ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup Draw Friday morning

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
We will learn our World Cup opponents by lunch time Friday. The last of the qualification matches are tonight, with 2 intercontinental play in games to be played in June to decide the last two spots in the field of 32.

the US plays their last match tonight, and unless they lose by 6 goals, they’ll be headed to Qatar.

teams have been placed into 4 separate pots for tomorrow’s draw. Each team will be drawn into a group of 4 with 1 team from each of the 3 other pots. The pots are tiered, with Pot 1 being the strongest teams and pot 4 theoretically the weakest.

all the teams from Pot 1 will be drawn into 8 different groups. Then Pot 2 will be drawn and place one team in those 8 groups. Then Pot 3. Then pot 4.

pot 1 is the top 7 ranked teams in the field along with host nation Qatar.

With the USA being ranked firmly between #10-15 in the World, we will be in Pot 2. What this means is the USMNT will have 1 of the top 7 teams in the field (or Qatar) in their group, and then a team from pot 3 and a team from pot 4 in their group.

we can’t have a team from our region in our group like Canada and Mexico, so our group will likely have an elite team from Pot 1 and then 2 lower ranked teams that can come from South America, Asia or Africa.

below is a simulator that shows what our group can potentially look like.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I freaking hate the world cup being at the same time as college football. Hate it. Won't be able to watch most games live.

I freaking hate the world cup being at the same time as college football. Hate it. Won't be able to watch most games live.
One great thing about these international soccer events is they occur in the summer when we are starved for live sports other than MLB. It is a shame that this year the tourney will occur at a time when we will have NFL, NBA, NHL, CFB, and CBB.

Reactions: ratking17
I am sure the Pitt/Miami ACC Coastal Championship game will be directly opposite a crucial USMNT game.

This whole Qatar thing is an absolute mess. The players are getting released by their clubs only 7 days before the WC. No friendlies. No time to train. Its like when the NHL goes to the Olympics.

When Qatar bought its bid, people were voting on a summer World Cup with their promised cooling technology. After buying their bid, they said the cooling technology wouldn't work so instead of doing one of these 2 things:

a) telling them to build a roof on their stadiums

Or

b) re-voting since Qatar's bid would be a winter WC

They just allowed them to move to the winter. Sucks for Americans being its up against the NFL, College Football, and the NBA. Ratings will be terrible in comparison to what could have been.

Reactions: ratking17
I am sure the Pitt/Miami ACC Coastal Championship game will be directly opposite a crucial USMNT game.

This whole Qatar thing is an absolute mess. The players are getting released by their clubs only 7 days before the WC. No friendlies. No time to train. Its like when the NHL goes to the Olympics.

When Qatar bought its bid, people were voting on a summer World Cup with their promised cooling technology. After buying their bid, they said the cooling technology wouldn't work so instead of doing one of these 2 things:

Or

They just allowed them to move to the winter. Sucks for Americans being its up against the NFL, College Football, and the NBA. Ratings will be terrible in comparison to what could have been.
This is what DVR is for, I already have mine set to record every game of Steelers, Pitt FB & BB, USAMNT etc. if they go head to head, football will trump soccer for me, and I'll watch soccer later.

Reactions: Guyasuta Genac

Or

November is mid-fall and so what? The games will probably be at odd times in the US and if Pitt ain't playing while the US team plays it's no sweat. Much bigger problems in the world than this.

November is mid-fall and so what? The games will probably be at odd times in the US and if Pitt ain't playing while the US team plays it's no sweat. Much bigger problems in the world than this.
Like Chick Fil A Drive through. Games are at 5AM, 8AM, 11AM, and 2 PM most days so they will directly conflict with Pitt's noon game.

Will lasers be allowed?
That was crazy. I wonder how much that played a part in Egypt missing like all their PKs. Credit to the Senaglase fans though since they got away with it. I was rooting for them anyway. I hate to see all those North African countries take all the WC bids. I think North Africa + the Middle East should be its own confederation. Those Arab teams take all the African and Asian bids. I dont like that.

Yes but it is the beauty of sports to watch things...live......as they happen.
That's true, but over time, I've learned to be very disciplined and seriously avoid a result until I can watch something. Sometimes I choose to not watch something live just because I don't like the time it's on.

Like Chick Fil A Drive through. Games are at 5AM, 8AM, 11AM, and 2 PM most days so they will directly conflict with Pitt's noon game.
If those are the game times, I won't be watching any of it live, DVR and avoid the score or social media. I often watch Pitt's noon games at 5pm as it is.

The problem with using DVR is avoiding any type of spoilers...social media, news, other people who watched it live.

The problem with using DVR is avoiding any type of spoilers...social media, news, other people who watched it live.
I know, I tell people that might inform me not to contact me today. And where I live, I likely won't hear any Pittsburgh results randomly. And soccer results, most people I know don't care about soccer.

That was crazy. I wonder how much that played a part in Egypt missing like all their PKs. Credit to the Senaglase fans though since they got away with it. I was rooting for them anyway. I hate to see all those North African countries take all the WC bids. I think North Africa + the Middle East should be its own confederation. Those Arab teams take all the African and Asian bids. I dont like that.
Credit the fans? Of course YOU would say that. That is absolute bull$hit! Not only were hundreds of people shining lasers at the shooters, but they were pointing them into the opposing GK’s eyes. They’ve opened Pandora’s box and I don’t know how you legislate and/or control that. I follow a lot of soccer and travel to alot of places, and people can label me whatever they want I don’t care…but american culture trumps all and I see too much negative stuff creep into the worlds game that isnt flattering. And it’s because of the other cultures. They can all bitch about us calling it soccer or calling the pitch a field, or calling a penalty a pk…but we we don’t do $hit like that.

Credit the fans? Of course YOU would say that. That is absolute bull$hit! Not only were hundreds of people shining lasers at the shooters, but they were pointing them into the opposing GK’s eyes. They’ve opened Pandora’s box and I don’t know how you legislate and/or control that. I follow a lot of soccer and travel to alot of places, and people can label me whatever they want I don’t care…but american culture trumps all and I see too much negative stuff creep into the worlds game that isnt flattering. And it’s because of the other cultures. They can all bitch about us calling it soccer or calling the pitch a field, or calling a penalty a pk…but we we don’t do $hit like that.
SMF:

support-team.gif

I say credit them because they helped the team win. Was it wrong? Yes. Should they be fined, suspended, play qualifiers next time without fans? Yes. But just like when the Cincy fans stormed the field to block the endzone when Shady would have scored, you have to credit the fans for playing a direct part in the result. If the officials arent going to do anything about it, you take every advantage.

BTW, that Senegal stadium was awesome looking. And they had the LED lights at intermission and stuff. Wasnt expecting that. Some of those African stadiums are rough.

I'm definitely glad Egypt is out because I don't like that like 25% of WC bids go to Arab teams who arent very good but if I had to pick an Arab team to make it, I would have wanted Egypt due to Salah.

You legislate if by having the ref put a complete stop to the game. And if it doesn’t stop they can settle the winner/loser in an empty stadium.

You legislate if by having the ref put a complete stop to the game. And if it doesn’t stop they can settle the winner/loser in an empty stadium.
That’s fine. Let’s see them do it. And if they do, they are also saying they don’t care about homophobic chants belted out from Mexican stadiums.

That is absolutely what they should have done. But what if the fans dont leave? I was watching the NEC Championship game between Bryant and Wagner and there was a brawl between the Bryant students and Wagner families/players. The Bryant AD took the mic and said the game willl be completed without fans. The Wagner fans left. The Bryant fans didnt. So they allowed the Bryant fans to stay which was completely wrong.

Fan behavior is getting completely out of control. There was that huge Liga MX brawl, African lasers, Will Smith acting like a Neanderthal, etc. People just doing whatever they want.

I say credit them because they helped the team win. Was it wrong? Yes. Should they be fined, suspended, play qualifiers next time without fans? Yes. But just like when the Cincy fans stormed the field to block the endzone when Shady would have scored, you have to credit the fans for playing a direct part in the result. If the officials arent going to do anything about it, you take every advantage.

BTW, that Senegal stadium was awesome looking. And they had the LED lights at intermission and stuff. Wasnt expecting that. Some of those African stadiums are rough.

I'm definitely glad Egypt is out because I don't like that like 25% of WC bids go to Arab teams who arent very good but if I had to pick an Arab team to make it, I would have wanted Egypt due to Salah.
Back to the draw, a couple of those African teams won’t be easy. I prefer not to be grouped with Senegal especially. Mendy, who is one of my favorite players, is arguably one of the best keepers in the world.

Will Smith acting like a Neanderthal, etc. People just doing whatever they want.
Speaking of, I heard a recent poll conducted by a pollster called Blue something of other. They concluded that 52% of Americans approved of Will Smiths behavior. But what skewed it that way were young Americans, otherwise an overwhelming majority of the country didn’t approve.

so maybe my rant about American culture doesn’t hold true and we are on a moral decline.

That’s fine. Let’s see them do it. And if they do, they are also saying they don’t care about homophobic chants belted out from Mexican stadiums.
The same should apply there.

I’ve never been to a soccer game and have only recently started watching a little. Or match. Or whatever, who cares. But when you see one on tv that has a good atmosphere it looks like the most fun you can have at a sporting event. It’s different than anything I’ve seen on tv. The flip side (lasers, bigotry/hatred, hooliganism) is disgraceful and needs to be rooted out.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I don't care at all about the homophobic chants! Pissed me off that one USA/Mexico game they stopped for ten minutes over that, I DEFINATELY DON'T CARE

The Cup starts on Nov 21. The only possible conflict would be with the Miami game on the 26th.

Anyone see Algeria/Cameroon? They were tied on aggregate and in extra time Algeria scored what everyone thought was the winner in the 115th minute but then Cameroon scored in the 121st and 124th to win it. So glad to see Morocco and Tunisia as the only North African qualifiers. Out of the 5 North African nations in CAF, 2 qualified, and Libya barely fields a team. Then out of the 50 or so CAF teams from Sub-Saharan Africa, only 3 made it

I hope he is on a soccer board somewhere asking someone whose mom was featured before the game on the scoreboard at the Silverdome as proof he was at the game.
The only reason I do that is because of the folks with intellectual disabilities that say time and time again I'm not a Pitt fan. My comeback is, I'm a fan and I go to most games and you arent because you don't.

So glad to see Morocco and Tunisia as the only North African qualifiers. Out of the 5 North African nations in CAF, 2 qualified, and Libya barely fields a team. Then out of the 50 or so CAF teams from Sub-Saharan Africa, only 3 made it

Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about CONCACAF? Three automatic qualifiers, all three from the "North America" part of the confederation, none from the "Central America" or "Caribbean" parts of the confederation.

What the World Cup needs is fewer Mexicos and United States and more Guatemalas and Arubas, right?

I think the solution is simpler than that. You announce that if the fans don't stop shining the light in the PK taker's eyes that the penalty will be automatically scored. 30 seconds later the fans haven't stopped, 1-0, on to the next shooter. Now the fans won't stop shining the light in the goalie's eyes, 30 seconds, still haven't stopped, 1-0, on to the next shooter. Keep doing that until the fans either stop or you've "completed" three rounds and it's 3-0 and we have a winner.

Refs have to stop the garbage that saleh went through and crap from the Mexican fans

When it expands in 4 years to 48 teams no one can complain then.

I think they said the same thing when the NCAA basketball tournament expanded to 48 teams, and then 52 teams, and then 53 teams, and then 64 teams, and then 65 teams, and then 68 teams.

How'd that work out?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT