ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your List of Favorite Music Artists ever ...

I’m just going to name some that I haven’t seen named that often. Not necessarily in my top 25 because there are too many I love and I can’t rank them beyond maybe a top five.

Names I haven’t seen or haven’t seen often who I think should be mentioned in any such discussion (not in any particular order):

Roy Orbison

Billy Joel

The Beach Boys

The Doors

Queen

The Band

The Byrds

James Taylor

The Kinks

Bob Marley

Creedance

Linda Ronstadt

Prince

Marvin Gaye

The Everly Brothers

Last edited:
IMO, Billy Joel had one great album. The Stranger. The rest of his work before and after is a few hits on each, along with a bunch of meh, stuff.

The Stranger was great from cover to cover.

N.W.A would also go into "others receiving votes" as would Chris Cornell, whose voice I may like more than any other.
Cornell's voice was unsurpassed, and perhaps one of the most shocking suicides of them all. But, I love Rage Against the Machine, but I liked them with Zach De Laroca fronting them more than when Cornell did with Audioslave. His anger and ferocity just fit the music more, even though Cornell is a better singer overall.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
IMO, Billy Joel had one great album. The Stranger. The rest of his work before and after is a few hits on each, along with a bunch of meh, stuff.

The Stranger was great from cover to cover.
Agreed on Stranger, and 52nd St. Is strong too. Glass Houses was a fun record and Nylon Curtain was his most cerebral effort (though I personally didn't love it). It was autopilot after that though, and he even seems to admit that in interviews... he lost interest in recording good pop. Concerts were fun though. But more for nostalgia if anything else, as explained above, I do still enjoy him.

Gotta add Twisted Sister, if only for "I wanna rock" and "We're not gonna take it".

Agreed on Stranger, and 52nd St. Is strong too. Glass Houses was a fun record and Nylon Curtain was his most cerebral effort (though I personally didn't love it). It was autopilot after that though, and he even seems to admit that in interviews... he lost interest in recording good pop. Concerts were fun though. But more for nostalgia if anything else, as explained above, I do still enjoy him.
I always liked his regular guy vibe, he didn't seem like a typical rock star, like say Steven Tyler being 80 years old and looking like someone's grandmother, :)

No ... it was the Civic Arena. I ended up seeing Billy Joel 4 times total.

But your last paragraph sums up much about how my feeling about his music changed. I absolutely hated the Innocent Man album, and can only point to "A Matter of Trust" as a song I liked much at all past 1983.
I saw him in Pittsburgh, I think it was in 91?

Stones( saw them got the 5th time last week)
CSN( with or w/o Neil)
Neil Young
Phil Collins
Eric Clapton
Allman Bros
Tom Petty
Who
U 2
Bob Marley
Fleetwood Mac
Elton John
Eagles
John Mayer
Kings of Leon
Van Morrison
Beach Boys
Maroon 5
Hall and Oates
Kinks
Steely Dan
Springsteen
Police
Billy Joel

Motown
Four Tops
Temptations
Supremes
Martha Reeves and the Vandelas
Smokey Robinson

Others Receiving Consideration
Counting Crows
Hootie and the Blow Fish
Dave Matthews
Blues Traveler
Train
Zeppelin
Cold Play

I could do a rap category

Snoop Dogg
Coolio
NWA
Ice Cube
Ice T
Dr. Dre
Eminem
Public Enemy
Run DMC
Grandmaster Flash

And will add, ALL and I mean ALL of the modern rap, my daughter and her friends like is CRAP, no quality.

Reactions: mike412
I’m old and can hardly remember this stuff...

One thru ten for me would be the Beatles, can listen to Abbey Road anytime.

Some others:
Porky Chetwick Oldies Compilations
Stones
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Chicago
Simon and Garfunkel
Johnny Mathis
Linda Ronstadt

Go Pitt.

Stones( saw them got the 5th time last week)
CSN( with or w/o Neil)
Neil Young
Phil Collins
Eric Clapton
Allman Bros
Tom Petty
Who
U 2
Bob Marley
Fleetwood Mac
Elton John
Eagles
John Mayer
Kings of Leon
Van Morrison
Beach Boys
Maroon 5
Hall and Oates
Kinks
Steely Dan
Springsteen
Police
Billy Joel

Motown
Four Tops
Temptations
Supremes
Martha Reeves and the Vandelas
Smokey Robinson

Others Receiving Consideration
Counting Crows
Hootie and the Blow Fish
Dave Matthews
Blues Traveler
Train
Zeppelin
Cold Play

Are there any more artists remaining?
I think you named most if not all!

Great grouping!

1. Prince
2. Guns N Roses
3. The Beatles
4. Lenny Kravitz
5. Motley Crue
6. Fleetwood Mac
7. The Rolling Stones
8. Led Zep
9. Tom Petty
10. The Beastie Boys
11. Stone Temple Pilots
12. Billy Joel
13. Kiss
14. Queen
15. Jimi Hendrix
16. Eminem
17. Aerosmith
18. Bruce Springsteen
19. Joe Walsh
20. Metallica

I could do a rap category

Snoop Dogg
Coolio
NWA
Ice Cube
Ice T
Dr. Dre
Eminem
Public Enemy
Run DMC
Grandmaster Flash

And will add, ALL and I mean ALL of the modern rap, my daughter and her friends like is CRAP, no quality.

Going to make a request that we keep this to a "groups we like" list rather than a "so-and-so sucks list."

Are there any more artists remaining?
I think you named most if not all!

Great grouping!
Ha, ha.... love music...... Others oldies but goodies not mentioned: Traffic, ELO, Bowie, Dylan, Heart, Journey, Blondie, Steve Winwood, UB 40, Bonnie Raitt, Oasis, Huey Lewis, George Michael. Newbies: One Republic, Jack Johnson, Neon Trees, Lumineers, Fray.......

Ha, ha.... love music...... Others oldies but goodies not mentioned: Traffic, ELO, Bowie, Dylan, Heart, Journey, Blondie, Steve Winwood, UB 40, Bonnie Raitt, Oasis, Huey Lewis, George Michael. Newbies: One Republic, Jack Johnson, Neon Trees, Lumineers, Fray.......
Badfinger, Alice Cooper, Barry White, Black Sabbath, ELO, Grand Funk, The Guess Who, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Jimi Hendrix, 3 Dog Night

Reactions: Delpanther
I didn't mention anyone by name.

Sure. But this has been a pretty positive thread about individuals and their personal opinions and preferences. I don't want to see it derailed by talking about how music made after "X" year sucks full stop.

My 1981 list might have been almost the same. Didn't appreciate the B-52's till later. But LOVED Journey at the time. Didn't get into U2 until War. Add Supertramp, Kansas, The Police and REO Speedwagon to the very early 80's list.

As for Yes, Starship Trooper on the Yes Album, was, and remains one of all time favorite tracks.

Wow DT - Breakfast In America was the 1st album I ever bought back in 78 or 79 - left it in the sun one day and warped the crap out of that poor piece of vinal.

Roundabout is the Yes song for me. I could never ever hate REO Speedwagon enough after 1980 or so. I was late to the Police, not till 82 or so.

I am really surprised how close a few of us match up on the early 80's.

Cheap Trick was my fave band in 79/80.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Wow DT - Breakfast In America was the 1st album I ever bought back in 78 or 79 - left it in the sun one day and warped the crap out of that poor piece of vinal.

Roundabout is the Yes song for me. I could never ever hate REO Speedwagon enough after 1980 or so. I was late to the Police, not till 82 or so.

I am really surprised how close a few of us match up on the early 80's.

I loved the Police, especially Outlandos D'amour, IMO, one of the greatest debut albums by any band. Go back and listen to all those songs and marvel of the sheer brilliance of Stewart Copeland, I think the best living drummer of all time.

I loved the Police, especially Outlandos D'amour, IMO, one of the greatest debut albums by any band. Go back and listen to all those songs and marvel of the sheer brilliance of Stewart Copeland, I think the best living drummer of all time.
Copeland is The Man. Bought all there albums by 85, loved them all, although i burned out early on Synchronicity. Probably caught a half dozen Sting tours at the old Star Lake.

Copeland was my first fave drummer back before I fell for Bonzo.

Love the Police and Stewart is very cool.

Sting is also quite brilliant and he deserves honor despite being so pretentious, and also actually rhyming "words they try to jail ya" and "rhetorical failure." Shame Sting, Shame.

I came to rock and roll in 1963 with I Want to Hold Your Hand, which naturally informs my list. The dates are not necessarily when the bands started or were at their most popular. It's more about when I became aware of, and into them.

Here goes, off the top of my head:

The originals - early - mid 60's:

The Beatles
The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
The Beach Boys

Late 60's

Hendrix
Cream
Poco
The Mamas and the Papas
The Grateful Dead
The Band
The Stooges
The MC5
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Jefferson Airplane
The Velvet Underground

70s

The Allman Bros. Band
Jethro Tull
Blue Oyster Cult
David Bowie
The New York Dolls
The Ramones
The Clash
The Faces
AC/DC
The Cure

80s

Depeche Mode
The Smiths
New Order
The Jesus and Mary Chain
REM

90s

Oasis
Ash
Teenage Fanclub
Primal Scream
Less Than Jake
Rancid
NOFX
The Lightning Seeds

Since 2000

The View
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
The Libertines

Reactions: Pittduck
A lot of people mention REM, and it's funny, late '80s, I really liked them, but when I listen to them now, I wonder why? They are very good though, I just feel like I lost my taste for them

1. Grateful Dead
2. Grateful Dead
3. Grateful Dead
4. Bob Dylan
5. Neil Young
6. Cat Stevens
7. Lou Reed
I saw the Dead twice in Pittsburgh, once at the Civic Arena, once in 3 Rivers, Late 80s early 90s, that was the best live concert experience, and the flea market that followed them around was really cool too, I had this tie died shirt from that that I wore for 20 years.

I saw UB40 last night at Jergel's. The place was packed, and the guys really put-on a great show.

I'd never been to Jergel's before, but I'll definitely be going back...nice place to watch live music.

Roundabout is the Yes song for me.

Breakfast in America may have been the second album I ever bought. C'est Chic was the first.

And You & I is the Yes song for me.

And I still can't figure out why the dream police came to pee in my bed.

Reactions: CougarClaws
I always liked his regular guy vibe, he didn't seem like a typical rock star, like say Steven Tyler being 80 years old and looking like someone's grandmother, :)

He may have come off to the public as a regular guy, but he hardly was/is. He is without doubt the most anti-social rock artist I’ve ever come across and possibly the biggest drinker. But, it never came across on stage. He refuses to do the “meet and greets” which are almost pro forma in the industry. When he toured with Elton John, they would start by doing a few songs together, then each would do a set, then they would do the encore together. When Elton did his set, Billy would take a limo back to his hotel and presumably drink. When Billy did his set, Elton would socialize with the VIPs and others behind the stage.

For the last few years, he hasn’t been able to hit the high notes, so he has expanded his backup group to include two women to sing them.

Be that as it may, I think his body of work is superb. Good Night, Saigon touched me more than any other song about the war and captured both the reality and absurdity of it perfectly. I still get chills when I listen to it. Allentown was a great portrait of what happened to blue collar, industrial America in the 70s and early 80s. I wish he had done more social commentary like that in his work.

Reactions: Tomster6758
He may have come off to the public as a regular guy, but he hardly was/is. He is without doubt the most anti-social rock artist I’ve ever come across and possibly the biggest drinker. But, it never came across on stage. He refuses to do the “meet and greets” which are almost pro forma in the industry. When he toured with Elton John, they would start by doing a few songs together, then each would do a set, then they would do the encore together. When Elton did his set, Billy would take a limo back to his hotel and presumably drink. When Billy did his set, Elton would socialize with the VIPs and others behind the stage.

For the last few years, he hasn’t been able to hit the high notes, so he has expanded his backup group to include two women to sing them.

Be that as it may, I think his body of work is superb. Good Night, Saigon touched me more than any other song about the war and captured both the reality and absurdity of it perfectly. I still get chills when I listen to it. Allentown was a great portrait of what happened to blue collar, industrial America in the 70s and early 80s. I wish he had done more social commentary like that in his work.
I don't really care, I don't ever want to meet any of these people anyways. I expect most to be arrogant jerkoffs anyways, I just mean, the songs talk about something like regular scum bags, doing unfantastic things, in ethnic neighborhoods in Northeastern cities, like ME, LOL. He did do some more social commentary stuff in the '80s, and I really enjoyed the movie about his USSR trip in the '80s.

Those are my two favorite Billy Joel songs. Was never a big fan, but really liked those songs.

Raul Malo...with or without the Mavericks. Great live shows. Their live concert at Albert Hall was one for the ages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT