ADVERTISEMENT

PA Recruiting News

I would like to think we have a very good shot to land him if we want. I know KG was sitting with the family at one of the tournaments I believe Allegheny County.
I know Hunter seems gun shy but his progress has been incredible. Coming out of high school he profiled more like a D3 or D2 guy and he has pulled off some impressive wins this year and nearly beat a top 15 guy a week ago
That pipeline seems strong.

Also, re: Hunter--my guess is that his ideal weight is 165, where we have a hole the next couple years. At least that's what I was thinking before the seven-match losing streak! but he has looked better in the last couple weeks.

Reactions: Ryno53
That’s where I see hunter is at 165 next year, Luca at 174, I guess Lledo at 184(or transfer), probably badgett and keslar battling at 157. That’s gonna have to play out

Reactions: Ryno53
It's a little hard to find but wrestlestat has a nice feature on each team page called "eligibility overview" that includes incoming HS seniors (so, no McKay). Great tool, makes it easy to visualize!

I definitely don't also have a google sheet with eligibility chart and possible redshirt/lineup combinations, no sir that doesn't sound like me at all 😬😅

It's a little hard to find but wrestlestat has a nice feature on each team page called "eligibility overview" that includes incoming HS seniors (so, no McKay). Great tool, makes it easy to visualize!

I definitely don't also have a google sheet with eligibility chart and possible redshirt/lineup combinations, no sir that doesn't sound like me at all 😬😅
Share! I’d love to see that

I’m thinking he will be firmly in the top 20 after the PA state tournament. His brother is having a very nice freshman campaign at Bucknell. Another quality get by Coach Gavin and Co.

I’m thinking he will be firmly in the top 20 after the PA state tournament. His brother is having a very nice freshman campaign at Bucknell. Another quality get by Coach Gavin and Co.
Thanks for the replies- great to hear!

As of today what does next year look like?

Camacho
Priest
Mathews
McMillen/Kemmerer
Badgett
Keslar
Augustine
Lledo/Hivnor
Stout/Cooley
Pitzer/Reid

Can any current seniors return?
Reid wrestles for Lock Haven-and will finish his career there.

We will gladly take Louie Gill also, isn't his older brother going to Bucknell too?

I don't think HCKG and Demas were together at OU were they? His bio says he spent 2017 there and Demas' redshirt year was 2018. 2x AA (4th 2019, NWCA 2020, R12 last year), the buzz is that he is done making 141 and nowhere at OU to move up. Two years of eligibility left if he wants them. If we landed him I guess he would enter the lineup at 149 and McMillen or Badgett at 157? The problem with this is that Iowa and Penn State could also use a 149 rental for a year or two, and to choose Pitt over those two seems unlikely for anyone who wants to wrestle after college. Not that we're not making strides, but y'know, PSU has more olympians in their room than the rest of the country combined it seems. However! Demas is from Ohio and Pletcher could be a big draw for him.

Poulin, suuuuuuuuper good and has four years of eligibility, probably career 125? I don't think he has any ties to Pittsburgh and we only have one NY wrestler on the roster. The good news is there aren't many top teams looking for a starting 125 next year. He could choose somewhere like Pitt or Nebraska where he could easily win the 125 job, or he could go somewhere like Oklahoma State or Ohio State if he believes he can beat out a 10-15 ranked guy next year. I think there might be some vague attitude questions of how he would fit into a future room of...basically all WPIAL guys? Seems like a "super-involved parent trying to market their kid" and we saw how that turned out with one of our commits.

Reactions: joeypitt
Penn State has Van Ness ready to go at 149 next year so I doubt that they are a possibility if he is committed to 149.

I don't think HCKG and Demas were together at OU were they? His bio says he spent 2017 there and Demas' redshirt year was 2018. 2x AA (4th 2019, NWCA 2020, R12 last year), the buzz is that he is done making 141 and nowhere at OU to move up. Two years of eligibility left if he wants them. If we landed him I guess he would enter the lineup at 149 and McMillen or Badgett at 157? The problem with this is that Iowa and Penn State could also use a 149 rental for a year or two, and to choose Pitt over those two seems unlikely for anyone who wants to wrestle after college. Not that we're not making strides, but y'know, PSU has more olympians in their room than the rest of the country combined it seems. However! Demas is from Ohio and Pletcher could be a big draw for him.

Poulin, suuuuuuuuper good and has four years of eligibility, probably career 125? I don't think he has any ties to Pittsburgh and we only have one NY wrestler on the roster. The good news is there aren't many top teams looking for a starting 125 next year. He could choose somewhere like Pitt or Nebraska where he could easily win the 125 job, or he could go somewhere like Oklahoma State or Ohio State if he believes he can beat out a 10-15 ranked guy next year. I think there might be some vague attitude questions of how he would fit into a future room of...basically all WPIAL guys? Seems like a "super-involved parent trying to market their kid" and we saw how that turned out with one of our commits.
Great information thank you!

Reactions: _DBHoops
Penn State has Van Ness ready to go at 149 next year so I doubt that they are a possibility if he is committed to 149.
Is he, though? SVN has wrestled two college matches this year (so, ever). You think Cael is confident enough in that to say "no thank you" to inserting a returning AA into his lineup? We just saw the same thing with Hildebrandt and Berge lol. He is gonna chase those marginal upgrades.

I want Stevo more than anyone cause we need a ready 125lber. At least we have McMillan at 149 if Demas is not interested or goes somewhere else. Your not wrong about Cael, that’s why I still think steen made a huge mistake, he may never see the starting lineup or 1yr at best. I understand being part of an incredible tradition but not wrestling defeats the purpose, PSU has Howard, steen, and just added the #1 ranked 120lber from Michigan commit, and you know they won’t stop there. I think kids see a big opportunity with us to get in the lineup and still reach individual goals while they may never get the team trophy.

Just got done watching the V-Tech vs NC State dual. Awesome match, both teams are where we should be. There not all that different, the biggest key that I see is they don’t have holes. And what I mean is not every wrestler is top 10 but there’s no one in those lineups that get teched, solid all the way through. I know we can get there, recruiting is everything as we always talk about. We need to have everyone in this lineup being top 20 nationally in there weights out of high school or very darn close, take flyers as backups and you never know when 1 turns out to a pretty solid starter, but they can’t be a majority of the lineup. Just my thoughts, after watching those teams and being in the wpial/pa my whole wrestling life, I just see that being us if Gavin and Co. can step up.

Is he, though? SVN has wrestled two college matches this year (so, ever). You think Cael is confident enough in that to say "no thank you" to inserting a returning AA into his lineup? We just saw the same thing with Hildebrandt and Berge lol. He is gonna chase those marginal upgrades.
SVN is really good and I believe he will be an AA next year.

Hey there, I am Chappell's father, havent posted on here in years, cant believe I remembered my password.

Ecstatic Keith called Tebo (Tyler) Tebo is what everyone calls him. I graduated from Pitt, grew up 3 miles from campus and my mother worked at Pitt for 30 years. He really wanted the offer and it came. He's solid and can hang with anyone, personally think his brother was better in HS but Tebo has a better style for college but Dylan is adapting nicely during his RS season and if he keeps progressing he will make an impact.

With Tebo and the kid from Ohio coming in I can see Pitt grabbing another Grad transfer to fill the void. Dont have inside info so dont take it to the bank, but if you look at the needs it makes sense based on scholarship availability. Solid class this year also and the WPIAL approach will keep the crowds coming.

Looking forward to the post season. I do know a bunch of people across the state so I hear a lot, probably too much.

I will say one thing, this recruiting thing is tough, not as much scholarship money available at a lot of schools and its hard to know how much these kids will grow from HS to College and the club coaches have a lot of impact with college coaches when it comes to character and practice habits.

Hey there, I am Chappell's father, havent posted on here in years, cant believe I remembered my password.

Ecstatic Keith called Tebo (Tyler) Tebo is what everyone calls him. I graduated from Pitt, grew up 3 miles from campus and my mother worked at Pitt for 30 years. He really wanted the offer and it came. He's solid and can hang with anyone, personally think his brother was better in HS but Tebo has a better style for college but Dylan is adapting nicely during his RS season and if he keeps progressing he will make an impact.

With Tebo and the kid from Ohio coming in I can see Pitt grabbing another Grad transfer to fill the void. Dont have inside info so dont take it to the bank, but if you look at the needs it makes sense based on scholarship availability. Solid class this year also and the WPIAL approach will keep the crowds coming.

Looking forward to the post season. I do know a bunch of people across the state so I hear a lot, probably too much.

I will say one thing, this recruiting thing is tough, not as much scholarship money available at a lot of schools and its hard to know how much these kids will grow from HS to College and the club coaches have a lot of impact with college coaches when it comes to character and practice habits.
Congratulations on Tyler’s Commitment!! Can’t wait to see him in blue and gold

Congratulations @Cranberry Pantherfan very excited to watch your son on the mat! Just recently moved into SV school district so even a little more pumped up about this commitment!
Welcome to the area, youre a year late from seeing a really good team. We had 5 graduate who combined for 650 wins over their HS career. My son Dylan and AHR were 340 of those combined. We were loaded from 106-157. This is a down year, back to being good next year and a few years before we challenge for WPIAL championship again. Great youth and Jr High programs, we are blessed with a number of good volunteer coaches at youth level

Reactions: Ryno53 and Chaos

Thrilled you are here man! Must be a relief that the process is winding down. I hadn't thought about your point in bold before but it's a really smart one! With so many more WPIAL kids coming in we should really see home crowd sizes boosted over the next few seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT