ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Stewart

Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
I don't expect anyone to remember, but two seasons ago I was brutal on here
when it came to this guy's floor play.

Fast forward to today, he's playing for his father at UT Martin. His point stats
are better than when he was here.

Pitt 2017-18 UT Martin 2019-20
Minutes 26 33
FG % 38% 34%
3pt.% 38% 30%
FT% 80% 76%
Rebounds 3.3 4.8
Points 9.1 13.8
(His game points are 9, 32, 5, 9) The 32 were against Western Illinois

Here's the Big thing he's done....He earned his degree in two, yes TWO years.
One year at Pitt, 2nd year as a transfer at UT Martin. While he was out that year
he took 25-28 credits per semester! Overall GPA at Pitt and UT...3.8. Now working
on his Masters Degree.

My hat is off to this guy!

By the way, UT-Martin's first game was against something called the St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Their nickname is the Eutectics. They are an NAIA school in the American Midwest Conference.

LOL...I didn't want to get into their schedule on herefor fear of piling on.
However cutting them somewhat of a break...they did play Wichiita State.

Funny thing...I saw Parker Stewart's name mentioned on here either today
or yesterday, and that inspired me to do a little search on how he's doing.
The only players' performances that ever really, really bothered me were
Stewart's and Brown's. I'm glad Stewart is doing well in ALL things
considered. I've also learned to appreciate Brown (somewhat LOL)
although his game still really frustrates me.

Reactions: Kaywood105
LOL...I didn't want to get into their schedule on herefor fear of piling on.
However cutting them somewhat of a break...they did play Wichiita State.

Funny thing...I saw Parker Stewart's name mentioned on here either today
or yesterday, and that inspired me to do a little search on how he's doing.
The only players' performances that ever really, really bothered me were
Stewart's and Brown's. I'm glad Stewart is doing well in ALL things
considered. I've also learned to appreciate Brown (somewhat LOL)
although his game still really frustrates me.

The only reason I gave it a second thought is that Pomeroy has it abbreviated "St Louis College of P" and I was wondering what in the heck that was.

Congrats to him for getting his schooling taken care of.

His numbers are worse. Efficiency is way down and against far easier competition. We don't need an undersized 30% shooter.

I think he's further proof that almost none of the Stallings era recruits were ACC caliber.

Congrats to him for getting his schooling taken care of.

His numbers are worse. Efficiency is way down and against far easier competition. We don't need an undersized 30% shooter.

I think he's further proof that almost none of the Stallings era recruits were ACC caliber.
Parker Stewart also started out really slow his freshman year here, so I wouldn't write him off just yet after a year away from the game. I still think he's a great 6th-7th man for an ACC program. Or a Cam Johnson type on a really good, title contending team later in his career (which we may see if he's already graduated and his dad is fired).

I don't expect anyone to remember, but two seasons ago I was brutal on here
when it came to this guy's floor play.

Fast forward to today, he's playing for his father at UT Martin. His point stats
are better than when he was here.

Pitt 2017-18 UT Martin 2019-20
Minutes 26 33
FG % 38% 34%
3pt.% 38% 30%
FT% 80% 76%
Rebounds 3.3 4.8
Points 9.1 13.8
(His game points are 9, 32, 5, 9) The 32 were against Western Illinois

Here's the Big thing he's done....He earned his degree in two, yes TWO years.
One year at Pitt, 2nd year as a transfer at UT Martin. While he was out that year
he took 25-28 credits per semester! Overall GPA at Pitt and UT...3.8. Now working
on his Masters Degree.

My hat is off to this guy!
Well.....only improved stat seems to be volume, not quality.
That said, 28 credits/semester wouldn't be enough...the kid obviously took summer classes, too. Gotta love it.....might see him in coaching roles.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Well.....only improved stat seems to be volume, not quality.
That said, 28 credits/semester wouldn't be enough...the kid obviously took summer classes, too. Gotta love it.....might see him in coaching roles.

The article said he took summer school courses at Pitt, along with his two
semesters as a frosh. It didn't mention summer classes or not at UT
Either way, a B.A. in two years, summers or not.... is incredible.
25-28 credits/semester...never heard of that before. An athlete on
scholarship doing that??...UNREAL!

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack
The article said he took summer school courses at Pitt, along with his two
semesters as a frosh. It didn't mention summer classes or not at UT
Either way, a B.A. in two years, summers or not.... is incredible.
25-28 credits/semester...never heard of that before. An athlete on
scholarship doing that??...UNREAL!
An intelligent young man like him could have walked onto campus Day 1 at Pitt with 30 credits in his pocket already from AP/IB classes or crossover credits from a Community College.

Murphy is light years ahead on where Parker was as a freshman defense. Not sure how much improved Parker is on D now.
The question I’d ask you is going forward this season will Pitt win or lose more games by the lack of offense or by the lack of having 5 solid defensive players on the court ? Unless X and Trey and co find their outside shooting eye this is going to be a long ugly season .
I think on this team both Parker Stewart and Marcus Carr could’ve positively contributed.

Reactions: PittPoker
The question I’d ask you is going forward this season will Pitt win or lose more games by the lack of offense or by the lack of having 5 solid defensive players on the court ? Unless X and Trey and co find their outside shooting eye this is going to be a long ugly season .
I think on this team both Parker Stewart and Marcus Carr could’ve positively contributed.
Maybe; but they are GONE!

Reactions: TWPitt
Maybe; but they are GONE!
They are , but it begs the question as to what kind of players you recruit . Obviously if you can find all everything type of kids it’s a no brainer , you take them , but on a 13 man roster there’s plenty of room for 2 guys who are offensive standouts . Over the years I watched OCC opponents come in with guards no one ever heard of that easily could’ve played for Pitt . There are guys out there that can shoot and play some
defense .

Hopefully GD displays the type of play that got him into the starting lineup , JC also looks to have potential offensively, Pitt needs some diversity in their offense .

JC needs to fill up the remaining spots in next yrs recruiting class with someone who can put points on the board from the perimeter . I can’t see X going anywhere next yr at this point in time so a 2 or a 3 that’s deadly to go along with Murphy can really help against teams taking the middle away from X and Trey . I understand the emphasis on length in this yrs class but Pitt really does need some offensive standouts to get to the next level .

They are , but it begs the question as to what kind of players you recruit . Obviously if you can find all everything type of kids it’s a no brainer , you take them , but on a 13 man roster there’s plenty of room for 2 guys who are offensive standouts . Over the years I watched OCC opponents come in with guards no one ever heard of that easily could’ve played for Pitt . There are guys out there that can shoot and play some
defense .

Hopefully GD displays the type of play that got him into the starting lineup , JC also looks to have potential offensively, Pitt needs some diversity in their offense .

JC needs to fill up the remaining spots in next yrs recruiting class with someone who can put points on the board from the perimeter . I can’t see X going anywhere next yr at this point in time so a 2 or a 3 that’s deadly to go along with Murphy can really help against teams taking the middle away from X and Trey . I understand the emphasis on length in this yrs class but Pitt really does need some offensive standouts to get to the next level .

Don't forget about Ithiel will be in the class for next year -- shot 40% from 3 last year.

An intelligent young man like him could have walked onto campus Day 1 at Pitt with 30 credits in his pocket already from AP/IB classes or crossover credits from a Community College.
My guess would be since his dad was employed by UT-Martin that he got free or highly reduced tuition and took his classes there. Much easier to get credit for those classes versus taking AP/IB courses. With AP/IB, after taking the courses, you have to take a final and have to get a high enough score for the college to accept the credits. Pitt requires a 5 or higher for IB course exams, not easy to do versus taking the college course-getting a passing grade and getting the credits transferred. We suggested that to my niece after my kids graduated from high school and she started at Gannon with 30+ credits from college classes she took in high school.

My guess would be since his dad was employed by UT-Martin that he got free or highly reduced tuition and took his classes there. Much easier to get credit for those classes versus taking AP/IB courses. With AP/IB, after taking the courses, you have to take a final and have to get a high enough score for the college to accept the credits. Pitt requires a 5 or higher for IB course exams, not easy to do versus taking the college course-getting a passing grade and getting the credits transferred. We suggested that to my niece after my kids graduated from high school and she started at Gannon with 30+ credits from college classes she took in high school.

This conversation of AP courses related to Stewart's graduating in 2 yrs
is way off track. First of all very few students come out of h.s with
"30+" AP credits. Recruited athletes doing this...almost never.
As was posted, Pitt requires a 5 on the very difficult standardized AP exam.
If in fact Stewart did do this....more power to him. Doing this as a high
level, recruited h.s. basketball player is highly unusual.
Here's a comparison.....Peterman (ex Pitt QB) came here as a graduate
transfer with two years of eligibility here at Pitt. To have done this Peterman
spent three years at UT. One of those yrs. was a redshirt year. The other
two yrs. he played. So he received his degree in three yrs, and had two
yrs of eligibility which he used at Pitt. THAT alone is very unusual. Stewart's
TWO yr. degree was far more unusual, and basically unheard of for
a college athlete on scholarship at a Div 1 school.
The original post was to actually praise Stewart. The following posts
almost make it seem as if it were no big deal to accomplish what he
did...which was a TWO year degree.
Congrats to your neice. Stewart's situation is a whole different matter.

Stewart is a smart kid. What he did in the classroom is of far more importance than anything he might do on the court. He knows what he is doing and getting prepared for life after college so he can earn a real living in something other than a game. He'll be successful. Kudos to Parker.

please elaborate...

JC has run some nice baseline out of bounds plays (2 versions) to get Murphy an open J. But in the half court O there is virtually nothing. I have not seen every minute so maybe something was ran when I was not watching...

I don’t care about crap vs NEC teams where Pitt has superior talent. And I would not call a high weave something we are using to get him open. I want to know what we ran against talent like WVU after they had a scouting report on him. He could barely get a good shot off against their size and athletic ability. So what do you do in those situations...you run actual sets to get him looks.

Against WVU where was the screen the screener action with Murphy as the initial screener? Where were elevator plays, flare screens, simple pin downs or single doubles. Guys like JJ Redick (who are not top level NBA athletes) have made a living from running hard off single doubles.

JD ran the same basic 2 plays for his shooters who were not great athletes (guys like Ashton and Ronald). Would be nice if Ronald taught JC this action.

Please remind me of the plays we ran vs WVU to get him open looks...? thanks

please elaborate...

JC has run some nice baseline out of bounds plays (2 versions) to get Murphy an open J. But in the half court O there is virtually nothing. I have not seen every minute so maybe something was ran when I was not watching...

I don’t care about crap vs NEC teams where Pitt has superior talent. And I would not call a high weave something we are using to get him open. I want to know what we ran against talent like WVU after they had a scouting report on him. He could barely get a good shot off against their size and athletic ability. So what do you do in those situations...you run actual sets to get him looks.

Against WVU where was the screen the screener action with Murphy as the initial screener? Where were elevator plays, flare screens, simple pin downs or single doubles. Guys like JJ Redick (who are not top level NBA athletes) have made a living from running hard off single doubles.

JD ran the same basic 2 plays for his shooters who were not great athletes (guys like Ashton and Ronald). Would be nice if Ronald taught JC this action.

Please remind me of the plays we ran vs WVU to get him open looks...? thanks
Wvu has athletic guards to minimize him -
That’s going to happen more often particularly as we don’t he e bigs who screen and pick effectively .

We can’t get motion to get a less than athletic shooter open with running him off 1 or 2 screeners .

dixon’s motion offensive utilized that because it’s literally the foundation of the offense .

it drove people crazy for some
Reason .

jj Reddick is a 6’4 elite shooter who has performed at the highest professional level for 6 years and is coveted .

that ain’t Murphy .

Wvu has athletic guards to minimize him -
That’s going to happen more often particularly as we don’t he e bigs who screen and pick effectively .

We can’t get motion to get a less than athletic shooter open with running him off 1 or 2 screeners .

dixon’s motion offensive utilized that because it’s literally the foundation of the offense .

it drove people crazy for some
Reason .

jj Reddick is a 6’4 elite shooter who has performed at the highest professional level for 6 years and is coveted .

that ain’t Murphy .

As I thought you could not tell me the plays we ran. You said we ran plays for him so tell us these plays? You can’t but will ramble on with some nonsense so you can try to get the last word in.

You say our bigs can’t set screens...whose fault is that? It’s not hard to teach a big to set a proper screen.

Have you heard of Ryan McMahon from Louisville? Tiny shooter even smaller and less athletic than Murphy but they run some nice simple sets to get him open from 3.

As far as the main action JD ran for guys like Ronald and Ashton (both small and not athletic) it was a simple action not ran out of his motion O. Most times they would start on the right wing and run down into the paint. 2 guys would be set up on the right block as screeners and one on the opposite block as a screener. Next they could could continue to the opposite side and come off the single screen after running them off the double. Or they could fake going through and pop back out to the right wing off the double screen (this was most effective) which led to a ton off open J’s. You could run other action off this but what I described was basically a single double and it got these shooters open. These guys (Ronald and Ashton) ran hard, read the D and set up their screens.

JD put these small shooters in position to get open J’s. Sure they were better than Murphy but they were put in position to get open looks. The same way McMahon of LVille is .

As I thought you could not tell me the plays we ran. You said we ran plays for him so tell us these plays? You can’t but will ramble on with some nonsense so you can try to get the last word in.

You say our bigs can’t set screens...whose fault is that? It’s not hard to teach a big to set a proper screen.

Have you heard of Ryan McMahon from Louisville? Tiny shooter even smaller and less athletic than Murphy but they run some nice simple sets to get him open from 3.

As far as the main action JD ran for guys like Ronald and Ashton (both small and not athletic) it was a simple action not ran out of his motion O. Most times they would start on the right wing and run down into the paint. 2 guys would be set up on the right block as screeners and one on the opposite block as a screener. Next they could could continue to the opposite side and come off the single screen after running them off the double. Or they could fake going through and pop back out to the right wing off the double screen (this was most effective) which led to a ton off open J’s. You could run other action off this but what I described was basically a single double and it got these shooters open. These guys (Ronald and Ashton) ran hard, read the D and set up their screens.

JD put these small shooters in position to get open J’s. Sure they were better than Murphy but they were put in position to get open looks. The same way McMahon of LVille is .

Murphy 3 pointers attempted per game

6, 7, 6, 2 (wvu), 3.

mcmahon is averaging 12.3 ppg
Murphy is averaging 12.8 ppg

McMahon is playing on a talented top ranked team .
He’s going to get more open looks as a result

production wise- so far - your perception doesn’t align with reality

The problem is that right now Pitt is not a difficult team to defend if you have similar athletes . Guard Murphy tight and lay off X and Trey so they don’t beat you off the dribble . Make those guys beat you from the outside because Pitt has no one whose going to beat you on inside .

I think Trey is the key to the season . Robert Morris couldn’t match up with him , but ACC level teams can . If he shoots well it will open up the offense and really help both Murphy and X .

Really how hard could it be to run 2 or 3 set plays for your only outside threat ?

The problem is that right now Pitt is not a difficult team to defend if you have similar athletes . Guard Murphy tight and lay off X and Trey so they don’t beat you off the dribble . Make those guys beat you from the outside because Pitt has no one whose going to beat you on inside .

I think Trey is the key to the season . Robert Morris couldn’t match up with him , but ACC level teams can . If he shoots well it will open up the offense and really help both Murphy and X .

Really how hard could it be to run 2 or 3 set plays for your only outside threat ?

That is a pretty simple explanation, but it's also a very good one IMO.

Reactions: 4upmc and TWPitt
Murphy 3 pointers attempted per game

6, 7, 6, 2 (wvu), 3.

mcmahon is averaging 12.3 ppg
Murphy is averaging 12.8 ppg

McMahon is playing on a talented top ranked team .
He’s going to get more open looks as a result

production wise- so far - your perception doesn’t align with reality

Key stat you left out McMahon 55% FG and 59% from 3 as compared to Murphy 42% FG and 37% from 3. Murphy is just as good of a shooter but he is not getting near as good of open looks because we don’t run any sets to get him open. You leaving out the shooting % is typical but not a surprise to anyone.

You avoiding the question on what sets Pitt runs to get Murphy open is not a surprise. You said in this very thread Pitt runs sets to get him open looks. So once again please back up your false claim with proof. I don’t expect you to name the sets or describe him coming of a weak side staggered screen etc as you don’t know the game like that. But with the limited BB knowledge you have please (for the 3rd time) describe the sets run to get him open shots.

Or you can do something you never do and just admit you don’t have a clue and are talking out ya azz. Thanks again.

Reactions: FireballZ
Key stat you left out McMahon 55% FG and 59% from 3 as compared to Murphy 42% FG and 37% from 3. Murphy is just as good of a shooter but he is not getting near as good of open looks because we don’t run any sets to get him open. You leaving out the shooting % is typical but not a surprise to anyone.

You avoiding the question on what sets Pitt runs to get Murphy open is not a surprise. You said in this very thread Pitt runs sets to get him open looks. So once again please back up your false claim with proof. I don’t expect you to name the sets or describe him coming of a weak side staggered screen etc as you don’t know the game like that. But with the limited BB knowledge you have please (for the 3rd time) describe the sets run to get him open shots.

Or you can do something you never do and just admit you don’t have a clue and are talking out ya azz. Thanks again.

lots of words

if he’s getting 3 point looks it’s because the offense is creating him looks - he isn’t creating his own shots

how many attempts per game would satisfy your requirement for sets run specially for him ?

It wouldn’t be hard at all. But according to know it all Souf4 (we all know he has no clue) we run sets lol. Still waiting for him to tell us what sets we run but of course he dances around the question because he can’t name any as we don’t run any.

lots of words

if he’s getting 3 point looks it’s because the offense is creating him looks - he isn’t creating his own shots

how many attempts per game would satisfy your requirement for sets run specially for him ?

Once again you avoid the question hahaha. Just as I thought. I make you look dumb (not hard to do) and you try to avoid the question.

I’ll help you out since you are having trouble and avoiding the question. See below the question you answered.

Does Pitt run plays for Murphy? Like set off ball screens to get him open looks?

We know you are a little slow but try your best to make up an answer. Can’t wait this should be funny.

Btw I’m guessing or maybe wishing we are going to run a set to get him open tonight. Would be a nice surprise if it happens. Get experience practicing sets against poor comp.

Last edited:
Once again you avoid the question hahaha. Just as I thought. I make you look dumb (not hard to do) and you try to avoid the question.

I’ll help you out since you are having trouble and avoiding the question. See below the question you answered.

We know you are a little slow but try your best to make up an answer. Can’t wait this should be funny.

Btw I’m guessing or maybe wishing we are going to run a set to get him open tonight. Would be a nice surprise if it happens. Get experience practicing sets against poor comp.
Say like 6 looks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT