ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde weighs in on the Stallings hire, and it's not good

Jesus Christ, do I post in invisible ink. I linked all of the articles from those days on both football and basketball from that era in regards to investigations and sanctions.
Owtie, shere apparently didn't read your links, so I just reinforced them. He's in some kind of weird denial.

Reactions: sherepower
You were the one who brought up the inverse. There was likely no obvious, realistic #1 candidate, which is obviously something that should've been considered earlier, but let's leave that out of the current discussion.

If you dine out somewhere nice downtown, and are shot, that does not make the decision to eat at a restaurant a poor decision. If you are married for 30 years and your wife suddenly has an affair, that doesn't mean you made a poor decision 30 years prior. There was likely no reasonable way of predicting those poor outcomes in advance.

Would you rather sign a 3* recruit or a 5*? You're probably going to have more success with the 5*, but that's not certain. Teams with more 5*s are probably better than teams with 3*s. That's called probability.

Making a "good hire" is more likely to be successful than making a "poor hire" and hoping to prove everyone wrong.
You present the worst analogies I've ever had the misfortune of reading..

I brought up the inverse as the logical flip side of your coin.

I think the real reason Pitt got a lot of the players you named. John Calipari. Its amazing what a school can do in recruiting when you have a young,energetic coach with a great personality can do. Which i why i think Pitt pulled those types of players.

If he was at another school. He would of done the exact same thing
Yeah, the fact that Cal is the only coach in NCAA history to have not only one but two Final Four's vacated is all because if his great personality too.

This is a guy who lied to recruits, claiming Lou Carnaseca was dying of cancer, to try to get an advantage. He's slime.

Stick your ostrich head back in the sand if you want. You're not living in the same world everyone else is.

You will be able to time when Kentucky will get nailed by the NCAA, it is when Calipari finally gets another $hot at NBA money and it was "too good to pa$$ up"

Correct, he doesn't compare favorably to Cal. Who could debate that point?

No one?

But you are using cal to say Dixon is a crappy coach. That is an outrageous argument.

That would be like saying gerrit Cole sucks because he isn't sandy Koufax.

Yeah, the fact that Cal is the only coach in NCAA history to have not only one but two Final Four's vacated is all because if his great personality too.

This is a guy who lied to recruits, claiming Lou Carnaseca was dying of cancer, to try to get an advantage. He's slime.

Stick your ostrich head back in the sand if you want. You're not living in the same world everyone else is.
What violation has been attributed to him? None! You're just a Dixon apologist playing the only angle you could possibly play. That's what guys on the losing side of the argument always do. Try again. Do you have another clueless argument?

Reactions: FireballZ
No one?

But you are using cal to say Dixon is a crappy coach. That is an outrageous argument.

That would be like saying gerrit Cole sucks because he isn't sandy Koufax.
I didn't say Dixon was crappy. You made that inference because you are a Dixin groupie who can't admit that he's just an abive average coach.

Reactions: TD_istheman
What violation has been attributed to him? None! You're just a Dixon apologist playing the only angle you could possibly play. That's what guys on the losing side of the argument always do. Try again. Do you have another clueless argument?
There is nothing clueless about pointing out Cal is the only HC coach in history to have Final Fours vacated at 2 different schools after he left town...leaving others to take the fall and the heat. It is not coincidence. Good coach. Great recruiter. Slippery beyond belief.

Yet, he continues to coach at the highest level. On top of winning championships.

You would think if a guy cheats as much as some claim. He would of been banned from the NCAA. You know like a Calvin Sampson.
I can't remember JC getting banned.......hmmm

Yet, he continues to coach at the highest level. On top of winning championships.

You would think if a guy cheats as much as some claim. He would of been banned from the NCAA. You know like a Calvin Sampson.
I can't remember JC getting banned.......hmmm

Calvin Sampson isn't banned. Neither is Kelvin Sampson. Kelvin Sampson is currently the Head Coach at Houston.

Here's a quote from a college coach on Calipari. He truly is a fantastically gifted cheater, it's why the NCAA dings him on other things. He makes sure the paper trail doesn't connect back to him:

'"Cal probably doesn't have to cheat now as much as he used to, but he's still the standard. The rest of us can't even deal in his league. He's the best."'

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalEther
Calvin Sampson isn't banned. Neither is Kelvin Sampson. Kelvin Sampson is currently the Head Coach at Houston.

Here's a quote from a college coach on Calipari. He truly is a fantastically gifted cheater, it's why the NCAA dings him on other things. He makes sure the paper trail doesn't connect back to him:

'"Cal probably doesn't have to cheat now as much as he used to, but he's still the standard. The rest of us can't even deal in his league. He's the best."'

To be fair, for all we know the is a Calvin Sampson somewhere who is banned from coaching something.

Yeah i know. I thought he had to serve a year or 2 suspension.
Which he was out of the game for that length of time before Houston hired him

Yeah i know. I thought he had to serve a year or 2 out of the game. Which he was out of the game for length of time before Houston hired him

Assistant Coach in the NBA. May have gotten a showcause, but he was untouchable anyway since he chose to try to fight the NCAA. The beauty of Calipari is he leaves right as the NCAA starts coming around. Was already in the NBA by the time his penalties at UMass hit, whereas these other coaches stick around and go down with their school.

Frank Haith also has the Calipari trick down pat. He leaves about a year before the school gets investigated.

Last edited:
Dixon couldn't recruit even if he did cheat. Players would still be faced with playing in his awful offense.
Which earned Pitt a few Big East regular season championships, a Big East Tourney Championship, 2 # 1 seeds, a #1 ranking in the polls and 11 NCAA's in 13 years.

Quit while you're behind...which is pretty much always

Dixon couldn't recruit even if he did cheat. Players would still be faced with playing in his awful offense.

Amazingly enough he still has the highest winning percentage in the history of the Big East conference. He either recruits good enough or is the best coach in the history of basketball to do that with terrible players.

Some of you just love to cuck it out regardless of which side of the issue you stand on. It's breathtakingly stupid and awe-inspiring all at once. I applaud you all.
We def love cucking it out. Thank you for your applause. Now enough with the pleasantries and get cucking .

Which earned Pitt a few Big East regular season championships, a Big East Tourney Championship, 2 # 1 seeds, a #1 ranking in the polls and 11 NCAA's in 13 years.

Quit while you're behind...which is pretty much always
And early exits from the ncaa's... If you're going to tell the story, tell the whole story, groupie.

Amazingly enough he still has the highest winning percentage in the history of the Big East conference. He either recruits good enough or is the best coach in the history of basketball to do that with terrible players.
The first 8 years are hard to believe given the last 5 years, doesn't it? Seems strange how he completely lost his way. Couldn't recruit a lick .

The first 8 years are hard to believe given the last 5 years, doesn't it? Seems strange how he completely lost his way. Couldn't recruit a lick .

And still had better recruiting classes on average than the guy he's been replaced by.

But, but, but it's SO hard to get kids into Vanderbilt. Give me a break.

And still had better recruiting classes on average than the guy he's been replaced by.

But, but, but it's SO hard to get kids into Vanderbilt. Give me a break.
Like everyone else, I'm miffed by the replacement....can't say anything more than that.

Washers once gave Dixon a chance, when he was a bigger risk than the current hire. Are they so in love with a man, they can't root for their school and new coach, to try and get us where Dixon couldn't.

Reactions: Delpanther
Almost every D1 program committs minor infractions. Thats hardly cheating.

I consider cheating when a program is put on probation.
When the NCAA takes scholarships or does not allow teams to play in bowls or NCAA tournaments. Neither happened at Pitt.

So again, if Ralph Willard could bring in a top 5 class in his 1st year. So can someone else who coaches at Pitt.......geezus
So, you can excuse ALL cheating that goes unpunished??? That means it's OK to lie, steal, cheat on your spouse and sell heroin to grade school kids if you don't get caught?? Nice set of ethics, there, shere.

Washers once gave Dixon a chance, when he was a bigger risk than the current hire. Are they so in love with a man, they can't root for their school and new coach, to try and get us where Dixon couldn't.
Another false narrative. The count is now at 1,874.

Reactions: Ski11585
So, you can excuse ALL cheating that goes unpunished??? That means it's OK to lie, steal, cheat on your spouse and sell heroin to grade school kids if you don't get caught?? Nice set of ethics, there, shere.
The truth is somewhere in between. I think most schools know how to navigate in the "rule" spaces which give them a recruiting advantage. I think Pitt's either too stupid, timid ot cheap to do the same. As is the case with most laws/regulations, there are things that are clearly legal, things that are clearly illegal and things which fall in the gaps. You have to learn to play in the gaps. Pitt has never been terribly shrewd-that's the problem as opposed to suggesting that what Pitt has to do is embrace cheating whole hog.

The truth is somewhere in between. I think most schools know how to navigate in the "rule" spaces which give them a recruiting advantage. I think Pitt's either too stupid, timid ot cheap to do the same. As is the case with most laws/regulations, there are things that are clearly legal, things that are clearly illegal and things which fall in the gaps. You have to learn to play in the gaps. Pitt has never been terribly shrewd-that's the problem as opposed to suggesting that what Pitt has to do is embrace cheating whole hog.
Sorta like getting "a little bit pregnant"?? Don't break the rules, no worries. Sadly, it might be impossible to avoid breaking the rules, there are so many.

You have to get as close to the line as possible without stepping over. If you are not, then you are fighting a gun fight with a knife. I didn't say CHEAT, but around the rules legally and use the rules as much as possible, leaving no stone unturned. If you are not willing to play the game then get out. I don't mean cheating , I mean getting as far as you can to the line with the rest, but don't topple over.

There are a lot of Pitt football only fans that resent the previous coach for the success he had, lifting the program to heights where national analysts regularly called Pitt a basketball school. We have seen many of these people migrate over here lately to celebrate him being out.
Your inability to escape the endless hole of negativity is starting to create some delusional aspects to your posting, You see an anti Jamie bogeyman behind every door. The fact is, many on here were very supportive of Jamie and thought he did a great job, but now Jamie is gone and it's time to just move on. The hire may not be as appealing to some as it is to others, but even most of those who don't like the hire are reasonable enough to give the man a fair chance over the next few years to prove his worth on the basketball surface. Come on now, even you must have a little fairness running in you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT