ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...centennial-football-disbanded-0818-story.html

Here's the story, the TV news reported that 86 kids tried out for soccer, which is totally believable at this particular school, it's adjacent to the Soccer Association of Columbia, with it's complex of 16 soccer fields and it's 6000 players between the ages of 4-19, so probably every kid in that neighborhood probably played at least a season or two of soccer. Or don't believe me, you're not here so you can't know.

There are a few things about that area of Maryland.

1. It is a affluent suburban community.
2. The demographics, specifically the schools in EIlicott City, have changed from what they were 30 years ago.
3. That school and others has a larger population that focuses on education.
4. It really is not that large a school, ~1200 this year.
5. The area has the second largest soccer program in the state at 6,500 kids.
6. Youth lacrosse also has larger programs the the local football program.
7. The local football program also disappeared about 25 years ago but has since returned albeit in smaller numbers.

Link to article, http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...centennial-football-disbanded-0818-story.html
Not sure where the number 86 came from for soccer. The number is probably more like 40.
I live here, the 86 is legit and possible, most every school in the vicinity gets 40-50 kids at least for tryouts boys and girls, that 6500 kid program (SAC) is across the woods behind the football stadium from that school, I think it has about 1500 students, which is not small.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...centennial-football-disbanded-0818-story.html

Here's the story, the TV news reported that 86 kids tried out for soccer, which is totally believable at this particular school, it's adjacent to the Soccer Association of Columbia, with it's complex of 16 soccer fields and it's 6000 players between the ages of 4-19, so probably every kid in that neighborhood probably played at least a season or two of soccer. Or don't believe me, you're not here so you can't know.

I am on the SAC Board and we have 9 fields. SoccerPlex in Germantown has 24. As for tryout numbers. 86 is rather high. Also the local media is clueless and basically ignores high school sports unless it is a private school.

In this area, I'm shocked when I drive past a little league baseball game or a youth football practice, because nobody here plays those sports. There are barely even any baseball field anywhere to be found.

I am on the SAC Board and we have 9 fields. SoccerPlex in Germantown has 24. As for tryout numbers. 86 is rather high. Also the local media is clueless and basically ignores high school sports unless it is a private school.

You have 9 fields? what about the grass fields behind the picnic shelter, field #10 and higher, I think it's at least 14-15. You may be on the board but my daughter has played games there every year since 2012, so I've been there many times recently.

OK I see you are right, I was thinking in terms of the split fields for the U12, 9 full size fields.

Whether its 9 fields or 14 the existence of SAC right there I think has an influence on what sports the kids at that school play, the point is in that area, soccer is probably the #1 sport for kids and there aren't even many opportunities to play other sport other than maybe basketball, volleyball or track. .

There are a few things about that area of Maryland.

1. It is a affluent suburban community.
2. The demographics, specifically the schools in EIlicott City, have changed from what they were 30 years ago.
3. That school and others has a larger population that focuses on education.
4. It really is not that large a school, ~1200 this year.
5. The area has the second largest soccer program in the state at 6,500 kids. The largest has about 10,000.
6. Youth lacrosse also has larger programs the the local football program.
7. The local youth football program also disappeared about 25 years ago but has since returned albeit in smaller numbers.

Link to article, http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...centennial-football-disbanded-0818-story.html
Not sure where the number 86 came from for soccer. The number is probably more like 40.

Thanks, Makes sense now.

I didn’t read the article yet. But I can tell you that that the largest schools in WPIAL can have as many as 60-65 kids trying out for soccer.

Yes but those same schools also don't have 14 kids going out for football either. That is my point.

In this area, I'm shocked when I drive past a little league baseball game or a youth football practice, because nobody here plays those sports. There are barely even any baseball field anywhere to be found.

Then why do we suck in soccer if these other sports are so dominant? You soccer geeks make up more excuses that I can even imagine to justify why. It boils down to ONE thing. THE best athletes and by far the best athletes do not play kickball. Sorry. They don't.

Then why do we suck in soccer if these other sports are so dominant? You soccer geeks make up more excuses that I can even imagine to justify why. It boils down to ONE thing. THE best athletes and by far the best athletes do not play kickball. Sorry. They don't.
Because this is just one small area, in one state, I didn't say soccer was dominant where YOU live, I said it's pretty dominant where I live. Where I live many of the best athletes absolutely do pass on football for soccer. WHERE I LIVE, I didn't say anywhere else.

Because this is just one small area, in one state, I didn't say soccer was dominant where YOU live, I said it's pretty dominant where I live. Where I live many of the best athletes absolutely do pass on football for soccer. WHERE I LIVE, I didn't say anywhere else.

As noted above, Lacrosse is a huge sport in our area and unlike football, soccer and lacrosse are played in HS and club in the Sprint, Summer and Fall.

I love football, I wouldn't want it's demise, although it's not as good as it used to be, with replay and too many nitpicky rules slowing down the action. But I wouldn't even notice if baseball went away, I almost never watch it.

Maybe not 14 but there are a number of other HS in HoCo that have low numbers.
I figure it's because not many kids grow up playing football in that area, most probably play soccer at SAC for at least a few years. Does HoCo have a youth football league? I don't have a son, I have a daughter, so I never cared to learn if there was football for kids?

As noted above, Lacrosse is a huge sport in our area and unlike football, soccer and lacrosse are played in HS and club in the Sprint, Summer and Fall.
True enough, a lot of kids even do lacrosse in spring and soccer in fall.

I figure it's because not many kids grow up playing football in that area, most probably play soccer at SAC for at least a few years. Does HoCo have a youth football league? I don't have a son, I have a daughter, so I never cared to learn if there was football for kids?
They do. I think the number is 4. WarHawks and Ellicott City Hurricanes, Ellicott City Patriots and Columbia Ravens. Like I said earlier there was youth football in the county 30 years ago and it went away. All of these clubs are ~10 years old.

There are 2 rugby clubs in the area. Unfortunately they are flag rugby.

Yeah. Because is croatia, I do not think people understand. It’s not like it was the US that beat Argentina. People can cap on US soccer, but we are still a top 30 type team. But we’ve never had a collection of talent like Croatia currently has.

Yesterday was only an upset because Argentina was considered a legit contender to win the whole thing. But Croatia doing the damage is not shocking at all.

-They took 3rd in 1998 and beat up Germany and Holland both in that tournament. If that tournament wasnt on French soil they probably would have been the World Cup Champions in 1998. Its not like its a one off, they have beaten top team after top team all over the place. Beat Italy in the World Cup, knocked out Spain in the Euro Championship. This small country of 4 million people is the biggest giant slayer in Soccer. Very dangerous going into the knockout stage.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I didn’t read the article. But the bottom line is this. If you’re a kid in Germany and want to be a good gridiron football player, you need to get over here and play with and against the best football players. If you’re a good American kid playing soccer, you better get to Europe and play and train in the academies over there. There’s a reason why Christian Pulisic is playing at a world class level. It’s because he’s talented, pedigreed and went to a Europe to develop.

I didn’t read the article. But the bottom line is this. If you’re a kid in Germany and want to be a good gridiron football player, you need to get over here and play with and against the best football players. If you’re a good American kid playing soccer, you better get to Europe and play and train in the academies over there. There’s a reason why Christian Pulisic is playing at a world class level. It’s because he’s talented, pedigreed and went to a Europe to develop.
Even if a kid has super talent, how many parents would send a middle teen out of home, out of high school to Europe to concentrate on soccer? Maybe a lot, I wouldn't though, I'd figure get a college scholarship and do your best, MLS or if you flop, at least you have a degree. Look at Freddie Adu, did he even graduate high school? In the end he was kind of a bust in soccer.

Even if a kid has super talent, how many parents would send a middle teen out of home, out of high school to Europe to concentrate on soccer? Maybe a lot, I wouldn't though, I'd figure get a college scholarship and do your best, MLS or if you flop, at least you have a degree. Look at Freddie Adu, did he even graduate high school? In the end he was kind of a bust in soccer.
It’s why we will never be good. That’s not going to change in our lifetime.

You guys do realize, the next gen consists of kids playing with the biggest clubs. Weah, Pulisic, McKinnie, etc. are bad ass. While it was a friendly, and we did get lucky, the kids tied France - without Pulisic or Weah.

You guys do realize, the next gen consists of kids playing with the biggest clubs. Weah, Pulisic, McKinnie, etc. are bad ass. While it was a friendly, and we did get lucky, the kids tied France - without Pulisic or Weah.
Yes I do realize that. Although I wouldnt say bad ass.

But we need kids in mass to move to Europe and come through their academy Systems. Unless parents want to ship their kids to Europe, we will never have more than a handful of players developing there. They won’t develop here playing and training with each other.

And as far as the France game, if thats how you want to compete, have at it. I remember beating Spain 10 years ago. But nothing has changed.

You seem to know a bit. Do you know anything about Kyle Scott? Did he play in that game vs France? For those who don’t know, he’s an American international who essentially grew up in England (I think) and is currently in the Chelsea system. He played with the Chelsea senior team last year in their summer exhibitions in China, and he may have got a few minutes playing FA Cup/League Cup matches. I doubt he ever gets a shot full time with a club like Chelsea...but it is cool to see an American in that uniform.

I hear that. How many Costa Rican kids or Trinidad and Tobagan kids are going to Europe to develop? The above description maybe why we can't beat a Germany or Spain, but we can't beat CONCAF countries to qualify?

Again, US soccer aficionados have more excuses than China has people.

I hear that. How many Costa Rican kids or Trinidad and Tobagan kids are going to Europe to develop? The above description maybe why we can't beat a Germany or Spain, but we can't beat CONCAF countries to qualify?

Very good point, and it isn’t realistic to send American kids to Europe for the most part. What about the kid who goes to Europe flames out? Does he even have a high school degree? Can he quality for a college scholarship? Seems like a ridiculous risk unless the kid is a freakin prodigy.

Perhaps we need a few more places like IMG academy. Kids get specialized training, still go to school and have a great shot at a college scholarship if they aren’t USMNT or quality pro material.

Reactions: Pitt79

I just think we had a bad World Cup qualifying run last year and strung together some bad performances. Trinidad and Tobago to the US is like Iceland was to Argentina a few days ago. That’s what happens in Soccer. But I don’t see guys as making excuses. We are what we are. But the question always gets asked and we are used to being good at essentially everything. I just think everyone has an explanation. No other country has to compete with Football, basketball, hockey and baseball like we do here. But you would think that a country of 350 million could produce better players regardless of how many are lost to other sports.

this players tribune article from Christian Pulisic bears revisiting. He explains why he had an advantage that no other Americans had. He had dual citizenship that allowed him to play in Europe. Whereas typical Americans are not able to go over there to play until 18.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/christian-pulisic-usmnt-world-cup

So be it then, my kids life is more important than him maybe having a 10% chance to be a top pro and a 90% chance to have no education 5 years from now struggling on a USL salary.

It's OK for the Europeans because their kids can do this and live at home and continue their normal routine and schooling.

The Croatian captain said the game plan was to keep the ball away from Messi.

We watched this game in the town square in Zagreb. Was pretty crazy to see. There is actually a restaurant right off the main square called “Argentina.”
Heading to Croatia and Zagreb. Any Steeler bars.
Any restaurant recommendations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT