ADVERTISEMENT

Per Athletic, Cal, Stanford, and SMU voted in

Dream on.... You guys really are grasping at straws. I respect you HTP725, but this post sounds more like SMF than you.
We’ll likely disagree on this, and that’s OK. For me, it comes down to two reasons:

1. The additional revenue from Cal/SMU/Stanford, along with our forecasted payouts through 2030, will either match or put us ahead of the Big 12 even after their new media deal begins next year.
2. The ESPN has a financial incentive to prioritize the ACC over the Big 12 due to the ACC Network, which should see increased revenues with the inroads to California and Texas.

With that in mind, what will the media landscape look like for collegiate athletics in 2030? Is it a guarantee that the Big 12 gets an even larger deal? Would any of their members consider leaving for more money in the ACC? Does ESPN lowball the conference to push their existing brands over to the ACC? They just did it with the Pac-12. I think those are all things that should be considered.

I was in the same boat as you re: the ACC’s fate prior to these additions. Now, I’m a little more bullish.

Reactions: DavidVC
I really hope when 2030 rolls around that the better public and private schools in the ACC and Big 12 go off and form their own conference. No more Wake Forest, BC, Baylor, TCU, Louisville and so on.
I have said this before. It would make a better conference if both fold and you take the best 16 or 20. Let's assume that the sec takes 4 and the big ten 2 that leaves the acc at 8 schools. Big 12 has what 16. If you take the best 20 from that group and eliminate the wake forest and duplicate markets like byu Utah. You have a much stronger conference then if you take either the B12 or acc and add the others schools.

With three new voting members, what are the chances they now have the votes/interest in Or St and Wazzu? It's probably low, but not zero.

Last edited:
It is desperate. Make no mistake, this was done for one reason only.....to keep the conference above 15 members when FSU, UNC, and Clemson bolt someday. If the conference dipped below 15 members, ESPN had the contractual right to redo the ACC TV deal.

So, this move really solves very little. Those 3 schools are still going tho bolt as soon as possible. Yes, there are a few million extra $$ being made, but so little that it doesn't solve any of the core issues. And, in return for the money, you're going to have to travel 2500 miles a time or two per year to play a shitty team.
I don't think it was done to keep the acc over 15 if that's the case they could have added whomever when those teams actually left. Just like the B12 did. If those teams leave I would expect several others to try and leave as well. Think VA tech is just ok staying without those schools and they would be a solid add in a new market for either of the big 2. So in that case the acc has to add another team anyway. If the reasoning is to add to get above 15 why not go to 20. This was done because it brings in more revenue. Pure and simple they will basically get to keep a additional 50 to 60 million a year and all probably get a few million extra a year for the acc network. It's not a lot but why turn down 4 or 5 million a year.

Reactions: DavidVC
We’ll likely disagree on this, and that’s OK. For me, it comes down to two reasons:

1. The additional revenue from Cal/SMU/Stanford, along with our forecasted payouts through 2030, will either match or put us ahead of the Big 12 even after their new media deal begins next year.
2. The ESPN has a financial incentive to prioritize the ACC over the Big 12 due to the ACC Network, which should see increased revenues with the inroads to California and Texas.

With that in mind, what will the media landscape look like for collegiate athletics in 2030? Is it a guarantee that the Big 12 gets an even larger deal? Would any of their members consider leaving for more money in the ACC? Does ESPN lowball the conference to push their existing brands over to the ACC? They just did it with the Pac-12. I think those are all things that should be considered.

I was in the same boat as you re: the ACC’s fate prior to these additions. Now, I’m a little more bullish.
I actually don't disagree with you. The reality is, none of us knows how this plays out sometime around 2030 (which is the earliest I see the ACC being able to poach B12 teams or visa versa). Which conference is in the strongest position at that time will likely be determined by how our teams perform on the court, field, and in TV viewership between now and then. Soooo, this would be a good time for the teams of each conference to step up and start winning big games.

First, it's you're, not your (I understand, it's the Pitt education). More importantly, the B12 didn't give the PAC teams shit...ESPN & FOX covered the full extra cost. And, we got some great teams (AZ for basketball and Utah for football). In the meantime, you got three shitty teams that will soon be disgruntled at the concessions they made and you'll still have at least 3 existing teams that can't wait to bail on the shinking ship named ACC.

So, you can put lipstick on the pig....but it's still a pig. But, glad you're happy.....
You are a child.

I actually don't disagree with you. The reality is, none of us knows how this plays out sometime around 2030 (which is the earliest I see the ACC being able to poach B12 teams or visa versa). Which conference is in the strongest position at that time will likely be determined by how our teams perform on the court, field, and in TV viewership between now and then. Soooo, this would be a good time for the teams of each conference to step up and start winning big games.
Yup, that’s all we really can do between now and then.

3 pages and not one post about what the league can do on the field

2030 is right around the corner and in some ways its a long time from now.

We should expect Miami to elevate. Are they able to become the U again? Dont know.

But a Miami program.....a better Va Tech program and the addition of deep pockets SMU ( convinced they are going to flood money into football) makes the ACC a more valuable product

And Pitt needs to keep winning 9+

3 pages and not one post about what the league can do on the field

2030 is right around the corner and in some ways its a long time from now.

We should expect Miami to elevate. Are they able to become the U again? Dont know.

But a Miami program.....a better Va Tech program and the addition of deep pockets SMU ( convinced they are going to flood money into football) makes the ACC a more valuable product

And Pitt needs to keep winning 9+
So is 2050.

On some sinister level, it's kind of funny that some donors ponied up $400M to allow a football team that like 32,000 people follow to play in a less sucky conference, while things like world hunger are so pervasive. Satan approves, haha. Maybe he was the deciding vote.

Reactions: pittdan77
Does the Dallas market mean anything? Can’t imagine a it’s a nothing.

If so might be the reason to add Houston as someone else suggested.

I know nothing so I might be out of my mind. But those are both big areas.

DFW Market:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Texas Tech
5. Oklahoma State
6. Arkansas
7. SMU or TCU

SMU doesn't come close to bringing the Dallas market.

I’d imagine so. It alleviates travel on both existing members and Cal/Stanford. SMU also makes a lot of sense due to DFW.

SMU’s new soccer and track facility opened up last fall and it’s one of the best in the country. Great all-around location for a “hub.”
Track3.jpg

In a big-time soccer state like Texas, SMU is the only men's college soccer D1 program, incredibly.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
In a big-time soccer state like Texas, SMU is the only men's college soccer D1 program, incredibly.
Now what’s interesting is that if this model is adopted for all Olympic sports, SMU does not have a baseball team (or stadium) at the moment. That might be something they look to add in the near future.

plus those 10pm Tuesday night hoop games will be great...

Cal and Stanford don't play Tuesday night conference basketball games now. Why would the ACC have them play them when the join?

Schools are going to get a Thursday - Saturday or Friday - Sunday Cal - Stanford road "doubleheader". But yeah, there might be some 10:00 games among them. So that the ACC Network can show a 6:00, 8:00, 10:00 tripleheader.

Cal and Stanford don't play Tuesday night conference basketball games now. Why would the ACC have them play them when the join?

Schools are going to get a Thursday - Saturday or Friday - Sunday Cal - Stanford road "doubleheader". But yeah, there might be some 10:00 games among them. So that the ACC Network can show a 6:00, 8:00, 10:00 tripleheader.

And a once every 2 years 10PM game in NorCal is way better than a 9PM home game in Pgh.

Th
I think Stanford and Cal are at least somewhat valuable. Not just on the field, but the markets they bring, accessibility, etc. And I'm sure academics and non-revenue sports are at least a consideration.

I admit to knowing very little about Oregon State and Washington State, but they seem closer to the Vanderbilts and Northwesterns of that conference than the Alabamas and Ohio States (value-wise, I mean).
Correct Oregon St and Washington St aren't bad football programs but they are in small towns and aren't big names. They don't add much market value and it's not going to be easy to get to from most acc markets without several layovers or private charter. Thing about the three they added is they aren't hard to get to being in major markets.

What does this do to the ND-Stanford series? I would hope they had ND agree to play a 7th conference game instead of getting to count Stanford as one of their 6, and that they keep an 8 game conference schedule.

As much as I dislike ND, that arrangement would push them even closer to joining the ACC (they can't be convinced to play a game against BC or Miami this year instead of Central Michigan or Tennessee St.?) and ending all of the realignment angst indefinitely.

Last edited:
What does this do with the ND-Stanford series? I would hope they had ND agree to play a 7th conference game instead of getting to count Stanford as one of their 6, and that they keep an 8 game conference schedule.

As much as I dislike ND, that arrangement would push them even closer to joining the ACC (they can't be convinced to play a game against BC this year instead of Central Michigan or Tennessee St.?) and ending all of the realignment angst indefinitely.

I can't imagine that Stanford is going to get any "special" treatment with regards to Notre Dame. Especially since we didn't. We have played Notre Dame 69 times. Stanford has played them 36. We are Notre Dame's 4th most played opponent. Stanford is 10th. In fact Notre Dame has played Georgia Tech one more time than they have played Stanford.

Reactions: ThePanthers
We just took in three of those same types of programs. Will THEY be free forever? Of course not.

At least adding these would give these other western schools more opponents on their own coast.

We should try to find something in Texas or thereabouts to give SMU a partner as well. Of course on the condition that it’ll come in “free” as well.

As far as the future, the whole thing is likely to collapse well before 2036 (ACC deal) or even 2030 (Big 12 deal) ever even get near, so why even worry about it.

Since we have opened the floodgates, may s as well open them wide.
If the acc is intact in 2028 or 2029 they should be proactive in raiding the big 12. Add Colorado and Arizonaor Arizona st only one not both. That's a five team western pod. Add wvu and form three other 5 team eastern pods. 20 team conference. Each team plays 4 pod games and then 4 against another pod rotate the pods each year and you play every one in conference every three years. For basketball you play everyone in your pod twice home and home and two other pods for 16 games. Limits travel somewhat.

In the meantime, you got three shitty teams that will soon be disgruntled at the concessions they made and you'll still have at least 3 existing teams that can't wait to bail on the shinking ship named ACC.

So, you can put lipstick on the pig....but it's still a pig. But, glad you're happy.....
So it's bad to have teams the big 2 actually want, but much better to have teams they don't want. This along with a WVU fan bringing up travel is good stuff.

Think a little about what you're saying before you type.

Reactions: pittdan77
I can't imagine that Stanford is going to get any "special" treatment with regards to Notre Dame. Especially since we didn't. We have played Notre Dame 69 times. Stanford has played them 36. We are Notre Dame's 4th most played opponent. Stanford is 10th. In fact Notre Dame has played Georgia Tech one more time than they have played Stanford.
Also, was there not some sort of deal that Pitt played ND during WW2 helping them out?

You're almost certainly going to be right, I'm just hoping because this never ending cash grab is taking a lot of the enjoyment out of college football for me.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
First, it's you're, not your (I understand, it's the Pitt education). More importantly, the B12 didn't give the PAC teams shit...ESPN & FOX covered the full extra cost. And, we got some great teams (AZ for basketball and Utah for football). In the meantime, you got three shitty teams that will soon be disgruntled at the concessions they made and you'll still have at least 3 existing teams that can't wait to bail on the shinking ship named ACC.

Here is what you big 12 idiots don't realize the only reason your conference exist is because no one wants any of your teams. But the acc is worse because it has teams that the big two want. How does that make sense. In 2029 I sincerely hope the acc poaches the B12 for want it wants and at this point I hope they leave WVU to rot.

d

Dream on.... You guys really are grasping at straws. I respect you HTP725, but this post sounds more like SMF than you.
The GOR is pretty much unbreakable. NC explored the possibility of getting out this summer and basically said there is no real way to do it and not come out further behind than just staying in the acc. If you have to payout 350 million to get out 10 years early the extra 30 million extra you get suddenly doesn't seem like much and NC, Clemson etc know they aren't getting left out, so they can wait. B12 is going to be up way before the acc and they will have to worry about being poached. Now I will admit no one other than the acc has any interest in the programs in the b12 but the acc can likely get a few to pickup the phone if they decide they want them.

It will be interesting to see what deals the BIG and SEC can get next time around, becuase the cable subscriber base keeps dropping. I am surprised the BIG got such a BIG deal this time, but ESPN probably overpaid.
At some point, the biggest programs in the BIG and SEC are going to look at merging a super conference with only the top teams. So Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc will be out. Not sure how that will happen, but it eventually will happen.

What is the 2024 schedule gonna look like now? Does the current opponent list get shaken up? Does this add a conference game to the schedule?

Just curious what this does? I’m all for 1 random west coast road trip too. Driving through WV every other week does get old.

How could the B12 poach acc teams in 2030, six years before the GOR ends but the acc not be able to poach teams in the b12 until 2030. Truth is if the acc wants, ie they can get everyone on board they likely can get some of the B12 schools to jump in 2028.

Anyone think Conference USA , i mean little12 will ever have a team in the top 20 Recruiting Rankings ?
And what does ACC look like when it's biggest football programs leave? With the shit that Pitt and WVU fans talk you would think they are the ones carrying the ACC and Big 12.

Reactions: bdur76
It will be interesting to see what deals the BIG and SEC can get next time around, becuase the cable subscriber base keeps dropping. I am surprised the BIG got such a BIG deal this time, but ESPN probably overpaid.
At some point, the biggest programs in the BIG and SEC are going to look at merging a super conference with only the top teams. So Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc will be out. Not sure how that will happen, but it eventually will happen.
Agreed. This is what both adds to and reduces the sting from all the conference decisions of the past couple months, because they are just going to be temporary. The ultimate direction is a super league of the top football schools. And all the rest will reorganize into at least one, possibly even multiple, lesser leagues. At that point nobody will remember nor care who was in the Big 12 or ACC for a couple fleeting years, nor that once upon a time, Northwestern was in something once called the Big Ten or Vanderbilt was in something once called the SEC.

What is the 2024 schedule gonna look like now? Does the current opponent list get shaken up? Does this add a conference game to the schedule?

Just curious what this does? I’m all for 1 random west coast road trip too. Driving through WV every other week does get old.
We likely move to a nine-game conference schedule with two permanent opponents. Play two annually and the rest in two rotations of seven. Cal, SMU, and Stanford would likely be each other’s opponents. Let’s say our’s are Boston College and Syracuse. For 2024, it’d probably look something like this:

• Annual games: Boston College, Syracuse
• Even years: Cal, Duke, FSU, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State, Virginia Tech
• Odd years: Clemson, Miami, SMU, Stanford, UNC, Virginia, Wake Forest

Reactions: GaryMcgheeForThree
And what does ACC look like when its biggest football programs leave? With the shit that Pitt and WVU fans talk you would think they are the ones carrying the ACC and Big 12.
In our case, we have been carrying the ACC a little bit lately. 2021 conference champions, third most conference wins last season. One of only a handful of teams to win more than 20 games the previous two seasons. Not our fault that the rest of the conference has been down!

• Haha
Reactions: Submuloc Ni UVW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT