ADVERTISEMENT

Papa Kante

Dec 20, 2019
So with him being out the entire season I kinda forgot all about him. I saw a video of his high school playing against Filapowski's and how was pretty good. I'm starting to think we aren't looking for a replacement for Fede because they expect him to fill that role and they are more looking for a traditional 4. What should we realistically expect from him since last year was essentially a medical redshirt? Can he and Diaz Graham hold down the 5 spot ?

They still need a replacement for Fede. Can't count on a RS Frosh coming off a season-ending injury to make a major impact.

If he does, great.

They still need a replacement for Fede. Can't count on a RS Frosh coming off a season-ending injury to make a major impact.

If he does, great.
Need a starting 4 and 5. If healthy Kante could be the back up 5, can move twins to 4 maybe JDG to back up Austin at the 3

Papa will start (if healthy) if they don’t land Corhen. He has the size, which you can see in pics versus current Pitt players. He has the motor and wingspan. He had a decent showing (8 boards) in Spain in the game he played before being injured. A year on the bench learning and rehabbing doesn’t change that he is the most athletic and bulky of the possible 5’s they currently have. We shouldn’t expect him to dominate and he will have learning curve fouls and such. But he has potential.

So with him being out the entire season I kinda forgot all about him. I saw a video of his high school playing against Filapowski's and how was pretty good. I'm starting to think we aren't looking for a replacement for Fede because they expect him to fill that role and they are more looking for a traditional 4. What should we realistically expect from him since last year was essentially a medical redshirt? Can he and Diaz Graham hold down the 5 spot ?

Can someone post a game video of him of because his highlight videos show him as basically a shooting guard. Is he even a post player?

Papa will start (if healthy) if they don’t land Corhen. He has the size, which you can see in pics versus current Pitt players. He has the motor and wingspan. He had a decent showing (8 boards) in Spain in the game he played before being injured. A year on the bench learning and rehabbing doesn’t change that he is the most athletic and bulky of the possible 5’s they currently have. We shouldn’t expect him to dominate and he will have learning curve fouls and such. But he has potential.
Don't think that is happening.

I am not disagreeing with that and hope he is. Just think he faces an uphill battle to start coming off an injury as an RS freshman and no experience in the ACC

I don't believe the plan is start him. Probably 15 minutes per game if he's ready to play.

I don't believe the plan is start him. Probably 15 minutes per game if he's ready to play.
It's not. PITT666 said he was going to and said below. I said that is not happening, Corhen or not.

Reactions: joeydavid
It's not. PITT666 said he was going to and said below. I said that is not happening, Corhen or not.

I mean with the current state of the roster it is either him or GDG by process of elimination. He will start at some point this year. He has more bulk than GDG. GDG can provide 3 pt shooting, but to think GDG is going to get 35 minutes at 5 is asking a lot too. If we break it down by minutes though, no reason he doesn’t get Fede minutes. He can make FT and can match Fede’s 4.7 pts a game. I think he does run risk of early fouls as he hasn’t played. That is likely biggest area of concern. He will get rebounds and finish.

I mean with the current state of the roster it is either him or GDG by process of elimination. He will start at some point this year. He has more bulk than GDG. GDG can provide 3 pt shooting, but to think GDG is going to get 35 minutes at 5 is asking a lot too. If we break it down by minutes though, no reason he doesn’t get Fede minutes. He can make FT and can match Fede’s 4.7 pts a game. I think he does run risk of early fouls as he hasn’t played. That is likely biggest area of concern. He will get rebounds and finish.
There is 4 spots open and you can argue 2-3 starters depending on what they do with Leggett. If Pitt gets Corhen or another center unless there is injuries Kante is not starting. Nothing against the guy but don't see him as the plan to start at center. He will be the back up center to start the year and get minutes. Also GDG is a stretch to get 35 minutes a game. The twins are a mismatch on defense and can't guard down low which makes them a liability on defense not matter what they bring on offense.

I had heard that GDG was the better player at the 5 on their trip to Spain. Can anyone confirm or deny? If it's true, I don't think the expectations should be very high.

We wouldn't even need to worry about him contributing until '26-'27 if this were the Dixon days.

Unlike Fede, Kante has very good hands to catch as well. We complain about being bullied down low, but Kante makes twins look like twigs. GDG is a much better 3 pt shooter, but by years end, Kante will start if not earlier.

I had heard that GDG was the better player at the 5 on their trip to Spain. Can anyone confirm or deny? If it's true, I don't think the expectations should be very high.

We wouldn't even need to worry about him contributing until '26-'27 if this were the Dixon days.
Guillermo was significantly better than Kante in Spain, at least the portions that I was able to see on stream.

We wouldn't even need to worry about him contributing until '26-'27 if this were the
Guillermo was significantly better than Kante in Spain, at least the portions that I was able to see on stream.
Didn’t he only play one game? Led team in rebounds. “Freshman forward Papa Amadou Kante did not play in the contest as a precaution after being undercut in Pitt's first game of the trip earlier in the week.” Game two holding a bag.

Didn’t he only play one game? Led team in rebounds. “Freshman forward Papa Amadou Kante did not play in the contest as a precaution after being undercut in Pitt's first game of the trip earlier in the week.” Game two holding a bag.
Whichever one I watched, Guillermo looked significantly better than Kante. Lots of energy and good pace from Kante, but looked like he had very little game feel and didn’t look comfortable at all. Not at all unexpected or concerning for a freshman playing against a bunch of 30 year old Spanish semi pros, but Guillermo was the better player by a solid margin.

Whichever one I watched, Guillermo looked significantly better than Kante. Lots of energy and good pace from Kante, but looked like he had very little game feel and didn’t look comfortable at all. Not at all unexpected or concerning for a freshman playing against a bunch of 30 year old Spanish semi pros, but Guillermo was the better player by a solid margin.
I like the twins but we have seen them play in the ACC and big time games. Some good some bad. I just don't know how you can count on them night in and night out or plan on starting one of them at the 4 or 5 and compete for the ACC. Kante will play but don't think he starts right away

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT