ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Stewart to UT-Martin

Blood is thicker than water, but man this is a head scratcher. When Carr went to Minnesota I was surprised, but this is beyond that. UT-M has never made the tournament unless I'm reading their wiki wrong. You have to think Pitt at least has a chance to make the dance in the 2020-21 season when Stewart would be a senior.

Reactions: drp1tt
I've made my thoughts clear on this guy over and over since the beginning of
last season. I wish him all the luck in the world, and hope he improves dramatically.
I also hope he develops a floor game, overall awareness, and some semblance of defense. I have no idea of what teams and what coaches were pursuing him, but
other than being a standstill player with a decent jumpshot, I see no reason why he was in high demand. My guess...he wasn't. UT Martin with his dad....yup
makes sense to me.

Reactions: Atch
He had real interest from a bunch of high majors as a transfer, and offers from a bunch coming out of HS.

His dad is coach at UT Martin. Think maybe that was a factor in him choosing to play his last 2 years there?

Having interest and offering the player to transfer to your school are two different things.

Michigan and OSU has “interest” in Marcus Carr, IF their other targets went elsewhere.

Stewart has a skill and I’m sure if his father wasn’t in the picture he’d have found a home at a pretty good program . Not a thing wrong with the kid wanting to play for his dad ....now is there !

Haha looks like Parker's next coach WAS chosen for him after all

I mean u would have thought he’d just go there right outta college but no...go now after a successful year at a Power-5 school.

Guess he already thinks any NBA/Pro Hoops dreams he has are gone...wow

Having interest and offering the player to transfer to your school are two different things.

Michigan and OSU has “interest” in Marcus Carr, IF their other targets went elsewhere.

The other thing is what is the source for stating a school has interest? The kid? Or his school. Back when my kid was in HS one of his buddies who we knew wasn’t a d1 level kid said he had offers from some D1 school including Pitt. Point is some of these kids embellish their offer list. I don’t believe schools are permitted to comment

As far as Stewart goes never bought into the hype that he had all those schools interested in him. He was a good shooter with little athleticism not a great shooter. He’s now at the level he belongs

I suspect Capel didn’t put the full court press on him or Carr which is why they left. Capel has much bigger plans and has already recruited over these kids

I mean u would have thought he’d just go there right outta college but no...go now after a successful year at a Power-5 school.

Guess he already thinks any NBA/Pro Hoops dreams he has are gone...wow

He never had a chance to play pro ball anywhere. That hasn't changed. I sure hope he gets a degree in something where he can get a real job out of college. Because he won't be playing basketball.

Reactions: Haydman and Chescat
He had real interest from a bunch of high majors as a transfer, and offers from a bunch coming out of HS.

His dad is coach at UT Martin. Think maybe that was a factor in him choosing to play his last 2 years there?

LOL! Real interest??? I highly doubt that. Interest doesn't mean he's going to get an offer. He's a good kid, but he's not a P6-caliber player. Hope he gets his degree.

The other thing is what is the source for stating a school has interest? The kid? Or his school. Back when my kid was in HS one of his buddies who we knew wasn’t a d1 level kid said he had offers from some D1 school including Pitt. Point is some of these kids embellish their offer list. I don’t believe schools are permitted to comment

As far as Stewart goes never bought into the hype that he had all those schools interested in him. He was a good shooter with little athleticism not a great shooter. He’s now at the level he belongs

I suspect Capel didn’t put the full court press on him or Carr which is why they left. Capel has much bigger plans and has already recruited over these kids

Right. My question is, if he really wanted to play for his Dad, why did it take him a month or so to decide that? My guess is his options were not as plentiful as reported. I thought he would end up playing for his Dad all along because of that. So if he doesn’t have all of those offers, why not play for Dad?

Right. My question is, if he really wanted to play for his Dad, why did it take him a month or so to decide that? My guess is his options were not as plentiful as reported. I thought he would end up playing for his Dad all along because of that. So if he doesn’t have all of those offers, why not play for Dad?
Thinking that no other D1 program wants a 6”5’ kid that has proven that he can shoot the 3’s at a D1 level is wrong . Maybe the kid was torn and decided he wanted to play for his old man .
When you have a child with issues as PS has a special bond forms better parents and child . Maybe the family felt very comfortable with KS as his coach and now his best choice is his Dad .

Thinking that no other D1 program wants a 6”5’ kid that has proven that he can shoot the 3’s at a D1 level is wrong . Maybe the kid was torn and decided he wanted to play for his old man .
When you have a child with issues as PS has a special bond forms better parents and child . Maybe the family felt very comfortable with KS as his coach and now his best choice is his Dad .

You're not just taking a 6'5 kid who can shoot, you're taking a 6'5 kid who can't do anything beside shoot. Can't play defense, poor ballhandler, definitely a sub-D1 player in terms of athleticism, with the last point serving to mitigate his one strength since he isn't athletic enough to create his own shot with any regularity. In other words, I think you're missing a large part of the equation here. If you're bringing in Stewart to sit out for a year, are you really getting your money's worth? I think it's pretty clear that he didn't have much D1 interest if he ended up at UT-Martin. I can't say that he didn't have any, but he sure as hell wasn't getting high major offers.

He never had a chance to play pro ball anywhere. That hasn't changed. I sure hope he gets a degree in something where he can get a real job out of college. Because he won't be playing basketball.

You’ll probably be wrong about that. He’ll take 20 shots a game for his dad and end up playing in Europe somewhere. Just because he left Pitt doesn’t automatically mean he sucks.

to play for daddy.

Good move for him I think. He's not going to play in the NBA but maybe if he can be a 17-18 PPG guy for his dad and help lead them to an NCAAT, he can help his dad get a bigger job and that's more money for the family. Seems like a shy, reserved, different kind of kid so playing for his dad makes sense. Plus, he doesn't have to sit out and if his dad were fired, he could transfer up without sitting out

Reactions: BFo8
far cry from Ohio State and Meechigan as some predicted.
Oh, @hoopsguy72 and @PittWhitt were predicting immediate eligibility at Duke or UNC with every blue blood and top program in the country having interest. hoopsguy even used PittWhitt's post as evidence he was right that Stewart and Carr were going to be coveted as transfer options. One ends up at a decent B1G school where the coach is very likely to be fired and the other ends up at UTM playing for his Dad. Their value was extremely limited. They got awful advice from their handlers and Stallings/Cage.

Absolutely hilarious. Better hope he shows out at UTM or Dad may be fired and he may be looking for a 3rd school real soon.

He did?!?! "Real interest"?!?! Come on. 0 top programs offered him this go round and he barely even had any offers. That was completely clear. BTW, he still has 3 years of eligibility, not 2.

Reactions: below0w
You’ll probably be wrong about that. He’ll take 20 shots a game for his dad and end up playing in Europe somewhere. Just because he left Pitt doesn’t automatically mean he sucks.

But unless he's standing still and has a clear shot, he won't score. And he definitely is one dimensional, if that. He's not athletic at all, plays poor or no defense, poor ball handler, not fast. Like I said, he better make sure he gets his degree. He'll need it.

Reactions: Chescat

Take a look at his offer sheet coming out. He averaged 9 ppg as a true freshman in the ACC. He’s long and can shoot.

Nobody’s suggesting he’s the next Steph Curry. But he’s a P5 level player for sure. He chose to play for his dad over other higher level options. This is a fact, not conjecture.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diehards.com/kansas-state/parker-stewart-kansas-state-top-4/amp

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Nobody’s suggesting he’s the next Steph Curry. But he’s a P5 level player for sure. He chose to play for his dad over other higher level options. This is a fact, not conjecture.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diehards.com/kansas-state/parker-stewart-kansas-state-top-4/amp

Is it really a fact that he had verifiable scholarship offers from P5 programs? Not just "interest?"

Why did it take two months for him to announce his decision?

I would have preferred he stayed at Pitt. Limited as he may be, he's a good enough shooter that we could have used him on next year's roster. Just not sure there was really all that much demand for him on the transfer market.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Take a look at his offer sheet coming out. He averaged 9 ppg as a true freshman in the ACC. He’s long and can shoot.

Why does everybody forget that defense is half of the game and Stewart gave up more points than he scored? Same goes for Carr. There's a reason we lost to everyone by an average of 20+ points and were 0-19 in the ACC.

If both of them learned to play defense, they might be serviceable in the ACC or in P6 college basketball. But at this time, they have a lot of work to do to get there.

Reactions: Chescat

He might have had 1-3 P5 offers. He wasn't coveted. The article lists him as a PG. Probably not the best source. Also, a kid releasing a "top 4" does not mean those schools offered him scholarships and he can go there. You know that.

Right. But that’s why it’s still an odd choice because where would you want a degree from, Pitt or UT Martin???

Reactions: PittCity
Right. But that’s why it’s still an odd choice because where would you want a degree from, Pitt or UT Martin???

Good point. It just doesn't make sense unless he doesn't care about getting a quality education. He'll get a degree, but not from Pitt.

A summary of PITT basketball.

When you think you have the answer someone changes the question.

But we'll keep, keeping on, won't we?

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

Reactions: PittCity
Why does everybody forget that defense is half of the game and Stewart gave up more points than he scored? Same goes for Carr. There's a reason we lost to everyone by an average of 20+ points and were 0-19 in the ACC.

If both of them learned to play defense, they might be serviceable in the ACC or in P6 college basketball. But at this time, they have a lot of work to do to get there.
Pitt played 5 freshman with none of them going to be lottery picks that’s why they lost those games by that amount of points . Not one of those guys should’ve been anything but spot players on an ACC team . He proved he could shoot from 3 and if it was so easy to do why hasn’t anyone else shot the ball that purely as a freshman at Pitt . You don’t have to be a future pro to be a good college player .

Those guys were true freshmen. Why don’t you list all the true freshman lockdown backcourt/wing defenders Pitt has had over the years? You know, the guys that really “got it” defensively as true freshmen. Please list them all for us.

Reactions: FireballZ
I don’t know about Stewart’s situation, but that’s why Trey Ziegler went to Central Michigan as a top 25 kid, and why Ray McCallum went U. of Detroit as a top 50 kid. Because their dads needed them to save their jobs.

These are terrible examples though because those two are classic examples of why not to choose family over your future. Both of them sacrificed good coaching and a possible pro career for their dads and paid the price.

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT