ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Youth Travel Baseball

BTW, is this not EVERY Youth team's starting lineup?

1. Jackson F
2. Luca T
3. Jack M
4. Luke S
5. Jackson B
6. Jack A
7. Luca C
8. Jaxon
9. Jack T

Wow are you wrong. I would venture to say that 90% of pro soccer players could go compete a marathon without training for specifically for it. Being in marathon shape is a prerequisite for playing pro soccer. And you dont think Ronaldo can go outrun some random 45 year old dude from Blawnox that's been "training" for 6 months for a marathon?

You are 100% clueless on soccer.
SMF...You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. That being said, I disagree with you 100%. I am will to bet you that very few professional soccer players could complete a marathon. An elite marathon runner is running for at least 2 consecutive hours at a speed that most professional soccer players couldn't maintain for more then a mile. The average marathon runner is doing the same pace, at a slightly slower level. for probably at least 4 consecutive hours, no way is Ronaldo, Messi or any other professional soccer players going to do that. I just watched the Argentina-Ecuador soccer game on Saturday and during the last 20 minutes of the game I saw most of the players, on both teams, just standing still for most of the remaining time.
By the way, I do not think that Ronaldo could out run any one, regardless of sex or age, that has been training for 6 months for a marathon.
Look, I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of soccer. I played the sport for 3 years when my father was stationed in Europe. It was fun to play, but absolutely horrible to watch. I can't stand all of the "theatrical" falls that occur during most games. A note to soccer officials, if the player hits the ground and rolls around for two minutes, they are not hurt. Add to that the goalies and their drama they bring to the games. The diving at every shot on goal and then after catching a harmless shot at thier net, catch the fall and then fall on it and hug it for 30 seconds while they lay on the ground with it. Add, to that, the ridiculous number of "offsides" calls and the sport becomes a joke. I saw more goals taken away in the last two weeks then I have seen goals scored.
"100% clueless"...hardly, maybe 95%.

I would love to talk more about this.

Just recently i started a team because our league was done playing baseball In mid June.

Yesterday we played our first tournament in Delmont. It was a ton of fun. The good news is i was able to pick kids that have good parents and we all chipped in $150. We are competitive in C level and we have fun.

My son is OK but small and typically wouldn’t qualify for travel. But i didnt mature till later and i just get “anxiety” as someone put it that if dont keep him involved the train will pass him by.

I live in Greensburg and we have our local little league (west point), the mudcats, and spartan central all traveling now.

It just seems to me everyone is getting wrapped up in their own thing and not truly valuing the kids.

For instance, our little league had 185 kids sign up for tee ball, 100 for rookies, 45 for minors, and 30 for majors. Obviously we are doing something wrong to lose that many kids each year

The kids playing sports today are mentally tougher and more athletically gifted then the perception most have of their glory days. The parents push them more and things are organized better. I don't see why that is a bad thing. My parents pushed me to be the best....they would say 'Jivecat! You've got to be number one! I won't tolerate any losers in this family! Your intensity is for shit! Win! Win! Win!' You son of a bitch. You know, sometimes I wish my knee would give. And I wouldn't be able to wrestle anymore. And he could forget all about me.
Nice.

SMF...You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. That being said, I disagree with you 100%. I am will to bet you that very few professional soccer players could complete a marathon. An elite marathon runner is running for at least 2 consecutive hours at a speed that most professional soccer players couldn't maintain for more then a mile. The average marathon runner is doing the same pace, at a slightly slower level. for probably at least 4 consecutive hours, no way is Ronaldo, Messi or any other professional soccer players going to do that. I just watched the Argentina-Ecuador soccer game on Saturday and during the last 20 minutes of the game I saw most of the players, on both teams, just standing still for most of the remaining time.
By the way, I do not think that Ronaldo could out run any one, regardless of sex or age, that has been training for 6 months for a marathon.
Look, I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of soccer. I played the sport for 3 years when my father was stationed in Europe. It was fun to play, but absolutely horrible to watch. I can't stand all of the "theatrical" falls that occur during most games. A note to soccer officials, if the player hits the ground and rolls around for two minutes, they are not hurt. Add to that the goalies and their drama they bring to the games. The diving at every shot on goal and then after catching a harmless shot at thier net, catch the fall and then fall on it and hug it for 30 seconds while they lay on the ground with it. Add, to that, the ridiculous number of "offsides" calls and the sport becomes a joke. I saw more goals taken away in the last two weeks then I have seen goals scored.
OK, just so we are clear, you believe Ronaldo couldn't beat your 45 year old coworker who is a recreational marathoner and runs 4 hour marathons?

OK, just so we are clear, you believe Ronaldo couldn't beat your 45 year old coworker who is a recreational marathoner and runs 4 hour marathons?
I highly doubt Ronaldo or Messi could qualify for Boston without training. I do know I would never have soccer players do the most important marathon workout - the long run. So no, they aren’t in marathon shape, or close to it. As for endurance, they really aren’t any better than hockey players, lacrosse players or basketball players, football players, etc. All need lots of brief powerful bursts over about 120 elapsed minutes. And, all could beat Oprah’s time without training. Very few are rolling out of bed and running a BQ time. Maine are close to world class.

My guess is soccer training most resembles training for the 400 or 800 m as speed and quickness are paramount. Covering 7 miles in 100 minutes is crazy easy. All of us can do that. What we can’t do is go anywhere that fast once, much less as many times as they do in a typical game.

Yeah. Look SMF is a soccer junkie. He feeds in intravenously like it is the best thing since sliced bread. The soccer player is the world's greatest athlete. He can run a marathon then right after win the 110 high hurdles and high jump. Put on skates, then skate past Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid, grab a driver and out drive DJ and DeChambeau, put on a pair of converse and outshoot Stef Curry and then win a dunk contest over Zion, then throw a football farther than Josh Allen. That's the soccer player SMF knows, the greatest athlete in the world.

Reactions: PeetWeet1
I would love to talk more about this.

Just recently i started a team because our league was done playing baseball In mid June.

Yesterday we played our first tournament in Delmont. It was a ton of fun. The good news is i was able to pick kids that have good parents and we all chipped in $150. We are competitive in C level and we have fun.

My son is OK but small and typically wouldn’t qualify for travel. But i didnt mature till later and i just get “anxiety” as someone put it that if dont keep him involved the train will pass him by.

I live in Greensburg and we have our local little league (west point), the mudcats, and spartan central all traveling now.

It just seems to me everyone is getting wrapped up in their own thing and not truly valuing the kids.

For instance, our little league had 185 kids sign up for tee ball, 100 for rookies, 45 for minors, and 30 for majors. Obviously we are doing something wrong to lose that many kids each year
Wow......that is a huge drop-off per level.

Reactions: Mikefln and bobfree
I mean, when you watch these guys make a really nice run, maybe 30-40 yards (meters) at most. 5 seconds. A sprint. They are gassed for the next minute or two, especially if it is later in the half. So yes, very well conditioned athletes, but I think the 400m comparison (which is an extremely grueling sprint) that is most accurate.

Reactions: PeetWeet1
Yesterday, we finished up "The Battle of the Burgh" softball tournament. 40 teams.
Just to cue you in on how ridiculous these events can be.
Sunday you need to win 5 games to win the championship.
Most teams have rosters of 11 or 12 players.
Good teams are lucky to have 2 decent pitchers and one or two what "can" pitch.
It was hot but not especially humid. The games ran over with a few ties being played out with International Tie Breaker rule.
Anyway, we started the semi final game around 9 PM.
The Championship game started around 10 or 10:30 PM!
These tournaments have skilled players, but face it, Sunday is an endurance test, a marathon. It comes down to last man standing.
Played on fields throughout Cranberry Twp. Teams from lots of states and all over W PA. But, when you lose, you're actually kind of relieved because it basically means nothing. Kids get a cheap medal and ribbon to hang on their wall and the coaches get a plastic trophy.
The organizers make a ton of money, though. They use the $$ to run their huge association. Umpires make out nice too.
But that's travel ball. I guess there are some college scouts around? Mostly from lower level local schools. My granddaughter has been approached by a few. But she's only a freshman so lots of time for that.

Little league season should not be ending in mid June. It should end in late July. It is a summer activity. It probably starts too early.

Reactions: bobfree

You arent as bad as people make you out to be but you do spew a ton of ill informed shit.

Running a marathon is practiced skill. Even if youre in unreal shape you just dont get out there and run that long.

Reactions: Ski11585
I highly doubt Ronaldo or Messi could qualify for Boston without training. I do know I would never have soccer players do the most important marathon workout - the long run. So no, they aren’t in marathon shape, or close to it. As for endurance, they really aren’t any better than hockey players, lacrosse players or basketball players, football players, etc. All need lots of brief powerful bursts over about 120 elapsed minutes. And, all could beat Oprah’s time without training. Very few are rolling out of bed and running a BQ time. Maine are close to world class.

My guess is soccer training most resembles training for the 400 or 800 m as speed and quickness are paramount. Covering 7 miles in 100 minutes is crazy easy. All of us can do that. What we can’t do is go anywhere that fast once, much less as many times as they do in a typical game.
Did I say they'd qualify for Boston? I said ANY of them can outrun your 45 year old coworker without training for it. They are in THAT kind of shape. Their bodies are built for endurance, similar in composition to real marathon runners. A football, basketball, or hockey player, or 45 year old accountants cannot compete with them in an endurance race.

If you are asking me if I believe that "Ronaldo couldn't beat a 45 year old" person who is a trained/or in training Marathoner runner...my answer is I do not believe that he could do so.
You seem to view Ronaldo as if he is some sort of super athlete. Please remember that when he is playing his sport, he "runs" as he feels necessary. He does not run around for 90+ consecutive minutes like you seem to feel that he does. If he is looking to receive a pass to score a potential goal,, I'm sure he sprints. If the ball is in his team's defensive end, he probably is standing somewhere near the mid-field line. The rest of the time he is doing some thing that resembles a "light jog" for most people.
That "45 year old" marathoner, is running continuously for whatever period of time he is in training for. He is running on a hard concrete/paved surface for that period of time. He is also, running up hills and down hills...he is not running on a grass surface on and off like Ronaldo does.
In fact, I personally know of a marathoner runner is who is 47 years of age and SHE would make Ronaldo look foolish in a marathon race.

Did I say they'd qualify for Boston? I said ANY of them can outrun your 45 year old coworker without training for it. They are in THAT kind of shape. Their bodies are built for endurance, similar in composition to real marathon runners. A football, basketball, or hockey player, or 45 year old accountants cannot compete with them in an endurance race.
Well, qualifying for Boston isn’t THAT hard. Given a lot of work a pretty high percentage of people can do it. If a soccer player can’t do it, they sure as heck aren’t in anywhere near their peak fitness for the event. And no, their bodies aren’t built for endurance, they simply need way too much speed, power and strength.

If you are asking me if I believe that "Ronaldo couldn't beat a 45 year old" person who is a trained/or in training Marathoner runner...my answer is I do not believe that he could do so.
You seem to view Ronaldo as if he is some sort of super athlete. Please remember that when he is playing his sport, he "runs" as he feels necessary. He does not run around for 90+ consecutive minutes like you seem to feel that he does. If he is looking to receive a pass to score a potential goal,, I'm sure he sprints. If the ball is in his team's defensive end, he probably is standing somewhere near the mid-field line. The rest of the time he is doing some thing that resembles a "light jog" for most people.
That "45 year old" marathoner, is running continuously for whatever period of time he is in training for. He is running on a hard concrete/paved surface for that period of time. He is also, running up hills and down hills...he is not running on a grass surface on and off like Ronaldo does.
In fact, I personally know of a marathoner runner is who is 47 years of age and SHE would make Ronaldo look foolish in a marathon race.
Ronaldo is one of the greatest pure athletes to ever live. Had he grown up in Ohio, he would have been a HOF football player. Had he grown up in the Bronx, and NBA player. If he grew up in the Dominican, a HOF Baseball player. He is that type of dude.

I find it hilarious that you dont think he can run a 4 or 4.5 hour marathon. The guy covers 7 miles in a 2 hour period during a game and that includes halftime, injury stoppages, etc. I mean that's 14 miles in 4 hours right there just playing soccer which includes a lot of sprinting and stopping. Any of those guys could easily beat some recreational Yinzer marathon runner.

I personally know of a marathoner runner is who is 47 years of age and SHE would make Ronaldo look foolish in a marathon race
If she was a former HS/college distance runner and runs multiple distance races per year, even at 47, she isn't a recreational runner. I am saying he can beat the overweight accountant sitting in the next cube who is running 4, 4.5, even 5 hour marathon.

Honestly, how long do you think it would take to finish a marathon? 7 hours? 8 hours? You dont think they can run an 11 minute/mile pace? That is practically walking.

I mean, when you watch these guys make a really nice run, maybe 30-40 yards (meters) at most. 5 seconds. A sprint. They are gassed for the next minute or two, especially if it is later in the half. So yes, very well conditioned athletes, but I think the 400m comparison (which is an extremely grueling sprint) that is most accurate.
I think you are underestimating the conditioning of elite soccer players. A few years ago my son played d 1 soccer. At that time he could run a 10 k race in the low 30’s with no training. Their coach entered their team in a marathon during their spring season. Most of the team finished in under 4 hours.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Ronaldo is one of the greatest pure athletes to ever live. Had he grown up in Ohio, he would have been a HOF football player. Had he grown up in the Bronx, and NBA player. If he grew up in the Dominican, a HOF Baseball player. He is that type of dude.

I find it hilarious that you dont think he can run a 4 or 4.5 hour marathon. The guy covers 7 miles in a 2 hour period during a game and that includes halftime, injury stoppages, etc. I mean that's 14 miles in 4 hours right there just playing soccer which includes a lot of sprinting and stopping. Any of those guys could easily beat some recreational Yinzer marathon runner.
Oh Christ...here we go again. Like SMF predicting Terrelle Pryor was the next Mike Jordan. Stop it Andrew, stop it.

This post is why we all laugh at you.

This post is why we all laugh at you.
And its why I am smarter than most of you. There are elite athletes in every sport that had they grown up elsewhere or chosen a different sport early on, they'd be world-class at that sport.

I have 0 doubt LeBron or Kobe would have been some of the best hockey or baseball players ever if that's all they did. I am sure Sid would have been NFL, MLB, or Premier League if his situation was different. You guys really dont understand to excel at a world-class level at any pro sport, you have to have an unbelievable amount of athleticsm, a lot of which translates to other sports if started early enough.

Its amazing to me that most of you hold the belief that all these guys literally picked the ONLY sport they could be good at. Like if LeBron lived in Quebec and played nothing but hockey from the time he was 3, like he wouldnt be any good. Get outta here

I think you are underestimating the conditioning of elite soccer players. A few years ago my son played d 1 soccer. At that time he could run a 10 k race in the low 30’s with no training. Their coach entered their team in a marathon during their spring season. Most of the team finished in under 4 hours.
Entering a marathon during the season was dumb, IMO - that said, at least they went slow. The times strongly suggest, they were no where near marathon shape. 10k times are in the range of the woman’s Olympic trial qualifying time of 32:25. For a marathon, they would need to run 2:45 to meet the women’s qualifying time. For the 10k, the men could qualify as a women, for the marathon not even close.

And its why I am smarter than most of you. There are elite athletes in every sport that had they grown up elsewhere or chosen a different sport early on, they'd be world-class at that sport.

I have 0 doubt LeBron or Kobe would have been some of the best hockey or baseball players ever if that's all they did. I am sure Sid would have been NFL, MLB, or Premier League if his situation was different. You guys really dont understand to excel at a world-class level at any pro sport, you have to have an unbelievable amount of athleticsm, a lot of which translates to other sports if started early enough.

Its amazing to me that most of you hold the belief that all these guys literally picked the ONLY sport they could be good at. Like if LeBron lived in Quebec and played nothing but hockey from the time he was 3, like he wouldnt be any good. Get outta here
What makes you think either Kobe or LeBron could hit major league pitching?

Do you thing Messi could play in the NBA? This isn’t high school where the best athletes are the best athletes. What I’d bet you would find there are some 5’10” D2 hoops players that could have been much batter at soccer and some 200+# soccer players what would have been much better at American football.

What makes you think either Kobe or LeBron could hit major league pitching?

Do you thing Messi could play in the NBA? This isn’t high school where the best athletes are the best athletes. What I’d bet you would find there are some 5’10” D2 hoops players that could have been much batter at soccer and some 200+# soccer players what would have been much better at American football.
Messi is 5'7 so uhh...no.

Kobe and LeBron are 2 of the best athletes to ever live. If they played nothing but baseball from the time, they were 5, they'd be HOFers. Friggin Jacob Stallings is a MLB starter.

You seriously discount the amount of athleticism it takes to be world-class. Believe me, these guys just luck into choosing the only sport they would be really good at.

Kobe and LeBron are 2 of the best athletes to ever live. If they played nothing but baseball from the time, they were 5, they'd be HOFers. Friggin Jacob Stallings is a MLB starter.

You seriously discount the amount of athleticism it takes to be world-class. Believe me, these guys just luck into choosing the only sport they would be really good at.
How many of these guys could play a different position at the highest level, much less make HOF in a different sport? If it were that easy, they would all play golf.

Keep telling yourself that all sports require the same things and that loving one means one will love others.

Reactions: Pitt79
How many of these guys could play a different position at the highest level, much less make HOF in a different sport? If it were that easy, they would all play golf.
Terrelle Pryor never played WR in his life, switched to WR in his late 20s and had a 1000 yard season. Why? World-class athlete. Had he played WR and only WR from HS on, he'd be HOF.

Just about any elite pro athlete could have chosen a different position at a young age and been just as good. For example, the word is Sidney Crosby was also an unbelievable goalie (and baseball player).

This isnt that hard to figure out but if you have God-given world-class athleticism, you can do almost anything you want from an athletic standpoint and be super good at it. These guys are out there selecting the ONLY positions they'd be good at. You act like these guys literally only have a specific athletic skill set which enables them to be good at 1 sport, 1 position.

Keep telling yourself that all sports require the same things and that loving one means one will love others.
It kinda goes without saying that certain sports, certain positions have a size requirement. I'm talking about athleticism, not size.

It kinda goes without saying that certain sports, certain positions have a size requirement. I'm talking about athleticism, not size.
Well, size is part of athleticism. As is speed, power, endurance, vision, timing, etc. if these thing translated so easily, we wouldn’t have needed to wait 100 years to see someone hit and pitch at the major league level.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Well, size is part of athleticism. As is speed, power, endurance, vision, timing, etc. if these thing translated so easily, we wouldn’t have needed to wait 100 years to see someone hit and pitch at the major league level.
Size has nothing to do with athleticism. Size is size. Speed, power, endurance, vision, timing is part of athleticism. Great size can help a great athlete but they aren't related. You can have great size and be a terrible athlete. You can have great athleticism but terrible size.

You keep taking L after L on this thread. You might want to stop.

Last edited:
Entering a marathon during the season was dumb, IMO - that said, at least they went slow. The times strongly suggest, they were no where near marathon shape. 10k times are in the range of the woman’s Olympic trial qualifying time of 32:25. For a marathon, they would need to run 2:45 to meet the women’s qualifying time. For the 10k, the men could qualify as a women, for the marathon not even close.
It was the spring season. Games did not count. I never stated they would qualify for the olympics. They did zero training for a marathon, but still could run one. I only was stating that their conditioning was being underestimated by most of you.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
It was the spring season. Games did not count. I never stated they would qualify for the olympics. They did zero training for a marathon, but still could run one. I only was stating that their conditioning was being underestimated by most of you.
That makes more sense. Also, please don’t take my comments to mean I think their conditioning is lacking in any way. I consider a 400/ 800m runner to be of the same fitness level as a marathoner - they just have different strengths. My stance is that any marathon performance resulting from soccer training won’t come close to what they could do if they were actually in shape to run one and that repetitive sprints are way more valuable to a soccer player than sustained running.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Terrelle Pryor never played WR in his life, switched to WR in his late 20s and had a 1000 yard season. Why? World-class athlete. Had he played WR and only WR from HS on, he'd be HOF.

Just about any elite pro athlete could have chosen a different position at a young age and been just as good. For example, the word is Sidney Crosby was also an unbelievable goalie (and baseball player).

This isnt that hard to figure out but if you have God-given world-class athleticism, you can do almost anything you want from an athletic standpoint and be super good at it. These guys are out there selecting the ONLY positions they'd be good at. You act like these guys literally only have a specific athletic skill set which enables them to be good at 1 sport, 1 position.
Sure, but there is a huge difference between super good and top league starter. Huge difference between top league starter and HOF. If were that easy, we would see way more pitchers/ position player combos. We don’t because it isn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT