ADVERTISEMENT

P5 Commissioners: won't play without fans

But your ignore my points about the real fatality rates and treatment options. If players don’t want to play, don’t play. It’s a very simple concept

Because you did not state the "real" fatality rates, you somehow speculated it down to the common flu, which totally invalidates your opinion on it.

I assume that you're talking about walling off people aged 60+ while the rest of us go about our lives? Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. Many people who are 60+ are still of working age - members of the Executive team and Board of Directors at my company are almost entirely of that age. My dad is over 60 and runs a hospital. You'll still lose huge swaths of economic activity, and those people are often the most skilled in their field (certainly the most experienced).

The other thing is that there are plenty of at-risk people under 60. What about people with autoimmune disease? What about the 25,000,000 Americans with asthma? What about the 35,000,000 American smokers? It's not unfair to say that you might have 70,000,000 or more people under-60 who are still at-risk. How do you isolate them?

Without testing, there's no way to solve this. We needed to be testing everyone in the country 2 months ago. We've tested less than 1% of our population. It's been a complete and total failure.

Testing everyone in the country is in no way practical or possible. There are over 300 million people in this country and no infrastructure on earth could produce the tests needed to continually test a population that size.

People at risk in the job market can work from home. I believe employers would be more than willing to accommodate that. For those who can’t, they also can’t rely on the government to keep paying their checks because there’s no money left. So either way we go, these people are in trouble anyway.

Reactions: Zepley09
Because you did not state the "real" fatality rates, you somehow speculated it down to the common flu, which totally invalidates your opinion on it.

We will never know the true fatality rates. We don’t even know how long the virus has been here. The best we can do is to antibody test and those results so far are yielding returns way higher than anybody expected. This data can put the recovery rate way into the 99% range, which is near the rate of the common flu. We will never know the true rates for either

People at risk in the job market can work from home. I believe employers would be more than willing to accommodate that. For those who can’t, they also can’t rely on the government to keep paying their checks because there’s no money left. So either way we go, these people are in trouble anyway.

Your first point is wildly false. My wife is at-risk and is a teacher. You think the public school system is going to partially reopen and let her choose to work at home or not? That's just profoundly naive.

Your second point is pretty callous. Yep, let's just throw everyone to the wolves. Hundreds of thousands of otherwise healthy and young people might die but at least Dave & Busters will be open!

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Your first point is wildly false. My wife is at-risk and is a teacher. You think the public school system is going to partially reopen and let her choose to work at home or not? That's just profoundly naive.

Your second point is pretty callous. Yep, let's just throw everyone to the wolves. Hundreds of thousands of otherwise healthy and young people might die but at least Dave & Busters will be open!

You say I’m callous but what is the alternative? The government does not have the resources to pay the wages if every single person who has risk factors and does not feel comfortable going to work. They can do it for a month or two put that’s it. They cannot print money to fix this.

Also, please point me to the data or any kind of evidence that “hundreds of thousands of young and otherwise healthy people” will die. Please. The data I see is overwhelming that this group is not at risk from this virus. I’ll wait

Reactions: Zepley09
For those who can’t, they also can’t rely on the government to keep paying their checks because there’s no money left. So either way we go, these people are in trouble anyway.

Do you know what is also pretty expensive? Hundreds of thousands of healthy taxpayers dying prematurely.

It's crazy to me that people make the argument that we can't afford to pay people $1,000 per month for 3-4 months to save tons of lives but we can afford for those people to die at age 30-40 and forego 40-50 years of economic spending for each of them.

Do you know what is also pretty expensive? Hundreds of thousands of healthy taxpayers dying prematurely.

It's crazy to me that people make the argument that we can't afford to pay people $1,000 per month for 3-4 months to save tons of lives but we can afford for those people to die at age 30-40 and forego 40-50 years of economic spending for each of them.

Try again. I want your data that suggests hundreds of thousands of young and healthy people will die that goes against everything I have seen from the experts

You say I’m callous but what is the alternative? The government does not have the resources to pay the wages if every single person who has risk factors and does not feel comfortable going to work. They can do it for a month or two put that’s it. They cannot print money to fix this.

Also, please point me to the data or any kind of evidence that “hundreds of thousands of young and otherwise healthy people” will die. Please. The data I see is overwhelming that this group is not at risk from this virus. I’ll wait

The government spends $1 trillion per year on things like stealth bombers and aircraft carriers. We cut taxes to the tune of another $1 trillion per year. U.S. non-financial companies had $4 trillion on hand in January 2020. Just the top 15 richest Americans are worth another $1 trillion (and 3 of those are families). I find it hard to believe that there's "no money" when we uncritically pass $1 trillion in tax cuts or military spending over and over again.

And again, to my other point, the "send them back to work! there's no money!" crowd, of which you're apparently a card-carrying member, ignores that doing so will result in the unnecessary deaths of thousands of people who would otherwise be alive - many of years or decades - spending money and paying taxes. That is a loss to the system that will be quite expensive, not to mention that those people are our, you know, spouses and loved ones.

Try again. I want your data that suggests hundreds of thousands of young and healthy people will die that goes against everything I have seen from the experts

Try again. I want your data that there's "no money" and that the premature death of a health person represents no economic loss to our system.

Josh Hawley, a REPUBLICAN Senator from Missouri proposed paying 80% of the wages for businesses whose employees would otherwise be laid off due to the virus.

Democratic US Rep. Tim Ryan from Ohio is proposing $2000/month for every American until this is over.

Its a matter of willingness.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The government spends $1 trillion per year on things like stealth bombers and aircraft carriers. We cut taxes to the tune of another $1 trillion per year. U.S. non-financial companies had $4 trillion on hand in January 2020. Just the top 15 richest Americans are worth another $1 trillion (and 3 of those are families). I find it hard to believe that there's "no money" when we uncritically pass $1 trillion in tax cuts or military spending over and over again.

And again, to my other point, the "send them back to work! there's no money!" crowd, of which you're apparently a card-carrying member, ignores that doing so will result in the unnecessary deaths of thousands of people who would otherwise be alive - many of years or decades - spending money and paying taxes. That is a loss to the system that will be quite expensive, not to mention that those people are our, you know, spouses and loved ones.

Richest country in the history of the world

Try again. I want your data that there's "no money" and that the premature death of a health person represents no economic loss to our system.

Your point makes absolutely no sense. Congratulations. From what I can understand of your post, you seem to keep pointing back to young and healthy individuals dying in huge numbers, to which I (again) say there is no data to support

Josh Hawley, a REPUBLICAN Senator from Missouri proposed paying 80% of the wages for businesses whose employees would otherwise be laid off due to the virus.

Democratic US Rep. Tim Ryan from Ohio is proposing $2000/month for every American until this is over.

Its a matter of willingness.

Tell me how this will get paid for? The federal government just spent $6 trillion. State governments are running dry.

Your point makes absolutely no sense. Congratulations. From what I can understand of your post, you seem to keep pointing back to young and healthy individuals dying in huge numbers, to which I (again) say there is no data to support

New York only: 30% of deaths are under age 64. Almost 5% are under 44.

Those numbers are deaths-only. They don't include the people who have gotten it and recovered.

Now hit me with your "we have no money!" data.

New York only: 30% of deaths are under age 64. Almost 5% are under 44.

Those numbers are deaths-only. They don't include the people who have gotten it and recovered.

Now hit me with your "we have no money!" data.

You also left off pre-existing conditions. I read that the data compiled at the end if March from NY had something like 1.8% of all deaths were individuals without underlying conditions. No mention of age on that percentage

You also left off pre-existing conditions. I read that the data compiled at the end if March from NY had something like 1.8% of all deaths were individuals without underlying conditions. No mention of age on that percentage

Lol I just talked about the tens of millions of people under 65 with preexisting conditions! Lupus. Asthma. Smoking. Stuff like that puts 8-figures of younger Americans at risk. Tens of millions.

Love that people like you demand data. Demand to debate. And then we provide data and you still refuse to engage. Whatever.

Don't even bother replying; you're done here.

Lol I just talked about the tens of millions of people under 65 with preexisting conditions! Lupus. Asthma. Smoking. Stuff like that puts 8-figures of younger Americans at risk. Tens of millions.

Love that people like you demand data. Demand to debate. And then we provide data and you still refuse to engage. Whatever.

Don't even bother replying; you're done here.

And I’ve already said that they need to look at alternative arrangements. You said young and HEALTHY Americans would die in the hundreds of thousands. I have no clue why you are now bringing up pre-existing conditions after just stating this mass number of you and healthy individuals would die.

Your arguments have made absolutely no sense and you tell me I’m done. The only thing I’m over is getting a headache trying to make sense of your completely nonsensical posts

What happens when teams have an outbreak and they have to shut down mid season?

We already know what will happen.

One (1) NBA player tested positive. The whole league shut down. Then the NHL shut down. Then MLB shut down. Then the rest of the country essentially shut down. This all happened because Rudy Gobert tested positive and Adam Silver took action.

So the photo's of refrigerated meat trucks being brought in to NYC mean nothing to you? Does this happen with the flu, or car accidents?

My point was young and healthy. Please try and do a better job of reading carefully.

I saw something interesting on twitter that said the odds for someone "young & healthy" to die from this is like .1%. They said to think of it this way. Tell someone to lineup at the goal line of a football field and to run a 100 yard straight line sprint to the other goal line. Somewhere on that field is a 3 inch square covering a land mine that if you step on it you die instantly. How much would you have to pay someone to accept that risk?

Me personally, I'm not accepting that. Would you?

That’s cute. I was responding to another poster’s irresponsible and unfounded claims, but you saw it as a good chance to twist what I said to make a catchy slogan that is despicable. You’re a real POS

He's already made up his mind about what's going to happen based on his deep experience on the subject matter. Why argue?

It’s apparent that people are mesmerized by the words of wisdom coming from lifetime politicians and the simpletons from the media without an ounce of skepticism.

Some people don't have a clue when it comes to separating fact and speculation. Here are facts as we know them:

1. The economy will get worse the longer this prolongs. How much, we don't know.

2. Every single model that has been provided by the so-called experts, have been wrong. FACT. We have empty hospital beds and not nearly as many deaths that have been projcted.

3. In the U.S., if a person dies that has the coronavirus, it is counted as death by the coronavirus, even though they may have other serious medical issues such as; cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.… That skews the data and makes it worse than it appears. FACT

4. We have no idea how many people have already had the coronavirus and have recovered. FACT

Everything else is speculation / opinion

Reactions: PMizzle88
He's already made up his mind about what's going to happen based on his deep experience on the subject matter. Why argue?

It’s apparent that people are mesmerized by the words of wisdom coming from lifetime politicians and the simpletons from the media without an ounce of skepticism.

Some people don't have a clue when it comes to separating fact and speculation. Here are facts as we know them:

1. The economy will get worse the longer this prolongs. How much, we don't know.

2. Every single model that has been provided by the so-called experts, have been wrong. FACT. We have empty hospital beds and not nearly as many deaths that have been projcted.

3. In the U.S., if a person dies that has the coronavirus, it is counted as death by the coronavirus, even though they may have other serious medical issues such as; cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.… That skews the data and makes it worse than it appears. FACT

4. We have no idea how many people have already had the coronavirus and have recovered. FACT

Its a hoax. Coronavirus is not as bad as the flu.

The deaths and illness have lowered because of the mitigation steps taken. Are those projections perfect? Of course not. But it’s all fluid based on what is or isn’t done to stop the spread. So to simply just say they were wrong is way too broad.

Last edited:
Its a hoax. Coronavirus is not as bad as the flu.

That's not a fact either. The analysis will be done in the aftermath... Stick to what we know for sure and don't speculate in the negative. Based on the models and what has transpired, we should be optimistic, and not waiting for impending doom...

That's not a fact either. The analysis will be done in the aftermath... Stick to what we know for sure and don't speculate in the negative. Based on the models and what has transpired, we should be optimistic, and not waiting for impending doom...

I listen to doctors and scientists.

Young people are generally at least risk. But I’ve read some things that indicate some young people who have died are victims of their own bodies. Their immune systems may be too good resulting in

The deaths and illness have lowered because of the mitigation steps taken. Are those projections perfect? Of course not. But it’s all fluid based on what is or isn’t done to stop the spread. So to simply just say they were wrong is way too broad.

#4 is the big one for me. It will give you a true test as to how many cases we've had and how many have recovered. Then you can dump that number up to how many have died. I'm SPECULATING that the number of deaths compared to the number of cases will even be minuscule...

different opinions For the ones that want to open up the economy and go out and eat and drink go for it. No one is stopping anyone from leaving their home. By the amendments to the constitution of the United States you have a right to assembly, free speech and the right to bear arms. Different state governments have made very strong suggestions that this action could be very bad. But we all have a choice to make, and it is our choice.

We do not know what would have happened if social distancing and shelter in place directives were not put into effect. I guess we could look at a country that didn't make any recommendations and see the results. How many countries are in the world? I do not know, but I do know that 90% of the countries have taken the cautious approach and tried to control the spread of the co vid 19 virus. I guess that means all these countries were wrong. I don't know if they were or not.

Two diametrically different opinions are out there. The future will definitely tell us who was right and who was wrong.

To all, I hope you can find understanding with both sides of this
situation

#4 is the big one for me. It will give you a true test as to how many cases we've had and how many have recovered. Then you can dump that number up to how many have died. I'm SPECULATING that the number of deaths compared to the number of cases will even be minuscule...
Good luck waiting for those massive antibody tests

we can’t even test symptomatic people with a diagnostic test in a timely manner

Exactly. They have been extremely accurate considering nobody could predict how well Americans would follow social distancing guidelines.

Really? Can you give me a percentage of how many people have actually practiced social distancing? How many are actually wearing masks and gloves?? You are speculating as to why we are getting a positive result. Everyday, I see less and less people wearing masks, gloves, etc... Is that the reason we are getting better results everyday? Less, masks and gloves? Again, we don't know. Does it have some effect? I'm speculating that it does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT