ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Zlatan’s MLS debut

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
one of the best players in a generation debuted in MLS today, and considering the stage, and the brilliance, it brings back great memories of Mario Lemieux, who dominated his sport and stepped up when the lights were brightest.

Btw...the Pitt connection here is that he blew out his knee playing for Manchester United last year and flew to UPMC so that Freddie Fu can repair it and keep his career going. He’s now 37 and signed with MLS recently. I’d say his knee is just fine. Dr Fu will be pleased to see this.

In a rivalry game between two LA teams, the LA Galaxy was down 3-0 to LAFC(ownership group consists of guys like Magic Johnson, Will Ferrell, Nomar and Mia). Galaxy cut lead to 3-1, and then Zlatan entered the game around the 70th minute. Immediately they cut it to 3-2 and then Zlatan scored in the 77th and 91st minute to tie and win the game. But it’s how he did it that was unbelievable.

You don’t have to be a soccer fan to appreciate this. What a script.

Last edited:
So much for the jet lag that they said might keep him from making an appearance today.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
one of the best players in a generation debuted in MLS today, and considering the stage, and the brilliance, it brings back great memories of Mario Lemieux, who dominated his sport and stepped up when the lights were brightest.

Btw...the Pitt connection here is that he blew out his knee playing for Manchester United last year and flew to UPMC so that Freddie Fu can repair it and keep his career going. He’s now 34 and signed with MLS recently. I’d say his knee is just fine. Dr Fu will be pleased to see this.

In a rivalry game between two LA teams, the LA Galaxy was down 3-0 to LAFC(ownership group consists of guys like Magic Johnson, Will Ferrell, Nomar and Mia). Galaxy cut lead to 3-1, and then Zlatan entered the game around the 70th minute. Immediately they cut it to 3-2 and then Zlatan scored in the 77th and 91st minute to tie and win the game. But it’s how he did it that was unbelievable.

You don’t have to be a soccer fan to appreciate this. What a script.

The other Pitt connection was that Pol Planellas was Pitt's first ever MLS draft pick, taken by LAFC in the 2nd Round in January. However, he was cut.

I never heard of the guy, but I saw the highlights. It was pretty cool.

He was very impressive. Caught some of his highlights on the computer while I was streaming the Riverhounds game. They've drawed on their first two games for an 0-0-2 record.

It reminded how much I'd like to see them gain support and make the jump to the MLS. Unlikely to ever happen though with their current stadium situation. I love Highmark Stadium, but it'd be hard to expand it much more. That's fine with me, though. Nothing wrong with getting big crowds and having success at the USL level and possibly moving up to NASL. It'd be cool if they can attract some MLS teams into town for some friendlies every now and then.

He was very impressive. Caught some of his highlights on the computer while I was streaming the Riverhounds game. They've drawed on their first two games for an 0-0-2 record.

It reminded how much I'd like to see them gain support and make the jump to the MLS. Unlikely to ever happen though with their current stadium situation. I love Highmark Stadium, but it'd be hard to expand it much more. That's fine with me, though. Nothing wrong with getting big crowds and having success at the USL level and possibly moving up to NASL. It'd be cool if they can attract some MLS teams into town for some friendlies every now and then.

There's no such thing as "moving up" to NASL. NASL is basically done. There are only 4 teams left.

The Riverhounds franchise will never move up to MLS. Their stadium cannot be upgraded to accommodate it and their owner is barely "rich." If MLS ever came to Pittsburgh, it would be a different franchise with a different ownership group.

There's no such thing as "moving up" to NASL. NASL is basically done. There are only 4 teams left.

The Riverhounds franchise will never move up to MLS. Their stadium cannot be upgraded to accommodate it and their owner is barely "rich." If MLS ever came to Pittsburgh, it would be a different franchise with a different ownership group.
Okay, so take the NASL part out. I don't follow it a whole lot but I always thought that the NASL was above the USL... nevermind then.

Regardless, I think they're in a good position.

The NASL is suing US Soccer basically arguing that it's US Soccer's fault that no one wants to go to their games and they can't get sponsors. Basically at this point the NASL is the guy who owns the Cosmos, who thinks that people still care about a franchise that was last relevant 35 or so years ago, throwing a temper tantrum because no one cares about his irrelevant franchise.

I've read that potentially they might expand MLS to as many as 48 teams. I think Cincy has a great shot, who knows eventually Pittsburgh might get in, but not any time soon.

That first goal Zlatan scored was killer. What a strike!

I've read that potentially they might expand MLS to as many as 48 teams. I think Cincy has a great shot, who knows eventually Pittsburgh might get in, but not any time soon.

MLS should expand to 50-60 and have separate divisions and promotion/relegation. Grandfather the first 28 franchises in so they can never be relegated. The other teams can fight for places in MLS 1 and MLS 2. As a kinda big soccer fan, I don't care at all about the Riverhounds but if they had a chance at promotion to MLS (based on results), I'd become a big fan because there is something to cheer for. Them winning USL means nothing to me. Its the minors

MLS should expand to 50-60 and have separate divisions and promotion/relegation. Grandfather the first 28 franchises in so they can never be relegated. The other teams can fight for places in MLS 1 and MLS 2. As a kinda big soccer fan, I don't care at all about the Riverhounds but if they had a chance at promotion to MLS (based on results), I'd become a big fan because there is something to cheer for. Them winning USL means nothing to me. Its the minors
Even without relegation, a 48 team league with four 12 team regional divisions, would be a nice setup. Play a traditional league setup and the champs constitute a Final 4, Play home and home within your division (22 games) then play maybe 14-18 games against the other divisions.

As a kinda big soccer fan, I don't care at all about the Riverhounds but if they had a chance at promotion to MLS (based on results), I'd become a big fan because there is something to cheer for. Them winning USL means nothing to me. Its the minors

I don't get what people like you "cheer" for? I go to Indoor Soccer and NPSL and root for those teams, there is something to "cheer for" THOSE TEAMS, the reason is to go there, tailgate, drink beer, hang out , have FUN. Who cares if that minor league title matters to anyone not in the building! LOL.

Forty-Eight teams?! Are they high? Or is that a pyramid scheme?

a 48 team league with four 12 team regional divisions, would be

I think the next two words in your sentence were supposed to be "batshit crazy".

The problem, or, well, OK, one of the many problems with a 48 team league is that you are going to have many, many teams that will go through basically the entire lifespan of fans without ever even coming close to winning a championship. Which leads to far, far fewer fans. Which isn't exactly what any sane league wants.

Two 24 team leagues with promotion/relegation. 48 is too many for one league.

Two 24 team leagues with promotion/relegation. 48 is too many for one league.
EPL and many other countries do it right, just because you might be a bit smaller doesn't mean you can't get a crack at top level. If MLS is truly growing as it is, than there needs to be talks like this. Put money into this system so all players can have a level to play at, earn some money, and even ruin the day for a top level team. The Riverhounds and many smaller markets need to have MLS money and US soccer money, even if they would be a lower MLS division. They really need to keep growing to the point that there is a place for all potential pro players to have a home. And create similar cup opportunities to give lower level teams a chance to move up and others to be relegated.

I think the next two words in your sentence were supposed to be "batshit crazy".

The problem, or, well, OK, one of the many problems with a 48 team league is that you are going to have many, many teams that will go through basically the entire lifespan of fans without ever even coming close to winning a championship. Which leads to far, far fewer fans. Which isn't exactly what any sane league wants.
No, coming in 1st in your 12 team division in itself is a championship. Like in foreign leagues, If the NHL was in England, the Washington Capitals are a current dynasty, because best record in the regular season is considered the true champion. And why are there less fans, the Cleveland Browns fill their stadium. People go for the experience, the party, it's not all about winning.

Right, but this ISN’T England and the Washington Capitals are NOT seen as being remotely dynastic. That’s the whole point! We are VERY culturally different.

Look, I like soccer and would like to see it succeed in this nation. However, soccer fans have this ridiculous habit of trying to co-opt other cultures under the understanding that it’s “what real soccer fans/leagues do.” It is breathtakingly foolish.

That’s how you end up with MLS teams named Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas and Sporting Kansas City. It’s just beyond absurd.

The MLS is already at best a second division - and that may be generous. If you would like to make it a legitimately top division, to the point that you are not serving as the final stop for washed up former stars from overseas, you don’t do that by further diluting the brand. Rather you do it by sharpening the blade.

Relegation works great...in Europe. However, this isn’t Europe and soccer will never hold the place here that it does there.

If I am the New York Yankees or some other major investor in MLS and you are telling me that there’s a chance my investment could spend a year or two or more off the grid, I’m just pulling my investment. Why would I risk that?

Because that’s how they do things in Sheffield, England or Lyon, France?

Okay. Who cares?

The MLS should be AT MOST a 20-team league where you have two divisions of 10 competing in a pennant style playoff. Then, the winners of the two divisions play a one-off championship game because that is the accepted norm in this culture.

How they structure their leagues or determine their champions in La Liga, Bundesliga or the Premier League is completely irrelevant.

Like in foreign leagues, If the NHL was in England, the Washington Capitals are a current dynasty, because best record in the regular season is considered the true champion.

Unfortunately for them, they are the Washington Capitals and not the London Capitals. The Washington Capitals could win the division championship the next 50 seasons in a row, and if they continue to fail in the playoffs every year no one, or maybe I should say no one other than you, would think that they are a dynasty. And for good reason. Because they won't be.

A 48 team league means that there are going to be teams that go 75 - 100 years, and likely more, without winning a championship. Teams will literally go decades without even being serious contenders. And that's not the way for teams to make money, and that's not a way to grow a sport.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Right, but this ISN’T England and the Washington Capitals are NOT seen as being remotely dynastic. That’s the whole point! We are VERY culturally different.

Look, I like soccer and would like to see it succeed in this nation. However, soccer fans have this ridiculous habit of trying to co-opt other cultures under the understanding that it’s “what real soccer fans/leagues do.” It is breathtakingly foolish.

That’s how you end up with MLS teams named Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas and Sporting Kansas City. It’s just beyond absurd.

The MLS is already at best a second division - and that may be generous. If you would like to make it a legitimately top division, to the point that you are not serving as the final stop for washed up former stars from overseas, you don’t do that by further diluting the brand. Rather you do it by sharpening the blade.

Relegation works great...in Europe. However, this isn’t Europe and soccer will never hold the place here that it does there.

If I am the New York Yankees or some other major investor in MLS and you are telling me that there’s a chance my investment could spend a year or two or more off the grid, I’m just pulling my investment. Why would I risk that?

Because that’s how they do things in Sheffield, England or Lyon, France?

Okay. Who cares?

The MLS should be AT MOST a 20-team league where you have two divisions of 10 competing in a pennant style playoff. Then, the winners of the two divisions play a one-off championship game because that is the accepted norm in this culture.

How they structure their leagues or determine their champions in La Liga, Bundesliga or the Premier League is completely irrelevant.

This is why the original 28 teams should never and will never be relegated. Add 12 places to those 28 to have a 40 team league. 3 of those 12 get relegated down to MLS2. The 3 top finishers out of the w0 teams in MLS2 get promoted to MLS.

So, the LA Galaxy's of the world are guaranteed to never be relegated. And the Pittsburgh Riverhounds of the world are always just one magical season away from promotion and dreams of legitimate world superstars coming to their city. It would make someone like me become a fan of the local team.

The whole thing is just antithetical to our entire culture. It’s not the way we set up our leagues.

Remember, those are clubs over there. They are not franchises in the way we Americans look at franchises. It’s who they are 365 days per year, not just on game days. That’s where they hang out and party and drink and smoke and do everything. The closest thing we have to it here would be your college or university alma mater.

That’s why you have like seven teams from London in the Premier league. It’s just a completely different model and I think trying to copy it here is really dumb and is never going to work.

I actually like soccer I would like to see it succeed but I think some of the people who are running MLS are morons and they are going to ruin it in the end.

Personally, I like international soccer and I do find myself watching “Men in Blazers,” because those guys are hilarious. Also, I do tend to follow the Premier league loosely. I just can’t get excited over the MLS. It is bad guys who used to be world-class players coming over here to get a quick payday or two before they permanently ride off into the sunset.

US Soccer Fan: “Hey, do you see the 37-year-old guy over there? You should’ve seen him when he was 25 or 30. Boy, was he a player then.”

Me: “Uh, ok. Why don’t we flip on the old, ‘telly,’ as it were, and watch the current 25 to 30-year-olds that are really good?“

US Soccer Fan: “No way, man. ‘Player X’ may no longer be able to run on his arthritic knees, but he is so famous in his native Slovakia because of how good he used to be.”

Me: “But....oh, never mind. Best wishes.”

Maybe that’s enough for others but to me it feels derivative. Also, trying to rip off all these other cultures to give our teams names is extraordinarily cheesy.

Real is Spanish for “royal.” Real Madrid is an homage to the Spanish monarchy. That’s traditional and it makes perfect sense...for them.

Conversely, “REE-al Salt Lake” makes no sense whatsoever on any level and it is at best pretentious and at worst the single dumbest name of any professional sports team in the world.

It’s kind of like when a minor league hockey team is called the “Ice Gators” or the “Goal Diggers.” It’s cute, I guess, but it is also extraordinarily bush league.

Last edited:
The whole thing is just antithetical to our entire culture. It’s not the way we set up our leagues.

Remember, those are clubs over there. They are not franchises in the way we Americans look at franchises. It’s who they are 365 days per year, not just on game days. The closest thing we have two it would be your college or university alma mater.

That’s why you have like seven teams from London in the Premier league. It’s just a completely different model and I think trying to copy it here is really dumb and is never going to work.

I actually like soccer I would like to see it succeed but I think some of the people who are running MLS are morons and they are going to ruin it in the end.

I get what you are saying but I think what MLS needs to grow their brand is to create interest in many more American cities. For example, Pittsburgh has a metro area of 2.5 million people and MLS isn't even close to being on the radar. But if they had a team with a chance of promotion...or if they gain promotion and do 3-5 years in the top tier, people start caring. You can say the same thing for Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Indy, Detroit, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, Sacramento, Louisville, Memphis, etc, etc, etc.

And tbe the great thing about soccer is there is no dilution of talent by expansion. It is the most played game on the planet and you have a worldwide talent pool.

That's a good thing, it's an improvement over typical STUPID American sports team names.

I don't really care at all if it's ever "major league" I just want a league in the USA and maybe eventually, a team where I live so I can get drunk at the tailgate parties, no matter the "quality of play".

It would make someone like me become a fan of the local team.

Why would you need that to become a fan? It makes ZERO SENSE to me. I go to sports events just for the event itself, as a STAND ALONE thing to pass a few hours, hang out, have a few beers etc. Why does it matter so much to you it has to lead to something bigger?

Here in Baltimore, I joined a local fan club that just goes to local pro games including Baltimore Blast indoor soccer and NPSL- which is like a 3rd division team. The guy who started it has hopes that in the next 2-3 years we'll get a USL team here. Actually, It's a lot of fun! Who cares if it ever leads to promotion to the MLS? So the experience of the Riverhounds game is somehow enhanced if you have like a 1 in 30 chance to play in MLS the next year? You need to lighten up and learn to have FUN.

Me: “Uh, ok. Why don’t we flip on the old, ‘telly,’ as it were, and watch the current 25 to 30-year-olds that are really good?“

Because I want local teams and leagues IN MY COUNTRY, I can't root for English or Spanish cities, I care more about that than the quality of the players. If I lived in Europe, I'd follow that countries local basketball league and not the NBA.

It would make someone like me become a fan of the local team.

Why would you need that to become a fan? It makes ZERO SENSE to me. I go to sports events just for the event itself, as a STAND ALONE thing to pass a few hours, hang out, have a few beers etc. Why does it matter so much to you it has to lead to something bigger?

Here in Baltimore, I joined a local fan club that just goes to local pro games including Baltimore Blast indoor soccer and NPSL- which is like a 3rd division team. The guy who started it has hopes that in the next 2-3 years we'll get a USL team here. Actually, It's a lot of fun! Who cares if it ever leads to promotion to the MLS? So the experience of the Riverhounds game is somehow enhanced if you have like a 1 in 30 chance to play in MLS the next year? You need to lighten up and learn to have FUN.

I am like most people. I need to have an emotional connection to a team to watch that team or that league. If Pittsburgh had an NBA team, I'd become an NBA fan and a fan of the Pgh team. I have a lot of things I can do with my time. Going to a USL game or watching one on TV doesn't do it for me. I have no connection to the team. I go to 1 game a year as a family nigjt night out and I don't care at all whether they win or lose. If they had something to play for like promotion, then I would care.

I get what you are saying but I think what MLS needs to grow their brand is to create interest in many more American cities. For example, Pittsburgh has a metro area of 2.5 million people and MLS isn't even close to being on the radar. But if they had a team with a chance of promotion...or if they gain promotion and do 3-5 years in the top tier, people start caring. You can say the same thing for Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Indy, Detroit, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego, Sacramento, Louisville, Memphis, etc, etc, etc.

And tbe the great thing about soccer is there is no dilution of talent by expansion. It is the most played game on the planet and you have a worldwide talent pool.

How does Cincinnati draw 30K fans for their USL team with no chance of promotion? Basically because people are selfish like me, they aren't going for the chance of promotion, they're going to have a fun evening out.

I don't really care at all if it's ever "major league" I just want a league in the USA and maybe eventually, a team where I live so I can get drunk at the tailgate parties, no matter the "quality of play".
You already have that. They are called the Pittsburgh Riverhounds. If you would like, you can call them “FC Pittsburgh” or “Sporting Pittsburgh” or “Real Pittsburgh” of “ Pittsburgh United” or whatever other goofy nickname you want to call them. There’s a parking lot right next to that stadium and I’m sure you can get as drunk as you’d like there.

I am like most people. I need to have an emotional connection to a team to watch that team or that league. If Pittsburgh had an NBA team, I'd become an NBA fan and a fan of the Pgh team. I have a lot of things I can do with my time. Going to a USL game or watching one on TV doesn't do it for me. I have no connection to the team. I go to 1 game a year as a family nigjt night out and I don't care at all whether they win or lose. If they had something to play for like promotion, then I would care.
I guess IMO you miss the whole point of why you go. If they had a chance of promotion from USL to MSL the games in the same stadium, the experience is still the same. So Riverhounds are in Pittsburgh and you are too and "you have no connection" but the chance to get promoted to the MLS would create an emotional connection? makes no sense to me?

Last edited:
You already have that. They are called the Pittsburgh Riverhounds. If you would like, you can call them “FC Pittsburgh” or “Sporting Pittsburgh” or “Real Pittsburgh” of “ Pittsburgh United” or whatever other goofy nickname you want to call them. There’s a parking lot right next to that stadium and I’m sure you can get as drunk as you’d like there.

I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore, I live in Baltimore, if I was in Pittsburgh, I'd be a Riverhounds fan and attend the games regularly. I attend games like that here in Baltimore. And "Riverhounds" is a truly goofy nickname, I wish they'd have a nice Eurostyle name instead.

That's a good thing, it's an improvement over typical STUPID American sports team names.
You highlighted the wrong word. You should’ve highlighted the word AMERICAN. This is why soccer has a ceiling here. You guys don’t get it.

It has nothing to do with the sport. The sport itself is great. I think if most Americans took the time to learn the nuances of the sport, as well as the rules, they could really get into it.

However, American soccer fans are the absolute worst. Too many American soccer fans aren’t in love with soccer, they’re in love with Europe.

It’s not a pitch, it’s a field. It’s not a match, it’s a game. That’s not a kit, it’s a uniform. It’s not a side, it’s a team. Finally, it’s not football or futbol, it’s soccer. Lifting that nomenclature doesn’t make you sound more knowledgeable, it only serves to make you sound more pretentious.

You highlighted the wrong word. You should’ve highlighted the word AMERICAN. This is why soccer has a ceiling here. You guys don’t get it.

It has nothing to do with the sport. The sport itself is great. I think if most Americans took the time to learn the nuances of the sport, as well as the rules, they could really get into it.

However, American soccer fans are the absolute worst. Too many American soccer fans aren’t in love with soccer, they’re in love with Europe.

It’s not a pitch, it’s a field. It’s not a match, it’s a game. That’s not a kit, it’s a uniform. It’s not a side, it’s a team. Finally, it’s not football or futbol, it’s soccer. Lifting that nomenclature doesn’t make you sound more knowledgeable, it only serves to make you sound more pretentious.
I don't use any of the Euro terms ever, I always say field, team, uniform, soccer, game etc. But yeah, I do think the Euro team names are better than stupid minor league sports names that are gimmicky and used in America, like Riverhounds.

However, American soccer fans are the absolute worst.

I agree with this, too many are snobs and wake up at 7 am to watch English teams on TV and don't support their existing local teams, because of "quality of play". Well how will the quality ever get better if you don't support the local domestic teams and leagues?

I think a good way to improve the level of play is by developing an American culture within the game rather than trying to lift a bunch of other cultures. I really feel strongly that hinders the growth of the sport.

I think a good way to improve the level of play is by developing an American culture within the game rather than trying to lift a bunch of other cultures. I really feel strongly that hinders the growth of the sport.

Like how? What are you even talking about? Like giving the teams cheesy nicknames?

I guess IMO you miss the whole point of why you go. If they had a chance of promotion from USL to MSL the games in the same stadium, the experience is still the same. So Riverhounds are in Pittsburgh and you are too and "you have no connection" but the chance to get promoted to the MLS would create an emotional connection? makes no sense to me?

Yes. If they had a chance of promotion, then it would create an emotional connection for me because my goal as a fan would be to see them get promoted. I would have something to root for. In USL, I don't have anything to root for so I don't care. If they win USL, I dont care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT