ADVERTISEMENT

P5 Commissioners: won't play without fans

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
And that was that. No football in the fall, guys. The pro sports are going to play without fans but college is a different animal and that's understandable. Students will most likely not be allowed on campuses in the fall and even if so, there's no possible way that fans are going to be allowed to attend football games in the fall.

I think we're looking at a January/February, maybe March start to the season.

What if it was required to bring a friend for either side of you to increase social distancing?

time-picture-id143919225

Wait, so fb and bb at same time? Then what? a quick turnaround the following fall?

Wait, so fb and bb at same time? Then what? a quick turnaround the following fall?

That's a huge amount of wear and tear on players to have two seasons in one calendar year. I'd almost rather see them skip a season.

And that was that. No football in the fall, guys. The pro sports are going to play without fans but college is a different animal and that's understandable. Students will most likely not be allowed on campuses in the fall and even if so, there's no possible way that fans are going to be allowed to attend football games in the fall.

Do we get a source or is this just some BS opinion?

Ha Ha! Bull$hit.... The P5 commissioners do not have to produce any revenue. The schools do. The minute the eggheads at the universities decide not to pay the commissioners while there is no revenue coming in, they’ll change their mind fast... They’ll play in a cemetery if need be. TV revenue is better than no revenue..,

Ha Ha! Bull$hit.... The P5 commissioners do not have to produce any revenue. The schools do. The minute the eggheads at the universities decide not to pay the commissioners while there is no revenue coming in, they’ll change their mind fast... They’ll play in a cemetery if need be. TV revenue is better than no revenue..,

I think TV revenue will drive the bus but we watched the entire lot of them walk away from conference and national tournaments quickly. There's a beak point a lot of us didn't anticipate in there.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think TV revenue will drive the bus but we watched the entire lot of them walk away from conference and national tournaments quickly. There's a beak point a lot of us didn't anticipate in there.

You’re right, there is a break point and we are getting close to it.. As you said, they lost revenue on their second biggest cash cow (basketball). Now the commissioners are saying that they won’t support playing in front of no fans. People are getting laid off, furloughed and taking pay cuts so their business’ can survive. What value are the commissioners right now with no sports? If this impacts them personally, they will do what’s in their best interest... We will be playing football in August....Bet on it...

Do we get a source or is this just some BS opinion?
There were multiple news outlets that said Pence met with a bunch of AD’s, and multiple AD’s were quoted as saying there were would be no football if schools were not open. I’m sure colleges will go to an online platform rather shut it down completely, so I guess that leaves the door open to games with no crowds.

So, what is the best interest for the commish to get paid is the best for the schools, players and communities? If that is how they base their decision, I would never goto another college sporting event

Students will most likely not be allowed on campuses in the fall and even if so, there's no possible way that fans are going to be allowed to attend football games in the fall.

You raise an interesting issue. If students are not permitted on campus in the fall, how much will enrollment drop?

Reactions: pittmeister
So, what is the best interest for the commish to get paid is the best for the schools, players and communities? If that is how they base their decision, I would never goto another college sporting event

Yes. If it effects their wallet, they will all of a sudden see the bright side of playing games with no crowds. People in power ALWAYS look out for their best interest...

Don't the presidents (chancellors) tell him (vote) what to do?

You’re right, there is a break point and we are getting close to it.. As you said, they lost revenue on their second biggest cash cow (basketball). Now the commissioners are saying that they won’t support playing in front of no fans. People are getting laid off, furloughed and taking pay cuts so their business’ can survive. What value are the commissioners right now with no sports? If this impacts them personally, they will do what’s in their best interest... We will be playing football in August....Bet on it...

Only if they change their stance on playing in empty stadiums and they are on record saying they wont. Heather Lyke said they wont. What more do you want? There is a 0.000000% chance they are going to let 100K people squeeze into stadiums in 4.5 months. That's simply insane at this point.

College Football will be played during the 2nd semester, hopefully with fans but possibly without fans. Having said that, I wonder if our home field would be the UPMC Complex for Jan/Feb games if no fans are allowed.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
And there will be no NFL either just wait. Its wishful thinking but if one players tests positive look out. Human life matters over football. I would love to have a Pitt football season but there is too much risk. H2P!

Vaccine needed first for any sport to resume play. Common sense

Reactions: plcp
Vaccine needed first for any sport to resume play. Common sense

If you do not have an underlying health problem like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity or some combo of such things your risk is relatively miniscule (much like with the regular Flu).

The media is continuing to scare the excrement out of everyone by its typical gross exaggeration of everything (done to sell advertising to pay the handsome and pretty on-air faces big bucks while turning a large corporate profit).

Common sense is to take extraordinary precautions to isolate and protect the at risk people while letting everyone else go about life as usual (except for contact with members of the at risk group)--including attending sports events. If not done this way, the fallout from the economic consequences will soon result in more lives lost from causes other than the coronavirus.

Only if they change their stance on playing in empty stadiums and they are on record saying they wont. Heather Lyke said they wont. What more do you want? There is a 0.000000% chance they are going to let 100K people squeeze into stadiums in 4.5 months. That's simply insane at this point.

College Football will be played during the 2nd semester, hopefully with fans but possibly without fans. Having said that, I wonder if our home field would be the UPMC Complex for Jan/Feb games if no fans are allowed.

They will change their stance. Bank on it...

Second, I didn’t say they would let 100,000 people into stadiums. They will play without fans if necessary.

In addition, it’s not insane to believe they COULD play in front of fans by September. The models from these experts changes daily.

Last edited:
The media is continuing to scare the excrement out of everyone by its typical gross exaggeration of everything (done to sell advertising to pay the handsome and pretty on-air faces big bucks while turning a large corporate profit).

Why does the media take the blame for this? The media didn't shut anything down.

If you do not have an underlying health problem like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity or some combo of such things your risk is relatively miniscule (much like with the regular Flu).

Common sense is to take extraordinary precautions to isolate and protect the at risk people while letting everyone else go about life as usual (except for contact with members of the at risk group)--including attending sports events. If not done this way, the fallout from the economic consequences will soon result in more lives lost from causes other than the coronavirus.

I had the coronavirus in January during the NFL playoffs. I've never been that sick in my life. Chills, slight fever, dry cough and congestion to the max. My ears were filled with fluid. Every time I took a breath, you could hear me across the room. I sounded like an out of tune harmonica... I went to the emergency room and they couldn't figure out what I had. They gave me a steroid shot some antibiotics and an inhaler for breathing. I was sick for three weeks. It started at work where someone had visited his folks in Oregon. He got sick first, then I got sick and then the guy sitting next to me got sick. I am an old fart with no underlying health issues. It was an ass kicking, but I survived. Lots of water, lots of rest...

At some point in the very near future, the economy has to open up. We can't wait until a vaccine is created to go back to normal life. If we do, there will be no economy left...

Reactions: Mudge1026

Millions and millions of people have those medical conditions. It's not like those are rare. I understand your point but it's too risky.

I had the coronavirus in January during the NFL playoffs. I've never been that sick in my life. Chills, slight fever, dry cough and congestion to the max. My ears were filled with fluid. Every time I took a breath, you could hear me across the room. I sounded like an out of tune harmonica... I went to the emergency room and they couldn't figure out what I had. They gave me a steroid shot some antibiotics and an inhaler for breathing. I was sick for three weeks. It started at work where someone had visited his folks in Oregon. He got sick first, then I got sick and then the guy sitting next to me got sick. I am an old fart with no underlying health issues. It was an ass kicking, but I survived. Lots of water, lots of rest...

At some point in the very near future, the economy has to open up. We can't wait until a vaccine is created to go back to normal life. If we do, there will be no economy left...
Then we have to have strict guidelines and social distancing. Sports crowds will have to be extremely highly regulated. It will not be easy

Reactions: pittmeister
Then we have to have strict guidelines and social distancing. Sports crowds will have to be extremely highly regulated. It will not be easy

Agreed. It will have to be strict or no crowds, but they will play in my opinion

They will change their stance. Bank on it...

Second, I didn’t say they would let 100,000 people into stadiums. They will play without fans if necessary.

In addition, it’s not insane to believe they COULD play in front of fans by September. The models from these experts changes daily.

I think they can play without fans but they say they aren't. If you are an AD, wouldn't you want to wait until winter or spring for the chance of having fans? I mean think of the football factories, they have 2 choices:

a) play in the fall with a 0% chance of having fans

b) play in the winter or spring with a 25% or so chance of having fans

Why would you guarantee yourself a season with no fans if there's a chance to have fans in the winter/spring?

Idk tough call especially for the players. IMO

All the players may have to be tested before they can resume playing. Once the team has been tested and cleared, they can participate.

Keep this in perspective. What we absolutely know now is that every model that has been presented has been wrong. Every one. These so called "experts" don't know. When the economy opens up, people will get sick and some unfortunately will die. People will have to measure the risks against their personal health factors and dress accordingly (gloves, masks, etc).

Let me make another prediction and you can pin this on your door and I will admit I am wrong if it doesn't happen... By July, the cases of Covid-19 will drop dramatically if not sooner. Why? Because no matter what you hear, the virus will start to dissipate as warmer weather starts to become more prevalent I know the so called "experts" say that the warm weather will not slow it down. But they have been wrong about everything. All viruses slow down in warm weather. India is four times more populous than the US, but has just 2% the number of cases and only 1.5% of the number of Covid-19 deaths.. Why? Because they are still in the warm season

If you listen to these imbeciles in the media, you would think we are all doomed.

Stay safe!

Reactions: Mudge1026 and plcp
I think they can play without fans but they say they aren't. If you are an AD, wouldn't you want to wait until winter or spring for the chance of having fans? I mean think of the football factories, they have 2 choices:

a) play in the fall with a 0% chance of having fans

b) play in the winter or spring with a 25% or so chance of having fans

Why would you guarantee yourself a season with no fans if there's a chance to have fans in the winter/spring?

I'm not arguing with you. Option B is a much more attractive option. However, necessity will dictate what they do. If you need money, they will play as soon as possible to generate revenue. If they have deep pockets, they may wait until January, but only some of those schools can afford to wait...

All the players may have to be tested before they can resume playing. Once the team has been tested and cleared, they can participate.

Keep this in perspective. What we absolutely know now is that every model that has been presented has been wrong. Every one. These so called "experts" don't know. When the economy opens up, people will get sick and some unfortunately will die. People will have to measure the risks against their personal health factors and dress accordingly (gloves, masks, etc).

Let me make another prediction and you can pin this on your door and I will admit I am wrong if it doesn't happen... By July, the cases of Covid-19 will drop dramatically if not sooner. Why? Because no matter what you hear, the virus will start to dissipate as warmer weather starts to become more prevalent I know the so called "experts" say that the warm weather will not slow it down. But they have been wrong about everything. All viruses slow down in warm weather. India is four times more populous than the US, but has just 2% the number of cases and only 1.5% of the number of Covid-19 deaths.. Why? Because they are still in the warm season

If you listen to these imbeciles in the media, you would think we are all doomed.

Stay safe!

The last death is supposed to occur on June 21 according to the most influential model so you aren't exactly going out on a limb. However, there is no vaccine or treatment so most scientists agree there will be a 2nd wave in the fall. Put it this way. What would be the difference between March 1 and July 1? There were just a few cases on March 1 and look what happened. Even if cases dramatically drop by July, its going to come back once people start being around each other more

The last death is supposed to occur on June 21 according to the most influential model so you aren't exactly going out on a limb. However, there is no vaccine or treatment so most scientists agree there will be a 2nd wave in the fall. Put it this way. What would be the difference between March 1 and July 1? There were just a few cases on March 1 and look what happened. Even if cases dramatically drop by July, its going to come back once people start being around each other more

"most scientists agree there will be a 2nd wave in the fall."

Are they the same people that said we are destine to have 200,000 deaths in the U.S.? I don't believe it until they start being correct on some of the other predictions they have made...

Call me a skeptic, but there are no experts in any facet of life.

Are they the same people that said we are destine to have 200,000 deaths in the U.S.? I don't believe it until they start being correct on some of the other predictions they have made...

SMF is an expert in every facet of life. Just ask him.

The unknowns about this virus is scary and will take months, year for us to know what really to expect from it. I just can't see an NFL or College football season being played in the fall. JMO

Reactions: Jeffburgh
All they gotta do is keep the lower bowl closed to the public and open the upper decks only for fan admittance. This is if there is a vaccine of course.

Things are changing soo fast , in two weeks the "experts" will have done 4 --180's by then , they have no idea what to think at this moment .

Yes, no one knew how well social distancing would work. 33,000 people died in a month while the entire country has been in house arrest. So that is why they think once social distancing ends, a 2nd wave hits.

The unknowns about this virus is scary and will take months, year for us to know what really to expect from it. I just can't see an NFL or College football season being played in the fall. JMO

NFL will play in the fall without fans. College football in the winter/spring with fans if possible. The one advantage to this is they will be able to both play on Saturdays and Sundays with MASSIVE TV ratings

NFL will play in the fall without fans. College football in the winter/spring with fans if possible. The one advantage to this is they will be able to both play on Saturdays and Sundays with MASSIVE TV ratings

pitt will still have buccos lol
And pens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT