ADVERTISEMENT

OT: wow: panther men's soccer recruiting class ranking!!!

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
The Pitt soccer coaching hires have been unreal. We have a Nick Saban/ Coach K type recruiter on the men's side. This is unreal...the men's recruiting class after NLI day last week is #5 in the country!

1) UCLA
2) Wake
3) Portland
4) Cal
5) Pitt
Commitments: GK Johan Penaranda (NYCFC – No. 21), D Chandler Vaughn (DC United – No. 27), F Nykolas Sessock(Philadelphia Union – No. 120), M Rodrigo Almeida (Montverde Academy), D Facindo Costantini (Montverde Academy), M/F Alec Townsend (DC United), Jared Juleau (New York Red Bulls)

Transfers: D Peter Prescott (Creighton)

Johan Penaranda’s commitment to Pitt on the eve of Signing Day is part of the reason the program vaults into the top five. There’s more to come from head coach Jay Vidovich for this class, so look for the Panthers to climb the ladder in the ACC this fall.

6) Clemson
7) Duke
8) Stanford
9) Virginia
10) Akron

On the Womens side, expect to see the same once our new coach has an entire recruiting cycle behind him.

Start planning your evenings at the Peterson Sports Facility next fall. Should be a lot of fun!

The Pitt soccer coaching hires have been unreal. We have a Nick Saban/ Coach K type recruiter on the men's side. This is unreal...the men's recruiting class after NLI day last week is #5 in the country!

1) UCLA
2) Wake
3) Portland
4) Cal
5) Pitt
Commitments: GK Johan Penaranda (NYCFC – No. 21), D Chandler Vaughn (DC United – No. 27), F Nykolas Sessock(Philadelphia Union – No. 120), M Rodrigo Almeida (Montverde Academy), D Facindo Costantini (Montverde Academy), M/F Alec Townsend (DC United), Jared Juleau (New York Red Bulls)

Johan Penaranda’s commitment to Pitt on the eve of Signing Day is part of the reason the program vaults into the top five. There’s more to come from head coach Jay Vidovich for this class, so look for the Panthers to climb the ladder in the ACC this fall.

6) Clemson
7) Duke
8) Stanford
9) Virginia
10) Akron

Where did you see this? I thought topdrawer had is between 11-19?

I cant say I know a ton about soccer recruiting but seeing the clubs they got the players from, I thought Top 5 was a possibility. Was a little disappointed when top drawer didn't have us in the Top 10.

Guys, I'm telling you Vidovich may win a National Championship here. You may not like soccer, but if you like Pitt, come out to a few games. The atmosphere in some of those games last year was fantastic

Where did you see this? I thought topdrawer had is between 11-19?

I cant say I know a ton about soccer recruiting but seeing the clubs they got the players from, I thought Top 5 was a possibility. Was a little disappointed when top drawer didn't have us in the Top 10.

Guys, I'm telling you Vidovich may win a National Championship here. You may not like soccer, but if you like Pitt, come out to a few games. The atmosphere in some of those games last year was fantastic
No. what I posted last week on the Olympic sports board was the January ranking. This is the final ranking for the class.

Reactions: Jpripper88
All it takes is a top notch coach...and this shows that Pitt can be a player in any sport if the commitment is made. Who would have thought that our urban campus with no real significant history of soccer and un fertile local recruiting could ascend to such a level? This shows that it can be done in football and basketball if the right coach is hired.

All it takes is a top notch coach...and this shows that Pitt can be a player in any sport if the commitment is made. Who would have thought that our urban campus with no real significant history of soccer and un fertile local recruiting could ascend to such a level? This shows that it can be done in football and basketball if the right coach is hired.

Obviously a top-notch coach is all you need but as we know, its a heck of a lot cheaper to get a top-notch soccer coach than top-notch football or basketball coach.

I'll ask all on this board that went to Pitt....

Did not the appeal of being in a city with much to offer come into your decision? A 17 year old kid away from home.....so.much to so here relative to a true college town??

I believe this is a huge recruiting advantage. I can't help but think some of the soccer recruits like the idea of our city / atmosphere.

Congrats to the futbollers!!!

Obviously a top-notch coach is all you need but as we know, its a heck of a lot cheaper to get a top-notch soccer coach than top-notch football or basketball coach.
It is. But like I said, if the commitment was there...it can be done. The commitment can come from many different sources...

I'm not a fan of soccer, but this is nice to see and always great to breed a winning culture.

Can he coach basketball?

1) UCLA
2) Wake
3) Portland
4) Cal
5) Pitt

6) Clemson
7) Duke
8) Stanford
9) Virginia
10) Akron

On the Womens side, expect to see the same once our new coach has an entire recruiting cycle behind him.

Start planning your evenings at the Peterson Sports Facility next fall. Should be a lot of fun!

11-20--
Washington, Maryland, Notre Dame, Indiana, Butler, Georgetown, Louisville, Harvard, Loyola Marymount, St. John's

I'm not sure that an investment in a top notch soccer coach makes Pitt any richer. A top notch football coach just might.

I'm not sure that an investment in a top notch soccer coach makes Pitt any richer. A top notch football coach just might.

Actually, I'd imagine that the Vidovich hire means we will lose more money on men's soccer than we were under Luxbacher. But at some point, you have to try to be good at something.

Actually, I'd imagine that the Vidovich hire means we will lose more money on men's soccer than we were under Luxbacher. But at some point, you have to try to be good at something.
Nikki Izzo Brown at WVU built her women's soccer program from the ground up. She's the only coach in the history of the program. They were the best team in the country last year but were upset by USC in the national championship. She's topping out with bonuses around 250-300K. There is no way that program makes money. But conference membership brings a lot of $$ as we all know.

Let's kick Penn State's ass in soccer!
I've said it here a couple times in the past. We played PSU a couple months ago up on the hill. We beat them in OT but it wasn't even that close. The game had everything. I think even general Pitt fans who don't know soccer would have had a good time. There was physical play, yellow cards, red cards, great soccer and an OT win. Pitt outshot PSU like 35-10 or something ridiculous like that. The packed house (probably around 1000 people) went home happy.

At the introductory news conference when the Womens coach was announced last month, Lyke said that her goal is to have the PSU atmosphere for all Womens and men's games. With these two coaches, I think it's possible. It's a great day/night out for any sports/Pitt fans. Tickets are inexpensive and a couple beers and a bite to eat...can't beat it.

1) UCLA
2) Wake
3) Portland
4) Cal
5) Pitt

6) Clemson
7) Duke
8) Stanford
9) Virginia
10) Akron

This is fantastic news. I really like our AD, she understands the importance of getting good coaches or keeping good coaches. I think our future is bright. Hope she is around when we need a new bball coach too.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This is fantastic news. I really like our AD, she understands the importance of getting good coaches or keeping good coaches. I think our future is bright. Hope she is around when we need a new bball coach too.
You mean like in a few weeks?

How much do you think he gets paid?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT