.......

The city where this concept was created is stuck with the orange belt through gibsonia.....and the green belt through north park....or the red belt through tarentum . .....

it was also created because eisenhower was very impressed with how the autobahns gave the germans the ability to quickly move men and weapons all over germany (at least until they were bombed so heavily the germans couldn't repair them fast enough) and he wanted the US to have the same ability. that was probably the main reason.

I have said this before, but one of my biggest gripes of Pittsburgh is while there is that explosion of a food scene, great restaurants, really real deal ethnic Asian, even Halal market, it is all in town. Most cities have some decent ethnic options in the 'burbs, but in Pittsburgh, not really so. Oh sure, Eyetalian, but the TexMex are all the same boring, the Chinese sucks (Jimmy Wans sucks so don't even go there) spotty sushi, even not a real decent steakhouse.

Everything is within the city. Not that I am afraid of the city, but parking sucks, it makes everything more complicated and it is hard for a last minute type of decision or a drive by, because if you are going to a restaurant in town, or in Sq hill, or Bloomfield/East End, etc....it is a destination more of a spur of the moment accident, hey out shopping, we are just dropping by type of visit.

Other cities, even Cleveland or Columbus, you can find things on the outskirts and suburbs that are not chain or an American type, but some decent ethnic spots.

Take a look at Ben Avon if you haven't already. Walkable community with small business district(coffe shop, bank,etc) Nice older houses and easy commute to town and Bloomfied.

Reactions: bobfree
If you want easy access to everything (Downtown, Wexford, Cranberry, Airport, South Hills, Robinson, stores within minutes, etc.), but do not want to live in any of those areas - Franklin Park is your choice. NA schools, taxes are reasonable because it is growing. Houses are new. A lot of diversity too - twice the national average of Asians. Not very much Social-economic diversity though. The website Niche.com gives it an A+ review for a place to live. Live on the Marshall School District side as Marshall elementary and Marshall Middle School are very good. Better than Franklin.

I work in Hampton most days and definitely agree that it's very nice community. I'm not the world's biggest Rte. 8 fan - or Rte. 28 for that matter - but that's really not a big deal.

Hampton is NOT a "walkable community" though. However, as I said earlier, that's really overrated.

If you want to go take a nice walk, take a stroll through Hartwood Acres. If you want fresh meat, don't go to the grocery store, go to Wagner's Market. Also, the schools are great and the community center and park/pool is excellent.

I still prefer the West Hills but I certainly understand the appeal of a community like Hampton, Pine, Wexford, Cranberry, Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, Peters, Murrysville, etc.

If you want easy access to everything (Downtown, Wexford, Cranberry, Airport, South Hills, Robinson, stores within minutes, etc.), but do not want to live in any of those areas - Franklin Park is your choice. NA schools, taxes are reasonable because it is growing. Houses are new. A lot of diversity too - twice the national average of Asians. Not very much Social-economic diversity though. The website Niche.com gives it an A+ review for a place to live. Live on the Marshall School District side as Marshall elementary and Marshall Middle School are very good. Better than Franklin.
We live in Franklin Park. Ingomar Elementary and Middle School are also an excellent choice. Much smaller than Marshall. JMO.

We're having some heart to hearts about it out.
Her wishlist is more related to close commutes into the city. So being 20-30 minutes out is going to be a problem, more so than the walkability.
Or as she put it "What's the point of moving to Pittsburgh if we're not living near Pittsburgh?"

So it looks like my choices are hope for an Unicorn, live in the city, or back out of it.

All these responses and no one has mentioned anything about the Allegheny Valley, my old home area, or the Kiski Valley. Aren't those areas any good now? Tarentum, Creighton, Springdale, Brackenridge, Natrona Heights, Vandergrift, Apollo, etc.? So I wouldn't want to move back to that area?

All these responses and no one has mentioned anything about the Allegheny Valley, my old home area, or the Kiski Valley. Aren't those areas any good now? Tarentum, Creighton, Springdale, Brackenridge, Natrona Heights, Vandergrift, Apollo, etc.? So I wouldn't want to move back to that area?
No - it has continually gone downhill. The Pittsburgh Mills Mall is off 28 between the Cheswick/Springdale and Creighton exit.

I've been to the dew drop inn in Natrona Heights. that alone is worth moving there, rt. 28 traffic be damned..

No - it has continually gone downhill. The Pittsburgh Mills Mall is off 28 between the Cheswick/Springdale and Creighton exit.
I've been to the Mall a couple of times, but when I go back, those towns all seem old without a lot of "newer building" going on, plus the 28 traffic I guess makes it terrible.

I have a similar plight in finding the right place in the Pittsburgh area to live. One that has good schools, is not super expensive, and is walkable. I hate neighborhoods without sidewalks or useless sidewalks that end abruptly. I prefer to be able to walk to stores, shops, book stores for male book signings, etc.

Unfortunately, finding this combination in Pittsburgh is very difficult. Not sure why this is the case compared to other cities, but I think it's a combination of steel and lack of proper transportation infrastructure thanks to moronic and corrupt politicians running the city for decades. I've pretty much made my mind up that the City itself is not a long term option. The latest Pittsburgh School Board hiring debacle was the last straw.

With that being said, Colfax is probably the only elementary school in the city that I would want my kid in. Unfortunately, the folks at the helm gerrymandered the feeding patterns so that Shadyside and upper-mid Squirrel Hill all end up in that school. I could show you a map of the school feeder border lines and it's pretty obvious what is going on. The sweet spot for a decent priced 4 BR home under 400k within the Colfax borders is in SH south of Forbes and north of 376. But, you will need to give up the idea of a 2 car garage. You might want to check out south Point Breeze as well. The area south of Penn Ave and west of South Dallas might have something that will work. But again, you will need to give up that large garage. It will require patience, so I'd rent a place until you find the right house, becuase then you have some freedom in choosing.

Outside of the city, not too many options. My first choice would be Aspinwall because of the school district and investment along the river there. My second choice would be Oakmont, but it has terrible options for public transit and is a longer commute than is Aspinwall. Both of these towns are walkable and good examples of locations more plentiful in other cities but not Pittsburgh. I would potentially consider Belleview, but that location is a bit of a longer term project than the prior two mentioned, and it more polluted but that coal plant is closing or has closed.

There are some locations in the North Hills that might fit the bill. I think you mentioned that spot in Wexford that is somewhat walkable, but it is limited. I think there are some parts in Allison Park that might be worth exploring, but then I'm really grasping at straws because there aren't many option. You said that Mt Lebo was too far or that would fit the bill.

There are potential options farther out, but probably too much of a drive for working in Bloomfield.

Last edited:
We're having some heart to hearts about it out.
Her wishlist is more related to close commutes into the city. So being 20-30 minutes out is going to be a problem, more so than the walkability.
Or as she put it "What's the point of moving to Pittsburgh if we're not living near Pittsburgh?"

So it looks like my choices are hope for an Unicorn, live in the city, or back out of it.
Well, I guess my question would be why is such a close commute into the city of Pittsburgh so important to her? Is she going to have a job located downtown? I love this city and I love how it has prospered over the last decade. But going into downtown is a selective thing for select events unless you work there, like social events, sporting events, particular restaurants located there, etc. Am I making sense? Not so sure why being 20 minutes out is such an issue. And not everything worth visiting is located downtown. They can be spread throughout Allegheny County. I know you get this, but you have a youngster - quality education will continue to be more and more important. Unless you want to go private (certainly an option, but it is expensive), you really have to live in the suburbs.

Well, I guess my question would be why is such a close commute into the city of Pittsburgh so important to her? Is she going to have a job located downtown? I love this city and I love how it has prospered over the last decade. But going into downtown is a selective thing for select events unless you work there, like social events, sporting events, particular restaurants located there, etc. Am I making sense? Not so sure why being 20 minutes out is such an issue. And not everything worth visiting is located downtown. They can be spread throughout Allegheny County. I know you get this, but you have a youngster - quality education will continue to be more and more important. Unless you want to go private (certainly an option, but it is expensive), you really have to live in the suburbs.

I think his wife doesn't want to have to get in the car every single time she goes somewhere. Many burbs are designed so that you MUST use the car to go somewhere, else you risk getting hit walking on the road. There aren't too many places like that with a good school and with an easy commute to Bloomfield.

She'll be working from home for her job..so as she put it "If the only people I see during the day are people who are home because they don't work, just turn down the job".

I getting on board with living in the city, because it will help ease the transition from a pretty cool food scene by replicating it by living close to the same things.
Plus, my commute would be much better...as I'll likely be working long hours in this gig.

I think his wife doesn't want to have to get in the car every single time she goes somewhere. Many burbs are designed so that you MUST use the car to go somewhere, else you risk getting hit walking on the road. There aren't too many places like that with a good school and with an easy commute to Bloomfield.

I think the new plan is find a decent elementary school district...and hope the HS catches up.
If it doesn't, we'll plan on the private route.

But, you've pretty much nailed it. She wants the benefits of the city, without having do drive 30 minutes for them.

Which is pretty much how we live now...a nice neighborhood in a nice house, but a 20-30 minute commute to good restaurants in Durham or Raleigh. Chapel Hill are closer.

I've been to the dew drop inn in Natrona Heights. that alone is worth moving there, rt. 28 traffic be damned..

Do Drop Inn. And as a not so proud resident....umm......no. This is hell. It is OK I guess. But no way would I choose to move back here. It is like the land that time forgot.

Hey Souf,

Have you checked out the Newbury Market development in South Fayette? It wont be diverse at all but from the little bit I've read about it (never seen it), it seems like a new development built in the old-fashioned way with sidewalks, community park and shops all within walking distance.

In Suburbia, you dont see Squirrel Hill or Shadyside-type neighborhoods. Yea, you'll have Mt. Lebo or Sewickley but othet than that, what you are seeking doesn't really exist here. But this Newbury Market plan seems like its goal is to revisit the way we think of suburban neighborhoods, blending your grandparents walkable neighborhood with high income Suburbia.

That is years off. They do not have an anchor store. Giant Eagle was supposed to anchor the developement but they purchased the Shop and Save on Washington Pike. Plus the houses are closer to 600-750k and taxed like Nevillewood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT