ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: what's the deal Pittsburgh?

Edgewood is a bear to get on the parkway but I lived in regent square for a few years while in college. Loved it. Just stay away from wilkinsburg. I found lots of gay couples and elderly residents. Beautiful area

recruits mentioned Braddock. It's a compelling option. Smart buy too.

Why center on Western PA?

There's endless options for what you're looking for in Eastern PA and Central/South NJ. And you're close to the beach (where the properties are more affordable than you think).
No shortage of diverse, walkable towns in these parts.

It's not me who is the problem..
Wife will be working from home, and she wants to not feel isolated from society. So, if she wants to stroll with her laptop to get a coffee, that's what where we'll live.

Problem with the suburb sidewalks is they all end in the neighborhoods, is what we've seen. So, then you're walking down a winding hilly road to some place.

Aspinwall...
Wife came home today and suggested regent square /Edgewood north of th tunnel.
Looks promising .

We drove by the south side

If you haven't looked at Aspinwall I think you're making a mistake.

That has everything you are looking for imo.

How much of a rising star can he be when he ran for the US Senate but you think he ran for the State Senate? Must not have made much of an impression on you. Or, given his vote totals, anyone else.

:)
Joe.

You don't always have to be the boards savant. Honestly I did not realize I "state" senator. Of course I meant Toomeys spot. Which is a US Senator.

Oh by the way I realize I missed an apostrophe to make Toomey's possessive and not plural. Just too lazy to change but thanks for pointing out all our shortcomings.

Reactions: rpost3
Take that 500 build a brand new house in north Huntington and pay some minorities to be your friend to quench your hunger for diversity.

Everyone wins.....

Reactions: drunkinoakland
My sister lives just outside oakmont but it's plum school district.

They like it.

I live in westmoreland county and commute 3 days a week to the city.

That suits me just fine.

Aspinwall...

If you haven't looked at Aspinwall I think you're making a mistake.

That has everything you are looking for imo.
Except for houses for sale we like.
We checked out every 3 bedroom 2 bath house the past month .

One great house came on the market but we couldn't travel that week because of obligations here . It was sold the following week. We even made an offer just as a back up in case the sale falls through .

So in addition to all your must haves a house must pop up immediately to your liking as well?

Who's the only child you or your wife?

Reactions: billyberoux
Joe.

You don't always have to be the boards savant. Honestly I did not realize I "state" senator. Of course I meant Toomeys spot. Which is a US Senator.

Oh by the way I realize I missed an apostrophe to make Toomey's possessive and not plural. Just too lazy to change but thanks for pointing out all our shortcomings.

For someone who obviously considers himself to have a good sense of humor it's interesting how often humor goes right over your head.

So in addition to all your must haves a house must pop up immediately to your liking as well?

Who's the only child you or your wife?
No,
Just explaining we are At a disadvantage since we are 500 miles away .
So we missed out on a great aspinwall home.
Working with a realtor in the area and cruising apps several times a day

No,
Just explaining we are At a disadvantage since we are 500 miles away .
So we missed out on a great aspinwall home.
Working with a realtor in the area and cruising apps several times a day

Just kidding.

Take it easy.....

Finally you and and I can converse about something civilly. Let's stretch this out.

500k should get you a lot of house. Challenge is diverse, outside of the city, new, and with things you can walk to.

Wexford is in the NA school district. It is an amazing district that still cooperates very well with small catholic schools. Has some racial diversity, but limited economic diversity. May be a tough commute.

Aspinwall must must must be investigated. Fox Chapel schools are also very good, but not as good as NA as the district loses many students to Shadyside Academy, etc. School does have good economic diversity. 28 to 40th st. Isn't too bad.

Friendship is home to many residents at AWP. Not sure how kid friendly this would be. Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are awesome, but may be out of your budget. Regent Square is really great, but I cannot vouch for the current state of academics at Woodland Hills. At one time the education there was outstanding, but I am not sure that is still the case. Speaking of Woodland Hills, while the mayor of Braddock is an amazing individual you will not want to live there. Owt was messing with you while not telling a single lie.

I would also consider a quick investigation of Millvalle. Some cool shops, including an amazing French bakery. Cool park on the river. You could bike along the river to Heinz Field for Pitt games. Could gentrify with the completion of 28. Would be a very short commute. You would have a ton left over to spend on other things, perhaps updates or a private school. Bad news is the district, Shaler, is big but not outstanding.

Also, for schools it seems once one is in Pittsburgh, MANY excellent choices are available, and free, and not neighborhood bound. Furthermore, unlike NA and most private schools it is easier to have a great class rank.

I really don't recommend Crafton or the South Hills. These would be really bad commutes. BTW, to gauge commute times, I have found Google Maps to be very accurate. Just run the simulation at the right time of day. This helped keep me out of trouble planning for departures from New Castle to Etna to who knows what gym ir field scattered across the greater Pittsburgh area.

PS to buy time, I would not rule out renting in Friendship, or Millvalle, or Sharpsburg, or Aspinwall.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobfree
Thanka
500k should get you a lot of house. Challenge is diverse, outside of the city, new, and with things you can walk to.

Wexford is in the NA. It is an amazing district that still cooperates very well with small catholic schools. Has some racial diversity, but limited economic diversity. May be a tough commute.

Aspinwall must must must be investigated. Fox Chapel schools are also very good, but not as good as NA as the district loses many students to Shadyside Academy, etc. School does have good economic diversity. 28 to 40th st. Isn't too bad.

Friendship is home to many residents at AWP. Not sure how kid friendly this would be. Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are awesome, but may be out of your budget. Regent Square is really great, but I cannot vouch for the current state of academics at Woodland Hills. At one time the education there was outstanding, but I am not sure that is still the case. Speaking of Woodland Hills, while the mayor of Braddock is an amazing individual you will not want to live there. Owt was messing with you while not telling a single lie.

I would also consider a quick investigation of Millvalle. Some cool shops, including an amazing French bakery. Cool park on the river. You could bike along the river to Heinz Field for Pitt games. Could gentrify with the completion of 28. Would be a very short commute. Good news is you would have a ton left over to spend on other things, perhaps updates or a private school. Bad news is the district, Shaler, is big but not outstanding.

Also, for schools it seems once one is in Pittsburgh, MANY excellent choices are available, and free, and not neighborhood bound. Furthermore, unlike NA and most private schools it is easier to have a great class rank.

I really don't recommend Crafton or the south Hills. These would be really bad commutes. BTW, to gauge commute times, I have found Google Maps to be very accurate. Just run the simulation at the right time of day. This helped Keep me out of trouble planning for departures from New Castle to Etna to who knows what gym ir field scattered across the greater Pittsburgh area.
thanks , peet

Hey Souf,

Have you checked out the Newbury Market development in South Fayette? It wont be diverse at all but from the little bit I've read about it (never seen it), it seems like a new development built in the old-fashioned way with sidewalks, community park and shops all within walking distance.

In Suburbia, you dont see Squirrel Hill or Shadyside-type neighborhoods. Yea, you'll have Mt. Lebo or Sewickley but othet than that, what you are seeking doesn't really exist here. But this Newbury Market plan seems like its goal is to revisit the way we think of suburban neighborhoods, blending your grandparents walkable neighborhood with high income Suburbia.

Thanka

thanks , peet
Re Regent Square or Edgewood. Woodland Hills isn't a good school but should be easy for your kid to be near the top of the class. Their performing arts program is good though and they usually win the Gene Kelly CLO awards.

If your kid isn't a turd, school district won't stop him from being prepared for college. I'm from one of the poorest areas in the state with bad schools and kids routinely do well at Ivy schools, Patriot schools, ND, and the like. Hell, you guys think I'm a moron and I have a MA.

Last edited:
anyone moving into Pittsburgh would be crazy not to consider NA. If it is sidewalks and walking you want, the development at McCandles Crossing offers that. Diversity? I think 10% asian, but as mentioned previously your kids aren't going to be dining with many free lunch students. And the commute into town is pretty good. They win at every sport and if they don't win they fire the coach and pay top dollar to bring in a better coach.

I would love to live in the city, but no way would I send my kids to PPS. Allderdice is decent, but still half the class has a wrap sheet.

Millvale as previously mentioned has a lot of potential now that they finally figured out Girty's Run. But the houses are mainly row houses that don't appear to be well constructed and need a lot of work. And Shaler schools are kind of meh.

Re Regent Square or Edgewood. Woodland Hills isn't a good school but should be easy for your kid to be near the top of the class. Their performing arts program is good though and they usually win the Gene Kelly CLO awards.

If your kid isn't a turd, school district won't stop him from being prepared for college. I'm from one of the poorest areas in the state with bad schools and kids routinely do well at Ivy schools, Patriot schools, ND, and the like. Hell, you guys think I'm a moron and I have an MA.

Not a moron but definitely a card carrying nitter.

The lack of diversity is a given in most any neighborhood, especially suburbs of Pittsburgh.
We went with a completely open mind about every part of the city and even the burbs.
Hell, we checked out Mexican War Streets and the Manchester section of the North Side.
Highland Park is a nice area- just the schools are shit.

Still hoping for some unicorn house in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside.

In otherwords, the plain suburban whiteness is a big part of why we stopped looking in the burbs. That and because they are all isolated from society.
As a parent with young children living in Highland Park -- I'll try not to be offended! My kids are thriving at PPS and our neighborhood is filling with young families.
Good luck with your search.

The Crafton commute to Hot Metal area is an easy one if you know the back routes. We aren't really South Hills either...more an extension of the West End.

Go west young man. try the town of Beaver. Beautiful housing stock, shops and sidewalks. The Beaver schools are rated very high and take in kids fromMidland (got diversity covered). Hidden gem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT