ADVERTISEMENT

P5 Commissioners: won't play without fans

Vaccine needed first for any sport to resume play. Common sense

the NFL will figure it out. They will isolate in the bahama's, stockpile every test they can find and play without fans. Their greed knows no bounds.

College football has already been decided. It all hinges on whether campus is open or not. Not willing to give up the pretense of student athlete. I put the odds at less than 50-50 but it will get interesting if school is in session in January and maybe they attempt some type of winter season.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
the NFL will figure it out. They will isolate in the bahama's, stockpile every test they can find and play without fans. Their greed knows no bounds.

College football has already been decided. It all hinges on whether campus is open or not. Not willing to give up the pretense of student athlete. I put the odds at less than 50-50 but it will get interesting if school is in session in January and maybe they attempt some type of winter season.
Your assuming that all the players will play. What if some don't want to risk their lives? That's where things get interesting with lawsuits etc. I think that the NFL will hold out hope and not say their playing til the last second since they want to sell merchandise and so forth. Don't get your hopes up about them playing.

NFL will play in the fall without fans. College football in the winter/spring with fans if possible. The one advantage to this is they will be able to both play on Saturdays and Sundays with MASSIVE TV ratings
I'll believe it when I see it that is all.

Your assuming that all the players will play. What if some don't want to risk their lives? That's where things get interesting with lawsuits etc. I think that the NFL will hold out hope and not say their playing til the last second since they want to sell merchandise and so forth. Don't get your hopes up about them playing.

the owners would cut them and replace with someone else. The players have never been able to organize and get a better bargaining agreement with the owners because in reality they aren't much different than us. They live paycheck to paycheck. Yeah, that paycheck goes to paying for the hummer, but they are in no position to turn one down. Very few players if any will say no if healthy

the owners would cut them and replace with someone else. The players have never been able to organize and get a better bargaining agreement with the owners because in reality they aren't much different than us. They live paycheck to paycheck. Yeah, that paycheck goes to paying for the hummer, but they are in no position to turn one down. Very few players if any will say no if healthy
K we shall see....

not saying it will happen but if anyone can do it the NFL will be the one. Will be very interesting to see how it unfolds.
Oh I agree not arguing but it's very tough to say at this stage of the game. I hope we get a breakthrough and have a vaccine that works so we can get back to somewhat normal living. H2P!

The NFL is definitely playing. No doubt about that one.

Do we get a source or is this just some BS opinion?
I do believe the source is commonsense. There is no way that the entire country will ready to handle major sporting events by this fall. Personally, I believe that we should have things back to normal by the fall, but I am not making the rules of how and when we can interact with each other. Our political leaders are so worried about being politically correct with every decision they make, that they are going to rule on the side of being extremely cautious.

Why does the media take the blame for this? The media didn't shut anything down.

It is a feedback loop with the media emphasizing the worst individual stories that are exceptions to the rule making things appear to the public a lot worse than it really is. This, in turn, convinces politicians to overreact for fear of losing public support.

Reactions: BIGPanther
There were multiple news outlets that said Pence met with a bunch of AD’s, and multiple AD’s were quoted as saying there were would be no football if schools were not open. I’m sure colleges will go to an online platform rather shut it down completely, so I guess that leaves the door open to games with no crowds.
I hope what those AD's are saying is correct. All of these college football players are students first and if they don't have colleges up and running, there should be no sports of any kind. My question is...if they should cancel the season, will these players receive an additional year of eligibility?

I hope what those AD's are saying is correct. All of these college football players are students first and if they don't have colleges up and running, there should be no sports of any kind. My question is...if they should cancel the season, will these players receive an additional year of eligibility?

Yes but unfortunately Ford, Twyman, and Hamlin would leave.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
And there will be no NFL either just wait. Its wishful thinking but if one players tests positive look out. Human life matters over football. I would love to have a Pitt football season but there is too much risk. H2P!
The NFL is a very powerful league and can muscle its way through most issues. That being said, the NFL team owners and NFL Commissioner Roger will soon find out, they are not as powerful as the governor's of the states where NFL games are played. If the NY Governor Cuomo says no gatherings of more then 10 people (just a random number), then the NFL is done.

Yes but unfortunately Ford, Twyman, and Hamlin would leave.
...AND if they did leave, as a Pitt fan, that would suck. That being said, they may stay as well because there really is no where else for them to go if they want to play football. The real problem would be is they delayed the start of the season until February or March as some are saying, how many of the top seniors in the country will risk playing a season of college football so close to the NFL combine and draft?

They will change their stance. Bank on it...

Second, I didn’t say they would let 100,000 people into stadiums. They will play without fans if necessary.

In addition, it’s not insane to believe they COULD play in front of fans by September. The models from these experts changes daily.
I think chances are they will play without fans. I think they dont want to lose the revenue of tickets right now but when they see its tv revenue or nothing they will likely play. Of course we have to see where we are, if things get worse maybe they wont be able to play at all. Or things could improve if new trwatments reduce the risk significantly

The pirates will have less than a 1000 people.
No problem with parking. Heather will need to man up and demand games at the same time. Screw the pirates.

If only on tv who cares!

If you do not have an underlying health problem like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity or some combo of such things your risk is relatively miniscule (much like with the regular Flu).

The media is continuing to scare the excrement out of everyone by its typical gross exaggeration of everything (done to sell advertising to pay the handsome and pretty on-air faces big bucks while turning a large corporate profit).

Common sense is to take extraordinary precautions to isolate and protect the at risk people while letting everyone else go about life as usual (except for contact with members of the at risk group)--including attending sports events. If not done this way, the fallout from the economic consequences will soon result in more lives lost from causes other than the coronavirus.

Yeah this is ultimately where I see this going. I’m a bit surprised that people are saying students shouldn’t report to campus for the fall because many experts said those under 30 with no risk factors aren’t really at risk from this virus. The risk is on par with the flu if not less.

I think the reason we will see sports with fans by the fall is mainly economic. The economy has collapsed much faster than anticipated and the government can’t prop up people/businesses any more. Sporting events (along with concerts, tourism, etc) will provide a major economic boost to the country. By the fall, I feel like the economy will be the number 1 focus with measures to protect the vulnerable. Hopefully we will also have an approved treatment

Signs of my theory are already starting to happen. The PGA has stated their goal of starting in June with the first four tournaments having no fans, the nba/nhl reportedly are committed to finishing their seasons, various amusement parks/tourism spots have stated they expect to open in June

With that being said, I wouldn’t be completely shocked by a spring season if universities start to get anxious and prematurely start cancelling fall semesters now. Imo, such decisions should not he made until July but it wouldn’t shock me if major football schools started soon. I wouldn’t be upset by a spring season and I do think they will have to financially. It could be pretty cool as a one-time thing

Yeah this is ultimately where I see this going. I’m a bit surprised that people are saying students shouldn’t report to campus for the fall because many experts said those under 30 with no risk factors aren’t really at risk from this virus. The risk is on par with the flu if not less.

I think the reason we will see sports with fans by the fall is mainly economic. The economy has collapsed much faster than anticipated and the government can’t prop up people/businesses any more. Sporting events (along with concerts, tourism, etc) will provide a major economic boost to the country. By the fall, I feel like the economy will be the number 1 focus with measures to protect the vulnerable. Hopefully we will also have an approved treatment

Signs of my theory are already starting to happen. The PGA has stated their goal of starting in June with the first four tournaments having no fans, the nba/nhl reportedly are committed to finishing their seasons, various amusement parks/tourism spots have stated they expect to open in June

With that being said, I wouldn’t be completely shocked by a spring season if universities start to get anxious and prematurely start cancelling fall semesters now. Imo, such decisions should not he made until July but it wouldn’t shock me if major football schools started soon. I wouldn’t be upset by a spring season and I do think they will have to financially. It could be pretty cool as a one-time thing

Kids aren't going to die from this. They will get it, be mostly asymptomatic then spread it to kill old people. Think about that group of UT-Austin students who chartered a plane as a group to go to Mexico on Spring Break. 40/70 came back with coronavirus. None died or even got that sick but they are the ones that are spreading this.

There is a 0.0% chance that there will be fans at college football games in the fall. And only a very small chance that students will be allowed on campus at all.

Kids aren't going to die from this. They will get it, be mostly asymptomatic then spread it to kill old people. Think about that group of UT-Austin students who chartered a plane as a group to go to Mexico on Spring Break. 40/70 came back with coronavirus. None died or even got that sick but they are the ones that are spreading this.

There is a 0.0% chance that there will be fans at college football games in the fall. And only a very small chance that students will be allowed on campus at all.

My point is that we are rapidly getting to the point where things cannot stayed shut down indefinitely to provide extra protection to one section of the population. That section needs to be isolated and kept safe while life moves forward to the rest. The track we are on now is complete and total economic collapse. Please tell me how that helps anybody

My point is that we are rapidly getting to the point where things cannot stayed shut down indefinitely to provide extra protection to one section of the population. That section needs to be isolated and kept safe while life moves forward to the rest. The track we are on now is complete and total economic collapse. Please tell me how that helps anybody
Bingo

Life will move on.

Soon.

THIS!

Its a short-term thing. They cant have 30K college students packed together, groping each other on the weekends and then passing the virus to old people which overrun our healthcare system. Look where we are now with the nation shut down? No way kids are back on campus in the fall.....unless there is a vaccine by then or some treatment proves effective.

If we go by the math -- and the data is very incomplete -- most of the athletes that would be playing college football, fall into a racial demographic that is getting hit disproportionately hard by the virus. So what other factors should we consider? Bet the math wouldn't be too favorable for most of the people that post here either. Older, male, one or more health conditions, overweight. But yeah, economy.

The NFL is definitely playing. No doubt about that one.
Yeah they are playing the risk for players isn't very high unless they are going to be completely locked down at home. They aren't exactly a group that you would expect to not get out at all and they aren't exactly high risk either.

But wouldn't it be more prudent and safe to have them staying on campus than spreading to parents and grandparents.

If we go by the math -- and the data is very incomplete -- most of the athletes that would be playing college football, fall into a racial demographic that is getting hit disproportionately hard by the virus. So what other factors should we consider? Bet the math wouldn't be too favorable for most of the people that post here either. Older, male, one or more health conditions, overweight. But yeah, economy.
I haven't seen the national data but the pa data is pretty consistent across race. This virus isn't racist. It does appear to be sexist as it kills more men than women.

Your attempt to throw race into this is very strange. We are getting to the point, regardless of race, where people are going to have to make decisions on how they will proceed. It’s also very naive of you to just dismiss economic concerns, it makes absolutely no sense like your whole post

I haven't seen the national data but the pa data is pretty consistent across race. This virus isn't racist. It does appear to be sexist as it kills more men than women.

Your attempt to throw race into this is very strange. We are getting to the point, regardless of race, where people are going to have to make decisions on how they will proceed. It’s also very naive of you to just dismiss economic concerns, it makes absolutely no sense like your whole post

I'm not "throwing" race at anything. The comment was made that those at higher risk will just have to stay home while the rest get back to whatever it is they do. Like football. But people of color are dying at much higher rates than anyone else. That's happening. Now, I could be cynical and point out that there are a lot of underlying health conditions in that population that are caused by systemic "economic concerns" that are usually dismissed as unimportant for a variety of reasons. And then someone accuses you of throwing race into the discussion because their economic concerns are suddenly a thing. But I'm naive.

It is killing African-Americans and Latinos at higher rates for 3 reasons:

1. A higher rate of these populations live in densely-packed urban areas

2. A higher rate of these populations have low-paying "essential" customer-facing jobs such as grocery workers, fast food, hospital janitorial staff, etc.

3. A higher rate of these populations have more underlying health conditions compared to other demographics. Health has a direct correlation to wealth. The poorer you are, on average, the more unhealthy you are likely to be. African-Americans and Latinos are the 2 poorest demographic groups in the US and thus, the 2 unhealthiest.

It is killing African-Americans and Latinos at higher rates for 3 reasons:

1. A higher rate of these populations live in densely-packed urban areas

2. A higher rate of these populations have low-paying "essential" customer-facing jobs such as grocery workers, fast food, hospital janitorial staff, etc.

3. A higher rate of these populations have more underlying health conditions compared to other demographics. Health has a direct correlation to wealth. The poorer you are, on average, the more unhealthy you are likely to be. African-Americans and Latinos are the 2 poorest demographic groups in the US and thus, the 2 unhealthiest.
You forgot the actual main reason
Lack of healthcare access

Reactions: pittdan77
As others noted, teams are going to have to comply with whatever state or local restrictions are imposed.

And, there are a number of other factors.

What happens when teams have an outbreak and they have to shut down mid season?

There is a 99.9% chance of that. This goes for college and pro.

They are big time breeding grounds for this type of thing - they workout together, sweating and breathing hard in their gyms, locker rooms, practice facilities, they eat together, are packed into their locker rooms, they travel a lot by bus and plane.

What happens when you put all the capital that you put into running a season into place and get moving and all of a sudden you have teams that have to pull the plug?

You also have a lot of exposure there legally, not just from the players. I mean, there are a lot of support staff needed who make modest wages. Managers, trainers, what happens when one of them gets sick and sues the team/league for exposure?

Hey, as many noted, this is horrible for Pitt. I mean, it would have maybe saved us all for some serious heartburn in many years, but this team has a chance to do something for real.

Steelers trying to tool up for one more run with Ben.

Anxious to see HCJC keep the rebuild going.

I want all of that, but playing it out hard to see how it happens.

As others noted, teams are going to have to comply with whatever state or local restrictions are imposed.

And, there are a number of other factors.

What happens when teams have an outbreak and they have to shut down mid season?

There is a 99.9% chance of that. This goes for college and pro.

They are big time breeding grounds for this type of thing - they workout together, sweating and breathing hard in their gyms, locker rooms, practice facilities, they eat together, are packed into their locker rooms, they travel a lot by bus and plane.

What happens when you put all the capital that you put into running a season into place and get moving and all of a sudden you have teams that have to pull the plug?

You also have a lot of exposure there legally, not just from the players. I mean, there are a lot of support staff needed who make modest wages. Managers, trainers, what happens when one of them gets sick and sues the team/league for exposure?

Hey, as many noted, this is horrible for Pitt. I mean, it would have maybe saved us all for some serious heartburn in many years, but this team has a chance to do something for real.

Steelers trying to tool up for one more run with Ben.

Anxious to see HCJC keep the rebuild going.

I want all of that, but playing it out hard to see how it happens.

I think that your post is very over dramatic. The data us clear that a majority of football players are not going to be in risk groups. Have players evaluated for risk during the pre-camp physicals. The risk the will face is much higher from the actual game and violent contact of the sport than the virus.

By the time football season come about, we will probably have treatment options. Heck, we might have them sooner than we might think because the trials are ongoing. Once we can treat this, things can go back to normal very quickly. There seems to be some momentum that good news is coming on this front.

The data coming in is also becoming more clear that this has been here a while and a majority of people who contract it have little or no symptoms. The Stanford and Boston tests, along with the others ongoing, are starting to show that the virus is way less deadly than we originally thought, maybe even to the point where the fatality rate is equivalent to the flu

Reactions: Zepley09
I think that your post is very over dramatic. The data us clear that a majority of football players are not going to be in risk groups. Have players evaluated for risk during the pre-camp physicals. The risk the will face is much higher from the actual game and violent contact of the sport than the virus.

By the time football season come about, we will probably have treatment options. Heck, we might have them sooner than we might think because the trials are ongoing. Once we can treat this, things can go back to normal very quickly. There seems to be some momentum that good news is coming on this front.

The data coming in is also becoming more clear that this has been here a while and a majority of people who contract it have little or no symptoms. The Stanford and Boston tests, along with the others ongoing, are starting to show that the virus is way less deadly than we originally thought, maybe even to the point where the fatality rate is equivalent to the flu

Some would say your post is naive and head in the sandish. Like the idea that you live a world where employment can be terminated by being "at risk."

But, sure, I guess if by dramatic you mean a sober and rational analysis, sure.

There are 32 NFL teams.

With all the travel and highly communal environment they work in, it is almost ensured that you will have at least one of them that have an outbreak.

Some would say your post is naive and head in the sandish. Like the idea that you live a world where employment can be terminated by being "at risk."

But, sure, I guess if by dramatic you mean a sober and rational analysis, sure.

There are 32 NFL teams.

With all the travel and highly communal environment they work in, it is almost ensured that you will have at least one of them that have an outbreak.

But your ignore my points about the real fatality rates and treatment options. If players don’t want to play, don’t play. It’s a very simple concept

If kids are on campus, games can be played. Both are super-spreading activities.

The NFL is a very powerful league and can muscle its way through most issues. That being said, the NFL team owners and NFL Commissioner Roger will soon find out, they are not as powerful as the governor's of the states where NFL games are played. If the NY Governor Cuomo says no gatherings of more then 10 people (just a random number), then the NFL is done.

They'll just play at neutral sites with football-friendly governors. I'm sure lots of those places would appreciate the revenue.

If you don't have fans present, you can play more or less anywhere. Even a D3 college.

I assume that you're talking about walling off people aged 60+ while the rest of us go about our lives? Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. Many people who are 60+ are still of working age - members of the Executive team and Board of Directors at my company are almost entirely of that age. My dad is over 60 and runs a hospital. You'll still lose huge swaths of economic activity, and those people are often the most skilled in their field (certainly the most experienced).

The other thing is that there are plenty of at-risk people under 60. What about people with autoimmune disease? What about the 25,000,000 Americans with asthma? What about the 35,000,000 American smokers? It's not unfair to say that you might have 70,000,000 or more people under-60 who are still at-risk. How do you isolate them?

Without testing, there's no way to solve this. We needed to be testing everyone in the country 2 months ago. We've tested less than 1% of our population. It's been a complete and total failure.

I assume that you're talking about walling off people aged 60+ while the rest of us go about our lives? Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. Many people who are 60+ are still of working age - members of the Executive team and Board of Directors at my company are almost entirely of that age. My dad is over 60 and runs a hospital. You'll still lose huge swaths of economic activity, and those people are often the most skilled in their field (certainly the most experienced).

The other thing is that there are plenty of at-risk people under 60. What about people with autoimmune disease? What about the 25,000,000 Americans with asthma? What about the 35,000,000 American smokers? It's not unfair to say that you might have 70,000,000 or more people under-60 who are still at-risk. How do you isolate them?

Without testing, there's no way to solve this. We needed to be testing everyone in the country 2 months ago. We've tested less than 1% of our population. It's been a complete and total failure.
Accurate

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT